Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1190 & 1390 - What happened to ESPN radio???

Started by mcdilash, July 20, 2009, 07:16:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdilash

I may have missed something, but what happened to ESPN radio on 1190 and 1390am in NWA?  Fox radio is horrible!

Thanks,

Go Hogs!

Biggus Piggus

Hard to stomach the Keg being gone, but I guess they died long before they changed format.
[CENSORED]!

mcdilash

Table Rocker

does Tim Stanley from Total Document Solutions still advertise on the radio?

Table Rocker

Quote from: theProdigy on July 20, 2009, 07:52:30 pm

If he does, I'm sure he's mixing his metaphors and blandly feigning excitement all while expressing his odd affinity for toner.

he does get quite the boner for toner.

BoogerHollerHog

Quote from: theProdigy on July 20, 2009, 07:22:12 pm
The KEG is now on 98.3.  92.1 is KQSM.... come out to the celebration of the razorback tomorrow, we'll be giving away T-shirts and stuff.

They will soon find that No Razorback talk and no local personalities = No listeners. 105.3 is the best option out there right now

linze82

i like 92.1. only place for the herd in nwa
smite me bishes

NWASooner

QuoteI'm always wanting constructive criticism.

1.  Thank you for bringing the Herd back.  It's the only radio show I listen to.  I also have tons of 25-45 year old male friends who make good money and listen to it as well.  The show has a quite a following around here and how the other stations can't make money selling ad space to that demo is a mystery to me.  Anyway, thanks for bringing it back.

2.  Don't get too carried away with the local talk.  There are 2 or 3 other stations that talk local sports all day and all we have is one team to talk about.  It's not like we're a multi-team/multi-sport area.  Be a little different and I think you're on the right track at this point.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: theProdigy on July 20, 2009, 10:25:23 pm
I do a show once a week on KXUA from 6-8p.  on Fridays.  We've got a great SEC preview show set up for this friday.  88.3 FM.  I'll post a thread later this week for it.  We've got some great guests lined up, Chris Bahn and maybe some big guests to be named later. 

I do what I can, we can't take calls, YET, because of FCC regulations, but the show offers great content.  I might be partial, but I stand by the product. 

Good luck on your radio show.  I will give it a listen.

On a personal note, am I the only one who finds Dan Patrick boring as crap??  Besides his being boring I can't get beyond his constant talk about himself.  The worst "successful" radio personality ever, IMO.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

pigz

Get some new commercials please!!! And I'm real sick of hearing that Winston is cleared to play and the naturals got back to winning again last night. Why not just use some actual news clips?
You guys have a good time frig dancing

axharbor

ANYTHING is better than B3 in the Morning on 1190!  That show is MISERABLE.  The lady on there is just bad, I don't know if she just doesn't get it and tries to hang in there or what.  God bless her for trying, but sometimes you just need to walk away while you can.

I loved DP back when he had Dibble on there.  It never was as good once he left.  Just my opinions.

Oh, for what it's worth, the 7am show on 1190 isn't too hot either.  Grant isn't bad, but whoever that other guy is that thinks he knows everything and talks over Grant ALL THE TIME, is miserable.  He has gotten a lot better since they first started though. 

Question, can Genie Lamp call anymore often?  I enjoy him from time to time, but man Genie, don't you get sick of talking to those guys?

axharbor

They should let Tim Stanley have a show on 1190 about toner!  Imagine this, Tim Stanley doing play by play for a football game...  That'd be pretty funny to listen to.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 21, 2009, 08:11:57 am
Good luck on your radio show.  I will give it a listen.

On a personal note, am I the only one who finds Dan Patrick boring as crap??  Besides his being boring I can't get beyond his constant talk about himself.  The worst "successful" radio personality ever, IMO.

When DP was on ESPN I would listen because that was all that was on here, but his schtick got old because it became about him.  He was buddies with Reggie Miller and Adam Sandler.  He fell in love with himself.  He tries to be tongue in cheek but it's really just smugness.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

woodhog14

Quote from: ItcouldBworse on July 20, 2009, 09:59:14 pm
That's cool.  Everyone enjoys their own flavors.  Just putting my two cents in.  IMO the only reason 105.3 comes close to surviving is the DP show.  The morning hacks drive me nuts.  I quit Sports talk for a few weeks till I finally figured out where ESPN went to.

Yep...the morning drive on 105.3 is terrible.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: theProdigy on July 20, 2009, 07:57:56 pm
The Ticket is going to start making real strides over the next year.  There are big plans.  I'm just happy to be a part of them. 

It's a killer that they are extending the pregame to 3 hours.... some intern is going to have to sacrifice 8 hours of his day to Rick Scheaffer.... torture, sheer torture.
Been there....   Glad I'm not there now.

GrantMerrill

Quote from: woodhog14 on July 21, 2009, 10:59:57 am
Yep...the morning drive on 105.3 is terrible.

The Morning Drive on 105.3 is no longer after Friday. New Razorback oriented show will be on from 7-9...

Hornkiller

Just my opinion

I've got Sirius / XM. Bill King and Rival's Radio is the best for total college coverage, especially Football. It used to be heavy SEC but it has gone national and covers all teams. It's pretty balanced coverage, unlike most national shows that bow down and proclaim everything USC perfect. If a local station picked it up, it would be a great add.

As far as the local guys - there needs to be balance. When stations starting talking about 12 hours of local talk I asked is that really necessary for a small market? This isn't LA, NYC or even Dallas. Even the national shows start dragging down on the big stories after a hours of constent coverage. How many takes can you have on Mike Vick coming back, Tiger Woods missing the cut or MLB trade talks before it becomes too repetitive and a bore. In Dallas you have the Rangers, Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, College Football and basketball and prep sports. Here you have the Razorbacks, prep sports and hum... the Naturals?

Also you need to have a yin and yang in the studio. This is the only market I've been to that hasn't had a show where guys would go head to head on the issues in the local sports market. I don't know if people are scared of the powers at the University or sponsors but there is only so much you can take of the sunshine angle and the homers before you start to flip the switch.

A perfect example of this is in the OKC market with Jim Traber and Al Eschbach. Chuck Barrett's homerism for the Hogs is nothing compaired to Eschbach's Sooners, and he has to go head to head with the straight talking Traber, who after #1 OU beat #2 Texas in 03 said "if these are the best teams in college football, college football is really bad right now."

And Traber is a former pro baseball player who played football under Jimmy Johnson at OSU who isn't shy about telling a few war stories about the minor leagues or playing under Johnson. Why doesn't a guy like Quinn Grovey, Clint Stoner or Keith Jackson have his own local show? Most of us would enjoy hearing from a guy who was actually in the trenches instead of up in the press box. A guy who can actually tell you what is happening in the locker room before the guys with the notebooks walk in.

bigdaddyhawg

July 21, 2009, 08:13:16 pm #17 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:15:12 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: theProdigy on July 21, 2009, 07:45:30 pm
As far as Tandem's go, Shawn and Wally do a great job,

You know, Prodigy, I read some of your posts and I think "This guy's not bad, he's pretty sharp."  Then you go making a comment like this and loose every bit of good will you've developed!

The fact that these two guys have even been given air time on ANY radio station only speaks to how slim the local radio talent pickings must be (no insult intended to you).  I've tried many times to go over there and listen to their program, usually because DTS is discussing a topic that is so banal and boring me to tears, and I find it very difficult to hang with them and their absolute lack of intelligence.  Talk about knuckle draggers!!  I'll admit I've never been a Wally Hall fan (I think he's a joke as a sportswriter), but Shawn is even worse.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Fatman

I think you will like the new show on 105 next week!! It will provide information and a lively format that will hopefully keep you interested during the whole year!! I am biased because I know the host!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: theProdigy on July 21, 2009, 08:28:43 pm
I don't know if there is a BETTER dual host show in the state....

DTS most days, on most topics, is better.  I'm not a Rick Shaeffer fan by any stretch, but at least he's knowledgeable and not a retard.  I don't always agree with his viewpoint, but it is usually well thought out and logical.  You also get bonus days when they have Marcus or somebody else on that brings something to the table.

And I particularly like the info that Trey Biddy brings during his segment.  I hear things during that half hour that I don't get anywhere else.

Overall, I'd grade DTS a B most days.  Shawn and Wally -- D+ usually, C or so on their best days.

Hornkiller

Quote from: theProdigy on July 21, 2009, 08:33:28 pm
There will be people who love you and people who hate you.  The key is making sure, regardless of whether or not people love you or hate you, they listen.

We'll that is the story for most mass media talk formats. Love it or hate it, people will tune in. The case studies are there: Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, and Jim Rome. There is no "I think he's OK." You're either a fan or a hater. Either way, chances are your tuning in. When they did a study on listening habits, the people that hated Howard Stern tended to listen longer then the average listener.

Maybe that is the big sin with a lot of the guys I have in the market. (Besides the fact I could care less about the 20 minute breakdown of the Pea Ridge / Lavaca match-up) They're just ok. Chuckles "all my listeners are infidel" Barrett is the only one out there that knows how to raise the blood pressure. Rick doesn't, Bo doesn't.

What I mean about tandem is give and take, yin and yang. ESPN2's Mike and Mike works because you have an ex Jock and an everyman. OKC's sports animal works because you have a homer and a straight talker. That to me is what this market is missing.

Chuck's show became a love fest where people who didn't agree with his take got booted within 5 secs. I want a guy in the booth with Chuck so when he goes off on his "Arkansas would rule over in the Big XII" rant have someone right across from him saying "how is going .500 against the Big XII this decade an indication of ruling a conference?"

This is the PTI generation and majority of callers are smart enough to know if you call in and disagree with the host's take, you'll get booted long before you get your best shot in. We know who controls the phone line and these guys aren't going to chance getting egg on their face and scaring their integrity. Having 2 different points of view on the same show at the same time gives the listeners what they want; debates, arguments, passion but most of all.... a reason to tune in. Unless you have a larger then life personality (and those are rare even in the national market), you need the guy in the white hat and another in the black hat.

But that has never been this market. Why I'm not sure, but it seems most of the sports talk around here is "you're with us or against us." If you don't agree with me, don't bother calling in.

The Nerdery

Quote from: GrantMerrill on July 21, 2009, 01:34:07 pm
The Morning Drive on 105.3 is no longer after Friday. New Razorback oriented show will be on from 7-9...

Who will be hosting/co-hosting?  I love the Morning Drive.

GrantMerrill

Quote from: The Nerdery on July 22, 2009, 09:38:51 am
Who will be hosting/co-hosting?  I love the Morning Drive.

Derek Ruscin and Tommy Craft will be on from 7-9 AM.... Gary Campbell, Chris Bahn, and Brandon Marcello will be on from 12-3 PM, I will be on from 3-4 PM, and Shawn and Wally will be on from 4-7 PM. Dan Patrick moves from 9-Noon where he will air live. Outside of Patrick, that will give us local programming from 7 AM to 7 PM. I think it will be a great lineup...

92.1 and ESPN will have a dedicated following for Mike and Mike, Cowherd, etc.. We wish them the best of luck... TJ will do them a great job.

If Congress ever passes the performance tax that charges music stations by the song to broadcast.... get ready. There will be more talk and sports stations popping up everywhere you turn. It's already happening.

The Nerdery

Quote from: GrantMerrill on July 22, 2009, 10:39:08 am
Derek Ruscin and Tommy Craft will be on from 7-9 AM.... Gary Campbell, Chris Bahn, and Brandon Marcello will be on from 12-3 PM, I will be on from 3-4 PM, and Shawn and Wally will be on from 4-7 PM. Dan Patrick moves from 9-Noon where he will air live. Outside of Patrick, that will give us local programming from 7 AM to 7 PM. I think it will be a great lineup...

92.1 and ESPN will have a dedicated following for Mike and Mike, Cowherd, etc.. We wish them the best of luck... TJ will do them a great job.

If Congress ever passes the performance tax that charges music stations by the song to broadcast.... get ready. There will be more talk and sports stations popping up everywhere you turn. It's already happening.

I like that lineup.  I'll miss Gary and Mark and Chris in the mornings, but have been wanting to check out Ruscin and Craft up here.  Thanks for the update and the good work!

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BoogerHollerHog on July 20, 2009, 08:03:59 pm
They will soon find that No Razorback talk and no local personalities = No listeners. 105.3 is the best option out there right now

Have you listened to any of the Razorback-themed talk shows lately?

Death.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: theProdigy on July 22, 2009, 03:52:47 pm
Well Chuck Barrett will be on MY show on Friday as well as Chris Bahn, we are working on some other big guests for our SEC preview show.

Chuck will be in studio, and like I said, I've always liked Chuck's show.  But as a student, don't expect me to try and get him riled up.  It will be about what he thinks about the upcoming season and SEC media days.

Chuckie has got the gig he wants.  He doesn't need to start controversy any more.  He's not on the outside looking in any longer, he's on the inside now and will toe the company line I suspect.

MDW

Will 92.1 be the new flagship station for baseball next year?  Please?

Hornkiller

Quote from: GrantMerrill on July 22, 2009, 10:39:08 am

We'll its happening because traditional music stations have been losing their audience for years now. Remember when all those corporations went around and bought all the mom and pop stations. Play lists got thread bare (yes kids, The Eagles wrote more then 2 good songs), local talent was jettisoned for regional shows, and the only competition was another set of corporally owned stations you couldn't tell the difference between. Seriously folks; is there really any difference between the Keg and Eagle?

Unfortunately (or thankfully if your on my side of the fence) technology rose and gave the consumer greater choice. From iPods that can hold thousands of songs, to the internet where you can find specialty music stations to satellite radio with hundreds of deep and eclectic choices in music and talk. Music fans now don't have to settle for the same Heart, Zeppelin, Boston, Eagles rotation on one network or Zeppelin, Boston, Who and Heart on the other rock network. Sure some stations in bigger markets got creative and tried to change with the times (the Jack format that played diverse music from all decades just after Sirius and XM were launched) but for the most part music station stuck with their guns and the tried and true format.

Talk, whether sports, political, celebrity (Stern, Amos and Andy, Bob and Tom) or advice driven, has been radio's lone saving grace the past 10 years. And unless programmers can find a way to get back the listeners who left for more diverse offerings that pleased the individual's pallet, the number of music stations will continue to dwindle. Because in the end there are too many choices and offerings out there for the consumer to have to settle for what is offered to them by the traditional local station. 

If the performance tax passes it will be just an excuse that the radio people will make to cover their own bad decisions and lack of compensating and adjusting to the competition that new technology has spurned. In all truth, this tax is targeted after the satellite providers (who despite financial woes still have over 20 million in subscribers) and services like Rhapsody that allow you to listen to anything in their library as many times as you want for a flat fee.

GrantMerrill

Quote from: Hornkiller on July 22, 2009, 04:42:02 pm
We'll its happening because traditional music stations have been losing their audience for years now. Remember when all those corporations went around and bought all the mom and pop stations. Play lists got thread bare (yes kids, The Eagles wrote more then 2 good songs), local talent was jettisoned for regional shows, and the only competition was another set of corporally owned stations you couldn't tell the difference between. Seriously folks; is there really any difference between the Keg and Eagle?

Unfortunately (or thankfully if your on my side of the fence) technology rose and gave the consumer greater choice. From iPods that can hold thousands of songs, to the internet where you can find specialty music stations to satellite radio with hundreds of deep and eclectic choices in music and talk. Music fans now don't have to settle for the same Heart, Zeppelin, Boston, Eagles rotation on one network or Zeppelin, Boston, Who and Heart on the other rock network. Sure some stations in bigger markets got creative and tried to change with the times (the Jack format that played diverse music from all decades just after Sirius and XM were launched) but for the most part music station stuck with their guns and the tried and true format.

Talk, whether sports, political, celebrity (Stern, Amos and Andy, Bob and Tom) or advice driven, has been radio's lone saving grace the past 10 years. And unless programmers can find a way to get back the listeners who left for more diverse offerings that pleased the individual's pallet, the number of music stations will continue to dwindle. Because in the end there are too many choices and offerings out there for the consumer to have to settle for what is offered to them by the traditional local station. 

If the performance tax passes it will be just an excuse that the radio people will make to cover their own bad decisions and lack of compensating and adjusting to the competition that new technology has spurned. In all truth, this tax is targeted after the satellite providers (who despite financial woes still have over 20 million in subscribers) and services like Rhapsody that allow you to listen to anything in their library as many times as you want for a flat fee.

I don't disagree with any of that. With all of the technology that is coming out whether it be iPod, Satellite, in-car computer... radio is going to have to adjust.

In my opinion, if radio wants to make it, it must go beyond the music, and back to serving the local community. Local content.. No longer will you be able to get by just being an automated jukebox like so many of these stations have become. I have heard some very strange things on KURM over the years, but I'll hand it to the Colonel, he brings in the dollars on super-super-superserving the local community. I am pretty safe in saying that up here, if someone wants to hear the local election results or wants to know what happened at last night's city council meeting, they listen to him. As more on-demand technology evolves, more radio stations will have to do that type of thing to pay the bills.

Hornkiller

July 22, 2009, 05:08:44 pm #29 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:12:41 pm by Hornkiller
Smart call Mr. Merrill... that's the only thing keeping the local broadcast stations afloat. (because it isn't such riveting programming as Wipeout, Big Brother, America's Got Talent and whatever reality trash Fox has latched onto)

... and to poach from other thread with the glut of local talent and the advances in home recording technology;  one has to wonder where the local homegrown talent show has gone. Music can still have a role in local radio, but it's going to have to reflect the local tastes and offer something that large nationally programmed formats can't.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: theProdigy on July 20, 2009, 08:10:23 pm
You bet, best show in sports talk right now.

1Cowherd
2Patrick

everyone else.
I agree. The coach Beck and suckbe show blows. AHHHHHH AHHHH AHH Yer right there..AHHHH AHH. The coach burns time with total bluberish. I can do 2 mins of AHHHHHHHHHH/ AHHHHHHHHHHH/ AHHH Then I gotta go.

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Iwastherein1969

I don't care as long as I get the 'specials' at Sonic on their cheesy tater tots from RR and Hooten's Fearless Forecasts of Friday night frays as the monumental battles and  their S. Cantrell betting lines such as Rison by 5 over Genoa Central, Des Arc by 18 over Hazen and that unbelievable yearly battle between those two great powerhouse foes Magnet Cove and Bigelow
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Fatman

I have always wondered where to place bets on the high school lines each week!!

GoshenHog

92.1 the ticket was still advertising the Gottlieb show this morning.  But the last two afternoons has been some local guy instead.  What gives?  I agree with those who say we already have too many local shows.

hawg in memphis

Quote from: theProdigy on August 25, 2009, 10:40:29 pm
It takes time to get all the promos switched. Those voice guys aren't cheap.

Is this the guy that was on with Coach Beck when he started? If not what happened to him?

nextyearhog

A bit off topic but.. What is the music in the 92.1 commercial that starts off with Chuck doing the play-by-play and ends with coach talking about the softball stadium and playing in the SEC?

NWASooner

So, in the afternoon drive time in Northwest Arkansas, there are now four local sports talk shows?  Am I correct with that number?

ComeonHogs!!!

1190 talk in the morning. I really cannot understand what these guys are thinking. I truly believe they have no concept of what or who there audience is. I mean really how many people truly care about  the LPGA? Isn't there a Football game in little more than a week?
Do you think they understand that there audience changes about every 20 Min's during the drive to work in the morning? I tuned in at the beginning of the fall camp it was twenty till 8:00 in the morning. i only had until 8 BECAUSE I HAD TO BE AT WORK! I wanted anything hogs, some report, anything. ALL i got was about a 4 min rant about golf. and 30 sec about the football schedule.
The rest commercials..

1190 has a good history for talking about the hogs. It had people that understood that they had new listener all morning long so repeating things a couple of times a hour was okay.
They new that people would tune in certain times of the year to Hear about the hogs...Not golf....Not women's volleyball.

This am was the last straw.. from 7:50 to 8:00 nothing about the hogs! what did they spend there time talking about...LPGA!

Sorry for the rant but this has been buggin the crap out of me.
State Pride!!!