Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Current Hogs that will be Drafted Someday

Started by The_Iceman, April 27, 2009, 02:33:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

April 27, 2009, 02:33:40 pm Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:46:34 pm by The_Iceman
With all the draft stuff and spring practice over, I was wondering who you guys think will one day be drafted. Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

Malcolm Sheppard (6'3" 280)
NFL Position: DE
Breakdown: with many teams switching to a 3-4 defense, a big DE like Malcolm would fit in perfectly with many teams. There are not many knocks on this guy. With a successful season I see him flying up the boards.
Prediction: Late 1st to Early 2nd round pick.

Kenny Hawgins

just a few....

dj williams- 2nd-3rd
joe adams- late 1st-2nd
jarius wright- 2nd-3rd
ryan mallett- 1st
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

SRFL

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 27, 2009, 02:40:22 pm
just a few....

dj williams- 2nd-3rd
joe adams- late 1st-2nd
jarius wright- 2nd-3rd
ryan mallett- 1st

Might be a little high on the WR's. 

Seeing OU's main guys drafted where they were may be a good gauge.

Iglesias, Juaquin   WR   6'1"   210   Oklahoma   Pick 35, Round 3 (99)   Bears

Johnson, Manuel   WR   5'11"   189   Oklahoma   Pick 20, Round 7 (229)   Cowboys

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: SRFL on April 27, 2009, 02:47:57 pm

Johnson, Manuel   WR   5'11"   189   Oklahoma   Pick 20, Round 7 (229)   Cowboys
you may be right.  it's just hard to get a feeling because it could go either way.  i think i may be a little higher on wright than i should.  i think adams should go 1st round assuming no injuries.  he reminds me of jeremy maclin.

one guy i'm curious to see how he develops in gragg at t.e.  if he can put on the weight and learn how to block, he could be a 1st day pick.  also, i'm wondering about our running backs.  i think we have a few guys coming in with the potential to be drafted assuming things go well....
oden
leon
winston
gordon
davis

The_Iceman

Gragg reminds me alot of Travis Beckham from Wisconsin who was drafted by NYG.

Gragg might even be faster.

Porkerpower

I would guess that Cobi Hamilton would be NFL type.  DD Jones has that kind of potiential too.

And, WHEN Michael Dyer finishes his 3 years at Fayetteville, he'll be a great pro.

SemperHawg

jj202020

Gragg's dad is around 6'4" 320--muscle.  I'd be suprised if weight gain and strength will be a problem for much longer.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: jj202020 on April 27, 2009, 04:53:09 pm
Gragg's dad is around 6'4" 320--muscle.  I'd be suprised if weight gain and strength will be a problem for much longer.

holy hell! that sounds like Coach Briscoe from UCA haha.

IronHog

Returning players

Likely NFL:

Mallett
Wilson
Adams
Wright
Williams
Franklin

Depends on Development

Stradther
Childs
Bequette
Petrus
Hall
Freeman
Sheppard
Smith

This Razorback team will have more POTENTIAL NFL talent than any in history.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Love4daHogs on April 27, 2009, 07:50:37 pm
6'4" 320 is fat , no matter how you slice it.
ronnie coleman was 5'10, 300 lbs in his prime.  i'd like to see you call him fat.

hawgfan4life

Seriously!  Are people on here really predicting NFL futures for players that have yet to take a snap in college and haven't even played their senior year of H.S.?  Mallet is already a First Round draft choice?  Smith is a 3rd round draft choice as a RB when he hasn't completed a single year of college healthy?

I like that AR fans love their players and we should be homers to our own players.  However, there is being a homer and then there is being so over the top it is absurd.  There are Heisman trophy winners that do not get drafted and make the NFL and we are going to put a H.S. player in the NFL already!  Man I hope these guys live up to the expectations!

Hawg-U

Exactly which Heisman trophy winner wasn't drafted?

yraciv

Hogbody

want2be

I think Adams would have had a better chance of making it in the NFL as a dback  instead of a receiver.

SPAL

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 27, 2009, 08:06:12 pm
ronnie coleman was 5'10, 300 lbs in his prime.  i'd like to see you call him fat.

just another bit of unsubstantiated and negative crap that proves his agenda from love4

HOGSWEAT

Quote from: yraciv on April 28, 2009, 01:26:04 am
Jason White

Not to mention this year's 3rd place finisher Grahm Harrell.

Don't be suprised if Tebow doesn't get drafted either, but the media would through fits if he didn't.

SemperHawg

Quote from: want2be on April 28, 2009, 11:54:51 am

I think Adams would have had a better chance of making it in the NFL as a dback  instead of a receiver.

London Crawford might have more NFL potential as a safety also.  It worked for Wilson up at Buffalo.

PigWig

Quote from: SemperHawg on April 28, 2009, 12:34:52 pm
London Crawford might have more NFL potential as a safety also.  It worked for Wilson up at Buffalo.
London wouldn't even be a 2nd string safety next year at Arkansas, there's no way he'll be drafted as one in the NFL.

yraciv

Quote from: AR Taco04 on April 28, 2009, 12:25:52 pm
Not to mention this year's 3rd place finisher Grahm Harrell.

Don't be suprised if Tebow doesn't get drafted either, but the media would through fits if he didn't.

No way Tebow doesn't get drafted.  Teams will have him run the wildcat and be an h back if he doesn't cut it at QB.  He is a completely different mold than the Harrell/White type QB.

SemperHawg

Quote from: PigWig on April 28, 2009, 12:44:12 pm
London wouldn't even be a 2nd string safety next year at Arkansas, there's no way he'll be drafted as one in the NFL.
Was Wilson drafted as one, or did he catch on somewhere and play his way into the position?

olivebranchhog

Quote from: SemperHawg on April 28, 2009, 12:50:09 pm
Was Wilson drafted as one, or did he catch on somewhere and play his way into the position?

Drafted as a WR...moved to Safety after showing great tackling skills on kick off's.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

FSguy38

Quote from: SRFL on April 27, 2009, 02:47:57 pm

I think Adams and Wright have a chance to be higher picks than both Iglesias and Johnson. Iglesias lacks the speed to stretch the field and Johnson has never been the same since he suffered a serious elbow injury, which prevented either from being taken higher.
Of course, its also effected by what other WR come out when they do and team needs.

FSguy38

Quote from: yraciv on April 28, 2009, 12:47:20 pm
No way Tebow doesn't get drafted.  Teams will have him run the wildcat and be an h back if he doesn't cut it at QB.  He is a completely different mold than the Harrell/White type QB.

I agree. I'd think he'll be a fourth or fifth round guy, where a team can afford to take a player without a true position coming out of college.

IronHog

Quote from: olivebranchhog on April 28, 2009, 12:54:43 pm
..moved to Safety after showing great tackling skills on Matt Jones' runs vs Auburn in '03.

Fixed it

Hogdomer

Quote from: yraciv on April 28, 2009, 12:47:20 pm

Pat White just got drafted in the second round.  Tebow is more comparable to him than to Jason White.

PigWig

Quote from: Hogdomer on April 28, 2009, 01:06:42 pm
Pat White just got drafted in the second round.  Tebow is more comparable to him than to Jason White.
Pat White got drafted because he can run a 4.5 40.

Tebow is going to be looked at mainly as a TE, H-back, or FB unless Al Davis wants him as QB with another top 5 pick (sarcasm).

Hogdomer

Quote from: Hawg-U on April 28, 2009, 01:16:23 am
Exactly which Heisman trophy winner wasn't drafted?

Charlie Ward (unless you count the NBA draft). 

The others were drafted but many (if not most in the last 30 or so years) have been bad/mediocre in the NFL, e.g., Gino Torretta, Chris Weinke, Troy Smith, Eric Crouch, Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, Danny Wuerffel, Rashaan Salaam, Ron Dayne, etc.

Hogdomer

Quote from: IronHog on April 27, 2009, 08:03:22 pm
Returning players

Likely NFL:

Mallett
Wilson
Adams
Wright
Williams
Franklin

Depends on Development

Stradther
Childs
Bequette
Petrus
Hall
Freeman
Sheppard
Smith

This Razorback team will have more POTENTIAL NFL talent than any in history.

I don't think this year's team will stack up with 2006:

Drafted, playing and/or played in NFL:
Jamaal Anderson
Chris Houston
Keith Jackson, Jr.
Darius Vinnett
Tony Ugoh
Felix Jones
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Luigs
Marcus Monk
Nate Garner
Marcus Harrison
Peyton Hillis

Not to mention Damian Williams will probably be a first round pick and he was on that team.  Mitch Mustain, Micheal Smith and maybe Mitch Petrus also have a chance of playing in the NFL.

The 2003 team had alot of NFL talent too.  From memory, all of the following spent at least some time on NFL rosters: George Wilson, Matt Jones, Shawn Andrews, Caleb Miller, Batman Carroll, Bo Lacy, Jeb Huckeba, Eddie Jackson, Jason Peters, Richard Smith.

MJ2

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: PigWig on April 28, 2009, 01:11:32 pm
Pat White got drafted because he can run a 4.5 40.

Tebow is going to be looked at mainly as a TE, H-back, or FB unless Al Davis wants him as QB with another top 5 pick (sarcasm).

Tebow will be a 2nd rounder next year. He has a good arm and can run. If he runs a 4.6 and shows next year that he can make throws he might be a late 1st rounder. He is a proven winner and doesn't back down from a challenge (which Kiffin and Tenn will find out next year after his comments). His team has a great chance of winning another NC (3 in 4 years) and will be the only QB that can say that. He may be in the perfect system for him, but the boy has talent.
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

athunt

Quote from: want2be on April 28, 2009, 11:54:51 am

This! Also, im going to make a prediction, hold me to it. If, IF London Crawford gets drafted, it will be by the Oakland Raiders. Hes all airport and all program team, but you have to be able to catch the ball CONSISTENTLY to make it to the league.

Still say we should have moved him to safety.....could you imagine if we had Darren and London as our safties?
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: athunt on April 29, 2009, 07:43:38 pm
This! Also, im going to make a prediction, hold me to it. If, IF London Crawford gets drafted, it will be by the Oakland Raiders. Hes all airport and all program team, but you have to be able to catch the ball CONSISTENTLY to make it to the league.

Still say we should have moved him to safety.....could you imagine if we had Darren and London as our safties?

Really?

Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

wildhogman

Quote from: Love4daHogs on April 27, 2009, 07:50:37 pm
6'4" 320 is fat , no matter how you slice it.
That all depends. My brother was in the air force for over 20 years. The first 5 years he was constantly on the fat boy program at 5'7 200 lbs. His weight would fluctuate up to 210 at times. They finally switch weight measure to percentage of body fat and not just wieght alone, and wouldnt you know it. My brother was 5'7 205lbs with less then 10% body fat. All the wieght loss programs they had him on kept him in great shape and didnt allow any fat.

athunt

Quote from: LM RZRBCK 29 on April 29, 2009, 09:59:24 pm
Really?

Not so much McFadden, the main reason he came here is cuz we wanted him to play RB, everybody else wanted him at safety(Houston finally got one right).  But I will quote my dear friend Lee Corso, "The receivers who cant catch, well we stick them on defense". We could have had our own Taylor Mayes.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

FSguy38

Quote from: LM RZRBCK 29 on April 29, 2009, 04:54:18 pm

Tebow will be a 2nd rounder next year. He has a good arm and can run. If he runs a 4.6 and shows next year that he can make throws he might be a late 1st rounder. He is a proven winner and doesn't back down from a challenge (which Kiffin and Tenn will find out next year after his comments). His team has a great chance of winning another NC (3 in 4 years) and will be the only QB that can say that. He may be in the perfect system for him, but the boy has talent.

No way Tebow is a first round pick, unless he changes positions his SR year and becomes all world. I think 2nd round is even a stretch.
He's a great college QB, playing in a college system that exploits his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses, but in the NFL, no one runs an offense thats going to mask those shortcomings.

hvsupastar

wasnt jason white like a 2nd round pick by the titans? then retired
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

yraciv

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 29, 2009, 10:46:17 pm

no he went undrafted

FSguy38

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 29, 2009, 10:46:17 pm

Undrafted FA; teams knew his knees were shot.

old hog

Quote from: athunt on April 29, 2009, 10:17:30 pm
Not so much McFadden, the main reason he came here is cuz we wanted him to play RB, everybody else wanted him at safety(Houston finally got one right).  But I will quote my dear friend Lee Corso, "The receivers who cant catch, well we stick them on defense". We could have had our own Taylor Mayes.
You sir, do not know what you are talking about. Darren would have come to Arkansas regardless of what position he was recruited for. Heck, he would have played DE if it got him on the field. His dream was to be a Razorback, plain and simple. It was nuttless good fortune to be head coach at that time.

ballhog71

Jason White spent the summer with the dolphins then had a big dramatic press conf announcing his retirement! He should have never had the trophy anyway!   WPS!

athunt

Quote from: old hog on April 30, 2009, 06:55:40 am
   You sir, do not know what you are talking about. Darren would have come to Arkansas regardless of what position he was recruited for. Heck, he would have played DE if it got him on the field. His dream was to be a Razorback, plain and simple. It was nuttless good fortune to be head coach at that time.

You sir, are blinded by your homerness. There is a reason Darren was listed as an "athlete".  Im from Maumelle, which doesnt have a high school but it might as well be Oak Grove. I was very familiar with Darrens recruiting process.
-Reggie Johnson

IronHog

Quote from: Hogdomer on April 28, 2009, 01:29:57 pm
I don't think this year's team will stack up with 2006:

Drafted, playing and/or played in NFL:
Jamaal Anderson
Chris Houston
Keith Jackson, Jr.
Darius Vinnett
Tony Ugoh
Felix Jones
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Luigs
Marcus Monk
Nate Garner
Marcus Harrison
Peyton Hillis

Not to mention Damian Williams will probably be a first round pick and he was on that team.  Mitch Mustain, Micheal Smith and maybe Mitch Petrus also have a chance of playing in the NFL.

The 2003 team had alot of NFL talent too.  From memory, all of the following spent at least some time on NFL rosters: George Wilson, Matt Jones, Shawn Andrews, Caleb Miller, Batman Carroll, Bo Lacy, Jeb Huckeba, Eddie Jackson, Jason Peters, Richard Smith.

I only listed returning players.

I'd say several of the recruiting class have a nice shot at the NFL with al little luck and development.

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: Love4daHogs on April 30, 2009, 08:56:07 pm
London would make a HORRIBLE safety. Safeties have to be willing to come up and hit someone, I think he COULD play corner, but not safety.

As for DMac, he was headed for greatness at safety or runningback.

He COULD not play CB. Too big to make the turns and rotate his hips. I hope London does well this year and finally shows off his talent.

mj4president

MM's stock has dropped drastically. Hurts have PC put him 3rd string behind a freshman. Doesn't look good. He still may get late 2nd day. Which many qb's have turned out well late in the draft while many high picks have been flops but can't look good being 3rd string and after these next two football seasons not taking a snap that mattered since being at Arkansas.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: mj4president on April 30, 2009, 11:41:26 pm
MM's stock has dropped drastically. Hurts have PC put him 3rd string behind a freshman. Doesn't look good. He still may get late 2nd day. Which many qb's have turned out well late in the draft while many high picks have been flops but can't look good being 3rd string and after these next two football seasons not taking a snap that mattered since being at Arkansas.

An NFL level QB would not have to sit the bench through 3 different QB's. MM is like Shane Battier. Amazing for a team that doesn't have anyone else at his position, but he is just a bench player for a top team. Doesn't make him a bad player, he just isnt a great one.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Throwback1

Can't coach speed....Curtis will get his shot.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

yraciv

Quote from: olivebranchhog on May 02, 2009, 01:16:58 pm
An NFL level QB would not have to sit the bench through 3 different QB's. MM is like Shane Battier. Amazing for a team that doesn't have anyone else at his position, but he is just a bench player for a top team. Doesn't make him a bad player, he just isnt a great one.

I agree with the first part of this, but don't understand the Shane Battier comparison.  Battier was a star player in college.  Battier has been one of the best defenders in the NBA year in and out.  Battier has started 497/618 games in his career.  He knocks down shots at 45% when needed, 10 ppg, but is a defensive specialist.  He starts on a team that is in the 2nd round of the playoffs, so I'm pretty sure he could start on most NBA teams. Also, bench players don't make team USA.  Comparing football and basketball players doesn't make much sense in the first place, but this comparison was ridiculous.

Throwback1

Quote from: Love4daHogs on May 03, 2009, 11:06:18 am
if he doesn't learn to hang onto the ball he'll be buried on OUR depth chart, let alone never get an NFL shot.
I thought that was a given?  I think he'll figure it out.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD