Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss fans think

Started by TN_Hog, August 11, 2009, 12:54:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_Hog

Living in Memphis, I get a first-hand look at how much expectation is being placed on HDN and Ole Miss. What Ole Miss fans don't realize is that too much expectation on HDN will always result in a let down. I smile when I hear an Ole Miss fan talk about an SEC Championship or National Championship - they have no idea what is coming (i.e. HDN's predictable "prevent" defense that will force them to lose a crucial game).

I don't know what team is going to upset their championship hopes, but I know that they will get beat (I really hope it is the HOGS!!). With hopes this high in Ole Miss land, and the schedule they have is as easy as it will ever get, HDN is bound to come up short. Ole Miss fans just don't know it yet. I can't wait for vintage HDN to reveal himself to Ole Miss.

Razorhio

It'll be fun to watch from the outside for a change.  Thank gawd he's no longer here. 

rebelbruiser

You're getting our Kool-Aid drinking fans.  If you want realism, which you don't get on most fan sites, go visit Nafoom.  The general consensus there is that we have the ability to compete for a title, but we're most likely headed for 9-3 or 10-2.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 11, 2009, 01:04:09 pm
but we're most likely headed for 9-3 or 10-2.

I think this is what he's talking about.  MOST LIKELY headed to 9-3 or 10-2?

Anything less than 9 wins and you (and every other Reb fan) would be upset?  In the last 30 years, the Rebs have had five 9-win seasons.  AND, they haven't gone back-to-back 9+ win seasons since 1961/1962.

So, yeah, y'all are a little delusional.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 11, 2009, 01:11:46 pm
I think this is what he's talking about.  MOST LIKELY headed to 9-3 or 10-2?

Anything less than 9 wins and you (and every other Reb fan) would be upset?  In the last 30 years, the Rebs have had five 9-win seasons.  AND, they haven't gone back-to-back 9+ win seasons since 1961/1962.

So, yeah, y'all are a little delusional.

What the last 30 years have to do with this year is news to me.  We've had one QB in the last 30 years that might be better than Snead, and he never had a defense close to as good as the one we have this year.

I really don't get what some team did at the same school 30 years ago has to do with this year or this team.  Assuming we don't have too many key injuries, there is no reason we can't and won't go 9-3 or 10-2.  And it's also not delusional to think you might win 9 regular season games when you start the season in the Top 10.

We went 9-3 in the regular season during Eli's senior year with a tougher schedule and a much weaker defense.  To say it is delusional to think we can equal that this year is really a stretch.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll come back here and say so.  I sure haven't seen that reciprocated very often from fans on this site though.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 11, 2009, 01:17:56 pm
What the last 30 years have to do with this year is news to me.  We've had one QB in the last 30 years that might be better than Snead, and he never had a defense close to as good as the one we have this year.

I really don't get what some team did at the same school 30 years ago has to do with this year or this team.  Assuming we don't have too many key injuries, there is no reason we can't and won't go 9-3 or 10-2.  And it's also not delusional to think you might win 9 regular season games when you start the season in the Top 10.

We went 9-3 in the regular season during Eli's senior year with a tougher schedule and a much weaker defense.  To say it is delusional to think we can equal that this year is really a stretch.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll come back here and say so.  I sure haven't seen that reciprocated very often from fans on this site though.

Clemson started the season in the top 10 last year.  So what?  They weren't a top 10 team and it showed once the REAL season started.

I think you guys will end up at 8-5 or 9-4 this year, after it is all said and done (more likely 8-5).

History is a good indicator of what's going to happen in the future.  There are definitely extraordinary occurences where a team, in this instance, can buck historical trends.  But, it doesn't happen often.  And, 30 years is a particularly long time, when speaking of college football history.

Like I said, I can see where the OP is coming from.  Even the most level-headed of Ole Miss fans is saying they'll be disappointed with anything less than 9-3 in the regular season.

That's a little crazy, given your football program's recent history.  That's where the 48 years since the last time you had back-to-back 9+ win seasons comes in.

Dropkick

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 11, 2009, 01:04:09 pm
You're getting our Kool-Aid drinking fans.  If you want realism, which you don't get on most fan sites, go visit Nafoom.  The general consensus there is that we have the ability to compete for a title, but we're most likely headed for 9-3 or 10-2.
Ole Miss has a board? Why are you over here so much?

Burt B.

Tripod1

You have to admit that most of the time rebelbruiser brings a pretty level headed point of view about Ole Piss.  I agree with him as to history has nothing to do with a team.  If so then why are we expecting our Hogs to be 9-2, 8-3 or such?  Sure hope Ole Piss loses 3-4 games and Nutt again proves high expections are just that, expections. 

mckinneyhog5

So how does the Ole Miss defense look this year?  Do you still plan on giving up all those yards in the air this year?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Tripod1 on August 12, 2009, 02:33:04 pm
You have to admit that most of the time rebelbruiser brings a pretty level headed point of view about Ole Piss.  I agree with him as to history has nothing to do with a team.  If so then why are we expecting our Hogs to be 9-2, 8-3 or such?  Sure hope Ole Piss loses 3-4 games and Nutt again proves high expections are just that, expections. 

Expectations are different than desires, wants, and hopes.  Ole Miss fans/players/coaches should not EXPECT to win 9+ games because 47 years of recent history says that they shouldn't.

That's why I laugh at them.  They have one good year and all-of-a-sudden, they think they hung the moon.

I'm not buying it.

veritas

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 12, 2009, 03:15:41 pm
Expectations are different than desires, wants, and hopes.  Ole Miss fans/players/coaches should not EXPECT to win 9+ games because 47 years of recent history says that they shouldn't.

That's why I laugh at them.  They have one good year and all-of-a-sudden, they think they hung the moon.

I'm not buying it.
yet amazingly you cant  apply that same logic to your beloved razorbacks, who last won a national title 45 years ago?  hy-po-cruh-c

Dropkick

August 12, 2009, 04:26:15 pm #12 Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:28:26 pm by Dropkick
How many has Ole Miss won in the same time frame. How many SEC championship games have they been to. Hell, what have they done of note in the last 45 years!

Oh yeah, run along newbie

Dropkick

Veritas (per Wikipedia)

In Roman mythology, Veritas (meaning truth) was the goddess of truth, a daughter of Saturn and the mother of Virtue. It was believed that she hid in the bottom of a holy well because she was so elusive. Her image is shown as a young virgin dressed in white.

So veritas are u a chick?

veritas

Quote from: Dropkick on August 12, 2009, 04:31:06 pm
Veritas (per Wikipedia)

In Roman mythology, Veritas (meaning truth) was the goddess of truth, a daughter of Saturn and the mother of Virtue. It was believed that she hid in the bottom of a holy well because she was so elusive. Her image is shown as a young virgin dressed in white.

So veritas are u a chick?
hmm well it also means "truth" .maybe you and the other " homers " on here oughta look that up as well... arkansas is hardly in a position to lecture ol miss or  anyone else on    9 win seasons

Dropkick

So you aren't a chick, just another Reb dressed in girls clothes. Do you have a sweater wrapped around your neck as we chat.

veritas

Quote from: Dropkick on August 12, 2009, 04:49:46 pm
So you aren't a chick, just another Reb dressed in girls clothes. Do you have a sweater wrapped around your neck as we chat.
nope just a reality based hog fan

Dropkick

Quote from: veritas on August 12, 2009, 04:51:54 pm
nope just a reality based hog fan
If you are a hog fan why did you say "your beloved razorbacks"?
Me thinks you lie like a Nutt.

Dropkick

Welcome aboard though. You might want to look for Rebelbruiser and some of his cronies you have a lot in common.

The Hogfather

Quote from: veritas on August 12, 2009, 04:19:58 pm
yet amazingly you cant  apply that same logic to your beloved razorbacks, who last won a national title 45 years ago?  hy-po-cruh-c

I haven't said anything about my beloved Razorbacks.  I expect 7 wins this year and hope for more than that.  Realistic?  I'd say so.

How many times have we won 7+ games over the past 47 years?  29.

How many times have the Rebs won 9+ games in back-to-back years over the past 47 years?  0.

So, you tell me who's being realistic with their expectations.

The Hogfather

Quote from: veritas on August 12, 2009, 04:45:24 pm
  hmm well it also means "truth" .maybe you and the other " homers " on here oughta look that up as well... arkansas is hardly in a position to lecture ol miss or  anyone else on    9 win seasons

Since 1970:

Arkansas 9+ win seasons:  15
Ole Miss 9+ win seasons:  5

Arkansas losing seasons:  8
Ole Miss losing seasons:  20

So, basically, I can "lecture" Ole Miss fans on anything I want.

Iwastherein1969

PREACH ON !   the Hotty Toddy's need haldol in their drinks instead of vodka
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Sivad

Quote from: Razorhio on August 11, 2009, 12:57:37 pm
It'll be fun to watch from the outside for a change.  Thank gawd he's no longer here. 

The coming Nutt Implosion and his destruction of the Ole Miss football program is going to be a high-larious spectacle to watch.

Our program was strong enough to survive him and rebuild, I'm not so sure OM will be.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on August 12, 2009, 03:09:56 pm
So how does the Ole Miss defense look this year?  Do you still plan on giving up all those yards in the air this year?

Pretty good to be honest with you.  2 of our 4 top 4 corners last year were playing the position for the first time in their careers.  This year, our starting secondary has 3 seniors and 1 junior, all with starting experience, 3 of them returning starters.

Overall, we lost only 5 players out of 22 off our 2 deep on defense last year that finished 5th in the SEC in scoring defense and total defense.  Our defense should be a strength of the team.  I have a little bit of concern with the depth in our back 7 right now, but overall the unit looks good, and I expect the pass defense to be much improved.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 12, 2009, 03:15:41 pm

I'm not buying it.

That's the funny thing though.  The Ole Miss fans aren't the ones being delusional.  It's the so-called experts and the national media for the most part that are saying we should win 9+ games.  That's why it's not delusional.  Our history has nothing to do with this particular team.

If that logic worked, Northwestern never would've made it to a Rose Bowl in modern footbal, Vandy wouldn't have ever made a bowl game, Wake Forest never would've won an ACC title, and I could go on.  History has absolutely nothing to do with the outcomes of games once the ball is kicked off.  As I said before, history would say that we'd never again be ranked in the Top 10 pre-season, but that hasn't stopped it from happening.

When you're ranked in the pre-season Top 10, it's not delusional for your fans to think you might be able to win 9 or 10 games.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 13, 2009, 03:58:19 pm
That's the funny thing though.  The Ole Miss fans aren't the ones being delusional.  It's the so-called experts and the national media for the most part that are saying we should win 9+ games.  That's why it's not delusional.  Our history has nothing to do with this particular team.

If that logic worked, Northwestern never would've made it to a Rose Bowl in modern footbal, Vandy wouldn't have ever made a bowl game, Wake Forest never would've won an ACC title, and I could go on.  History has absolutely nothing to do with the outcomes of games once the ball is kicked off.  As I said before, history would say that we'd never again be ranked in the Top 10 pre-season, but that hasn't stopped it from happening.

When you're ranked in the pre-season Top 10, it's not delusional for your fans to think you might be able to win 9 or 10 games.

I guess you missed this post:

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 11, 2009, 01:49:55 pm
Clemson started the season in the top 10 last year.  So what?  They weren't a top 10 team and it showed once the REAL season started.

I think you guys will end up at 8-5 or 9-4 this year, after it is all said and done (more likely 8-5).

History is a good indicator of what's going to happen in the future.  There are definitely extraordinary occurences where a team, in this instance, can buck historical trends.  But, it doesn't happen often.  And, 30 years is a particularly long time, when speaking of college football history.

Like I said, I can see where the OP is coming from.  Even the most level-headed of Ole Miss fans is saying they'll be disappointed with anything less than 9-3 in the regular season.

That's a little crazy, given your football program's recent history.  That's where the 48 years since the last time you had back-to-back 9+ win seasons comes in.

It is delusional for Ole Miss fans to EXPECT 9-10 wins, when you haven't had back-to-back 9+ win seasons in 47 years.  PERIOD.

You can justify your ridiculous expectations all you want with preseason polls and "college football expert" predictions (which I've seen a lot of them say that Ole Miss is severely overrated and will be a flop this year), but it doesn't change the fact that you, and the rest of the Ole Miss fans, are delusional for EXPECTING 9+ wins this year.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: NolanForAD on August 13, 2009, 10:01:54 pm
I agree that Miss has the talent to compete for a title, or, as you say, just go 10-2.   But, just for grins, how are you going to feel if you lose to Vandy and S.Caro again and end up 7-5?

I'd be disappointed to be honest with anything 8-4 or less to be honest barring major injuries.

Tripod1

This whole argument would be a non issue if Hooty was not the coach.  With the success of last year, the return of so many players and a pretty good recruiting class nothing is out of the ordinary for Ole Piss to be ranked and for their fans to expect a 9+ win season.  We most certainly would expect it here from our Hogs.  In all liklihood, the only thing that stands in the way of Ole Piss winning 9+ games will be Hooty himself.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Tripod1 on August 14, 2009, 07:48:51 am
This whole argument would be a non issue if Hooty was not the coach.  With the success of last year, the return of so many players and a pretty good recruiting class nothing is out of the ordinary for Ole Piss to be ranked and for their fans to expect a 9+ win season.  We most certainly would expect it here from our Hogs.  In all liklihood, the only thing that stands in the way of Ole Piss winning 9+ games will be Hooty himself.

Disagree completely.  This whole argument would be a non-issue if Ole Miss had back-to-back 9+ win seasons more recently than 1961-1962.  Expectations should be based on your program's recent history and ability to sustain a certain level.  Ole Miss' level is between 3-7 wins, with the very occasional 8 or 9 win season (never back-to-back), and even more rarely, a 10 win season (once in the past 38 years).

If I were them, I'd hope for 9+ wins, but expect less than that, given their program's AND their new coach's history.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Tripod1 on August 14, 2009, 07:48:51 am

They lost some of their best linemen from last season, their secondary will still be average at best, they have a coach who underperforms when expectations are high, they haven't put together back-to-back 9+ win seasons in 47 years, they haven't made the SEC Championship games since its inception.

They are Ole Miss.

rebelbruiser

August 14, 2009, 08:23:38 am #30 Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:25:11 am by rebelbruiser
Quote from: The Hogfather on August 14, 2009, 07:57:16 am
Disagree completely.  This whole argument would be a non-issue if Ole Miss had back-to-back 9+ win seasons more recently than 1961-1962.  Expectations should be based on your program's recent history and ability to sustain a certain level.  Ole Miss' level is between 3-7 wins, with the very occasional 8 or 9 win season (never back-to-back), and even more rarely, a 10 win season (once in the past 38 years).

If I were them, I'd hope for 9+ wins, but expect less than that, given their program's AND their new coach's history.

Your argument is still very weak in its premise, because history doesn't have anything to do with the current team.  What happened 30 or 40 years ago has nothing to do with the current players or coaching staff.  If you wanted to use a coaching staff's history as your reasoning, you'd have a better argument, because at least that history would be related to people currently involved with the team.  What Steve Sloan, Ken Cooper, or Billy Brewer did and what those teams did have nothing to do with this year's team.  The only thing that's the same is the name on the jersey.

I've never once based my expectations for a single season off history.

I do think that your history can be a good indicator of what your program can achieve consistently.  Meaning, if you haven't been competing consistently at an elite level in the past, you're probably not going to do it consistently in the future, but that doesn't apply to individual teams.  As I said, history would've said that Wake Forest never would have a chance at an ACC title, and they never would be able to expect consistent bowl appearances, but Jim Grobe put together a stretch of quality teams that made it reasonable for Wake Forest fans to expect those teams to have success.

Can Wake Forest expect to maintain a spot among the ACC's best consistently?  No way, not based on their history and their support, but with Riley Skinner and the quality players they've had recently, it was not delusional for their fans to expect things from those individual teams.  Their program status says that Grobe will eventually get a better job if he continues to have success, and then they will regress back to the norm.  But for a few years with quality teams playing on the field, they had a right to expect good things.  The name on the jersey had nothing to do with their ability to win in a given year given the right combination of coach and players.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 14, 2009, 08:23:38 am
Your argument is still very weak in its premise, because history doesn't have anything to do with the current team.

Your argument is the weakest of all, because you actually think that your football program's last 47 years tell you nothing of what's to come in the future.

Like I said, you might be able buck the longstanding historical losing tradition at Ole Miss and win 9+ games in back-to-back years.  I just wouldn't expect it, if I was an Ole Miss fan (thank the good Lord I'm not).

LeArrEssSea

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 14, 2009, 07:59:41 am
They lost some of their best linemen from last season, their secondary will still be average at best, they have a coach who underperforms when expectations are high, they haven't put together back-to-back 9+ win seasons in 47 years, they haven't made the SEC Championship games since its inception.

They are Ole Miss.

Your argument is pathetic and lazy.  If the history of a team was worth as much as you say it is, then this season's BCS title game should be Army vs. Harvard.

Do you think Dexter McCluster, Greg Hardy, and Jevan Snead run out there and think to themselves "oh man the team which I currently play for hasn't won in such a long time how am I supposed to do this?"  No, they go out there and concern themselves with one thing: beating ass.

Anyone who falls back on the paper thin argument of history is a dolt.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LeArrEssSea on August 14, 2009, 09:49:10 am
Your argument is pathetic and lazy.  If the history of a team was worth as much as you say it is, then this season's BCS title game should be Army vs. Harvard.

Do you think Dexter McCluster, Greg Hardy, and Jevan Snead run out there and think to themselves "oh man the team which I currently play for hasn't won in such a long time how am I supposed to do this?"  No, they go out there and concern themselves with one thing: beating ass.

Anyone who falls back on the paper thin argument of history is a dolt.

Recent history, Thickskull.  As in the last 47 years.

Yes, I think McCluster, Hardy, and Snead are thinking about the 47 years of losing that is Ole Miss, everytime they run out on the field.  Speaking of dolts...

I'm not falling back on history as my argument.  If you were able to comprehend written English, you'd see that I think there are many other factors that will contribute to Ole Miss winning less than 9 games this season.

rebelbruiser has been using preseason rankings and the opinions of "college football experts" as reasons to justify his delusional expectations.  Talk about "paper thin" arguments....

The Hogfather

My biggest argument for Ole Miss not winning 9+ games this year:

They are Ole Miss

That's the "thickest" argument yet...

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 14, 2009, 10:18:23 am
Recent history, Thickskull.  As in the last 47 years.

Yes, I think McCluster, Hardy, and Snead are thinking about the 47 years of losing that is Ole Miss, everytime they run out on the field.  Speaking of dolts...

I'm not falling back on history as my argument.  If you were able to comprehend written English, you'd see that I think there are many other factors that will contribute to Ole Miss winning less than 9 games this season.

rebelbruiser has been using preseason rankings and the opinions of "college football experts" as reasons to justify his delusional expectations.  Talk about "paper thin" arguments....

No, my argument is that basically everyone else is saying we'll win 9 games, which means you're calling a lot more people than just Ole Miss fans delusional.

And yes I agree that history tells you a lot about a program's potential over the long term and it's potential for consistent success.  However, history doesn't tell you jack about a team for a single season.  The only history that matters to this particular team are the last 2-3 years and really only last year with this team and staff.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 14, 2009, 12:37:12 pm
No, my argument is that basically everyone else is saying we'll win 9 games, which means you're calling a lot more people than just Ole Miss fans delusional.

And yes I agree that history tells you a lot about a program's potential over the long term and it's potential for consistent success.  However, history doesn't tell you jack about a team for a single season.  The only history that matters to this particular team are the last 2-3 years and really only last year with this team and staff.

There are reasons you guys haven't enjoyed back-to-back 9+ win seasons in 47 years.  Those reasons still exist.  They didn't go away because you had a better-than-expected season last year.

If you want to "expect" 9 or 10 wins, go ahead.  But, I'll be here, saying that you, and most other Reb fans, are completely delusional to be EXPECTING 9+ wins.

Predicting (by the media and through polls) and expecting (by fans of a particular team)are different, too, by the way.  If I was a college football "expert" in the media or was voting for a PRESEASON poll, I would put Ole Miss in the top 10, too.  Not necessarily because I think they'll end up there at the end of the season, but because it is a "safe" pick.  If I get it wrong, everyone gets it wrong.

LeArrEssSea

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 14, 2009, 10:21:46 am

They are Ole Miss

You're lazy and stupid.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 14, 2009, 10:21:46 am

They are Ole Miss

I'll try your own argument against you with my argument for why Arkansas will never win the SEC:

They are Arkansas

Or is that argument not "thick".  After all, history over the last 17 years shows that you won't, which surely means you won't ever do it, and any Arkansas fan that thinks you will ever win an SEC title is obviously delusional.  Using your own logic, I'm guessing that's your opinion on your own team.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rebelbruiser on August 14, 2009, 01:49:11 pm
I'll try your own argument against you with my argument for why Arkansas will never win the SEC:

They are Arkansas

Or is that argument not "thick".  After all, history over the last 17 years shows that you won't, which surely means you won't ever do it, and any Arkansas fan that thinks you will ever win an SEC title is obviously delusional.  Using your own logic, I'm guessing that's your opinion on your own team.

We've been there a couple of times.  It's just a matter of time.  We have plenty of 9+ win seasons in the past 47 years, even back-to-back.

You're right, though.  It isn't going to happen consistently.

And the difference in the two arguments:  I am not expecting Arkansas to win the SEC.  I expect our program to have a minimum of 7 wins in 90% of our seasons.  I expect us to have more than 7 wins at least half of the time.  I expect to play in the SEC Championship at least 3 times a decade.  I HOPE for anything more than that.

You're still delusional.

The Hogfather

August 14, 2009, 02:37:16 pm #40 Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:43:35 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: LeArrEssSea on August 14, 2009, 01:35:56 pm
You're lazy and stupid.

Says the guy whose only posts are "You're lazy and stupid".