Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Bowden Postgame Press Conference after loss to Clemson

Started by The Hog, November 11, 2009, 10:17:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkapigdiesel

Good grief.  That's pathetic.  If I'm as FSU fan, I want an announcement yesterday that Coach Bowden is riding off into the sunset at season's end.  That's embarrassing.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Reservoir Hogs

wow... he is getting up there...
Poor guy doesnt even sound like he knew what game was being played.

Hog Waller

Sadly it seems his mind is going.  I watched the game, and thought it was odd that the cameras rarely showed him...seemed the only shots of the sidelines were of assistant coaches.

DeltaBoy

Coach is looking bad My Baptist Deacon that I have meet at the SBC conventions over the years needs to take a lesson from the Bear and retire while you can still enjoy a little fishing or golf.  The Bear coached himself to death.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Fatmanhog

Thats kinda sad in a way, anyone have the audio handy? would like to see what kind of context he was saying this in, maybe he was just being a smartbutt. I dont know, that sounded bad to me. Somebody send him some info on retirement homes.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hog Waller on November 11, 2009, 10:31:24 am
Sadly it seems his mind is going.  I watched the game, and thought it was odd that the cameras rarely showed him...seemed the only shots of the sidelines were of assistant coaches.

Well, I guess you can say the media has finally gotten the point.  They used to show him looking dazed and blowing his nose, etc all the time.  Now they know not to do that.

Hogs-n-Roses

Its the AD and BOT who are at fault here, This move should have been made 10 years ago. Bowden and crew have had power over all the above for so long its disfunctional(kinda like we were) and they deserve every minute of it. The only thing is that its worse with them as they have no excuses with the recruiting base they have. He's like Frank, he ain't going quietly, they'll have to can him.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 11, 2009, 11:15:33 am
Its the AD and BOT who are at fault here, This move should have been made 10 years ago. Bowden and crew have had power over all the above for so long its disfunctional(kinda like we were) and they deserve every minute of it. The only thing is that its worse with them as they have no excuses with the recruiting base they have. He's like Frank, he ain't going quietly, they'll have to can him.

10 years ago they won the NC, I doubt that would've been a good idea.

It's a couple years past time, though, that's for sure. And the Noles fans better give this guy the send off he deserves. That program would be NOTHING without Bobby Bowden. He's past his prime, but he's one of the best ever.
Go away, batin'

WMHawgfan

I don't think Bobby is even coaching the team. Sure he has the title but I think Jimbo is calling all the shots. If you look Bobby doesn't even wear a headset during the games. Jimbo is coaching the team. Bobby is keeping his title for one reason and that is he wants to outlast Paterno and get the all time wins record. It is sad because both guys (Bowden and Paterno) are doing the same thing.

hogsanity

What FSU is going to do is frick this up and lose the whole staff, including coach in waiting Fisher.  PSu is going to do the same thing with Paterno. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cgodsey

Don't worry, the board has to make the change by Jan 30th and promote Jimbo Fisher to head coach. If they don't, they owe him MILLIONS of dollars. That whole coach in waiting thing is catching up to them!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Here is the thing about these old coaches that were highly successful.  They more or less earned the right to go out on their own terms.  I will give them that, but they linger on past that point because of their egos, or because of a fear of what they will do once they leave. 

They are really not making decisions for the good of the program but for themselves for whatever reason.  This is when they become a detriment to the future of the program.  Plus some like Bowden aren't even making the day to day decisions.  They go from say CEO head coach to figurehead much like W.

The universities are in a bind.  How do they fire a living legend?  It takes an AD or President with balls of steel to make the call but it has to be made.   They should do whatever they can to get the legend to go along with it and if he doesn't too damn bad.  Just do it.  Cry on camera, make it out to be the toughest thing you ever had to do in your life, but do it for the sake of the school and the coach.

This may be politically incorrect to say, but there is such a thing as too old.  I don't want a 75 year old operating on me, flying my airplane, driving my kids to school, or running my football team.  He can however continue to publish my adult magazine that I read solely for the articles.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hoggish1

Quote from: cgodsey on November 11, 2009, 11:36:59 am
Don't worry, the board has to make the change by Jan 30th and promote Jimbo Fisher to head coach. If they don't, they owe him MILLIONS of dollars. That whole coach in waiting thing is catching up to them!

Four million to be exact.  Bowden, thankfully , is gone at the end of this season.  They'll also be grateful not to go to a bowl this year so Fisher can fire the entire staff, except Trickett and get on to the first order of business—hiring a DC

idochog

Bowden needs to start hitting Lubys at 2pm for supper and then bedtime at 7pm
I love Jesus!

3kgthog

But I thought everyone was saying that he's earned the right to quit when he wants to? I call b.s. on that. If I were the CEO of a billion dollar company and our company started tanking after several years of success, do you think I'd keep my job? Heck no. That program is going down the toilet and FSU's only shot is to coax Bowden into retirement and somehow make sure that Jimbo Fisher can't follow through with that "coach in waiting" deal they struck up. He won't be any better than what they've got.

idochog

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 11, 2009, 12:19:24 pm
But I thought everyone was saying that he's earned the right to quit when he wants to? I call b.s. on that. If I were the CEO of a billion dollar company and our company started tanking after several years of success, do you think I'd keep my job? Heck no. That program is going down the toilet and FSU's only shot is to coax Bowden into retirement and somehow make sure that Jimbo Fisher can't follow through with that "coach in waiting" deal they struck up. He won't be any better than what they've got.

Better options out there than Jimbo Fisher IMO.

I would go after Richt.  He was the OC at FSU during their best years.  Richt may want a change since the Georgia faithful are after him right now
I love Jesus!

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

The guy sounds like he's had a stroke or something.  Something's not right up there, you don't just forget if you were leading at halftime for a game that finished 30 minutes earlier.

Hornkiller

Bowden ain't leaving as long as Joe Pa is still roaming the sideline. This isn't about restoring FSU's glory or FSU's commitment to the coach who brought them to national prominence. This is about Bowden trying to chase down, catch and pass Paterno for the all time FBS wins total.

Hornkiller

The biggest thing here besides the we owe it to Bowden is the fact that Paterno did turn around Penn State and got them to a Rose Bowl. I'm sure Bobby's supporters point to that as evidence to why they should give him one more year.

I don't get the entire "head coach in waiting thing." FSU is being out recruited, out coached, and out shinned by Miami and Florida. When Bowden retires / fired then they need to just clean house and bring in the best coach they can. Go the SEC route and pay the big bucks and bring in someone who has a proven track record.

AnthroHog

If Bowden decides to leave, and Jimbo becomes the head coach.  Are there any stipulations to how long they have to employ him as head coach?

I wonder if Mark Richt is starting to think about returning to Florida State and facing the ACC weekly instead of the SEC.  I think he'd do a better job than Jimbo.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 11, 2009, 11:19:27 am

It's a couple years past time, though, that's for sure. And the Noles fans better give this guy the send off he deserves. That program would be NOTHING without Bobby Bowden. He's past his prime, but he's one of the best ever.
I understand the legacy of it. And they did win a NC 10 years ago. The next year they lost 4 games then 5 the next. After that they lost 3 games 2 years in a row ,then 5 then 6 and now 6 this year. I just feel like a team with their History (something retarded like 15 years in a row in the top 5),their recruiting base, should never be allowed to fall this far before changes are made. My position is that these institutions let these guys gain too much power for the universities good. I do agree that all the acolades possible should go to the entire Bowden family but its just been way to long in the saying bye,bye.

hodgehog

BB has seen the better days. Its time to leave with decent grace

BloodRedHog

Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Hog Waller

Ok, after getting to listen to this vs just reading what the writer wanted us to, I am calling the reporter a fraud who has an agenda.  BB didn't sound as bad as the garble written.  If anything BB looked tired and a little hard of hearing.  Not saying that BB should remain the coach forever, as I do believe his time has come and gone, but that article was not fair.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hog Waller on November 11, 2009, 06:55:17 pm
Ok, after getting to listen to this vs just reading what the writer wanted us to, I am calling the reporter a fraud who has an agenda.  BB didn't sound as bad as the garble written.  If anything BB looked tired and a little hard of hearing.  Not saying that BB should remain the coach forever, as I do believe his time has come and gone, but that article was not fair.

I had yet a different take.  Though the video didn't match exactly with the written article, it was every bit as disturbing to me.  BB just looks lost.  It's really sad when legends don't know when to pass the torch.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

cashmoneyman_04

yea the article sounds much worse than the actual video
Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

Hoggish1

How right you are!  Our situation squared!

Hoggish1

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 11, 2009, 11:19:27 am

They're trying to give him the send off he deserves but he's too senile to understand what they're trying to do for him...

Hoggish1

Here is the thing about these old coaches that were highly successful.  They more or less earned the right to go out on their own terms.  I will give them that, but they linger on past that point because of their egos, or because of a fear of what they will do once they leave. 

They are really not making decisions for the good of the program but for themselves for whatever reason.  This is when they become a detriment to the future of the program.  Plus some like Bowden aren't even making the day to day decisions.  They go from say CEO head coach to figurehead much like W.

The universities are in a bind.  How do they fire a living legend?  It takes an AD or President with balls of steel to make the call but it has to be made.   They should do whatever they can to get the legend to go along with it and if he doesn't too damn bad.  Just do it.  Cry on camera, make it out to be the toughest thing you ever had to do in your life, but do it for the sake of the school and the coach.

This may be politically incorrect to say, but there is such a thing as too old.  I don't want a 75 year old operating on me, flying my airplane, driving my kids to school, or running my football team.  He can however continue to publish my adult magazine that I read solely for the articles.
_____

You make a very logical argument for term limits in coaching.  FSU has a legend in Bobby Bowden who for at least 9 years has been dragging down the program he built.

That's shades of Frank Broyles, but will be far more damaging to their program.  No individual is above the program or the best interest of the university.  Broyles became that and Bowden has gone well beyond the damage Frank did.

Thankfully we are beyond Frank's actions, but FSU is facing the worst.

HawgTide

Not as bad as I thought it would be based on the guys article but still bad for Bobby.

StewDogg11

First of all that's idiotic, so they should have ran him off after he won the NC in 1999.

StewDogg11

Quote from: cgodsey on November 11, 2009, 11:36:59 am
That's false also, if Jimbo isn't  the HC by January 2011 they owe him $5 million. 

StewDogg11

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 11, 2009, 04:47:57 pm
I understand the legacy of it. And they did win a NC 10 years ago. The next year they lost 4 games then 5 the next. After that they lost 3 games 2 years in a row ,then 5 then 6 and now 6 this year. I just feel like a team with their History (something retarded like 15 years in a row in the top 5),their recruiting base, should never be allowed to fall this far before changes are made. My position is that these institutions let these guys gain too much power for the universities good. I do agree that all the acolades possible should go to the entire Bowden family but its just been way to long in the saying bye,bye.
Once again you prove your ignorance.  The year after they won the NC they lost ONE game and that was to Oklahoma in the NC game.

StewDogg11

Say what you want to about Bobby Bowden, this quote suits him perfectly from Ted Bianchi:

"Arguably the best coach to ever walk the sidelines on Saturdays, and unarguably the nicest man to ever walk the sidelines on Saturdays"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: StewDogg11 on November 12, 2009, 02:52:31 am
Say what you want to about Bobby Bowden, this quote suits him perfectly from Ted Bianchi:

"Arguably the best coach to ever walk the sidelines on Saturdays, and unarguably the nicest man to ever walk the sidelines on Saturdays"

Once again you prove your ignorance.  It's Mike Bianchi not Ted, and  it's inarguably not unarguably.

http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/sports-recreation-events/12750834-1.html
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Verge

Nobody outside of florida state fans, believes in any form, that he is actually the head coach of that team.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: StewDogg11 on November 12, 2009, 02:46:28 am
Once again you prove your ignorance.  The year after they won the NC they lost ONE game and that was to Oklahoma in the NC game.
I got my years mixed up, thought he won the NC in 2000 but it was 1999. Your partially right in th they lost to OU in the championship game but Miami beat them during the season so have your facts straight before you call someone an idiot. The other runs of losing years were correct and I gave them their props,sorry to have offended you!