Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maudrecus Humphrey

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, November 19, 2009, 08:53:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Boot_stops_here

Looks like this kid was very impressed with his visit last weekend...would be a very solid get...especially if Lucas came with him...offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi St, Kentucky, Nebraska, Louisville, West Virginia and others.

"I had heard they had the best facilities and they have proven that," Humphrey said. "I have seen everything and I just love it. I mean I really like it here."

razorback44

Where did you get that quote from?  Last I had heard was that he was high on Ole Miss?  Now why any WR would choose Ole Miss's anemic pass offense over our well oiled machine is baffling to me but that is just what I had heard.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hog on the Hill

I doubt we take two more WRs in this class, given that we're only going to take 18-20 overall (per Tim Horton interview a few weeks ago).  If we can get Marcus Lucas, I don't know if Humphrey will have a spot.  That's just my speculation though.

We have 15 recruits already, and if we take one WR that will only leave us with 2-4 spots to fill.  With our needs on defense, I don't see how we could justify taking another WR.  The only other offensive recruits we should be taking are OL and maybe a very good RB if we can get one.

OKhogfan1959

Hog on the Hill? Are you serious? I don't care what you have you take the type WRs we are getting a chance at! You never turn down a great WR!!!! never!!!

I agree though we do need defense. And it's obvious that the staff knows this.

Music City Hog

Quote from: razorback44 on November 19, 2009, 09:12:17 am
Where did you get that quote from?  Last I had heard was that he was high on Ole Miss?  Now why any WR would choose Ole Miss's anemic pass offense over our well oiled machine is baffling to me but that is just what I had heard.

Free article on Scout right now

3kgthog

This staff will always recruit offense first. They'll take him if he wants to be here.

razorback44

"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 19, 2009, 09:27:07 am
Hog on the Hill? Are you serious? I don't care what you have you take the type WRs we are getting a chance at! You never turn down a great WR!!!! never!!!

I agree though we do need defense. And it's obvious that the staff knows this.
Yes, of course I am serious.  Defense is a much bigger need right now.  Do you think we lost any games this season because we didn't have enough depth at WR?  I don't think so.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on November 19, 2009, 09:32:45 am
Yes, of course I am serious.  Defense is a much bigger need right now.  Do you think we lost any games this season because we didn't have enough depth at WR?  I don't think so.

If we take more than one more wide receiver I think it will be an indication that their aren't many quality defensive prospects that are interested.  Hope I'm wrong.

beansandtaters

Actually, now that you mention it, during our slump in which we lost at FL and Ole Miss (which were both winnable games) we were without Joe and London. Put Joe Adams on the field in those games and I think we may win both.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: beansandtaters on November 19, 2009, 09:37:20 am
Actually, now that you mention it, during our slump in which we lost at FL and Ole Miss (which were both winnable games) we were without Joe and London. Put Joe Adams on the field in those games and I think we may win both.
You might be right about Florida, but I don't think we lost to Ole Miss because of a lack of WRs.  I think we lost because of Dexter McCluster and our inability to run the ball.  We had to try to convert 3rd and long way too often and they won the time of possession by 15 minutes.  37:13 to 22:47

LJHOG

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 19, 2009, 09:32:07 am
This staff will always recruit offense first.

If true, I think that's a mistake for an SEC team.  If you can't play D like bama and LSU you can't win consistently in the SEC.

PorkCheops

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on November 19, 2009, 09:39:46 am
You might be right about Florida, but I don't think we lost to Ole Miss because of a lack of WRs.  I think we lost because of Dexter McCluster and our inability to run the ball.  We had to try to convert 3rd and long way too often and they won the time of possession by 15 minutes.  37:13 to 22:47

Against the "University" of Mississippi, the problem was not so much the number of receivers we had as it was the number of receivers we had who could not catch a ball. 
"The problem is not only to win souls but to save minds. If you win the whole world and lose the mind of the world, you will soon discover that you have not won the world. Indeed it may turn out that you have actually lost the world."  Charles Malik

JackJohnson

Quote from: LJHOG on November 19, 2009, 09:41:59 am

If true, I think that's a mistake for an SEC team.  If you can't play D like bama and LSU you can't win consistently in the SEC.

Sorry, but this kind of stuff just gets under my skin.  What has the coaches shown to EVER make people question their intelligence?  Do people actually believe that Coach Petrino is not smart enough to know that we have to have a dominant D to get us to where we need to go?

By the same token, if the coaches feel like they are getting the next Childs, Adams, Wright, Hamilton, etc, why in the world would ANYONE want us to turn them down?

OKhogfan1959

You're dead wrong then. You never turn down big talent at WR..We need defense and still have enough schollies to get that done.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: PorkCheops on November 19, 2009, 09:45:44 am
Against the "University" of Mississippi, the problem was not so much the number of receivers we had as it was the number of receivers we had who could not catch a ball. 

I got you PC..We just needed someone to actually catch the ball in that game.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 19, 2009, 10:46:08 am
I got you PC..We just needed someone to actually catch the ball in that game.
That was a twilight zone game for our WR.  Jarius dropped a catchable pass that would have been an easy TD. Cobi dropped a catchable pass for first down. Greg dropped some critical passes as well. Of courses Joe was a HUGH loss.

SquidBilly

Getting both Humphrey and Lucas would be great for the program.  For those who are complaining about defensive needs consider this, it is a lot easier to build a high powered offense through recruiting with Petrino's scheme than it is to build a top ranked defense.  Defensive players really need two years minimum to get strong enough and used to the speed to become good players.  Offensive skill players can come in right away and contribute in a big way.  So if Petrino's plan is to get us into the BCS picture sooner than later then he is best served to accumulate weapons on offense and then get enough defensive talent to make us decent on that side of the ball.  As we've seen lately we are capable of outscoring people now.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 19, 2009, 10:45:09 am
You're dead wrong then. You never turn down big talent at WR..We need defense and still have enough schollies to get that done.
We have 15 commitments and according to Tim Horton we are only taking 18-20.  Most of our commitments are on offense.  So, you're saying we'll still take 2 WRs?  You might be right, but I think it would be at the expense of our defensive recruiting.

I'm also not convinced Maudrecus Humphrey has the talent that you just can't say no to.  I haven't seen any video of him so I don't have much to judge from, but have you?

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: ATLpiggie on November 19, 2009, 11:17:12 am
Getting both Humphrey and Lucas would be great for the program.  For those who are complaining about defensive needs consider this, it is a lot easier to build a high powered offense through recruiting with Petrino's scheme than it is to build a top ranked defense.  Defensive players really need two years minimum to get strong enough and used to the speed to become good players.  Offensive skill players can come in right away and contribute in a big way.  So if Petrino's plan is to get us into the BCS picture sooner than later then he is best served to accumulate weapons on offense and then get enough defensive talent to make us decent on that side of the ball.  As we've seen lately we are capable of outscoring people now.
So since it takes so long to develop defensive recruits, you think the solution is to continue to neglect defensive recruiting and focus on offense?  I think that's just going to dig us a deeper hole.

I think our recruiting class is fine right now but we can't afford to fill the rest of it with only offensive players.  To me, taking another two WR just seems excessive and neglectful of defense.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on November 19, 2009, 11:11:32 am
That was a twilight zone game for our WR.  Jarius dropped a catchable pass that would have been an easy TD. Cobi dropped a catchable pass for first down. Greg dropped some critical passes as well. Of courses Joe was a HUGH loss.

I agree..That was an off game for sure..I am very happy with this core of receivers..They are something else! Just a really bad game..Kind of like when a one guy on a team misses a couple of FTs in basketball and the whole team start missing..Just a crazy game for sure.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on November 19, 2009, 12:24:34 pm
So since it takes so long to develop defensive recruits, you think the solution is to continue to neglect defensive recruiting and focus on offense?  I think that's just going to dig us a deeper hole.

Absolutely not.  My point is that we want quick results.  If we can get some legit difference makers on defense then I say fill out the rest of the class with them.  However if the choice is another 3 star DB or a 3 star WR then me personally I'd take the 3 star WR.  I don't disagree with you that a top notch defense is what we need but until we're able to attract the kind of guys on defense that we can get on offense we are going to have trouble with that.  So in the years to come we may well be a team with a middle of the pack defense and have to know there will be a few games where we simply have to use our offense to outscore the other team in a shootout. 

The_Boot_stops_here

I sure dont know everything about this kid so its not like im the expert but....IMO you dont turn down a talent like this when you have a coach like Petrino whose philosophy is obviously that you can never have too many talented offensive skill players

Dropkick

Maybe Bobby will know what to do (sarcasm)

OKhogfan1959

If the Petrino's want him and they do. Enough said!

Clint Alan

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on November 19, 2009, 12:24:34 pm

I think our recruiting class is fine right now but we can't afford to fill the rest of it with only offensive players.  To me, taking another two WR just seems excessive and neglectful of defense.

What would your thought process be if we finished this class with: Lucas, Humphrey, Akuna, Barnett, & B. Jones?
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Oklahawg

Quote from: rubmyHOG on November 19, 2009, 06:25:57 pm
What would your thought process be if we finished this class with: Lucas, Humphrey, Akuna, Barnett, & B. Jones?

I'd think it was a damn fine finish. I would also assume we kept Big Tex in the fold.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

that would be incredible....and unlikely

Kenny Hawgins

might need a d end to close out the class but that would be a solid finish.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Hog on the Hill

That would be great, but out of those five, I'd much rather trade a WR for another good defensive recruit.

Do you think we'll be okay only taking one safety this year?  Maybe Gaston projects at safety, I don't know.  I don't see much depth there, and Harris will be gone next year and Leon will be gone the year after that.  We'll also lose a lot of depth at CB with Crim and Stewart leaving.  That's a lot of depth leaving the secondary in the near future.

Like I said, if we have room then getting Humphrey would be great.  I'll take all the offensive talent we can get.  BUT, not at the expense of defensive recruiting, which is our biggest need right now.  That is ALL I am saying.

OKCHawg

Given who his dad is, I am sure an Alabama offer will come at some point.

SquidBilly

Quote from: OKCHawg on November 20, 2009, 06:46:01 am
Given who his dad is, I am sure an Alabama offer will come at some point.

If that were coming he'd already have it.  You don't string along a kid who is the son of one of your all time greats.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ATLpiggie on November 20, 2009, 09:44:34 am
If that were coming he'd already have it.  You don't string along a kid who is the son of one of your all time greats.

Well, it's not so much that as it is that Alabama is recruiting on another level than we are right now.  Not saying that is a bad thing, just a statement of fact. 

They are recruiting Julio Jones type players, we are recruiting Greg Childs type players, if that makes sense.  There isn't much difference between a 3 and a 5 IF you evaluate and coach well.  Coach Petrino is proving this to be true.  While i would like to be recruiting the Alabama type players, we are not there yet, so we have to make sure that we don't "miss" on players- and our staff is having a pretty darn good hit ratio right now.  If they continue, it won't be long and we will be able to recruit at the 4 and 5 star level on a consistant basis.

All that being said, i REALLY like Humphrey- good kid with good measurables, stats, AND bloodlines

Abominable Hillbilly

November 20, 2009, 10:10:36 am #33 Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:06:21 am by Abominable Hillbilly
I love our offense but defense wins championships.  Here are some numbers in the SEC conference only:

Team         PA
Alabama     64     7-0 in conf  9.1 pts per game
LSU           94     4-2 in conf  15.6 per game
Florida       95     8-0 in conf  11.8 per game

We are giving up 29.8 pts per game in conf and we are 2-4.

All other SEC teams are .500 or worse in conference with the exception of GA who are 4-3.  Defense wins, any questions?

"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Oklahawg

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on November 20, 2009, 10:10:36 am
I love our offense but defense wins championships.  Here are some numbers in the SEC conference only:

Team         PA
Alabama     64     7-0 in conf  9.1 pts per game
LSU           94     4-2 in conf  15.6 per game
Florida       95     8-0 in conf  11.8 per game

We are giving up 29.8 pts per game in conf and we are 2-6.

All other SEC teams are .500 or worse in conference with the exception of GA who are 4-3.  Defense wins, any questions?

One small note - aren't we 2-4 in SEC play?

You are correct - defense wins championships. I remember that miserably mediocre Ohio State team playing for the NC. It was hell having to admit they had a great defense.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Abominable Hillbilly

Good catch, fixed it.  I think we'll end up 4-4.  Ohio St. and Oklahoma both.
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Oklahawg

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on November 20, 2009, 11:07:39 am
Good catch, fixed it.  I think we'll end up 4-4.  Ohio St. and Oklahoma both.

4-4 is very reasonable for the Hogs.

Ohio State, OU, FL last year, LSU a few years back, all the way back to Bama in the 90s and Miami in the 80s...you win NCs with stellar defenses. Offenses are all over the board with the NC teams but their defenses are almost always spectacular.

jackflash

Where looking at Jones, Joseph, Williams, Humphrey, Barnett, Crawford and a JC kid Smith for the DL. Nelson, Brown and Akuna at LB. Davis, Miller and Clyburn at DB. And these our just the Kids I can remember. I would say this staff is paying plenty attention to the defensive side of the ball.

31to6

Quote from: JackJohnson on November 20, 2009, 10:06:15 am
They are recruiting Julio Jones type players, we are recruiting Greg Childs type players, if that makes sense. 
Greg is better than Julio.

songofthesword

i would actually agree with the above. he's a more polished reciever. julio is just a freak athlete. but skill wise greg is better.

Dalt21

Quote from: 31to6 on November 21, 2009, 08:23:29 am
Greg is better than Julio.
I beg to differ, can you imagine what Julio Jones could do in this offense?

songofthesword

Quote from: Dalt21 on November 21, 2009, 05:28:40 pm

he doesn't run crisp routes whatsoever... he 's just julio jones. he out athletics CB's.

when greg learns how to hold on to the balll he is a 10-12 year NFL guy with a very productive career.

AJ Green is the best WR in the SEC.. he's going to be sick in the NFL. runs routes, catches everything and his track speed.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: Dalt21 on November 21, 2009, 05:28:40 pm
What has Julio done this year for Alabama?  He has only produced 397 yards and 3 TDs and he plays on an undefeated team. 

Dalt21

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on November 21, 2009, 06:22:08 pm
What has Julio done this year for Alabama?  He has only produced 397 yards and 3 TDs and he plays on an undefeated team.
Alabama rarely passes the ball, if he played in our offense he would have amazing stats.

songofthesword

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on November 21, 2009, 06:22:08 pm
hell hamilton had that today

1longshot

if youve ever heard that if you build it they will come you may understand what i'm about to say easier than some.  if we have the offense that will attract top offensive players in droves the defensive players will follow building this offense up is the key and we are building the defense too but rome didn't fall in a day

jgphillips3

Quote from: Dalt21 on November 21, 2009, 09:21:06 pm
Alabama rarely passes the ball, if he played in our offense he would have amazing stats.

Joe Adams is the closest we have to one of those type receivers and look how well he does in this offense.  If we had Julio, his routes would be crisp (or he wouldn't touch the field) and he would be posting sick numbers.