Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I agree with Stewie....ya'll are underestimating the skills of Julysses Nobles

Started by Hoggy Bear, April 21, 2009, 10:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy Bear

He is a very good late season pickup for the HOGS.  He had a good weekend at the Big River Classic AAU tourney in Mississippi and coaches that know him are raving about his defensive skills.

Those of you holding his offer sheet of Georgia St and UAB against him will change your mind next year.

Coondog Hog

What kept Mizzou, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss,and Miss State from going after him.  Was he once an academic risk or something?

I hope he is great, but when you look at his legit offer sheet folks have a right to scratch their heads a little dont you think?
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

chiefsfan

Quote from: Coondog Hog on April 21, 2009, 10:34:26 pm
What kept Mizzou, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss,and Miss State from going after him.  Was he once an academic risk or something?

I hope he is great, but when you look at his legit offer sheet folks have a right to scratch their heads a little dont you think?

he's one of those late bloomers that dont really pick up play till their senior season, too late for the early signing period
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ruarealhogfan

Personally, I don't see what these guys problem is with the Nobles signing.  Saw someone in another thread talking about how AJ led his team to a state title, well guess what, so did this guy. The kid led his team (20+ ppg, 6+ apg, 5 rpg & 3+ steals per game) to the 4A State Title as well as the Mississippi Overall Title.  I'm all for taking the home state guys if they have the talent, which Walton & Gulley did, but for whatever reason they chose not to be ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS.  That said Pel did a helluva job signing Nobles this late in the game. 

10thPlanet

Hoggy Bear

Quote from: Coondog Hog on April 21, 2009, 10:34:26 pm

I think a couple of reasons.  He made it clear early on that he would not sign in the early signing period.  As you well know, most basketball players will sign during that early period so schools will move on to other prospects unless you are a high major prospect like a John Wall or Lance Stephenson.

Secondly, Nobles blossomed this year.  He didn't score much until this year because he played with LaQuinton Ross (who is regarded as the #1 player in the country for 2010) and Deville Smith (regarded as a top 10 guard for 2011) and did not break out until Ross transferred.  Until then Nobles was mainly a defensive stopper because he was not expected to score.  That alone will kill your ratings for those of you on the boards who are hung up on star ratings on Rivals or Scout.   Not many 4-star guards are gonna avg 10 pts or less going into their sr. year.   So it's no surprise he will not be ranked very highly.

In all fairness to Nobles, he did have schollie offers to Baylor, Florida St, and Iowa in addition to the UAB, Georgia St. and Wichita St. offers.   Rod Barnes has been recruiting Nobles the longest, so that is why Nobles final 2 included Georgia St. 

Ole Miss and Miss St. (signed Shaunnesy Smith) both currently return 9 guards on their roster each so it's no surprise they didn't recruit Nobles.  It's not a need for either school.  In contrast, Arkansas has 4 guards on the roster that played any significant minutes at all last yr.

LSU already signed Aaron Dotson from the West Coast, Texas signed Avery Bradley, etc etc.   So sometimes, recruiting offers are misleading.  No one is claiming that Nobles is a Top 100 prospect.  But don't let the "oh we beat out Georgia St for him so he must not be any good" argument cloud your judgement of him.  He fits a need desparately needed on this team, defensive pressure.  And judging from this senior year and AAU ball this yr, he can play a little offense too.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on April 21, 2009, 11:28:04 pm
I think a couple of reasons.  He made it clear early on that he would not sign in the early signing period.  As you well know, most basketball players will sign during that early period so schools will move on to other prospects unless you are a high major prospect like a John Wall or Lance Stephenson.

Secondly, Nobles blossomed this year.  He didn't score much until this year because he played with LaQuinton Ross (who is regarded as the #1 player in the country for 2010) and Deville Smith (regarded as a top 10 guard for 2011) and did not break out until Ross transferred.  Until then Nobles was mainly a defensive stopper because he was not expected to score.  That alone will kill your ratings for those of you on the boards who are hung up on star ratings on Rivals or Scout.   Not many 4-star guards are gonna avg 10 pts or less going into their sr. year.   So it's no surprise he will not be ranked very highly.

In all fairness to Nobles, he did have schollie offers to Baylor, Florida St, and Iowa in addition to the UAB, Georgia St. and Wichita St. offers.   Rod Barnes has been recruiting Nobles the longest, so that is why Nobles final 2 included Georgia St. 

Ole Miss and Miss St. (signed Shaunnesy Smith) both currently return 9 guards on their roster each so it's no surprise they didn't recruit Nobles.  It's not a need for either school.  In contrast, Arkansas has 4 guards on the roster that played any significant minutes at all last yr.

LSU already signed Aaron Dotson from the West Coast, Texas signed Avery Bradley, etc etc.   So sometimes, recruiting offers are misleading.  No one is claiming that Nobles is a Top 100 prospect.  But don't let the "oh we beat out Georgia St for him so he must not be any good" argument cloud your judgement of him.  He fits a need desparately needed on this team, defensive pressure.  And judging from this senior year and AAU ball this yr, he can play a little offense too.

Thank You
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Swine & Cheese Club

Secondly, Nobles blossomed this year.  He didn't score much until this year because he played with LaQuinton Ross (who is regarded as the #1 player in the country for 2010) and Deville Smith (regarded as a top 10 guard for 2011) and did not break out until Ross transferred.  Until then Nobles was mainly a defensive stopper because he was not expected to score.  That alone will kill your ratings for those of you on the boards who are hung up on star ratings on Rivals or Scout.   Not many 4-star guards are gonna avg 10 pts or less going into their sr. year.   So it's no surprise he will not be ranked very highly.

In all fairness to Nobles, he did have schollie offers to Baylor, Florida St, and Iowa in addition to the UAB, Georgia St. and Wichita St. offers.   Rod Barnes has been recruiting Nobles the longest, so that is why Nobles final 2 included Georgia St. 

LSU already signed Aaron Dotson from the West Coast, Texas signed Avery Bradley, etc etc.   So sometimes, recruiting offers are misleading.  No one is claiming that Nobles is a Top 100 prospect.  But don't let the "oh we beat out Georgia St for him so he must not be any good" argument cloud your judgement of him.  He fits a need desparately needed on this team, defensive pressure.  And judging from this senior year and AAU ball this yr, he can play a little offense too.

Great breakdown.  Thanks Hoggy Bear!

blunt_hawg

Yeah....can't we at least let the kid get on campus and play a few games before deciding that he sucks???

Judging a player by his offer sheet is about as shallow as judging a player strictly on his star rating.  Some players just fall through the cracks in the system...

Razorod

Plus, as of right now, he doesn't even have to be a starter. all he has to do is provide minutes to give fortson some rest each half.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jacksonhawg

If we had judged Patrick Beverly by his offer sheet we would have wrote him off too. I don't remember any specifics, but I'm sure many people DID judge Beverly by his offer sheet. Was it Toledo he was committed to before he came to UA?

Nobles reminds me of Brandon Dean with better ball-handling skills.

Marshfieldhog

jackflash

Wasn't he runner up to Mr Basketball in Mississippi. To me at least that means he can play some ball.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 22, 2009, 06:58:53 am
Beverly was also offered by michigan

Late in the process though. Same time frame as us battling Tennessee for Ramar Smith. Both players didn't last long at where they landed.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The Hogfather

I posted this back before we had signed him.  I can't find the link for it, but it's on the internets somewhere.

QuoteJulysses Nobles
Callaway, 6-0, Senior
19.7 points | 6.1 assists | 5.0 rebounds

No player in Mississippi enjoyed more success this season than the hard-nosed Nobles, who led the Chargers (33-6) to the Class 4A and MHSAA Grand Slam championships and the No. 1 ranking in The Clarion-Ledger Super 10.

Primarily a ballhandler and defensive stopper during his sophomore season at Piney Woods, Nobles steadily expanded his game during his two years at Callaway. Nobles dropped seven 3-pointers in the first half against Vicksburg, scored 37 against Canton and had 30 points in a regular season victory over 4A runner-up Forest Hill. He also excelled at getting to the rim or kicking it to the open man for a 3-point look.

"Ju's always been one of the best on-ball defenders I've coached, but he's really made himself into a basketball player with the hard work he's put in at the gym," Callaway coach Wayne Brent said. "He was just a tough guy who liked to compete in the beginning. I've never coached a player who made such a big jump offensively in such a short period of time. Ju was a guy who did it on both ends of the court ? and he enjoyed doing it."

Greatest thrill: "Just being successful. I'm glad I was able to lead my team to the state championship and the Grand Slam championship."

Most impressive player: Andre Stringer, Forest Hill. "He was taking 3-pointers from anywhere ? and making them."

Favorite NBA player: LeBron James

College choice: Arkansas, Georgia State, Tulane or UAB.

Tomhog™

I will remain cautiously optimistic about Julysses.  Hopefully he can develop into a solid backup and allow Pelphrey room to more demostratively discipline Fortson if he continues the transgressions from his freshman year.  I don't see him turning in Patrick Beverley-type performances on a nightly basis, though.

litmachog

When you talk about late bloomers and low offers, I offer you up just one name.  Scottie Pippin.  True, he grew several inches after he got to campus and he was a differnt type of player, but this goes to show you that you can't just take them at "face value" (scholorship offers).  I remember we had several recruits by Nolan that had the same types of offers and I remember questioning them but was very happy we had them when they came on campus.

I'm looking forward to see a great defensive player that can also play all areas of the game.  We all have to admit that we need a shut down defensive player and he can do this plus much much more.  Come on Nobles, show us what you got.  I can't wait!!

311Hog

My worry isnt if Nobles will be a good player for us, my worry is that the atmosphere of the UofA might poison him.

I mean i have wondered this for a bit, mainly because it seems like some of the kids have a "problem" when they get on campus.

Look at PBev for example he appeared like a hard nosed player that could even be called a "momma's boy" but in a good way you know.  And once he got to campus it was a huge boost of "attitude" and less then ideal behavior. And now look where he is, and Pbev isnt the first player this has happened to, i mean look at C. Fortson so much "show time" and attitude i dont remember that being his game or him when we saw recruiting vids' etc it was about the work ethic and the team.

I am just curious do players come into our program with character/attitude question marks or do they acquire them once they get to campus.

or maybe it could just be how our world is now, when players get to campus they lose their minds.

heathtits

I don't think anyone is necessarily "doubting" Nobles ability so much as they're doubting him being a solid fill for our other current needs, especially with the assumption that Moore, Henry and Washington could possibly leave. I always felt Britt would develop into a decent enough backup to Fortson anyway.

People want our 6'4-6-7' sizing or lack there of issue addressed. To compete nowadays you need a few of these long athletic guys, who can at least D up, even if the offensive skill set isn't quite there.

But from what Porkatarian is predicting, we should be good to go in that department. Hope the cards fall our way come NSD.

heathtits

Quote from: 311Hog on April 22, 2009, 01:13:21 pm
or maybe it could just be how our world is now, when players get to campus they lose their minds.

This. Basketball players are WAY more face and name recognized than any other athletes even football players besides say Mallett or Dmac or Felix.

I bet you 50-70% of our current campus couldn't pick Adams, Wright or Davis out of a group of 25 other players with the same football gear on.

I think that's just the way it is, and we'd be foolish to think we're the only campus that has big headed basketball players.

tbhogfan

Quote from: heathtits on April 22, 2009, 01:55:37 pm
I don't think anyone is necessarily "doubting" Nobles ability so much as they're doubting him being a solid fill for our other current needs, especially with the assumption that Moore, Henry and Washington could possibly leave. I always felt Britt would develop into a decent enough backup to Fortson anyway.

People want our 6'4-6-7' sizing or lack there of issue addressed. To compete nowadays you need a few of these long athletic guys, who can at least D up, even if the offensive skill set isn't quite there.

But from what Porkatarian is predicting, we should be good to go in that department. Hope the cards fall our way come NSD.

Thank you for saving me some keystrokes.  My thoughts exactly.
Go Hogs!

The Hogfather

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 22, 2009, 04:05:14 pm
Thank you for saving me some keystrokes.  My thoughts exactly.

Nobles can play the 1 or the 2.  Thus, he can provide good depth at the guard spotS.  If need be, when Fortson needs a rest, Nobles can run the point, instead of employing Welsh (a SG) there.  Not to mention the facts that he can shoot the 3 (something we were missing last year) and play perimeter defense, despite his smallish stature (something else we were missing last year).

Nobles is a big need.

JYH

Quote from: Tomhog™ on April 22, 2009, 12:20:12 pm
I will remain cautiously optimistic about Julysses.  Hopefully he can develop into a solid backup and allow Pelphrey room to more demostratively discipline Fortson if he continues the transgressions from his freshman year.  I don't see him turning in Patrick Beverley-type performances on a nightly basis, though.

In all fairness you probably didn't see Beverly doing that before he got here either.

GHG.

rude1

Yeah because we are so much smarter and better than the two major conference D1 programs that are in his home state who didn't recruit him. We know talent better than they do. Don't let the fact we went 0-4 against them this season fool you.

Please stop the spin. There is a reason MState and OlePiss didn't go after this kid in their back yard hard. It is ridiculous to think he wasn't recruited because they had enough guards. If they thought the kid had high D1 talent they would have signed him. Not bashing the kid and hope he turns out to be better than expected, but the reality is he is a sleeper/project type of player.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rude1 on April 22, 2009, 07:41:57 pm
Yeah because we are so much smarter and better than the two major conference D1 programs that are in his home state who didn't recruit him. We know talent better than they do. Don't let the fact we went 0-4 against them this season fool you.

Please stop the spin. There is a reason MState and OlePiss didn't go after this kid in their back yard hard. It is ridiculous to think he wasn't recruited because they had enough guards. If they thought the kid had high D1 talent they would have signed him. Not bashing the kid and hope he turns out to be better than expected, but the reality is he is a sleeper/project type of player.

You need a hug in the worst way.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hoggy Bear

Did I say he had "high D1 talent"?  Read more post less.

rude1

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on April 22, 2009, 08:08:43 pm
Did I say he had "high D1 talent"?  Read more post less.
And when did I say you said that?  Maybe you should take your own advice, because at no point did I say anything about you saying he had high D1 talent. Maybe you should comprehend what you read before posting a reply.

The Hogfather

Since you ignore the obvious and factual:

Secondly, Nobles blossomed this year.  He didn't score much until this year because he played with LaQuinton Ross (who is regarded as the #1 player in the country for 2010) and Deville Smith (regarded as a top 10 guard for 2011) and did not break out until Ross transferred.  Until then Nobles was mainly a defensive stopper because he was not expected to score.  That alone will kill your ratings for those of you on the boards who are hung up on star ratings on Rivals or Scout.   Not many 4-star guards are gonna avg 10 pts or less going into their sr. year.   So it's no surprise he will not be ranked very highly.

In all fairness to Nobles, he did have schollie offers to Baylor, Florida St, and Iowa in addition to the UAB, Georgia St. and Wichita St. offers.   Rod Barnes has been recruiting Nobles the longest, so that is why Nobles final 2 included Georgia St. 

LSU already signed Aaron Dotson from the West Coast, Texas signed Avery Bradley, etc etc.   So sometimes, recruiting offers are misleading.  No one is claiming that Nobles is a Top 100 prospect.  But don't let the "oh we beat out Georgia St for him so he must not be any good" argument cloud your judgement of him.  He fits a need desparately needed on this team, defensive pressure.  And judging from this senior year and AAU ball this yr, he can play a little offense too.

9 GUARDS APIECE!

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2009, 09:37:39 pm
Since you ignore the obvious and factual:

9 GUARDS APIECE!
That doesn't matter. If a kid can play at a high level and he is in your back yard, you take him. For neither team to take him, that signals to me, they don't believe he is as good as the ninth guard in their current rotation, otherwise they would take him. So basically we out gunned Georgia State for a guard who our competitors don't believe is as good as the ninth one they have in their rotation. Not a good thing. All the spin in the world won't change who we beat out for him, and that his home state schools weren't interested.

Hoggy Bear

Quote from: rude1 on April 22, 2009, 10:56:24 pm
That doesn't matter. If a kid can play at a high level and he is in your back yard, you take him. For neither team to take him, that signals to me, they don't believe he is as good as the ninth guard in their current rotation, otherwise they would take him. So basically we out gunned Georgia State for a guard who our competitors don't believe is as good as the ninth one they have in their rotation. Not a good thing. All the spin in the world won't change who we beat out for him, and that his home state schools weren't interested.

Then I guess we shouldnt have gone after Jeremy Adams either...since Ole Miss and Miss St. didn't go after him.

Arkansas offered 5 point guards.  Ole Miss and Miss St offered 3 total between the 2 schools....and all 3 offers were by Miss St.  Ole Miss didn't offer any point guards.  If that doesn't show you that PG wasn't a need, then I don't know what does.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rude1 on April 22, 2009, 10:56:24 pm

Just make sure you come back here next year, when he is much better than you think he is.  I won't be holding my breath.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on April 22, 2009, 11:17:39 pm
Then I guess we shouldnt have gone after Jeremy Adams either...since Ole Miss and Miss St. didn't go after him.

Arkansas offered 5 point guards.  Ole Miss and Miss St offered 3 total between the 2 schools....and all 3 offers were by Miss St.  Ole Miss didn't offer any point guards.  If that doesn't show you that PG wasn't a need, then I don't know what does.

Ole Miss has one player signed for next year's class, a 6'8" SF.

Pork Twain

I like how the debbie downers want to say we beat out Georgia St.  They want to leave off Baylor, Florida State, Tulane, Georgia St., Jacksonville St., Wichita St. and UAB.  Apparently several schools saw something there and a couple of them are pretty good.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

heathtits

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 23, 2009, 12:52:13 am
I like how the debbie downers want to say we beat out Georgia St.  They want to leave off Baylor, Florida State, Tulane, Georgia St., Jacksonville St., Wichita St. and UAB.  Apparently several schools saw something there and a couple of them are pretty good.

I'm not down on Nobles by any means, but none of those schools really help your point honestly.

It is going to take a lot to swing a lot of these major downers. I was one for a while, but Pelphrey appears to be clearing up some of the off the court stuff (which was my main concern all along) and picking solid, possibly unrecognized talent to replace them. I believe that will make a much more solid foundation for our program, even if Pel doesn't make it past next year.

Many fans won't be happy until we are recruiting at an elite level again, which is by all means understandable, but they obviously won't be happy for quite some time, so I'm doing the best to take the high road myself and see the positives with many of these guys. I hope others find the courage to do the same. 2-14 had me quite bitter, especially during the season, but its nothing more than water under the bridge at this point, hopefully more will start to see it this way.

Huds_HawgTide

when it comes to bball recruiting just take a deep breathe and wait and see approach...there are only twelve spots on roster compared to 85...one good school may only have one or two schollies to offer for that yr. anyway...so there are always alot of diamonds in the ruff...i have a good feeling for next yr...better all around...really wish nobles were like 6-4 and wish bryant and powell were closer to 6-10. but oh well...you see we had good players this yr but with this class i think we are adding what you need for the sec...athletes
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2009, 11:19:26 pm
Just make sure you come back here next year, when he is much better than you think he is.  I won't be holding my breath.
Look, I am not rooting against the kid. I hope the kid turns out the be the starter because he is so good. But the reality is, he was evaluated by most to not be of a high D1 caliber talent, that is why he wasn't getting major D1 offers. We need game changers and this kid shouldn't be expected to be that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: rude1 on April 23, 2009, 05:58:40 am
Look, I am not rooting against the kid. I hope the kid turns out the be the starter because he is so good. But the reality is, he was evaluated by most to not be of a high D1 caliber talent, that is why he wasn't getting major D1 offers. We need game changers and this kid shouldn't be expected to be that.
Who do you know that evaluated him?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HoopS

The Hogfather

Quote from: rude1 on April 23, 2009, 05:58:40 am

That is just not true.

Either way, I know you aren't going to budge.  And, I sure am not.

This kid is going to contribute a great deal to our basketball program and it will start in his freshman year.

I know you aren't rooting against him, I just think you are wrong about his talent level.

Quote from: HoopS on April 23, 2009, 07:22:41 am
If Pel had 9 guards and signed him, what would you say?

Exactly.  Miss State and Ole Miss had their fill of guards.  Most other schools already have their classes filled up by now.  Nobles is getting better and better, with each passing year, because he is working hard in the offseasons to do so.  He is the epitome of a late blooming "diamond in the rough".  I know everyone hates that term, mainly because Nutt said it about everyone he signed.  But, in Nobles case, it describes him perfectly.

This post describes perfectly why he was/is considered a "late bloomer" or a "diamond in the rough":

But, I know you want to contest every word contained in the quote because it doesn't fit your agenda.

I'm just glad to have Julysses on our team.  I think he'll be a very good player for us.

Kevin

when did arkansas ever recruit on the elite level nationally?
name the best players in arkansas history, most if  were from arkansas or surrounding states

brewer-fort smith, fayetteville, ron and jr.
williamson-russellville
beck-memphis
thurmon-lousiana
moncreif-little rock
delph-conway
robertson-ohio
kleine-missouri
mayberry-ok
miller-texas
day-memphis
walker-chicago
johnson-little rock

it is a myth that we recruiting big time nationally

nobles is the type of player we have won big with.  i guess ole miss should not have taken those guards out of little rock a couple of years ago ( i think chris warren was one) because we didn't offer.  he just kicked our butts every time we played them.

the hatred for pel and staff has no bounds.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Kevin on April 23, 2009, 08:52:55 am
name the best players in arkansas history, most if  were from arkansas or surrounding states

williamson-russellville
beck-memphis
thurmon-lousiana
moncreif-little rock
delph-conway
robertson-ohio
kleine-missouri
mayberry-ok
miller-texas
day-memphis
walker-chicago
johnson-little rock

nobles is the type of player we have won big with.  i guess ole miss should not have taken those guards out of little rock a couple of years ago ( i think chris warren was one) because we didn't offer.  he just kicked our butts every time we played them.

I hope we can add Nobles to the list of great Hogs,  but Pel has not shown the eye for talent or coaching ability that Nolan, or dare I even say it Stan Heath had yet.  The onus is on Pel to change the fans perception of his work and eye for talent.  To believe fans should just folow without question, well we are just now starting to recover from that in football
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Kevin

all i am saying is every move he make some people find a way to turn it negative.

plus, we have never had a national recruiting presence, some people think we should walk into the top 5 players living room and have a chance.  i know this, this staff aleast makes a call to those players.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Hogfather

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Coondog Hog on April 23, 2009, 09:55:17 am
I hope we can add Nobles to the list of great Hogs,  but Pel has not shown the eye for talent or coaching ability that Nolan, or dare I even say it Stan Heath had yet.  The onus is on Pel to change the fans perception of his work and eye for talent.  To believe fans should just folow without question, well we are just now starting to recover from that in football

How have you guys figured out already that he has no eye for talent?  His first "real" class has played 1 year of College ball.  1 of them, Fortson, who was rated the #60 recruit by Rivals & didn't make Scout or Espn's top 100, was named 3rd team All-Freshman in the NCAA to go with 1st team All-Freshman SEC.  That puts him as one of the Top 15 young players in the nation, as far as the rest of our guys go, we will see, but you cant judge a college players career solely on their Freshman year...

heathtits

Quote from: Kevin on April 23, 2009, 08:52:55 am

williamson-russellville
beck-memphis
thurmon-lousiana
moncreif-little rock
delph-conway
robertson-ohio
kleine-missouri
mayberry-ok
miller-texas
day-memphis
walker-chicago
johnson-little rock

Darnell Robinson, Andre iguodala and most of the 1996 #1 recruiting class were from all over. Although none ever amounted to be "great" hogs, they were still rated very highly and were "national" recruits.

Kareem Reid was a Mcdees All American from Brooklyn. Derek Hood was from Illinois.

For a while there, Nolan could basically pick and choose who he wanted. And he had most of the elite South talent locked up. I will agree with your point that we were fortunate to land lots of talent close by, but why go national when you don't have to?

Haven't you ever seen He Got Game? "Hello Mr. Shuddlesworth, I'm Coach Nolan Richardson and I'd like you to play for the Razorbacks."

The Hogfather

Quote from: heathtits on April 23, 2009, 12:33:16 pm
Darnell Robinson, Andre iguodala and most of the 1996 #1 recruiting class were from all over. Although none ever amounted to be "great" hogs, they were still rated very highly and were "national" recruits.

Kareem Reid was a Mcdees All American from Brooklyn. Derek Hood was from Illinois.

For a while there, Nolan could basically pick and choose who he wanted. And he had most of the elite South talent locked up. I will agree with your point that we were fortunate to land lots of talent close by, but why go national when you don't have to?

Haven't you ever seen He Got Game? "Hello Mr. Shuddlesworth, I'm Coach Nolan Richardson and I'd like you to play for the Razorbacks."

Yes, he could recruit from all over after he won a National Championship.  Until then, it was local or regional talent, and for sure, not very highly rated (for the most part).

heathtits

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 23, 2009, 12:35:26 pm
Yes, he could recruit from all over after he won a National Championship.  Until then, it was local or regional talent, and for sure, not very highly rated (for the most part).

You are right, but he said "when did Arkansas ever recruit at an elite level nationally?"