Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis says in his column the investiation lasted FIVE years

Started by Jim Harris, October 07, 2005, 11:23:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

this is [CENSORED] ridiculous. I'm not taking it anymore.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

DirkPiggler

Did you notice Jeff Necessary's post on HI (I think) the other day?  He said it affected six recruiting classes!
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Jim Harris

Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 07, 2005, 11:25:50 am
Did you notice Jeff Necessary's post on HI (I think) the other day? He said it affected six recruiting classes!

It's eventually going to have affected all eight of Nutt's years.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: drakehog on October 07, 2005, 11:28:18 am
Did you notice Jeff Necessary's post on HI (I think) the other day? He said it affected six recruiting classes!

It's eventually going to have affected all eight of Nutt's years.

Have to blame mediocrity on something.

idochog

Anyone wanna bet w/ these kind of articles being written by Grit that the figure of unhappy folks is somewhat higher than 5%?

It just pisses me off more when GRIT tries to insult my knowledge of why HDN sucks.
I love Jesus!

hogsanity

It did last about 5 years, however, this is the one excuse that I dont buy.  Why, It is HIGHLY doubtful we would have signed a difference maker with any of the lost scholarships or that it kept more than 2 guys from signing in the first place.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Donald Miller

Quote from: hogsanity on October 07, 2005, 11:47:34 am
It did last about 5 years, however, this is the one excuse that I dont buy. Why, It is HIGHLY doubtful we would have signed a difference maker with any of the lost scholarships or that it kept more than 2 guys from signing in the first place.

Thank you. The assumption is that we lost all of these "difference makers".  Who in the heck would that have been, Fitch and Montgomery?  Please, Fitch never played a down for TN and Montgomery ended up in the Big 12. 

I love Nutt when he says during Bo's interview that those two guys hurt and that we've lost out on a safety and we have to move WR to DE.  HELLLLLO, we've signed like 20 dbacks the last 2 recruiting yrs and you can't get one decent out of those two classes?  Yeah, that's the investigation's fault.  Give me a break. If you're going to debate it Coach, at least come up with something credible.  By the way, no one said Harrison had to be moved to DT. It's your own fault you have no depth and you had to move a JUCO WR who becomes your best DE so says your D-Coordinator. You fail to mention things like George Pugh was your fault. 

The guy on Bo and Mike said it best, I am tired of hearing how none of our decline during Nutt's era is his fault.  The radio and print media are unbearable.   

Jim Harris

It did last about 5 years, however, this is the one excuse that I dont buy. Why, It is HIGHLY doubtful we would have signed a difference maker with any of the lost scholarships or that it kept more than 2 guys from signing in the first place.

The NCAA's part of the investigation lasted from October 2000 to June of 2003. That ain't five years.

artyhog

With the self impossed limitation and the NCAA limitations to scolarships, it was 5 years.

I think that this recruiting class (2006) the Hogs can sign 25 players.

geoffhog

I couldn't wait to get home and see everyone blowing up over Otis' article. Reason always has that effect on here. I've seen Nutt's SEC record thrown out as "proof" he needs to go, but I've never seen it compared to the rest of the western division on this board. When you look at it that way, we stack up comparably. I guess they're all accepting mediocrity.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Turnberry

Quote from: drakehog on October 07, 2005, 11:23:58 am
this is farging ridiculous. I'm not taking it anymore.

I agree. If anyone wants to put a hit on him I have contacts....
aka PlanoHog

dirty stanchez

Nutt can't recruit and he can't coach.

Usually that's a pretty good combination to get someone fired.

idochog

Quote from: dirty stanchez on October 07, 2005, 12:19:33 pm

Matt Jones kinda delayed it for HDN.
I love Jesus!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: drakehog on October 07, 2005, 11:23:58 am
this is farging ridiculous. I'm not taking it anymore.

Frick Otis, he's an idiot.  Next year it will be that it lasted "six years" or it is still going on.  These peopel make me sick.  I will tell you this much Otis has afflicted the Hogs with more bad recruiting decisons that any so called "investigation".  Grit is part of the Nutt cancer, he's kind of a metasis of the main tumor.

HogInMemphis

Did you notice Jeff Necessary's post on HI (I think) the other day?  He said it affected six recruiting classes!
Out of all the posters I've ever encountered on all these boards going back to at least 1998, Necessary is the biggest pu.ssy I've come across.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: artyhog on October 07, 2005, 12:00:57 pm
With the self impossed limitation and the NCAA limitations to scolarships, it was 5 years.

that's not the length of the investigation, as Grit wrongly stated. The investigation lasted less than 3 years.

JDHogg

Quote from: geoffhog on October 07, 2005, 12:14:18 pm
I couldn't wait to get home and see everyone blowing up over Otis' article. Reason always has that effect on here. I've seen Nutt's SEC record thrown out as "proof" he needs to go, but I've never seen it compared to the rest of the western division on this board. When you look at it that way, we stack up comparably. I guess they're all accepting mediocrity.

Who do we stack up comparably to in the West?  LSU, national Champs? or MSU, national Chumps?  Get real, defend Nutt if you want, but get real.  The only thing of accuracy you state is about the other schools accepting mediocrity.  However, MSU, Miss, LSU have fired coaches to try to improve.  Alabama is not this POWERHOUSE everyone thinks.....just wait and see.  If we were in the Big 12 north and just stacked comparably to Iowa State, Nebraska (last few years, etc,) does that make it okay?  Where are we today that we weren't in 1998?  Don't bring up this investigation CRAP........the overpayments took place WHILE HDN was head coach........he should NOT get a pass for his staff's failure to track everything.  You can't risk that stuff. 
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

Hog Bounty Hunter

I will say it again, Grit is responsible for more bad recruiting that any investigation or loss of scholarships that the NCAA handed down. If this "investigation" affected us so much the guy to blame is Fank Broyles, he was warned about it and did nothing. If it has done that much damage he should either quit or be fired. 

Hog Bounty Hunter

I gave you Nutt apologist a chance to be at 10-1, none of you took it so now the offer is off.

mikeirwin

Quote from: drakehog on October 07, 2005, 11:55:56 am

The NCAA's part of the investigation lasted from October 2000 to June of 2003. That ain't five years.
The allegations first surfaced in late December of 1999 so technically you could say it MIGHT HAVE affected recruiting from that point until February of 2003. That's just over three years. I have no idea how that can be transformed into five years.
Anybody who studies this situation with some objectivity will tell you that the only measurable effect it had was on signing day of 2003. HDN himself did not make an issue of it until 2002.

JDHogg

The offenses (or overpayments occured while Nutt was coach in summer of 1998 right?  Why does Houston get to sidestep the investigation and consequences, if any?  Is he not ultimately responsible for the football program?  Does he not know that his players are being paid for summer work?  Seems like the staff was not running a tight ship and Houston doesn't want to be held accountable.  He (HDN) gets NO PASS from me.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

JD Hogg

Quote from: artyhog on October 07, 2005, 12:00:57 pm

Technically this may be true, however, what is so frustrating is that nutt and the nuttsuckers want us to believe that recruiting suffered for five years because of this supposed "cloud".  There were only two classes where this "cloud", or the perception it caused,  MAY have influenced a recruits decision.  The truth is the impact of the investigation was negligible on recruiting because nutt and his staff would have wasted whatever talent they may have gotten if the thing had never occured. 

BTW, nuttsucker is not a derogatory term aimed at those supporting nutt.  It is a descriptive term designed to illustrate how nutt has "suckered" or conned good Razorback fans into believing that the best we can do as a state and university is whatever he can achieve as head coach.  I don't blame the fans, I blame the con artist, hdn and I don't believe him.  I believe we can do better than nutt.

Swino

Otis makes his living off of the U of A, more importantly, he makes his living off of good news coming from the U of A.  If he writes how crappy our recruits are, 2 things happen.  1) Nobody will pay to read bad news and 2) Houston and Co. would not like him and stop giving him crumbs of info. 

This guy has to churn out the company line or he is out of a job.  This is also why he has absolutly NO credibility.  Not to mention that he isn't even a real journalist, what do you expect out of toady?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 07, 2005, 11:43:04 am
We can all chant "Fire Houston Nutt" in unison next week after Auburn beats us. Surely 45,000 Hog fans screaming that will get Broyles attention. ;D

Do you think we will have 45,000 at the game from the comments on the board.  ;D  Don't hate the player hate the game.

idochog

Quote from: Swino on October 07, 2005, 02:31:33 pm
Otis makes his living off of the U of A, more importantly, he makes his living off of good news coming from the U of A. If he writes how crappy our recruits are, 2 things happen. 1) Nobody will pay to read bad news and 2) Houston and Co. would not like him and stop giving him crumbs of info.

This guy has to churn out the company line or he is out of a job. This is also why he has absolutly NO credibility. Not to mention that he isn't even a real journalist, what do you expect out of toady?

And OTis has the gall to say he is not biased when he makes a living from his recruiting report (dont buy it) based on his access to HDN.
I love Jesus!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: idochog on October 07, 2005, 02:42:40 pm
Quote from: Swino on October 07, 2005, 02:31:33 pm
Otis makes his living off of the U of A, more importantly, he makes his living off of good news coming from the U of A. If he writes how crappy our recruits are, 2 things happen. 1) Nobody will pay to read bad news and 2) Houston and Co. would not like him and stop giving him crumbs of info.

This guy has to churn out the company line or he is out of a job. This is also why he has absolutly NO credibility. Not to mention that he isn't even a real journalist, what do you expect out of toady?

And OTis has the gall to say he is not biased when he makes a living from his recruiting report (dont buy it) based on his access to HDN.

Only one thing you said is not correct, HDN recruits based on his access to Otis Kirk. That is one of the huge problems with our program and one of the main reasons Grit is a Nutt apologist.

three

At some point, it became okay for some journalists to put a "spin" on everything in favor of the program.  These journalists seem to be favored and/or appreciated more than those who "tell it like it is."  People like Mike Irwin, Scott Cain, Bob Holt, etc. who try to hint criticism in their everyday work are, in turn, discriminated against and discredited by the UA brass.  As a relative outsider, someone who's grown up a hog fan out of state, I can't understand how this happened.  But it is disgusting to see, now that I am up here.  The eternal optimists seem to believe any criticism of the program is a reflection of someone's alterior motives to bring down the UA.  That is simply not true, everyone here wants the program to thrive, some see that it has been heading in the wrong direction over the last four or five years and want to see improvements.  Others seem afraid of change, perhaps rightfully so, and want things to stay the same, trusting that it will improve.  I've learned you cannot simply attack HDN and JFB all the time, you can't ask everyday the really difficult questions, because at some point professionalism will be lost and they will simply stop talking to you.  So, in order to do your job properly, you can't always be on the offensive.  However, you can take a page out of Mike Irwin's book.....when the opportunity presents itself, ask a difficult question.  You may not get the answer you want, but at least you're not acting passively.  Just because you can't ask all the tough questions you probably should, you don't have to take the spoon-fed answers HDN wants to give.  In the media's defense, more and more people are getting fed up with the product they see on the field and that's being reflected in their work.  The positive spinners are no longer the majority, and I'd say that's a good sign things are heading in the right direction.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Jim Harris

Quote from: dirty stanchez on October 07, 2005, 12:19:33 pm

Everywhere but here.

That's going to be the title of the next movie about UA athletics, "Everywhere But Here," starring Frank Broyles, Nutt and Nutt, The Grim Reaper of Arkansas Football, Matt Shanklin, Don Decker and Bill Gray. With Nolan and John White as the sinister combatants to Frank, where Frank gets the two evil combatants to rip each others' heads off while he stands off on the side with Lindsey, laughing. It will be narrated by Rick Schaeffer, Mike Nail and Chuck Barrett.

Kevin

somebody better check that cloud. i think they all are smokin something and trying to pass it on to us.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Torqued pork

The more articles I read from Otis, the closer I get to cheering AGAINST the Hogs. The BS we are subjected to has reached an all-time high. Everytime we read a sports section or listen to a local sports show, we get our intelligence insulted by the Arkansas sports media. I've gotten to the point where I can't even have a half-arse decent day because of all the crap.

MarieHogFan

Quote from: geoffhog on October 07, 2005, 12:14:18 pm

Since every school in the Western Division has fired a coach since Houston Nutt has been at Arkansas I guess they're not accepting mediocrity.

clemensrules01

neither mississippi state or auburn have won the national championship. auburn went undefeated last year, but didn't even get a share of the national championship.  lsu got a share and never won it all.

that being said, i wouldn't be complaining about nutt either if he went undefeated one season and won a BCS bowl.  speaking of BCS bowls, we've never been to one under nutt!!!!!!!!!

PintailKiller

Otis sucks - his info in totally biased.  Every kid that Arkansas likes is the2nd coming and all the ones Arkansas passes on, ie can't get, are problems.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

MarieHogFan

Quote from: clemensrules01 on October 07, 2005, 05:10:52 pm
neither mississippi state or auburn have won the national championship. auburn went undefeated last year, but didn't even get a share of the national championship.  lsu got a share and never won it all.

LSU didn't win a share.  They were the official BCS National Champions as recognized by the NCAA.  There is no more "sharing" of the national championship.  The BCS winner is the national champion. 

USC was voted #1 in a poll that year but they were not national champions even thought the media loves to say they were.

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: MarieHogFan on October 08, 2005, 12:33:14 am

LSU didn't win a share. They were the official BCS National Champions as recognized by the NCAA. There is no more "sharing" of the national championship. The BCS winner is the national champion.

USC was voted #1 in a poll that year but they were not national champions even thought the media loves to say they were.

Hate to disagree but until they have a playoff system that legitimately provides a national champion there will ALWAYS be the potential of a split champion. Especially since the AP poll is no longer used in the BCS formula. AP still has too much credibility and BCS is too shaky for 2 teams that are ranked #1 in each poll not to claim they are national champs.

dirty stanchez

I say that if you're not undefeated, then you don't deserve to be called national champion in football.

MarieHogFan

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 08, 2005, 12:45:45 am
Quote from: MarieHogFan on October 08, 2005, 12:33:14 am

LSU didn't win a share. They were the official BCS National Champions as recognized by the NCAA. There is no more "sharing" of the national championship. The BCS winner is the national champion.

Hate to disagree but until they have a playoff system that legitimately provides a national champion there will ALWAYS be the potential of a split champion. Especially since the AP poll is no longer used in the BCS formula. AP still has too much credibility and BCS is too shaky for 2 teams that are ranked #1 in each poll not to claim they are national champs.

You can disagree if you want but there is only one official national champion and that's the BCS Champion.

The AP is just another poll, and while you may feel it is credible, it has no more authority of awarding national champions then all the other polls that pick a final national champ.  The media is the one that tries to make the AP more important than it really is because, suprise-suprise, it's the media that votes in it.  Why is the media poll more credible than all the other polls out there that use computers to determine a #1?

You may not like the BCS system and think it's flawed, and I don't disagree, but it is the "playoff system" that has been devised by the NCAA for awarding a national champion.

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: MarieHogFan on October 08, 2005, 12:54:58 am

You can disagree if you want but there is only one official national champion and that's the BCS Champion.

The AP is just another poll, and while you may feel it is credible, it has no more authority of awarding national champions then all the other polls that pick a final national champ. The media is the one that tries to make the AP more important than it really is because, suprise-suprise, it's the media that votes in it. Why is the media poll more credible than all the other polls out there that use computers to determine a #1?

You may not like the BCS system and think it's flawed, and I don't disagree, but it is the "playoff system" that has been devised by the NCAA for awarding a national champion.

The current BCS systems is far, far away from being a playoff system. It's mostly about money. As far as the AP poll goes, I will be honest...I have more respect for it than I do the current BCS incarnation. They are using the freaking Harris Poll for Chrissakes! They had Illinois, Idaho, and South Dakota State with votes! None of those teams has a winning record...you call that credible?? I'm not trying to rail on you...just tyring to explain why I think the AP poll is more credible than the CURRENT BCS fomula. Oh and Stanchez....what if everyone loses at least one game? Nobody wins the NC?  ;D

dirty stanchez

Exactly.

There shouldn't be a national champion.

I mean, if you got beat, you can't say you were the best.

Now, if there were a playoff system, I would say otherwise.

But to call someone the undisputed national champion while having a loss on their record is ridiculous.

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: dirty stanchez on October 08, 2005, 01:05:54 am
Exactly.

But to call someone the undisputed national champion while having a loss on their record is ridiculous.

I think we are saying the same thing then. In order to have a true, undisputed champ...you gotta let all the best teams duke it out in a playoff system. Wouldn't be that hard. Take your 8 best teams...set up the brackets and 3 games later...you got yourself a national champ. Won't happen though...too much money would be lost by the current BCS system.

dirty stanchez

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 08, 2005, 01:09:06 am
Exactly.

I think we are saying the same thing then. In order to have a true, undisputed champ...you gotta let all the best teams duke it out in a playoff system. Wouldn't be that hard. Take your 8 best teams...set up the brackets and 3 games later...you got yourself a national champ. Won't happen though...too much money would be lost by the current BCS system.

Yeah, we actually agree on something.

It's just silly to call someone a National Champ and not the other team that has the SAME record.

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: dirty stanchez on October 08, 2005, 01:10:42 am
Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 08, 2005, 01:09:06 am
Exactly.

Yeah, we actually agree on something.

It's just silly to call someone a National Champ and not the other team that has the SAME record.

Hrmm check this article out over at ESPN...they just hired a new director for the BCS...guy that used to run March Madness for basketball...Things that make ya go, hrmmmmmm. Perhaps we are being prophetic?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2183993

dirty stanchez