Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which team would you like a fierce rivalry with?

Started by hawgsav1, February 05, 2009, 03:20:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which team would you want to have a strong and nasty rivalry with?

Alabama (SEC)
41 (12.1%)
Auburn (SEC)
1 (0.3%)
LSU (SEC)
138 (40.6%)
MSU (SEC)
2 (0.6%)
Ole Miss (SEC)
58 (17.1%)
South Carolina (SEC)
1 (0.3%)
Missouri (Big 12)
7 (2.1%)
Oklahoma (Big 12)
12 (3.5%)
Texas (Big 12)
46 (13.5%)
Texas A&M (Big 12)
15 (4.4%)
TCU (MWC)
6 (1.8%)
Other (Please Specify)
13 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 321

hawgsav1

February 05, 2009, 03:20:54 am Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:15:22 pm by hawgsav1
Considering the discussion of the LSU-Arkansas rivalry, I thought it would be interesting to see who Arkansas fans wanted to have a rivalry with.  I added some former SWC foes and current Big 12 members along with every SEC opponent we play every year (which is why teams like Vandy and Florida were not included since our scheduling would not allow us to play them every year).  I assumed that the rivalry games would be played every year either in a neutral location or in a home and home format. 

(NOTE: This is not a question asking who do you think is our current biggest rival, but rather who would you like to develop a rivalry with)
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

clifflee4mvp

90% of your replies will be Ole Miss. I like Texas and LSU as our rivals though
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

hogfan064

LSU without a doubt.  They don't have a true rival and neither do we. Plus they are a national power, Ole Miss isn't.  I'd much rather have a rivalry with a national power than a medioce program like Ole Miss.

Texas was great, but that rivalry is dead. Can't have a rivalry with someone that you only play twice a decade in football.  A&M should be a fun rivalry though, but I don't really hate the Aggies(right now)

VoR

February 05, 2009, 06:51:08 am #3 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:56:06 am by VoR
I choose Bama, LSU would be next choice.

For it to be a rivalry in the true sense it means the games must matter a fair amount of the time.

I guess truth be told the reason I didn't choose LSWho, is the rivalry there almost seems contrived or forced, between always being the last game of the season, and the boot trophy it's almost as if the powers that be thought if they slung enough feces against the barn wall, some of it would eventually have to stick.

EDIT: I actually saw this post after I finished this post.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=281976.0
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

dman

I have been following and loving the Hogs since the early 50s, I was raised to despise texas and I still do.  I think it is a rivalry with any of the SECW teams, lets go with lsu or al as a big rivalry.   Go Hogs Go  :razorback: :razorback:

Milton

I'm saying usc, it'll look good us giving them the only loss of the year, i mean after all its pretty distant between them and the rest of the pac 10
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

cdclark09

LSU or Bama...

It should be with a conference foe that we are fighting against for the west. 

And to everyone that voted Ole Miss... I hope someone slaps you today.  If we stoop so low that we have a rivalry with Ole Miss to fight for our 6th win of the year to get to go to a bowl game, I will be embarrassed to be a Hog fan and so should you.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Oh if someone told me we signed a deal to play Texas every single year that would be fine with me too.  It would be great to have an SEC rivalry and a Texas rivalry.

31to6

Other: Whichever SEC-E team we see in the CG!

WPS :)

codeHog

Lawyer ordered to pay attorney fees in Nutt e-mail case

I hate Ole Miss, always will

stronguard

I always liked what we had going with Tennis-E.  They're orange, they go by UT, and they get lucky breaks when they shouldn't.   I was pissed when the league removed tham as a permanent opponet. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

longtimeHogfan

I've got shoes older than most on this board, which may explain why I voted for the short-horned, puke orange (yuck, spit) tea-sips of Texass. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

clifflee4mvp

i am very surprised by this. a couple months back there was a very similar thread about who our biggest rival was and i said LSU followed by Texas, but the overwhelming response was Ole Miss. I prefer to think of them as the bottom of the SEC and merely a Mississippi team not worthy of a Rivalry with Arkansas.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

hawgsav1

I would like either Texas or LSU.  I think it'd be an achievement to force Texas to acknowledge us as a rival rather than an annoyance.  I think if we whup LSU a few more times, they'll start to hate us the way we hate them.

PorkSoda

February 05, 2009, 01:46:17 pm #13 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:53:54 pm by PorkSoda
My personal opinion is that LSU is our biggest rival.  That is the game I circle in a big red marker.  Closely followed by Texas.  Bama is also a big early season rivalry.  It usually sets the tone for the rest of the year. 

As far as developing a rivalry.  I have to say Ole Miss.  This is going to get fugly in the next few years.  Next I would say TAMU, since we are going to be playing them for at least the next 10 years

The other team I would love to see us at least play once in a while would be Florida State.  I've always liked the 'noles and I think it would be a good match up.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The Boar War

I want LSU to be a rival.  However it is packaged as mentioned in another thread.  Something personal is going to have to happen for this to become a rivalry.  They knocked us out of the BCS hunt in 2006.  We almost had them in 2007 when we beat them but they still got to the BCS title game. 

Maybe we should go high school and steal Mike the tiger.  Volunteers??????

SRFL

Nuclearhog

My other is Notre Dame.  Always overrated, always big media coverage, and always annoying. This would be a huge game, the Irish would be easy to hate.

East Clintwood

Texas

Tennessee, 2nd choice

LSU, 3rd choice

I don't get the people choosing Ole Miss.  Once Hootie is run out of Mississippi then Ole Miss goes back to being just another team.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hawgsav1

OneTuskOverTheLine™

February 05, 2009, 05:09:05 pm #19 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:17:57 pm by 4windshawg
I want to be hated by everyone. I want people to look at my big, red, razorback decked out truck with disgust when I roll it into any of the 48 drivable states I could get it. I want little children to cry when they here about Arkansas. I want them to hate us with a hatred that will make USC look like one of the 12 apostles. I want people to wonder who will be number 2 this year, because they already know ARKANSAS (WILL BE) #1.
I want to look down my nose at every other university, trade school, Vo-Tech or college that has the nerve to put ANY team on ANY playing surface or golf course and hope to even keep the score close. I want to see a million posers in each town that act like they're Arkansas fans just because they think it's cool to be a winner. I want recruiting season to be a joke when we have the following years signing class INKED two days after the previous years signing deadline, and to hear other teams brag that they got lucky when they picked up a stray 5* we could not fit into a slot...

So my vote was other... :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgsav1

Quote from: 4windshawg on February 05, 2009, 05:09:05 pm
I want to be hated by everyone. I want people to look at my big, red, razorback decked out truck with disgust when I roll it into any of the 48 drivable states I could get it. I want little children to cry when they here about Arkansas. I want them to hate us with a hatred that will make USC look like on of the 12 apostles. I want people to wonder who will be number 2 this year, because they already know ARKANSAS (WILL BE) #1.
I want to look down my nose at every other university, trade school, Vo-Tech or college that has the nerve to put ANY team on ANY playing surface or golf course and hope to even keep the score close. I want to see a million posers in each town that act like they're Arkansas fans just because they think it's cool to be a winner. I want recruiting season to be a joke when we have the following years signing class INKED two days after the previous years signing deadline, and to hear other teams brag that they got lucky when they picked up a stray 5* we could not fit into a slot...

I like the passion in your post.  +1

TexHog188

I didn't see Florida on the list.  I would love to meet Florida every year in the SEC CG!
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

cdclark09

hvsupastar

i think lsu is perfect. Neither one of ur has one team we can call our rival. And being able to rival a national powerhouse like lsu would speak alot ab our program
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hvsupastar

i think lsu is perfect. Neither one of ur has one team we can call our rival. And being able to rival a national powerhouse like lsu would speak alot ab our program
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: 4windshawg on February 05, 2009, 05:09:05 pm
I want to be hated by everyone. I want people to look at my big, red, razorback decked out truck with disgust when I roll it into any of the 48 drivable states I could get it. I want little children to cry when they here about Arkansas. I want them to hate us with a hatred that will make USC look like one of the 12 apostles. I want people to wonder who will be number 2 this year, because they already know ARKANSAS (WILL BE) #1.

Dennis Leary would be the right person to do this live. Excellent rant. +1

NuttinItUp

Any Texas team (Texas A&M appears to be the best choice for the next couple decades at least) so that we can build up our recruiting base there.

casken

LSU...I was at both Miracles on Markham.  I like beating them more than anyone since the battles with the shorthorns over in Austin.
WPS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Divot

LSU. They will be relevant the next 10 years. Ole Miss will not.

tolerati

LSU. They are a past rival when the games were played in Shreveport. Plus they are a national power as well as a border state as well as SEC W foe.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Idahog

I voted other.  Nothing like a big time Rivalry with DII-A Idaho State University Bengals!! 
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

WPSportsman1

I voted Texas b/c it would be nice to have a fierce rivalry with them.. on second thought though the Idaho State rivalry would be friggin awesome!

SPAL

lsu no doubt. Ole miss...lmao. If nutt wasnt the coach, this would be a non issue. They do not matter in the grand scheme of things. LSU and/or alabama is the only choice from the SEC.

TAMU might turn into one, but they arent really a threat either.

hognelson

RazorNick

Alabama here. Petrino vs. Saban should be exciting in the future. I don't think Les can keep up, just look at last year. I will not give Nutt the pleasure of thinking he is important.

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

cdclark09

Why can't we be the team that everyone circles on their calender?

HamHands

LSU from that list, but TN is who I really hate most in the SEC. I can't stand rocky top and that ugly ass orange. I wish we played them every year! I also hate Nutt and anywhere he coaches; therefore, I hate Ole Miss too.
One day at a time.

The Great Hambino

Hawgz4Life

All of 'em....I want every team we play in the SEC to hate us as much as we hate them. And yes, we do hate all SEC rivals.

toozakpig

I HATE TEXAS! I HATE TEXAS. For those who are not old enough to remember not only did we have to play texas, but also the refs and the SWC. LSU and UT are a close second, and N.Dame is ahead of Texas. I HATE TEXAS.

ALLVOL

Quote from: HoginHeat on February 06, 2009, 10:14:01 am
LSU from that list, but TN is who I really hate most in the SEC. I can't stand rocky top and that ugly ass orange. I wish we played them every year! I also hate Nutt and anywhere he coaches; therefore, I hate Ole Miss too.
We dont hate the Hogs...

PMP11

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

hawgsav1

I see a number of people put Ole Miss on the list.  I personally don't want Ole Miss to succeed enough for us to develop a rivalry with them. As it stands now, we've beaten them most of the time. Apart from Nutt, they hate us, but we don't hate them.  I consider them beneath us. 

There seems to be a strong desire for people to fight Tennessee.  I will add this to the poll.

hawgsav1

Hmm... it seems I can't find how to modify the poll.  I can modify my post, but not the poll.  Oh well.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Kilgor on February 06, 2009, 11:54:41 am
You will.
I dont think so. I get your point that you guys are going to be really good and very soon to boot and I agree with you. But most VOL fans like the Hogs and respect the School and the fans.

cdclark09

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 06, 2009, 12:52:14 pm
I dont think so. I get your point that you guys are going to be really good and very soon to boot and I agree with you. But most VOL fans like the Hogs and respect the School and the fans.
Dang it!

ALLVOL

I think LSU and Alabama are naturals for being the Hogs rivals.

The Boar War

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 06, 2009, 12:52:14 pm

I don't understand the desire for a rivlary with Tennessee?  Is it really just the color and the fact that they go by UT?  We play Tenn every four years.  Definitely not enough to have a rivlary.  Plus when I look at them it's not with some amount of hatred.  I guess I feel about them the same way I do Kentucky or Georgia (just another SEC team).  But I guess this is why it's a personal opinion poll.

South Carolina took two coaches from us in the past two years (a reason to dislike them) but I have a hard time getting excited about South Carolina.