• 27,033 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Carrying a gun while traveling?  (Read 3623 times)

Aeschere

• Bench Warmer
  • Gueax Hogs Gueax!
Carrying a gun while traveling?
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:46:35 pm »

Does anyone have experience carrying a gun while traveling to an unfamiliar area (i.e. Dallas this weekend)? Im familiar with the laws in AR, OK, and TX, all of which state that you can carry a handgun while "traveling". However, I know that regardless of its legality I could still spend the night in jail depending on the mood of the officer in the event he finds the gun. If anyone has experience with this issue your input is welcome.

Table Rocker

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: Carrying a gun while traveling?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »

I once got pulled over in McAlester, OK because I had a U of A license plate bracket that the officer said was illegal because it covered part of the state name. He hassled me for 10 minutes while another officer shined his flashlight through my back windows. That pretty much told me all I need to know about the law in Oklahoma, especially on the roads from Fayetteville to the Texas state line.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

BloodRedHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Yes, these are real
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:50:02 pm »

I am fairly certain carrying in glovebox in those three states are OK.

hawgdavis

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »

If you get stopped let the officer know about it . They appreciate It.

e_dub

• Senior
  • Japanese food
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »

Not sure if you have a CCW or not, but hit the drop down box on this website and it will show you reciprocal laws for each state.

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

Brass Knob

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:56:16 pm »

Does anyone have experience carrying a gun while traveling to an unfamiliar area (i.e. Dallas this weekend)? Im familiar with the laws in AR, OK, and TX, all of which state that you can carry a handgun while "traveling". However, I know that regardless of its legality I could still spend the night in jail depending on the mood of the officer in the event he finds the gun. If anyone has experience with this issue your input is welcome.

You could just go the easy route and not get pulled over... haha  ;)

ppdmike

• Bench Warmer
  • Pre-snap view of Hawgs aerial assault
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:04:49 pm »

The "traveling" aspect of the Texas law was removed and you can carry a firearm in your vehicle as long as it is concealed.  When the "traveling" aspect of the law was still in play, it could depend on the officer's belief of your story.....however, now you are good to go as long as you keep it in your car.

Sweet Kitten Feet

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:06:24 pm »

We have the "castle doctrine"  basically states that your car is an extension of your castle and you can use deadly force to defend it.  You can carry a legal weapon in your car but it must be concealed, not in plain sight.  And you must not brandish it.

If you have specific questions I'd contact the Texas DPS, or any LEO or agency in the DFW area.

aloha_kid

• Hogvillian
  • CTMCS USN (Ret)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:07:49 pm »

Texas is a pretty good state.  Here are a couple of pretty good links:

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:20:06 pm »

You can carry a loade concealed hand gun in Texas. Your vehicle is an extension of your home as viewed under TX Law. Many Texans carry daily.

You can carry a loaded concealed hand gun in Texas in your car.  You can't carry it on your person without a CCW permit. Also I'm not sure that OK has the same castle law.   

aloha_kid

• Hogvillian
  • CTMCS USN (Ret)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »

You can carry a loaded concealed hand gun in Texas in your car.  You can't carry it on your person without a CCW permit. Also I'm not sure that OK has the same castle law.  

Just make sure it is not accessible by minors.  By this I mean, it's in the glove box and a minor is in the passenger seat.  That's where they can get you.

Aeschere

• Bench Warmer
  • Gueax Hogs Gueax!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »

I know for a fact you are allowed to carry in your car through all three states when traveling. The question is how receptive are police to this law.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:29:38 pm by Aeschere »

losthawg68

• Gold Hogvillian
  • English mutha luva, do you speak it?!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »

a state trooper comes and gives a briefing at my job each year (TX).  he had a lot to say on the matter, but, to sum it all up, if you get pulled over, keep your hands on the wheel until he asks you for anything and be sure to let him know that there is a firearm in the vehicle.  according to him, do that and you'll be fine.

Calling All Hogs

• Global Moderator
  • Football is upon us! WPS!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:46:09 pm »

I really don't think I'd need a gun at the new stadium. At the old Cotton Bowl, however, I almost got mugged just stopping for gas near the stadium. They ought to allow automatic weapons there!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:51:58 pm by CallMeHog »

Hogblog

• Senior
  • So it begins....again
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »

;)

Aeschere

• Bench Warmer
  • Gueax Hogs Gueax!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:49:47 pm »

a state trooper comes and gives a briefing at my job each year (TX).  he had a lot to say on the matter, but, to sum it all up, if you get pulled over, keep your hands on the wheel until he asks you for anything and be sure to let him know that there is a firearm in the vehicle.  according to him, do that and you'll be fine.

Thanks

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »

In Oklahoma, you must have a Concealed Carry permit from OK or a reciprocal state to legally carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle. Unloaded weapons can be carried "in plain sight", cased or racked. Castle laws only speak to the legal use of a weapon, not the priveledge to carry it.

AR Taco04

• Its gonna be Legen..... wait for it...... dary!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 11:05:08 pm »

I heard Mallett just carries a football around.

justanotherdisappointedfn

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »

In Oklahoma, you must have a Concealed Carry permit from OK or a reciprocal state to legally carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle. Unloaded weapons can be carried "in plain sight", cased or racked. Castle laws only speak to the legal use of a weapon, not the priveledge to carry it.

That doesn't make much sense. How could you possibly use a weapon that you weren't able to have with you?

If you have an Arkansas concealed weapon permit, and who doesn't, you're good to carry one in your vehicle as long as it's kept out of plain sight. In ANY jurisdiction if you get pulled over and don't notify the officer that you have a concealed weapon in the vehicle if they ask, and they will ALWAYS ask if they intend to search, you will be arrested, permit or not.

Pigsknuckles

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »

That doesn't make much sense. How could you possibly use a weapon that you weren't able to have with you?

If you have an Arkansas concealed weapon permit, and who doesn't, you're good to carry one in your vehicle as long as it's kept out of plain sight. In ANY jurisdiction if you get pulled over and don't notify the officer that you have a concealed weapon in the vehicle if they ask, and they will ALWAYS ask if they intend to search, you will be arrested, permit or not.

They are separate issues. In Oklahoma you must have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in public. If you have occasion to use that weapon, you have the protection of the applicable castle laws that say your vehicle, or person, is an extension of your home. However, even if you legally use your weapon in self defense, you could still be prosecuted for illegal carry if you do not have the permit. Different states have different laws.

The short version is: If you plan to carry, get a permit, and check for reciprocity.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:23:04 pm by Pigsknuckles »

trippigs

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:23 am »

your gonna shoot your eye out

wilbur

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 08:39:18 am »

If you have a conceal permit, Texas & Oklahoma will recognize it.  If you don't, always live by two rules:  1.  Don't do anything stupid where an officer will have cause to search your vehicle.  2.  Don't give consent to search your vehicle if he doesn't have cause. 

ronmahony

• So long boys, I'm headed to Texas
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:09 am »

I really don't think I'd need a gun at the new stadium. At the old Cotton Bowl, however, I almost got mugged just stopping for gas near the stadium. They ought to allow automatic weapons there!

Don't bet on it. We just finished remodeling the Wal-Mart across the street from the new stadium, I had two spray rigs stolen out of the job trailer, one in broad daylight. The Hotel we were staying at was right across I-30, there were 5 vehicles broken into over a week or two, the people would just walk up, bust the passenger window, so if you have a tom-tom or anything like that showing, conceal it.

SRFL

• Sweet as Sugar...
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 09:12:05 am »

I'm toting a set of throwing stars. 

farmermike

• Band Nerd
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:36 am »

i can speak from experience that you better not be carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle in illinois, it's a felony carry and conceal or not.  i got lucky and didn't get the felony, but i sure didn't enjoy being handcuffed in the sleet and freezing rain while the trooper ran my license.  i had spoken to a missouri trooper earlier in the day about the same thing and he told me it was legal in missouri.  i have also been pulled over in louisiana and told by an officer it was legal there.

jwebb55

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 11:05:57 am »

The law itself.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

It is very similar to Arkansas' law on concealed carry. Permit required of course.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:07:29 am by jwebb55 »

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • chill'n like a villian
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 11:21:46 am »

This is good advice, I got a gun pulled me by an rookie officer that seemed a little spooked when I did not follow this advice as a teenager.

HawgBallLvr

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 11:25:16 am »

I once got pulled over in McAlester, OK because I had a U of A license plate bracket that the officer said was illegal because it covered part of the state name. He hassled me for 10 minutes while another officer shined his flashlight through my back windows. That pretty much told me all I need to know about the law in Oklahoma, especially on the roads from Fayetteville to the Texas state line.
Nothing sounds illegal there. They had all the rights in the world to look in your car and to pull you over.

mountainhog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 11:38:04 am »

I think,  If you have a conceal and carry permit, all the bordering states of arkansas honors that permit.

healthyhog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 11:41:11 am »

I'm toting a set of throwing stars.
Would probably do just as much good as carrying a gun around with you.

HawgBallLvr

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 11:43:43 am »

I think,  If you have a conceal and carry permit, all the bordering states of arkansas honors that permit.
Not necessarily, it depends on individual state laws.

mountainhog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 11:47:17 am »

Not necessarily, it depends on individual state laws.

When we took our conceal course, that is what the training officer told us.

They gave us a book that has all that info in it, but that is what he said.

mountainhog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 11:48:57 am »

My co-worker says he looked it up in his book and every state that touches arkansas honors our permit fwiw.

HawgBallLvr

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 12:02:09 pm »

When we took our conceal course, that is what the training officer told us.

They gave us a book that has all that info in it, but that is what he said.
I'm not saying you're wrong. Not all states have the reciprocal agreements.

Texas does: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr021998.htm

As well as Arkansas: http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

reds10

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 12:36:59 pm »

you think there might be something wrong with your driving if you're having that many encouters with the law???

i can speak from experience that you better not be carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle in illinois, it's a felony carry and conceal or not.  i got lucky and didn't get the felony, but i sure didn't enjoy being handcuffed in the sleet and freezing rain while the trooper ran my license.  i had spoken to a missouri trooper earlier in the day about the same thing and he told me it was legal in missouri.  i have also been pulled over in louisiana and told by an officer it was legal there.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 01:35:28 pm »

I like guns.

mountainhog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »

I'm not saying you're wrong. Not all states have the reciprocal agreements.

Texas does: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr021998.htm

As well as Arkansas: http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

He just told us that all BORDERING states honored our conceal carry. 

I know there is quite a few that dont honor ours, but the last I heard they were gonna try to make it a universal type for all states to be the same.

reds10

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 01:43:20 pm »

yeah, but it's funny that he's talked to so many cops about it... :)

Encounters with the law have nothing to do with conceal and carry. It's encounters with no law around you are worried about.

Pigdiana Jones

• Smoking Hot!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 01:46:52 pm »

I heard Mallett just carries a football around.

ROFLMAO!

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »

I highly recommend getting a conceal carry license.  I have one.  When you are pulled over, put both hands out of the window with the license and CC license in your hands.  When they see both hands and that license, they know where your hands are, that you have been through an FBI background check and that you are probably no threat.  Your time with the officer will go much better...trust me.

Pigdiana Jones

• Smoking Hot!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 01:49:29 pm »

Does loaded mean not having one in the chamber and in the magazine? or does it specifically mean it has to be in the chamber to be considered "loaded."

Table Rocker

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »

Never said it was illegal hawgballuvr, the point of my post that those officers were just looking for something to bust me for. Guy in his 20s with out of state tags driving through at night, that's why I was pulled over. Two cops pulled in behind me because of my 'license plate' bracket? Nice use of manpower there.

The Boar War

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 02:08:59 pm »

Nothing sounds illegal there. They had all the rights in the world to look in your car and to pull you over.

Wouldn't all the rights have to include some sort of search warrant?  The 4th ammendment is just as important as the second.

losthawg68

• Gold Hogvillian
  • English mutha luva, do you speak it?!
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 02:12:28 pm »

Wouldn't all the rights have to include some sort of search warrant?  The 4th ammendment is just as important as the second.

a warrant is not needed for a vehicle considering is a "non-staitionary" object, or it is mobile.

Kilgor

• This is the good stuff
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 02:15:02 pm »

Nope.  Arkansas code does not require officer notification.  The Arkansas State Police guidelines say that you should, but this carries no force of law, and is not backed up in the Arkansas code.

Oklahoma and Texas do require it.

Here's a great website that should answer most questions:

http://handgunlaw.us/  Just click on the state you want to know about.

Kilgor

• This is the good stuff
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 02:20:19 pm »

a warrant is not needed for a vehicle considering is a "non-staitionary" object, or it is mobile.

To search a vehicle an officer must obtain permission, lawfully arrest the person and search incident to the arrest, or be able to articulate probable cause that a crime was committed and evidence is in the vehicle. 

In the last case, prosecutors appreciate the officer getting a signed warrant before a search...

You DO have a right to privacy in your car,  Do NOT EVER give permission for a search regardless of how innocent you are.  If they could search your car without your consent, they would have already done it and would not ask permission.

The Boar War

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 02:28:51 pm »

To search a vehicle an officer must obtain permission, lawfully arrest the person and search incident to the arrest, or be able to articulate probable cause that a crime was committed and evidence is in the vehicle. 

In the last case, prosecutors appreciate the officer getting a signed warrant before a search...

You DO have a right to privacy in your car,  Do NOT EVER give permission for a search regardless of how innocent you are.  If they could search your car without your consent, they would have already done it and would not ask permission.

Very true.  The original poster said they had every right to look in his car.  Thats correct as long as he is looking through the windows.  He has no right to search inside your car unless he has probable cause that a crime has or is being committed.  Certainly didn't seem the case in this situation.

Of course cars were not in the original wording but the fourth ammendment reads persons, houses, papers, and effects should not be unreasonably searched. 

oldman1015

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »

hang on, i'm calling plaxico.

Pigsknuckles

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 02:34:39 pm »

Nope.  Arkansas code does not require officer notification.  The Arkansas State Police guidelines say that you should, but this carries no force of law, and is not backed up in the Arkansas code.

Oklahoma and Texas do require it.

Here's a great website that should answer most questions:

http://handgunlaw.us/  Just click on the state you want to know about.

I'm from Oklahoma where notification is required. I have had two contact situations with police while I was carrying. Both times, I handed the officers both my license, and permit.  They both exhibited noticeable relief when they saw the permit. Once they knew I was carrying, and where the weapon was, we calmly took care of our business, and were on our way.

Kilgor

• This is the good stuff
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 02:35:05 pm »

hang on, i'm calling plaxico.

He had a valid Florida concealed weapons license, which allowed him to carry in 36 states.  He had gone through all the background checks, training, etc. 

Isn't it sad that he will spend a few years in prison away from his family just because he exercised his right to protect himself (albeit poorly)?  This is one reason NYC will not get my tourism dollars.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Partnered with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas