Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "Cardinal" at ArkansasRazorbacks.com

Started by The UnderHog, May 02, 2009, 01:19:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The UnderHog

I'm sure it's just a typo, but thought you might want to know that the UA used to be the Cardinals (like St. Louis), not the Cardinal (like Stanford).

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&KEY=&ATCLID=1514570

Arkansas' athletic teams have not always been called the Razorbacks. During the early years of its athletic history, the Cardinal served as the University nickname.

A lot of things changed in 1909, however, when Arkansas football coach Hugo Bezdek called his players "a wild band of Razorback hogs," after guiding his team to a 16-0 victory over Louisiana State on October 30, 1909.

Alluding to the Razorback, characterized by a ridge back and tenacious, wild fighting ability, Bezdek never forgot this idea and often called his team "a fighting band of Razorbacks." This new nickname became increasingly popular and the student body voted to change the official University mascot from the Cardinal to the Razorbacks in 1910.

In the 1920s, "Wooo, Pig, Sooie" was added as the school yell, referred to more commonly as the "Hog Call."

There are dozens of Lions, Tigers and Bears, but in all of college athletics there is only one Razorback. The distinctive logo of the Arkansas teams is officially known as the Profile Hog, but is known to many fans as the Helmet Hog -- a fixture of the football team's helmet for almost half a century.

Thanks for checking into this.

HawgFan26

The mascot used to be the Cardinal and now it is the Razorback.  Thanks for clearing that up.  ::)

Hog on the Hill

He's saying our mascot was the Cardinals not the Cardinal.

SRFL

Is Faulkner English still a requirement?

cfhogs

prodigalhawg

May 02, 2009, 03:36:31 pm #5 Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:10:36 pm by prodigalhawg
NM... I stand corrected

Olhickory

Quote from: prodigalhawg on May 02, 2009, 03:36:31 pm
When Stanford comes running out onto the field on gameday, do you think their announcer says, "Hey, let's hear it for our Stanford Cardinal!"?? Wouldn't each individual player be A cardinal, just like each St. Louis player is A cardinal??  Wouldn't a group of these be considered CARDINALS?? Not sure I get this philosophy...  ???

Stanford (which thinks its an IVY league school) based their mascot off a color like many IVY league schools do (Harvard Crimson, Dartmouth Green, Cornell Big Red) so they nicknamed the Stanford Cardinal.  Their logo is a tree.  Louisville, St. Louis, Arizona (NFL) based their logo on a red bird named a cardinal so a group or team would  be the cardinals.  That it why Stanford is the Cardinal and Louisville are the cardinals.

hoginator

The Cardinals used for Arkansas at that time was based off the color...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Root66

Quote from: hoginator on May 02, 2009, 08:27:29 pm
The Cardinals used for Arkansas at that time was based off the color...

I'm afraid not, my friend. Click the link below and scroll down to "ARKANSAS CARDINALS PENNANT" from 1909, play the video and take note of the school colors.

http://www.hogdb.com/page/2/

PaleHorse

Yea, most yearbooks had a cardinal on the cover.

Here are pictures from the 1902 yearbook 

The Cardinal a bird, but singular

http://www.hogdb.com/razorback-photos/thumbnails-127.html
Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

BassinHawg

Texarkana - Still the original Razorbacks.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Root66

Quote from: BassinHawg on May 03, 2009, 01:17:10 pm
Texarkana - Still the original Razorbacks.

Not hardly...

History of Texarkana High & Junior High Schools

From the article...

QuoteFirst Arkansas High 1911:  This is a picture of the First Texarkana Arkansas High School, located at the corner of 5th and Beech Streets.  After the new Arkansas High School was built at 932 Pecan, it was used as a Manual Training building until 1914 when the first Junior High School was established in the State of Arkansas and one of the few in the United States.

Since the Arkansas Cardinals became the Arkansas Razorbacks in 1910 and Texarkana didn't even exist in 1910, I doubt that they were the original Hogs. Not to mention the fact that Texarkana probably didn't field a football team in it's first few years of existence.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Root66 on May 02, 2009, 11:05:24 pm
I'm afraid not, my friend. Click the link below and scroll down to "ARKANSAS CARDINALS PENNANT" from 1909, play the video and take note of the school colors.

Good clip.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

10thPlanet

Root nice find on the clip!
In other news: Seems California is always ahead of everyone. Those political correct people were already on the NCAA bandwagon back in 1972.
http://www.gostanford.com/school-bio/stan-nickname-mascot.html

hoginator

Quote from: Root66 on May 02, 2009, 11:05:24 pm

Not so fast, my friend. Just because it's on the news doesn't make it true. While I think that is an interesting video, I have a few thoughts on some things that don't add up.

Does that bird on the pennant look like a Cardinal? A Hawk maybe, but not a Cardinal, male or female. Well, unless female Cardinals have evolved in the last 100 years to become smaller and lose those black and white stripes on their wings. For that matter, why does the 1902 "supposed" yearbook cover have a male Cardinal (red) on it, and the 1909 pennant have whatever bird that is? (Plus, I would think that male athletes in 1909 would find it insulting to have a female bird as their mascot. No offense ladies. Just sayin'.)

What about the purple and yellow colors? The black and white pics of the football teams unfortunately offer no concrete proof of what team colors were, but LSU purple and yellow? Maybe it WAS a female Cardinal on the pennant after all. My apologies. ;)

Also, why is the pennant in the 1910 Arkansas/LSU program right below the video Cardinal and White? What happened to the Purple and Yellow pennant? Oh, it changed because the student body voted the new mascot to be a Razorback and everyone knows that Razorbacks are red! Oh wait, they are brown.

As far as the yearbooks go, the journalism folks may have associated the Cardinal bird with the name, but that's not proof that the Cardinal bird was the mascot. I stand behind my original post...

The UnderHog

May 05, 2009, 08:42:46 am #15 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:06:14 am by The UnderHog
From the Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2163

Along with research and academic achievements, UA is known nationwide for its mascot, the Razorback. In 1895, the students voted on cardinal red as the official school color, and UA athletes were then known as the Cardinals. But an impassioned speech changed the course of the school's history. Arkansas football coach Hugo Bezdek was greeted by a crowd of excited students at the Fayetteville train station on October 30, 1909. The underdog UA team had scored a major victory on the road, defeating Louisiana State 16-0. Coach Bezdek shouted to the delighted crowd that their team had performed "like a wild band of Razorback hogs." The crowd loved the comparison to Arkansas's ferocious wild boar, with its ridged back and fierce fighting ability, and in 1910, the students voted for the official university mascot to be changed from the Cardinals to the Razorbacks.

College Football History.com

http://www.collegefootballhistory.com/arkansas/history.htm

The Early Years

At that time Arkansas was called the Cardinals. The student body picked the bird as its mascot since the school colors were cardinal and white. Bezdek took the Cardinals to a 5-4 season in '08, but his team was shut out by Texas and thumped by LSU in the season finale.

Also check out: http://www.jpro-nwa.com/hogs.htm

PaleHorse

Quote from: hoginator on May 04, 2009, 11:44:07 pm
Not so fast, my friend. Just because it's on the news doesn't make it true. While I think that is an interesting video, I have a few thoughts on some things that don't add up.

Does that bird on the pennant look like a Cardinal? A Hawk maybe, but not a Cardinal, male or female. Well, unless female Cardinals have evolved in the last 100 years to become smaller and lose those black and white stripes on their wings. For that matter, why does the 1902 "supposed" yearbook cover have a male Cardinal (red) on it, and the 1909 pennant have whatever bird that is? (Plus, I would think that male athletes in 1909 would find it insulting to have a female bird as their mascot. No offense ladies. Just sayin'.)

What about the purple and yellow colors? The black and white pics of the football teams unfortunately offer no concrete proof of what team colors were, but LSU purple and yellow? Maybe it WAS a female Cardinal on the pennant after all. My apologies. ;)

Also, why is the pennant in the 1910 Arkansas/LSU program right below the video Cardinal and White? What happened to the Purple and Yellow pennant? Oh, it changed because the student body voted the new mascot to be a Razorback and everyone knows that Razorbacks are red! Oh wait, they are brown.

As far as the yearbooks go, the journalism folks may have associated the Cardinal bird with the name, but that's not proof that the Cardinal bird was the mascot. I stand behind my original post...

The supposed yearbook picture was scanned by me, from the Yearbook.  I assure you it's real.  Don't you think students actually attending the University at the time we were called the Cardinal would have known better than you 100 years later?  I will try to dig up more information.  I do believe they were referred to as "The Cardinal" as you say though.

little pigee

I think we should bring suit!  I am already feeling pain and anguish.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Tylerhog

Quote from: Root66 on May 03, 2009, 02:27:18 pm
Not hardly...

History of Texarkana High & Junior High Schools

From the article...

Since the Arkansas Cardinals became the Arkansas Razorbacks in 1910 and Texarkana didn't even exist in 1910, I doubt that they were the original Hogs. Not to mention the fact that Texarkana probably didn't field a football team in it's first few years of existence.

Not hardly again my friend, Texarkana was the first buddy.

The first actual U of A team (Arkansas Cardinals) was formed in 1894 with John C. Futrall as manager and coach. In 1910 the students voted to change the  name to the Arkansas Razorbacks. U of A made an agreement with AHS to "use" the Razorback logo as their mascot; In turn, giving AHS used athletic equipment from the university.  This practice has been suspended at the present.

Link:   http://www.hogalumni.com/memories/pig_stye/pig_stye.html

Root66

Quote from: hoginator on May 04, 2009, 11:44:07 pm

Does that bird on the pennant look like a Cardinal? A Hawk maybe, but not a Cardinal, male or female. Well, unless female Cardinals have evolved in the last 100 years to become smaller and lose those black and white stripes on their wings.

I had the same thought about that "cardinal". But on the other hand, the current razorback logo doesn't look much like the early 1900s version either. According to historical accounts, however, the student body did vote to change the mascot/name from Cardinals to Razorbacks effective with the 1910 season and the team color to cardinal red from heliotrope purple.

QuoteFor that matter, why does the 1902 "supposed" yearbook cover have a male Cardinal (red) on it, and the 1909 pennant have whatever bird that is? (Plus, I would think that male athletes in 1909 would find it insulting to have a female bird as their mascot. No offense ladies. Just sayin'.)

Why why do the LSU Tigers wear purple and gold? While the Missouri Tigers wear black and gold. But the Clemson Tigers wear orange and blue. And yet, the Auburn Tigers-Plainsmen-War Eagle wear blue and orange?

QuoteWhat about the purple and yellow colors? The black and white pics of the football teams unfortunately offer no concrete proof of what team colors were, but LSU purple and yellow? Maybe it WAS a female Cardinal on the pennant after all. My apologies. ;)

Obviously color choices of the various institutions of higher learning bear no association to the actual color/s of their mascot, do they?  Hence the Clemson/LSU/Missouri example up above. ;)

QuoteAlso, why is the pennant in the 1910 Arkansas/LSU program right below the video Cardinal and White? What happened to the Purple and Yellow pennant? Oh, it changed because the student body voted the new mascot to be a Razorback and everyone knows that Razorbacks are red! Oh wait, they are brown.

See all the above.

QuoteAs far as the yearbooks go, the journalism folks may have associated the Cardinal bird with the name, but that's not proof that the Cardinal bird was the mascot. I stand behind my original post...

OK...the fact remains you are wrong. Texarkana H.S. didn't even exist in 1910...and when it fielded its first athletic team they obviously copied it from the state university. You didn't even address this fact. ???

hoginator

Quote from: PaleHorse on May 05, 2009, 08:57:24 am
The supposed yearbook picture was scanned by me, from the Yearbook.  I assure you it's real.  Don't you think students actually attending the University at the time we were called the Cardinal would have known better than you 100 years later?  I will try to dig up more information.  I do believe they were referred to as "The Cardinal" as you say though.
I believe that it is an actual yearbook. You are right, students would know better than me. I stand corrected on that point. Yes, students that attended in 1909 would be able to clear this whole thing up. Any takers?

Quote from: The UnderHog on May 05, 2009, 08:42:46 am
College Football History.com

http://www.collegefootballhistory.com/arkansas/history.htm

The Early Years

At that time Arkansas was called the Cardinals. The student body picked the bird as its mascot since the school colors were cardinal and white.[b/] Bezdek took the Cardinals to a 5-4 season in '08, but his team was shut out by Texas and thumped by LSU in the season finale.

Also check out: http://www.jpro-nwa.com/hogs.htm
Again, I stand by my original post that stated "The Cardinals used for Arkansas at that time was based off the color..."

Root66

May 05, 2009, 11:12:48 am #21 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:15:50 am by Root66
Quote from: hoginator on May 05, 2009, 10:57:47 am
I believe that it is an actual yearbook. You are right, students would know better than me. I stand corrected on that point. Yes, students that attended in 1909 would be able to clear this whole thing up. Any takers?
Again, I stand by my original post that stated "The Cardinals used for Arkansas at that time was based off the color..."

Again...you are wrong. Not only are you wrong...but you are not correct. And the high school in Texarkana was not the original Razorbacks...which was your original contention.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Root66 on May 05, 2009, 10:45:23 am

I had the same thought about that "cardinal". But on the other hand, the current razorback logo doesn't look much like the early 1900s version either. According to historical accounts, however, the student body did vote to change the mascot/name from Cardinals to Razorbacks effective with the 1910 season and the team color to cardinal red from heliotrope purple.

Why why do the LSU Tigers wear purple and gold? While the Missouri Tigers wear black and gold. But the Clemson Tigers wear orange and blue. And yet, the Auburn Tigers-Plainsmen-War Eagle wear blue and orange?

Obviously color choices of the various institutions of higher learning bear no association to the actual color/s of their mascot, do they?  Hence the Clemson/LSU/Missouri example up above. ;)

See all the above.

OK...the fact remains you are wrong. Texarkana H.S. didn't even exist in 1910...and when it fielded its first athletic team they obviously copied it from the state university. You didn't even address this fact. ???

Not to bust your bubble, but you are absolutely incorrect about Texarkana and the Razorbacks....

The site that your cited is about the Junior High School. The photo depicting the 1910 HS was actually constructed circa 1895 or 1896....

Try this site as well:  http://www.hogalumni.com/memories/pig_stye/pig_stye.html

bp

BorderPatrol

I stand corrected...it was constructed in 1886, a full 24 years before your actual date.

bp

Root66

Quote from: BorderPatrol on May 05, 2009, 11:24:26 am
Not to bust your bubble, but you are absolutely incorrect about Texarkana and the Razorbacks....

The site that your cited is about the Junior High School. The photo depicting the 1910 HS was actually constructed circa 1895 or 1896....

Try this site as well:  http://www.hogalumni.com/memories/pig_stye/pig_stye.html

bp

I don't have a bubble. Just a few facts.

You're telling me the school district of Texarkana replaced this two-story, rather modern looking building supposively built in 1886, with Greek columns, dome and all...

with this small, rather ugly single story building in 1911? What the hell were they thinking? Described under the photo  as "First Texarkana High School". Which is it?

I like this quote from your site...

Very little is written about early football.  Paul and I spent the afternoon trying to read old newspapers to no avail.  The public library had very little about the school.  Local historians say that AHS was first (this may be Hayes McClerkin). Some say that AHS didn't have a football team until 1912.  The first class graduated in 1899.
Of course, we know the University declared themselves Razorbacks in 1910....one writer said 1915.  It was interesting that the University played Ft. Smith high school when first organized.
If you read the Texarkana Gazette today, you will find this statement: "A spokesman with the U of A said when UA began licensing the Razorback trademark with the United States Patent and Trademarks office in 1988, anyone using the symbol of the Razorback previously was grand-fathered into the agreement."
Clarice & Paul Caver (Class of 54)

But whatever you say chief. By the way...the one writer who said 1915 for the UofA, was incorrect.

hogansas

It is now officially not football season.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

Root66

May 05, 2009, 01:45:01 pm #26 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:45:35 pm by Root66
Quote from: hogansas on May 05, 2009, 01:22:58 pm
It is now officially not football season.

No, it's been official now for months. We are all the way thru spring practice.

BorderPatrol

Whatever you say, hoss....

We all know someone from MO knows more about the history of the very town someone was born in, lived in all their life in, worships in, graduated from and sends their children to the very school you are talking about...

From reading this thread, it seems you are a very argumentive person....

bp

BorderPatrol

And just for kicks, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks :

"The University of Arkansas student body voted to change the name of the school mascot (originally the Cardinals) in 1910 to the Arkansas Razorbacks. Since the Razorback name was already in use by the Texarkana Arkansas High School Razorbacks, the University agreed to 'use' the Razorback logo as their mascot; In turn, giving Arkansas High School used athletic equipment from the university."

bp

PaleHorse

Does anyone know when Texarkana started playing football?

anyone care to break out the microfilm?

Root66

May 05, 2009, 03:59:38 pm #30 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:41:18 pm by Root66
Quote from: BorderPatrol on May 05, 2009, 02:31:43 pm
And just for kicks, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks :

"The University of Arkansas student body voted to change the name of the school mascot (originally the Cardinals) in 1910 to the Arkansas Razorbacks. Since the Razorback name was already in use by the Texarkana Arkansas High School Razorbacks, the University agreed to 'use' the Razorback logo as their mascot; In turn, giving Arkansas High School used athletic equipment from the university."

bp

As posted on Wikipedia by you and Hoginator? I'm sure in 1910 there was just all kinds of communications between the college in Fayetteville and the highschool in Texarkana, which were  178 crow flying miles apart. Texarkana HS is the Razorbacks...the UNIVERSITY is the Razorbacks. There IS NO PROOF one way or the other.

Even those two websites developed and maintained by two different sets of TEXARKANA, AR NATIVES do NOT AGREE. Get over it.

One thing about it. In perusing (reading) the last website...it was noted that the first graduating class at THS was in 1899 and there were about 6 grads if I remember correctly...ALL GIRLS. And it continued that way for several years. Mostly girls. Then a sprinkling of boys. I was all the way up to 1907 or 1908 before I saw enough boys in ALL CLASSES to even field a 7 man football team. Unless Texarkana grew some really tough females the high school DID NOT play football for several years at best, and they should have been known as the Fouke river monsters. ;)

Root66

Quote from: PaleHorse on May 05, 2009, 02:45:20 pm
Does anyone know when Texarkana started playing football?

anyone care to break out the microfilm?

Microfilm? I think you need the pony express messenger service.

LuckyGiraffe

Root66... did you mean 1907 and 1908 in your post?

Root66

Quote from: hawgfan923 on May 05, 2009, 04:11:24 pm
Root66... did you mean 1907 and 1908 in your post?

Coitenly. I'll go change it. Thanks

hoginator

Quote from: Root66 on May 05, 2009, 11:12:48 am
Again...you are wrong. Not only are you wrong...but you are not correct. And the high school in Texarkana was not the original Razorbacks...which was your original contention.
Dude. Check your facts. I never said anything about Texarkana. Have a nice life...

hoginator

Quote from: Root66 on May 05, 2009, 03:59:38 pm
As posted on Wikipedia by you and Hoginator?
Dude. Again, check your facts. I never posted anything from Wikipedia. My original contention was that the Cardinals was based on the color (one of the official school colors at the time)...

Root66

May 05, 2009, 05:17:11 pm #36 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:19:41 pm by Root66
Quote from: hoginator on May 05, 2009, 05:03:01 pm
Dude. Again, check your facts. I never posted anything from Wikipedia. My original contention was that the Cardinals was based on the color (one of the official school colors at the time)...

OK Dude guy. Let's change it to Bassinhawg. ;)

hoginator

I want out of this soap opera! How did I get involved in this mess? Dude... 8)

Root66

Quote from: hoginator on May 05, 2009, 05:48:47 pm
I want out of this soap opera! How did I get involved in this mess? Dude... 8)

You volunteered.

BassinHawg

Quote from: Root66 on May 05, 2009, 05:17:11 pm
OK Dude guy. Let's change it to Bassinhawg. ;)

WTH?

I just said Texarkana, not necessarily Ark High School, was the original Razorbacks because organizations in Texarkana were some of the first in Arkansas to use the Razorback mascot.

From http://www.hogalumni.com/memories/pig_stye/pig_stye.html:

The earliest records in Razorback history is dated back to 1895. Arkansas High was reported to have strong teams in the "Gay Ninties". The much-feted Porker captains were Allen Winham and Jean Cook. Both of these gentleman can probably recall those days of pioneer football.
    The happy year of 1895 also saw the organization of the Razorback "T Club" which was known as the "THB Club" (Texarkana High Boys Club). Those were the good old days.
    Experts on football history can probably recall some of those "Rule-Less" games which were the highlights of the Ninties. The Razorback predecessors must have had grit, because that is one thing Buhrman Field has never missed.
Razorback News (May 28, 1942)

I think that 1895 came before 1910.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

hoginator

Root66

Quote from: hoginator on May 06, 2009, 10:51:30 am
Sure is dark in here...

You're correct. That is the darkest, deadest link in this entire thread.

Root66

Quote from: BassinHawg on May 06, 2009, 01:14:32 am
WTH?

I just said Texarkana, not necessarily Ark High School, was the original Razorbacks because organizations in Texarkana were some of the first in Arkansas to use the Razorback mascot.

From http://www.hogalumni.com/memories/pig_stye/pig_stye.html:

The earliest records in Razorback history is dated back to 1895. Arkansas High was reported to have strong teams in the "Gay Ninties". The much-feted Porker captains were Allen Winham and Jean Cook. Both of these gentleman can probably recall those days of pioneer football.
    The happy year of 1895 also saw the organization of the Razorback "T Club" which was known as the "THB Club" (Texarkana High Boys Club). Those were the good old days.
    Experts on football history can probably recall some of those "Rule-Less" games which were the highlights of the Ninties. The Razorback predecessors must have had grit, because that is one thing Buhrman Field has never missed.
Razorback News (May 28, 1942)

I think that 1895 came before 1910.

Hey, I think you are correct. But 1895 also came before 1899 which was the VERY FIRST YEAR for ARKANSAS HIGH SCHOOL. And here is the first graduating class at AHS.

And here are all the grads between 1899 and 1910 listing about 30 boys altogether. That would average about 2 to 3 boys in every class. That must have been a powerhouse football team in 1895 BEFORE THE SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED. And here is the link...Your dates and student body just do not bear out the claims you make.

Sorry.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txkusa/Cemeteries/arkgrad1911bk.htm

THE TEXARKANA ARKANSAS HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1899

GRADUATES of 1899

LaRue Jean Cook

Cleo Augusta Gale

Carrie Scott Webber

Lillie Belle Webb

Alma Blackwell

Pearle Spearman

Lucy Alice Maxwell *

Bertie Stegall

Jessie B. Matson

Gypsie Hamilton

Lelia Hamilton

GRADUATES of 1900

Zella Weaver

Annie Bedingfield

Florence E. Bennett

GRADUATES of 1901

Mannie Harden

Fred Evins Kelley

Leila Hart

Grace E. Preston *

Herbert M. Hays

Grace Cook

Juliette J. Sevier

Linnie Belle Webber

Lucile White

GRADUATES of 1902

Mamie Matson

Charlotte Scherer

Monnie Shuptrine

Jeannette Johnston

Carolyn Hutcheonson

Anna Mae Priest

Nona Burgess *

Cora Ingram

Bessie Cella

Deupree Friedell

GRADUATES of 1903

Flippin Cook

Rosa Locaster*

Gracia Thornton

Pet Davis

Cleve Ingram

Jessie Scott

Bessie DeLay

GRADUATES of 1904

Leta Bride Cook

William Howard Beasley

Lewis Alexander Paulk

William Roy Stephens

Agnes Donaldson Williams

Ernest Fleet Cook

Catherine Lee Holmes

Eddie Laverne Lingold

Paul Bedingfield

Claude Harold Shepherd

Joseph Wilson Taylor

GRADUATES of 1905

Nellie Bedingfield

Fay Isabelle Booth

Elizabeth Bryant *

Verna Edwards

Allie Johnston

Myrtle Belle Kelley *

Mary Cecilia O'Dwyer

Myra B. Simms

James Earl Hawkins

James L. Lumpkin

Valrie Stewart Booker

Katherine Brannon

Sadie Rae Dillard

Addie Hartley

Ella Mae Kelley

Clara E. McIntire

Edith Simpson

Eugenia Moose Giles

George A. Hays, Jr.

Albert H. Little

Thos. Edward Webber, Jr.

GRADUATES of 1906

Benjamin Stanley Cook

James Daniel Cook, Jr.

Joseph Edward Cook, Jr.

Robert Glen Cook

Harry Malcolm Dunham

Jimlee Wilder Wyche

May Little

Joseph McIntire

Marie Lucile McKneely

Hallula Trigg

Maggie W. Trigg

Winona Warmoth

GRADUATES of 1907

Gertrude Elizabeth Symonds

Pearl Call

Carrie Sarah Wilson

Florence Irene Braden

Lawrence Hamilton Byrne

Lottie Lee Lennard

Posy Trippett

Allie Elizabeth Eckles

Lucy Arnold

Francis Miller Edwards

Rodney Taylor Williams

GRADUATES of 1908

Frances E. Malcolm

Elizabeth Webber

Elizabeth Wilburn

Ester Marie Thompson

Daniel Lawrence Hardin

Edna Brown

Lennie Ruth Mullins

Sadie B. Bell

Felix Marshall Barksdale

William Merritt Johnson

GRADUATES of 1909

Lucil Babb

Edmond Fleming Burk

Lulia Alexander Byrne

Luline Amelia Fortune

Mildred Hull Fuqua

Howard Earl Godbold

Jessie Harkness

Maud Moore

John Christopher O'Dwyer

Anne Clopton Schluter

Eva Mae Scott

Clarabel Scott

GRADUATES of 1910

Layman Brown

Lillian Burk

Ray Pinson

Marguerite Whitmarsh

Rollin Rodgers

Anna Clara Atkinson

Ruth Brown

Beth Boyce

Phillis Lyall

Beatrice Sims

Lea Lacofske

Winnie Kniffin

Ruth Moore

James C. Cook

*Deceased by 1911

Submitted by Betty Meador Sharp

Steamboats

They were known as the Cardinals, not the Cardinal. The pennant is authentic. My dad let the U of A keep it in their museum for about two years before having it returned. There have been callers and emails wanting to purchase the pennant along with other old Razorback history. I also have the team photo, with all players identified on the 1909 team. The U of A is not in possession of a Cardinals pennant and to our knowledge no one else is either. My grandfather played right end on the 1909 Cardinals along with the 1910 Razorbacks. Since the name was changed maybe he was the only one to think to get the pennant, maybe no one else cared 100 years ago.
Here is some more history on the name change and how it was done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks

Lanny

ha!

When you watch the Razorbacks take the field and look at the hog on the helmet.  Root66 is the one that created the first Razorback
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy