Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry indefinately suspended.

Started by Karma, March 10, 2009, 04:41:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasTraveller

March 10, 2009, 05:54:24 pm #50 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:05:48 pm by TheArkansasTraveller
Quote from: forrest city joe on March 10, 2009, 04:51:03 pm
I kept my word and have not posted on this forum for almost 3 days. trying to get control of myself and let things calm down. i get off work and get online here on hogville and i get this crap. how in the world is any coach going to be able to recruit, when everytime you look up the coach is having to suspend a player. it's one thing after the other. what kind of people has Pel recruited to this program?this crap has gotten very old. i hope Jeff long will fix this in the next few days. and everyone knows what my fix would be.

Talk about getting old.  Your tired old line of firing coaches was neat-o 10 dead horses ago.  Get an original thought for once.

HogBreath

Quote from: UAfan on March 10, 2009, 04:54:41 pm
You my friend don't get it, do you.  Coaches recruit players with character and they also recruit players with talent.  They take a risk when they take a suspect recruit , and hope to make a difference in a kids life.  In no way, shape or form is this Pel's fault.  Period.  If anything Pel is doing this kid a favor with all the chances he's gotten.
Right, this in no way is Pel's fault.

Neither was Payne

Neither was McDonald

And neither was Beverley, if Heath hadn't been such a wimp, PBev woulda been long gone anyway.  It's all Heath's fault.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Oliver

Quote from: FSHog67 on March 10, 2009, 05:52:34 pm
Anyone want to go back and check the responses of many of these nay sayers when we were 12-1.
It would be interesting.  With a team that had zero starters coming back from the previous year, oh and our leading scorer from the previous year had an scored less than 5 pts. a game.  Boy we should have won the conference or at least -- oh well , we should know what to expect from supporters that are great when we win -- and thats my two cents worth.

I'd rather go back and check the pre-season responses of all the people who are now justifying a 2-14 conference record and multiple off the court problems.

stan the man

Coach Pel knew Henry's background before he committed.  He was trouble looking for a place to happen.  Loosing probably magnified the problem but some guys can not behave no matter what.  I can't ever remember Sutton or Richardson putting up with this much crap from any one player.  I believe they would have given them an ultimatum to either straighten up or be gone.
None of this multiple suspensions.  One and done.

The Boar War

Quote from: FSHog67 on March 10, 2009, 05:52:34 pm
Anyone want to go back and check the responses of many of these nay sayers when we were 12-1.
It would be interesting.  With a team that had zero starters coming back from the previous year, oh and our leading scorer from the previous year had an scored less than 5 pts. a game.  Boy we should have won the conference or at least -- oh well , we should know what to expect from supporters that are great when we win -- and thats my two cents worth.

The pulse of the fanbase will reflect the win/loss percentage of the team.  It isn't exactly rocket science.  Did you really expect fans to be singing Pelphrey's praises after a 2-14 conference season? 

I would also like to think we're beyond calling into question everyone's fanhood.  If you're on a hog message board and concerned/ excited about the coaching I'm going to assume you're a fan.

thirtythree

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 05:55:49 pm
I'd rather go back and check the pre-season responses of all the people who are now justifying a 2-14 conference record and multiple off the court problems.

I don't think anyone is justifying a 2-14 record. It has more to do with giving JP more time to get "his" players in here to run "his" style. I don't justify it, but I'm also not calling for his head.

Earl

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on March 10, 2009, 05:54:24 pm
Talk about getting old.  You tired old line of firing coaches was neat-o 10 dead horses ago.  Get an original thought for once.

He will, when he hears one from a mod,

Oliver

Quote from: thirtythree on March 10, 2009, 05:59:32 pm
I don't think anyone is justifying a 2-14 record. It has more to do with giving JP more time to get "his" players in here to run "his" style. I don't justify it, but I'm also not calling for his head.

You mean the chance to recruit a class where half the recruits aren't problematic.  Well if he wants any kind of a future here at Arkansas, he best get to doing just that right now.

BigHog396

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 05:39:23 pm
So let's see we have...

1.  Courtney Fortson suspended indefinitely (although it turned out to be one game).
2.  Jason Henry suspended indefinitely (who knows what this will really mean).
3.  Montrell McDonald kicked off the team.
4.  Daniel Payne never making it to campus.

And this is just the things we all KNOW about.
Do you understand absolutely nothing about recruiting?  You don't just jump into a new position and get kids clamoring to sign up overnight.  It starts much earlier these days, with a good number of the top Sophomores and Juniors already being pretty well set on where they are going.

Pelphrey jumped in and landed a Top 15 class, but had to take some chances to get there.  He landed a Top 10 PG, the #21 SG, the #21 SF, one of the top JUCOs in the nation, and a number of role players.  What else could you possibly expect?  Did you really expect that all of the guys would come in and act like they are in Sunday school?  Did you really think that none of them could possibly be academic risks?

It is going to take some time to rebuild what we lost.  There are going to be road bumps along the way.  Not every player is going to make it into school academically.  Not every player is going to be an angel when he gets to school.  Not every player is going to stay out of legal trouble.  Those things are nothing new, have always happened, and are definitely going to happen when you are taking the chances that have to be taken to rebuild a program from square one.

HamminItUp

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 10, 2009, 05:47:46 pm
I love it with the " all our coach can get" type of quotes. How much trouble has Rotnei, or Sanchez, or Washington, or some of the others been into? You guys are pathetic, if lost out on these same recruits you would want to run him out of town, now he brings them in thinking or hoping the kid loves basketball enough to stay out of trouble and walk the line, and guess what, some do some don't, some love themselves more then they love playing time, but you don't find that out until you get them here.
     He should let some of you guys interview each prospect then you can tell him which ones not to go after, since you can see the future so well.
     We had a coach in another sport without a backbone, remember him?

Washington was not brought in by Pel so your point is invalid there. Same can be said with Sanchez since he is from NWA and was primarily recruited by Stan Heath.

The problem is we took several chances on guys and have lost both ways with almost all of them (wins and attitudes). We are 2-14 and have off the court issues every week AFTER one player never made it to campus and another was already kicked off.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 10, 2009, 04:51:03 pm
I kept my word and have not posted on this forum for almost 3 days. trying to get control of myself and let things calm down. i get off work and get online here on hogville and i get this crap. how in the world is any coach going to be able to recruit, when everytime you look up the coach is having to suspend a player. it's one thing after the other. what kind of people has Pel recruited to this program?this crap has gotten very old. i hope Jeff long will fix this in the next few days. and everyone knows what my fix would be.

Two weeks ago, I disagreed with you.  Today, I agree 100%.  It's obvious Pel has no control over the team or his coaches.  After the stunt on the court Sunday and the stunt today.  It's time to cut our loss and get someone else.  Pel may be a great guy and I wish him well but I wish him well somewhere else.  Even, in the past, when we had bad seasons the coach still had control.  This coach has none.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

HogBreath

Quote from: The Boar War on March 10, 2009, 05:58:40 pm
The pulse of the fanbase will reflect the win/loss percentage of the team.  It isn't exactly rocket science.  Did you really expect fans to be singing Pelphrey's praises after a 2-14 conference season? 

I would also like to think we're beyond calling into question everyone's fanhood.  If you're on a hog message board and concerned/ excited about the coaching I'm going to assume you're a fan.
No, only those who think 2-14 is a fine record are fans.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hoggy1

Pelphrey is inching closer to catching the big boot right out of the front door....

This team is full of individuals.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Oliver

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:07:20 pm
Do you understand absolutely nothing about recruiting?  You don't just jump into a new position and get kids clamoring to sign up overnight.  It starts much earlier these days, with a good number of the top Sophomores and Juniors already being pretty well set on where they are going.

Pelphrey jumped in and landed a Top 15 class, but had to take some chances to get there.  He landed a Top 10 PG, the #21 SG, the #21 SF, one of the top JUCOs in the nation, and a number of role players.  What else could you possibly expect?  Did you really expect that all of the guys would come in and act like they are in Sunday school?  Did you really think that none of them could possibly be academic risks?

It is going to take some time to rebuild what we lost.  There are going to be road bumps along the way.  Not every player is going to make it into school academically.  Not every player is going to be an angel when he gets to school.  Not every player is going to stay out of legal trouble.  Those things are nothing new, have always happened, and are definitely going to happen when you are taking the chances that have to be taken to rebuild a program from square one.

It is possible to bring in big time recruits that aren't total disasters off the court.  Slip ups occasionally happen but this year has been anything but a few slip ups.  It's been an on-going process through much of the season.  I'm not going to lower my standards to excuse this kind of behavior especially if it's continual which it has been. 

BigHog396

Quote from: stan the man on March 10, 2009, 05:57:27 pm
Coach Pel knew Henry's background before he committed.  He was trouble looking for a place to happen.  Loosing probably magnified the problem but some guys can not behave no matter what.  I can't ever remember Sutton or Richardson putting up with this much crap from any one player.  I believe they would have given them an ultimatum to either straighten up or be gone.

You weren't around when Nolan was here then.  There were multiple big problem children while he was there.  Good try at revising history though.

arkansasmaniac

Quote from: AnthroHog on March 10, 2009, 04:53:41 pm
I noticed this post today, but no one commented on it.  Does it have something to do with why Henry was suspended?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=287929.msg4115264#msg4115264

I'm imagining so.  I meant to post this yesterday.  I walked into wal-mart to clock in last night and Jason Henry is sitting in the "naughty room".  This is the room where the cops talk to the kids that steal stuff.  I know what he stole, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post on here.

arkansasmaniac

Also, Cortney Fortson was with him and he paid for his stuff.
There was another guy with him, who I heard is a recruit...he did not make a purchase.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:12:39 pm
You weren't around when Nolan was here then.  There were multiple big problem children while he was there.  Good try at revising history though.

Sexual assault is not that big of a deal when your team goes to Denver and the final 4.
Good is the enemy of great

Oliver

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 10, 2009, 06:17:52 pm
Sexual assault is not that big of a deal when your team goes to Denver and the final 4.

What you say is true, sadly.  When you are a success, you are teflon.  Just ask the millions of superstars that get away with murder... literally.

That still doesn't make what is happening now okay.

Granny fan

Quote from: arkansasmaniac on March 10, 2009, 06:16:16 pm
I'm imagining so.  I meant to post this yesterday.  I walked into wal-mart to clock in last night and Jason Henry is sitting in the "naughty room".  This is the room where the cops talk to the kids that steal stuff.  I know what he stole, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post on here.

What in the world could you steal at Walmart that would be inappropriate to post here????

rzrbackrob

So was it pricey or like a bag of chips?

hogtheball

I can't ever remember ... Richardson putting up with this much crap from any one player.  I believe they would have given them an ultimatum to either straighten up or be gone.

from the new york times - '93

COREY BECK was suspended indefinitely yesterday by Arkansas Coach NOLAN RICHARDSON, a day after the Razorbacks' guard was arrested early Sunday for allegedly driving while intoxicated. Richardson said Beck, a 21-year-old sophomore, will not play against No. 2 Kentucky tomorrow night. Beck has started 15 of the Razorbacks' 19 games. (AP)

(sports illustrated)

Day's return marked the end of a rather hellish period for the Hogs, the nation's 16th-ranked team. He was one of seven players who missed all or part of the first two months of the season because of disciplinary suspensions, and although Arkansas was 10-2 during that time, it was obvious that the Hogs wouldn't be themselves until January. "Getting Todd back makes us complete," said center Oliver Miller. "It's been a long time coming."

It will take even longer for Day's scars to heal from what was a tense and hurtful time away from the court. It began last February when a 34-year-old woman alleged that Day and three teammates—forwards Darrell Hawkins, Elmer Martin and Roosevelt Wallace—raped her one night in an athletic dormitory. The four players admitted having sex with the woman, but each said it was with her consent. A police investigation found no evidence that a crime was committed, and no charges were filed, but the players were suspended from the team for a month. In June, Day's suspension was extended to two months when he and other classmates were found to have obtained the answers ahead of time to a biology test.

Your post was hilarious - Nolan put up with an unbelievable onslaught of "off-the-court" problems from players.  Can anybody even begin to remember how many players / suspensions Nolan had during his tenure?

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

BigHog396

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 10, 2009, 06:17:52 pm
My point exactly... but, stan the man seems to remember all of the alter boys that were playing for us before Pelphrey got here.  Seems we never had problems before this year.

The Truth

Total collapse on the court.

Total lack of discipline off the court.

Who is responsible for this disaster?
The Truth hurts.

board

No ring around the billfold for him, huh?

akp4105

Quote from: hogtheball on March 10, 2009, 06:25:03 pm
from the new york times - '93

COREY BECK was suspended indefinitely yesterday by Arkansas Coach NOLAN RICHARDSON, a day after the Razorbacks' guard was arrested early Sunday for allegedly driving while intoxicated. Richardson said Beck, a 21-year-old sophomore, will not play against No. 2 Kentucky tomorrow night. Beck has started 15 of the Razorbacks' 19 games. (AP)

(sports illustrated)

Day's return marked the end of a rather hellish period for the Hogs, the nation's 16th-ranked team. He was one of seven players who missed all or part of the first two months of the season because of disciplinary suspensions, and although Arkansas was 10-2 during that time, it was obvious that the Hogs wouldn't be themselves until January. "Getting Todd back makes us complete," said center Oliver Miller. "It's been a long time coming."

It will take even longer for Day's scars to heal from what was a tense and hurtful time away from the court. It began last February when a 34-year-old woman alleged that Day and three teammates—forwards Darrell Hawkins, Elmer Martin and Roosevelt Wallace—raped her one night in an athletic dormitory. The four players admitted having sex with the woman, but each said it was with her consent. A police investigation found no evidence that a crime was committed, and no charges were filed, but the players were suspended from the team for a month. In June, Day's suspension was extended to two months when he and other classmates were found to have obtained the answers ahead of time to a biology test.

Your post was hilarious - Nolan put up with an unbelievable onslaught of "off-the-court" problems from players.  Can anybody even begin to remember how many players / suspensions Nolan had during his tenure?

Which goes back to my point in my post on this thread.. WIN and most of these problems will go away or people wont care about them happening. That may be sad, and it may not be right.. but thats the way it is.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:29:42 pm
My point exactly... but, stan the man seems to remember all of the alter boys that were playing for us before Pelphrey got here.  Seems we never had problems before this year.

You should change your sig. to include Pelphrey....
We don't rent pigs

BigHog396

Quote from: wayne1958 on March 10, 2009, 06:36:53 pm
You should change your sig. to include Pelphrey....
We'll see about that.  I am not overly impressed at this point... BUT, I am realistic about what he walked into.  We had 10 scholarships to fill going into this season, you don't really need to know anything else if you know anything about college basketball.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:45:35 pm
We'll see about that.  I am not overly impressed at this point... BUT, I am realistic about what he walked into.  We had 10 scholarships to fill going into this season, you don't really need to know anything else if you know anything about college basketball.

Pelphrey was a White hire.......................   ;)

We don't rent pigs

BigHog396

Quote from: The Truth on March 10, 2009, 06:30:08 pm
Total collapse on the court.

Total lack of discipline off the court.

Who is responsible for this disaster?
What total collapse on the court?  The team was much more competetive toward the end of the season, with the exception of getting blown out at 'Bama.  We were getting killed to start the conference season, and anyone looking at the way we played toward the end of the season saw us at least in every game.

akp4105

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:52:18 pm
What total collapse on the court?  The team was much more competetive toward the end of the season, with the exception of getting blown out at 'Bama.  We were getting killed to start the conference season, and anyone looking at the way we played toward the end of the season saw us at least in every game.

We played a half of basketball in every game.. sometimes we'd play a whole 30 out of 40 minutes of a game.. other than that.. yeah we collapsed. Coaches yelling at players everytime down the floor and players talking back to coaches. If you improve throughout the season you should have some wins to show for it at the end of the year.. Last 10 games 1-9.. and that counts a game where Bud Walton was packed to see a halftime show.. not the sideshow.

The Boar War

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:52:18 pm

Even the most accepting of fans has to label this year's on court performance as a collapse.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 06:20:23 pm
What you say is true, sadly.  When you are a success, you are teflon.  Just ask the millions of superstars that get away with murder... literally.

Very true

rude1

If Henry leaves,  thats adding another nail to Pelphrey's coffin.  What happens if someone else bolts after the season?  A few more mishaps and the coffin will be nailed shut on this guy.  He has a weak recruiting class coming in as it is, and if he looses a player or two from this roster, you are looking at a carbon copy of this season for next season.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 10, 2009, 04:53:57 pm
That's the last straw for me. We need to start over somewhere in this program whether it be by ditching Pelphrey or kicking off every single player that can't get his head in the game. I would take another season like this one if it meant we had a solid foundation, free of headcases, that were willing to put in the time, go to class, and not show their butts. Apparently it's too much to ask for some of these guys to not act like 5 year olds.
I would agree that some on this team act like 5 year olds...however, one wonders whether its the coaches or players who are "acting out" the most...at some point, every middle manager becomes RESPONSIBLE for those he hires, because of the frequency of problems with underlings, upper management begins to believe its the middle manager and not the entry level employees who is the "lightning rod" causing all the problems....I think ARK HOOPS is at that point right now, is it the players ? or is it the coaches ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

BigHog396

Quote from: The Boar War on March 10, 2009, 06:57:18 pm
Even the most accepting of fans has to label this year's on court performance as a collapse.
No, some of us label it as rebuilding from stratch.  Do I think we should have won more games?  Absolutely.  But there was definite progress in the last number of games.  Probably had to do with Henry starting to get healthier, but you tend to play better when you have seven players to put on the court for decent minutes, rather than six.

board

Damn good sign for the program that Henry is getting healthy again then, huh?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 06:20:23 pm

So thats how OJ did it. . .with that many of him  he could be in a million places at once and still have deniablity! ;)

Just kidding you Oliver :)
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jamie72921

Quote from: Conway Hog on March 10, 2009, 05:13:03 pm
Nothing new here...

We have some of the best facilities in America!

We have some, if not, the best fans in America!

We have a head coach and a bench of assist. coaches

We have a group of new recruits (highly tauted) mostly all recruited by the same coaches..who have under performed after they had a miracle start to the season.  Then something happened, coach lost this team....WHY did this happen?

Last year and this there were more suspensions than I can remember...can anyone pass Pel's rules test

I am sick of players being kicked off the team, players leaving the program, players losing the heart to play the game! 

It is the coaching staff!  Something needs to happen now!!!!

We do not have the best fans in America.

We have a bunch of spoiled brats for a fanbase who have lost touch with reality.

Nolan told it like it was, he was the reason the Razorbacks had performed at a high level and so far, I have yet to see any reason to doubt it at this point.

Our fans deserve exactly the kind of team and program we have this season.
Bless your heart

hogsox

Sure glad that the fans back in the day did not want Nolan gone after his 2nd year! We may not have seen the 90's success we did!
" when you get hit on the white its a late hit which is a 15 yard penalty, but apparently in Florida they don't call it that way."  - Bobby Petrino

donewithdale

Quote from: The Boar War on March 10, 2009, 06:57:18 pm

Nope.  And I am not one that could be called 'accepting'.  As pointed out in another thread today, we cannot put out an SEC level starting 5.  We have two players who are probably legit SEC starters.  We have a total hole at the 4.  Our guards are small.  We have no legit 3.  Our only option there had knee surgery during the season.  There is a REASON(not an excuse) why this team was picked last and finished last.  No collapse. 

tusksincolorado

Maybe Ron Huery, Todd Day, and William Mills, and if I wasn't so old possibly a few others?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

donewithdale

Quote from: hogsox on March 10, 2009, 07:31:53 pm
Sure glad that the fans back in the day did not want Nolan gone after his 2nd year! We may not have seen the 90's success we did!

Yep.  It was great in year 2 of Nolan when much of our fan base was describing Nolan and his style they didn't understand with racial slurs and he was being torn apart and shots taken at him by our media when his daughter was dying. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hogsox on March 10, 2009, 07:31:53 pm

Believe me they did!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

board

Why would Pel lie about our fans?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 07:08:31 pm
No, some of us label it as rebuilding from stratch.  Do I think we should have won more games?  Absolutely.  But there was definite progress in the last number of games.  Probably had to do with Henry starting to get healthier, but you tend to play better when you have seven players to put on the court for decent minutes, rather than six.

Rebuilding is good but where is the control?  Who has control of the team?
We don't rent pigs

HawgnCorona

But please dont think our fan base is any worse that any other fanbase when it comes to issues they care about. We are simply a microcosm of America. We do live in an instant society where we want instant gratification, when we dont get we complain and we criticize(point fingers). Not saying that its right or wrong. I am simply saying that it is what we do. . .

HawgnCorona

Quote from: wayne1958 on March 10, 2009, 07:41:33 pm
Rebuilding is good but where is the control?  Who has control of the team?

Geez, I often wonder these very questions.

GBoling5000

Quote from: Hogger on March 10, 2009, 05:43:57 pm
Just more rebuilding pitfalls.  Give it time people.  Pelphrey's program is still in its infancy.  There is no established leadership among the players yet.  It is alot easier for a coach to keep his players in line when you have junior/senior leadership who have already bought into the system.  I feel for Coach Pelphrey.  From what I see, he is doing all he can with what he was dealt.  There is naturally going to be some weeding of the roster and as there already has been (McDonald).

Alot of people on this board are unjustifiably calling for Pelphrey's head.  To these people I say get your head out of your ass and support this team.   :razorback:

Bravo!  Pel needs at least another year (and we expect improvement next year).