Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can anyone explain the rivals points system?

Started by headalphageek, February 03, 2009, 04:03:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

headalphageek

You would think they would list from 1st down by the avg star rating, but no.  It is done on this point system.  Does anyone have the secret formula for their point system?

Geek

31to6

One of the LSU posters (Tammany Tom perhaps?) had a good post a few days ago. Can't find it but I'm sure if you dig a little bit in this forum you can.

headalphageek

I tried to search for it, but the search was not working. Ill try to keep clicking back, now that i know there is one.

Thanks WD

Geek

TrojanHog

And while you're at it, please explain the scoring system for the Arkansas bar exam, the essays, thanks for both in advance...

Tammany Tom

Quote from: wdremington on February 03, 2009, 04:28:01 pm
One of the LSU posters (Tammany Tom perhaps?) had a good post a few days ago. Can't find it but I'm sure if you dig a little bit in this forum you can.

Here you go. FYI, I only copied and pasted this from a poster on one of our boards. The guy who posted it is a Graduate student in Math at LSU. He came up with LSU and Bama's numbers down to a tee.

Use only a team's top 20 recruits when calculating.

Team Points = H * ( n / ( n + m ) ) + L * ( m / ( n + m ) )

H = potential High score = 250 for every five-star, 140 for every four-star, 75 for every three-star, 20 for every two-star and 10 for every one-star.

L = potential Low score = 18 for every five-star, 12 for every four-star, 8 for every three-star, 3 for every two-star and 1 for every one-star.

m = a constant (by working backwards, it appeared they used 50 as their constant last year)

n = the sum of the following Bonus Points

Bonus Points:

? 10 points for every commit ranked 1 to 10 in the Rivals 100, nine points for every commit ranked 11 to 20, eight points for every commit ranked 21 to 30, and so on down to one point for every commit ranked 91-100.

? 10 points for every commit ranked 1 to 10 in the Rivals Juco 100 or the Rivals Prep 100, nine points for every commit ranked 11 to 20, eight points for every commit ranked 21 to 30, seven points for every commit ranked 31 to 40, and six points every commit ranked 41-50 on those two lists. Evaluate only the top 50 on these two lists, not the entire 100.

? 24 points for every commit that is the Number 1 player at an official Rivals Position Ranking.

? 18 points for every commit that is number two, three, four, or five at an official Rivals Position Ranking.

? 8 points for every commit that is number six through number "X" at an official Rivals Position Ranking. Each position has a different cutoff point ("X"). Example: For kickers, add 8 to n if a commit is ranked from 6 through 10, but at wide receiver add 8 to n if a commit is ranked from 6 through 50.

? Add to n is the amount over 3.00 for the average stars for the entire class, times 100. For example, if your class is an average 3.72 stars, we add 72 to your n.

Inguinal_Orchiectomy

Quote from: Tammany Tom on February 03, 2009, 06:10:30 pm
Here you go. FYI, I only copied and pasted this from a poster on one of our boards. The guy who posted it is a Graduate student in Math at LSU. He came up with LSU and Bama's numbers down to a tee.

Use only a team's top 20 recruits when calculating.

Team Points = H * ( n / ( n + m ) ) + L * ( m / ( n + m ) )

H = potential High score = 250 for every five-star, 140 for every four-star, 75 for every three-star, 20 for every two-star and 10 for every one-star.

L = potential Low score = 18 for every five-star, 12 for every four-star, 8 for every three-star, 3 for every two-star and 1 for every one-star.

m = a constant (by working backwards, it appeared they used 50 as their constant last year)

n = the sum of the following Bonus Points

Bonus Points:

? 10 points for every commit ranked 1 to 10 in the Rivals 100, nine points for every commit ranked 11 to 20, eight points for every commit ranked 21 to 30, and so on down to one point for every commit ranked 91-100.

? 10 points for every commit ranked 1 to 10 in the Rivals Juco 100 or the Rivals Prep 100, nine points for every commit ranked 11 to 20, eight points for every commit ranked 21 to 30, seven points for every commit ranked 31 to 40, and six points every commit ranked 41-50 on those two lists. Evaluate only the top 50 on these two lists, not the entire 100.

? 24 points for every commit that is the Number 1 player at an official Rivals Position Ranking.

? 18 points for every commit that is number two, three, four, or five at an official Rivals Position Ranking.

? 8 points for every commit that is number six through number "X" at an official Rivals Position Ranking. Each position has a different cutoff point ("X"). Example: For kickers, add 8 to n if a commit is ranked from 6 through 10, but at wide receiver add 8 to n if a commit is ranked from 6 through 50.

? Add to n is the amount over 3.00 for the average stars for the entire class, times 100. For example, if your class is an average 3.72 stars, we add 72 to your n.

Wow. So who's going to check and make sure they have all our points? Not me, lol.
I am the answer.

regi

I don't understand, but losing Johnson shot our total points and avg up, adding Henderson pushed our total points and average down, than losing Secord again pushed up our total points. We remained at 15 however?

PigPusher

And as refresher on the Rivals star rating system which is a derivative of the formula above.

Rivals.com Prospect Database
About Football Ratings

Rivals.com has assembled the top team of recruiting analysts in the nation with both national and regional experts based all throughout the country. With those strengths, players at a number of different positions will be ranked once a month from June until February.

The rankings are compiled after countless hours of film evaluation, personal observations and input from professional, college and high school coaches.

In the finished product, players are ranked a number of different ways but the most important ways are numerically by position, qualitatively by stars and a new ranking system that grades players on the expected impact they will make in college.

Players are ranked numerically on a national level at their positions. The numerical ranking at each position varies depending on the depth of the talent at the position.

Players are also ranked on their quality with a star ranking. A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation's top 25-30 players, four star is a top 250-300 or so player, three-stars is a top 750 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.

The ranking system ranks prospects on a numerical scale from 6.1-4.9.

*****    6.1               Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed

to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect.  Top 25-30 player.

****      6.0 to 5.8    All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and

ability to make an impact on college  team.  Top 250-300 player.

***        5.7 to 5.5    All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-

mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro  potential and ability to make an impact on college team. Top 750 level.

**          5.4 to 5.0    Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may

be more of a role player.  Mid-major prospect. 

*            4.9              Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about.

Not ranked.

Rivals.com is proud to present the most advanced database system ever created and the most advanced rating system around. If you have any questions about the database or rankings contact recruiting@rivals.com.

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: regi on February 03, 2009, 06:54:38 pm
I don't understand, but losing Johnson shot our total points and avg up, adding Henderson pushed our total points and average down, than losing Secord again pushed up our total points. We remained at 15 however?

That's the part of the formula that screws everything up. They only add up the points for the top 20 players, but in calculating the points they use the average stars for the entire class. So you could have 20 4* players and then if you add some 2* players it actually decreases the total points because the average stars would decrease.

PigPusher

Quote from: Simple Swineman on February 03, 2009, 07:02:13 pm
That's the part of the formula that screws everything up. They only add up the points for the top 20 players, but in calculating the points they use the average stars for the entire class. So you could have 20 4* players and then if you add some 2* players it actually decreases the total points because the average stars would decrease.

Ah ha the old Bell grading system.  Use to hate being graded that way.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

headalphageek

That clears everything up.  Thanks for the info.