Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA "Quizzing" UA Basketball

Started by Razorod, March 15, 2009, 06:33:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Wholehog sports this morning. Seems they're wondering where our program went as well? :D

Seriously, the NCAA has sent in a letter and Long's response is in the paper. Funneling money to "handlers"--AAU guys with elite prospects in Mississippi. Not that it's done us any good.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

MrKnowItAll

March 15, 2009, 06:40:24 am #1 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:42:28 am by itbm1
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/254986
The enforcement staff's requests included copies of phone records for the men's coaching staff, a list of all prospects from Mississippi recruited by Arkansas since March 2008, copies of contacts and evaluations, copies of expense reports submitted by the coaching staff for travel to the Jackson, Miss., area between Sept. 9, 2008, and Oct. 5, 2008, a list of scouting service subscriptions, a list of all men's basketball camps conducted in the summers of 2007 and 2008 and the names of all individuals who were employed to work or speak at those camps.

Hogbody

Could be something, could be nothing

Hope it's nothing

rude1

The news just keeps getting better by the day. Even if there is nothing to it, the mere fact that the NCAA is looking into something is enough for the competition to use it against us when recruiting. With a staff that is already struggling with recruiting, they can ill afford to have this drawn out for any length of time.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

OneLardAlmighty

Just for shucks, what's the difference between being 'quizzed' and being 'investigated'?

Razorod

NCAA is asking questions, just want to get information. If they find anything, it will lead to an investigation.

Not what Pel needs at all.

rude1

Long says there have been no allegations. But clearly if you read the article it says the letter said, "the staff may have engaged in recruiting violations".  How laughable is this, to be accused of recruiting violations at a time when the staff is being slammed for its inability to recruit?

edt

The last nail in the coffin? The Final straw? The tipping point? The fat lady no longer clearing her throat, but breaking into full song? 

Marshfieldhog

Good grief..fire pel and let's start over..enough of amature hour.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Razorod on March 15, 2009, 07:23:12 am
NCAA is asking questions, just want to get information. If they find anything, it will lead to an investigation.

Not what Pel needs at all.

Isn't an 'investigation' something you do before you 'find anything'; otherwise, if you knew there were improprieties, why would you need an investigation? 

They've asked for phone records, recruit evaluations, expense reports, travel records, subscription services, and lord knows what else--everything, it seems, short of collective colonoscopies from our coaching staff. 

What request do they have to make that they aren't making now for this to become an investigation?  "Turn your head and cough?"

Razorod

I think it is a precursor to an investigation.

Let's see:

Pel's coming off a 2-15 conference season
Long didn't hire Pel
Program is being "quizzed" under the suspicion "that the men's basketball coaching staff may have engaged in recruiting violations involving prospective studentathlete(s) in Mississippi."

What do you think?

hoghearted

What, exactly, brought on this kind of scrutiny? Our stellar record?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Marshfieldhog

As much as I would like Pel to be gone, it's a joke they are looking at us and not U. of FEDEX over at Memphis.

WilsonHog

March 15, 2009, 08:17:47 am #14 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:37:15 am by WilsonHog
And the hits just keep on comin.'

Jeffcphog

Why just Mississippi recruits?  By the way, is the NCAA through with their "investigation" of USC and Bush?
I may just be paranoid, but why the SEC and not Memphis or some of the other programs?

Razorod

it probably involves an AAU coach and a couple of future recruits.

LA HAWG

I have always held the belief that if you are going to cheat you might as well get something out of it.  I want national titles if we are going to be dirty.  Not freak 2-15 in conference. 

Amateur hour indeed.

The letter is dated mid December, so its not like this is news in the athletic dept.

Razorod

yes, but if Long is looking for an excuse to fire Pel, this may be it.

hogfan x

Ostrum's ties to AAU sounds like bad news in many ways.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

Granny fan

I say Nutt is behind this!  LOL   ;)

bwbcpa

Quote from: Karma on March 15, 2009, 08:30:01 am
The letter is dated mid December, so its not like this is news in the athletic dept.

This could explain why there wasn't a lot of noise with the NCAA over the Monk deal. (?)

Porkatarian

My prediction is that Isaac Brown will get thrown under the bus for this.  We can't afford to fire "one of the top 5 asst coaches in the country", after a 2 - 15 record in SEC play....SARCASM

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

WilsonHog

I really wouldn't worry too much about this whole NCAA deal fellas.

Why, that was probably just a form letter that got sent out to a couple hundred schools.

Besides, it's common knowledge that those NCAA folks are a bunch of oafs who rarely find anything when they come nosing around. 

East Clintwood

Quote"There are indications Arkansas was not singled out by the NCAA for this review."
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Buck Brewer

Wasn't it rumored that we had been linked to a notorious handler torward the end of Jeremy Adams recruitment and that actually turned off the family.

Dwight_K_Shrute

It could be much like the Albert Means scandal.  Didn't the NCAA basically talk to every school that recruited means or had contact with his coach? 

Not saying it is or isn't like that but if an AAU guy was shopping kids around then the NCAA would contact every school that recruited these kids to determine a level of involvement or to substantiate claims even if they were not against that school.

But since article contained the word Mississippi I will blame a certain jack a$$ that coaches a state school over there for stirring this $hit up.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

COCHISE

Quote from: itbm1 on March 15, 2009, 06:40:24 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/254986
The enforcement staff's requests included copies of phone records for the men's coaching staff, a list of all prospects from Mississippi recruited by Arkansas since March 2008, copies of contacts and evaluations, copies of expense reports submitted by the coaching staff for travel to the Jackson, Miss., area between Sept. 9, 2008, and Oct. 5, 2008, a list of scouting service subscriptions, a list of all men's basketball camps conducted in the summers of 2007 and 2008 and the names of all individuals who were employed to work or speak at those camps.
We should just send them a copy of our record from this year.  After looking over that it should obvious to the NCAA that we haven't cheated at recruiting.

Lanny

I hope they find nothing wrong.  How embarrassing if the NCAA finds Arkansas was guilty for cheating yet finish 2-14 in conference play .   Arkansas should at least fire Ostrom
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Alt-F4

If found guilty of even a "minor" infraction then it is time to jettison the entire lot of them.  Pelfrey et al.
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

HogBreath

Maybe we should just let Ostrom fight the NCAA investigator.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ntubjr

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorod on March 15, 2009, 06:33:02 am
Wholehog sports this morning. Seems they're wondering where our program went as well? :D

Seriously, the NCAA has sent in a letter and Long's response is in the paper. Funneling money to "handlers"--AAU guys with elite prospects in Mississippi. Not that it's done us any good.
For the love of god and the sake of this program. fire Pel and Ostrom today. this is the last straw. cut our losses with these people now.i heard rumors that Ostrom was dirty.get out of this mess now Jeff long.

thirtythree

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2009, 11:40:40 am
For the love of god and the sake of this program. fire Pel and Ostrom today. this is the last straw. cut our losses with these people now.i heard rumors that Ostrom was dirty.get out of this mess now Jeff long.

What a shame to fire someone because someone said something about them. I thought you were at your last straw the other day. I am surprised you still have room on the straw to take anymore. I guess it must be one of those Route 44 straws.

Nevermind fair hearings and a chance to defend themselves or anything. Just up and fire them so they can also have a suit against the univsersity. Yeah, that's it, let's just all jump to conclusions.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorod on March 15, 2009, 08:08:11 am
I think it is a precursor to an investigation.

Let's see:

Pel's coming off a 2-15 conference season
Long didn't hire Pel
Program is being "quizzed" under the suspicion "that the men's basketball coaching staff may have engaged in recruiting violations involving prospective studentathlete(s) in Mississippi."

What do you think?
I think it's time to fire Pel. i just woke up to this nightmare.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Lanny on March 15, 2009, 11:25:39 am
I hope they find nothing wrong.  How embarrassing if the NCAA finds Arkansas was guilty for cheating yet finish 2-14 in conference play .   Arkansas should at least fire Ostrom
Bingo Lanny. our recruiting has been flatout pitiful. whoever we cheated for in MS never came here.a 2 and 15 sec record, and cheating with it, this thing is worse than i thought.

thirtythree

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2009, 11:54:02 am
Bingo Lanny. our recruiting has been flatout pitiful. whoever we cheated for in MS never came here.a 2 and 15 sec record, and cheating with it, this thing is worse than i thought.

Broken Record.  :puke:

forrest city joe

March 15, 2009, 12:00:56 pm #38 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:03:59 pm by forrest city joe
Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 11:57:25 am
Broken Record.  :puke:
But true record.Pel is not worth the trouble after going 2 and 14 with the Ncaa looking at us.

The Boar War

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on March 15, 2009, 07:21:28 am
Just for shucks, what's the difference between being 'quizzed' and being 'investigated'?

Nothing except the way they're spelled.

Joe, the letter is 4 months old and we aren't accused of wrongdoing. That's not a reason to fire someone today.

edt

If one single shread of this is true, Long has no choice, Pel's gone.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Karma on March 15, 2009, 12:03:17 pm
Joe, the letter is 4 months old and we aren't accused of wrongdoing. That's not a reason to fire someone today.
You know from reading my post the last two weeks that this is not the only reason i want to fire them. it's only one of many reasons. this is just the latest.

TrueBlue

In reference to the items that they are requesting, and if this was a Law Suit in any Court in the Country this would be called Discovery and Interrogatories.

I sure wished the last lawsuit I was in that I could have said that I wasn't getting actually sued, I was being "quizzed".

Whether it is just for us or not, you can be guranteed it will be used against us in recruiting. Like Pel needs another reason not to get the quality recruits....

Newhopehog

I heard a rumer that walmart clerks were double ringing some items....Let's fire all walmart clerks worldwide....makes about as much sense as calling for pels head over this until the facts are known....the big scream for firing huston nutt was that he didn't do things the right way.....well he didn't and now you want to jump in the boat with him.....lol

Marshfieldhog

If Pel leads us to an NCAA investigation after the poor recruiting, off court drama, his buddy Ostrum fighting a player, worst record EVER in SEC play..he should be fired on the spot whether it be next week or this summer.

lovetthog1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 11:45:15 am
What a shame to fire someone because someone said something about them. I thought you were at your last straw the other day. I am surprised you still have room on the straw to take anymore. I guess it must be one of those Route 44 straws.

Nevermind fair hearings and a chance to defend themselves or anything. Just up and fire them so they can also have a suit against the univsersity. Yeah, that's it, let's just all jump to conclusions.

Yeap and OJ was framed.

Jeffcphog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 15, 2009, 12:52:29 pm
If Pel leads us to an NCAA investigation after the poor recruiting, off court drama, his buddy Ostrum fighting a player, worst record EVER in SEC play..he should be fired on the spot whether it be next week or this summer.

Which player did you see Ostrum fighting with?  Just curious.  I have read rumors, but I want to hear from an eye witness what exactly happened.  So, tell me.

thirtythree

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2009, 12:06:29 pm
You know from reading my post the last two weeks that this is not the only reason i want to fire them. it's only one of many reasons. this is just the latest.

We know. We know. There seems to be something new every day. I guess if he wakesup in ht emorning that will be the next reason. ???