Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hogs' main problem

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 20, 2009, 11:58:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Forget the turrible assist to turnover ratio. Forget the cringe-producing and unproductive drives into the paint by our young PG. Forget the turrible FT shooting of our young PG when he does drive and is fouled, making it all for naught, and forget the turrible 3 point shooting of our young PG as well as the rest of the team.

The main problem with this team is simple...defense. In particular, they seem incapable of defending the 3. Miss State bombed away, OM bombed away and FLa bombed away. And those teams did not seem to have to work terribly hard to get a wide open 3 attempt. Why is the Hogs' defense not defending the 3? The opponents defend the Hogs' 3's nicely. They have their defense extended beyond the 3 line. Is that too much to ask of Pelphrey...that he extend the defense to 21 feet?

This issue of defending the 3 is not new to the Hogs. If you have paid attention over the last 12 years or so, it was a major problem for most of the last 6 or 7 seasons under Nolan. It was a major problem all 4 years of Heath. And now it's a problem for Pelphrey. Why is it that none of 3 coaches can see that the Hogs' defense is not defending the 3, at least not nearly as well as the Hogs' opponents defend the Hogs' 3's.

Over and out.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Tomhog™

I think this was a point FCJ tried to make earlier.  Fundamentals and discipline are sorely lacking with this team.  They got away with it up until conference play because they were shooting fairly well.  But when the shots stopped falling as much, it turned the games into ugly performances and turrible losses.

Oliver

It's been too long since we've had a team that played a complete sound game of defense. 

HawgAdvocate

January 20, 2009, 12:12:37 pm #3 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:14:08 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 20, 2009, 11:58:07 am
Forget the turrible assist to turnover ratio. Forget the cringe-producing and unproductive drives into the paint by our young PG. Forget the turrible FT shooting of our young PG when he does drive and is fouled, making it all for naught, and forget the turrible 3 point shooting of our young PG as well as the rest of the team.

The main problem with this team is simple...defense. In particular, they seem incapable of defending the 3. Miss State bombed away, OM bombed away and FLa bombed away. And those teams did not seem to have to work terribly hard to get a wide open 3 attempt. Why is the Hogs' defense not defending the 3? The opponents defend the Hogs' 3's nicely. They have their defense extended beyond the 3 line. Is that too much to ask of Pelphrey...that he extend the defense to 21 feet?

This issue of defending the 3 is not new to the Hogs. If you have paid attention over the last 12 years or so, it was a major problem for most of the last 6 or 7 seasons under Nolan. It was a major problem all 4 years of Heath. And now it's a problem for Pelphrey. Why is it that none of 3 coaches can see that the Hogs' defense is not defending the 3, at least not nearly as well as the Hogs' opponents defend the Hogs' 3's.

Over and out.

We're undersized. It's why Nolan struggeled towards the end, and it's why we currently have to run a 2-3 zone. We don't have the depth or experience in our frontcourt to play sound defense.

When Welsh has to play on the backline of the 2-3, you have problems. When you extend the 2-3, you put even more pressure on the thin frontline to stay out of foul trouble and consistantly rebound, which we haven't been able to do.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2009, 12:12:37 pm
We're undersized. It's why Nolan struggeled towards the end, and it's why we currently have to run a 2-3 zone. We don't have the depth or experience in our frontcourt to play sound defense.

When Welsh has to play on the backline of the 2-3, you have problems. When you extend the 2-3, you put even more pressure on the thin frontline to stay out of foul trouble and consistantly rebound, which we haven't been able to do.

I'd be fine with opponents hitting 3 point shots over our defenders due to their size.  But size isn't playing into it when our opponents take a 3 point shot and our nearest defender is standing 5 feet or further away.  This is usually the case.

hogalicious14

I think our problem is several fold:

1.  We don't seem to be playing as much full court press since start of SEC play
2.  We don't move the ball around enough in our offensive sets (don't make the extra passes for open 3's)
3.  Foul shooting
4.  Poor defense....we seem out of position all the time, leaving guys wide open on the perimeter.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 20, 2009, 12:23:24 pm
I'd be fine with opponents hitting 3 point shots over our defenders due to their size.  But size isn't playing into it when our opponents take a 3 point shot and our nearest defender is standing 5 feet or further away.  This is usually the case.

We extend our defense and our frontline is exposed even more.  Washington commits enough bad fouls without having to cutoff drives to the basket or defend a more open post.  Our guards do need to do a better job of getting to shooters.  Problem is Clarke isn't all that quick to close out.  Fortson is but is small.  Henry obviously would help but that is a sacrifice on the offensive end right now.  In the first half, UF wasn't hitting those 3 pt shots.  In the second half, they were and some were from well behind the 3 pt line.  Plus at 6-6 Calathes had no issue shooting over our small backcourt.

We can talk about what Pel and the staff aren't doing but this team has many many holes in it.  We have 9 players that were recruited to play basketball.  13 is the scholarship limit.  Its like we are under some kind of NCAA sanctions.  We will not get better until we get better players.  This isn't complicated. 

As far as the press, there are many reasons why Pel hasn't used it.  First its hard to press off of a missed shot and we aren't shooting well from the outside obviously.  Secondly, when Fortson or Welsh put their heads down and head to the basket, our floor balance and defensive rotation is compromised especially if Clarke is the other guard.  You are asking for runouts for our opponents.  If we press, that means one of our bigs must be at the backend to protect the basket for runouts.  Sanchez can't do it as he doesn't have the speed to get back or the height or athleticism to defend.  With Washington, we could but again you are going to cutdown his minutes more due to fouls.  Clark maybe but that would a sacrifice offensively.  You are also risking Fortson picking up fouls in the backcourt.  Clarke's footspeed would be exposed.  And back to one thing I have mentioned here already, we have 9 scholarship players + Monk with one suspended.  I'm not counting The Golfer.

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

beachhawg

The problem with this team is internal believe it or not.  Lots of problems going on in the locker room.

donewithdale

Quote from: Bailey on January 20, 2009, 01:37:13 pm
The problem with this team is internal believe it or not.  Lots of problems going on in the locker room.

What are the problems?  I'm not denying it.  Just keep seeing the statement yet nothing is explained.

Oliver

That's what keeps leaking out.  That's the worst kind of problem to have because it never gets fixed until some shake-ups occur.  I think this will continue to be treated like the pink elephant in the room all year long.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 20, 2009, 01:39:47 pm
That's what keeps leaking out.  That's the worst kind of problem to have because it never gets fixed until some shake-ups occur.  I think this will continue to be treated like the pink elephant in the room all year long.

We heard this during the Heath era too.  And during Nuttball.  And during Petrino's first season.  I guess we would have a lot of success if only the players could get along. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 20, 2009, 12:06:53 pm
It's been too long since we've had a team that played a complete sound game of defense.
Since 1995.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgsav1

I agree it is/was a problem currently and during the Heath years, but I'm not so sure it was the case during the Nolan years.  Nolan's last year had horrible play from our big men.  Alonzo Lane kept regressing as his career went on, despite his immense talent.  Dionisio Gomez was one of our top post players, and Larry Satchell was a foul machine.  I remember we were so happy when he played his best game as a Razorback: 9 pts, 7 boards (or some similar numbers).  40% of our rebounds under our own basket went to our opponents.  Our guard play was fine back then with T.J. Cleveland, Pargo, Dean, and Gipson, but our big men sucked rat poo.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

snoblind

I thought earlier in the season we heard the opposite and that's why they were playing so well, esp. after McDonald left.  What changed?

elksnort

I certainly agree about the need for more defense against the threes, but I would think that protecting the paint is more important. You have to defend against the easier shots first.

Even with poor three point defense, had we hit a much better percentage with our threes on the offensive end, we would have had a very good chance to win in all three recent loses. This may sound like an outscore them philosophy.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2009, 03:25:43 pm
I agree it is/was a problem currently and during the Heath years, but I'm not so sure it was the case during the Nolan years.  Nolan's last year had horrible play from our big men.  Alonzo Lane kept regressing as his career went on, despite his immense talent.  Dionisio Gomez was one of our top post players, and Larry Satchell was a foul machine.  I remember we were so happy when he played his best game as a Razorback: 9 pts, 7 boards (or some similar numbers).  40% of our rebounds under our own basket went to our opponents.  Our guard play was fine back then with T.J. Cleveland, Pargo, Dean, and Gipson, but our big men sucked rat poo.
I'm sure it was a problem during Nolan's last 6 or 7 years. I'm positive. The guard play on offense was not that great either but it was turrible on defending the 3.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: elksnort on January 20, 2009, 03:28:24 pm
I certainly agree about the need for more defense against the threes, but I would think that protecting the paint is more important. You have to defend against the easier shots first.

Even with poor three point defense, had we hit a much better percentage with our threes on the offensive end, we would have had a very good chance to win in all three recent loses. This may sound like an outscore them philosophy.

It's easier to protect the paint that it is to extend your defense. Any lazy ass can sag into the paint.

It's a defensive issue the hogs have, not an offensive one. You're right about one thing...what you say is the same as saying if we score more than the other team, we win.

HawgAdvocate

Gomez never saw a three pointer he didn't want to clank.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

condohog

In order for Lane to have been effective we needed a true or real Center. Satchell while from Waco was no Lee Wilson. It was not fair to ask a 6'5 Lane to bang against someone five inches taller or get doubled as we had no other low post option.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2009, 03:34:33 pm

Ya, and the scary part was that he was still one of the better big men on that team. *Shudder*

donewithdale

January 20, 2009, 03:41:37 pm #21 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:47:45 pm by donewithdale
Quote from: snoblind on January 20, 2009, 03:27:21 pm
I thought earlier in the season we heard the opposite and that's why they were playing so well, esp. after McDonald left.  What changed?

I've been waiting for a couple of hours on an explanation too.  Outside of the popular "blame Welsh because he hates Rotnei" theory (which doesn't show up much in games ie Florida where only once MAYBE this could be seen when Clarke was semi open when Welsh drove wildly to the basket and ended up landing on his head) I haven't seen any other rumors.

elksnort

Hoginmemphis,

I hear ya. But don't you think if we extend defense out that we'll leave our middle soft for the easy scores? The strategy worked ok in the first half vs the gators by sagging. Yes, it would be great to have a Vernado type to control the lane all by himself.
I still say that our outside shots have got to go down at a better rate.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 20, 2009, 12:23:24 pm

What he means is that if the front court size was there, we could extend to the 3-point line and not have to worry about needing the guards sag back to help on defense and rebounding.  And when you add to that guards who aren't much taller than 6'0, you are going to have real challenges guarding the 2 and 3 spot in a league like the SEC.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 20, 2009, 03:32:39 pm
I'm sure it was a problem during Nolan's last 6 or 7 years. I'm positive. The guard play on offense was not that great either but it was turrible on defending the 3.

I dunno...Pargo went for 30+ against Florida and Dean broke his career highs a couple times that season.  I don't have any stats on FG% defense or anything like that, but we had a talented guard corps that year.  If we had any serviceable big men that might have been a good year for us, and Razorback basketball would have had a much different history than it does now.

hawgsav1

Quote from: elksnort on January 20, 2009, 03:46:24 pm
Hoginmemphis,

I hear ya. But don't you think if we extend defense out that we'll leave our middle soft for the easy scores? The strategy worked ok in the first half vs the gators by sagging. Yes, it would be great to have a Vernado type to control the lane all by himself.
I still say that our outside shots have got to go down at a better rate.

No, because our inside guys play good enough defense to control the lane by themselves.  Washington, while a bit foul prone, is a solid defender, and so is Sanchez.  There is no reason that we should have been doubling down on Varnado.  Varnado is a defensive presence who has some offensive skills, but he is no Blake Griffin.  Our guys were kind of lazy and would lean away from their man to take wild swipes at the ball if it went inside.  That led to easy kickouts by Varnado, and open 3s.  If our guys had stayed on their man, Varnado wouldn't have been able to kick the ball out and would have had to take Washington one on one.

want2be

I heard Coach Evans interviewed a couple of weeks ago on the radio and he stated that he had players in his office almost every day last year, but he made no comment regarding this year which I gathered would mean that the chemistry and players are more coachable and disciplined this year.

The main problem with this team depends on who they match up with, which team has the hot hand, and how we play against other level teams.....I don't think you can single out the biggest problem other than our perimeter Dfense is suspect. Every game has a different set of problems and they have all added up to make us 0-3 in the SEC.

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2009, 12:12:37 pm

We're not as undersized with Fortson, Britt/Welsh/Clarke, Henry/Monk, Monk/Sanchez, and Washington.  Go with Fortson and the hottest hand at the 2 spot then play a 3,4, and a 5.  We're still not "big", but we're suddenly not small either.  I'm sorry but the shooting guards on this team aren't strong enough to have 2 of them on the court with Fortson more often than not. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2009, 03:47:19 pm
I dunno...Pargo went for 30+ against Florida and Dean broke his career highs a couple times that season.  I don't have any stats on FG% defense or anything like that, but we had a talented guard corps that year.  If we had any serviceable big men that might have been a good year for us, and Razorback basketball would have had a much different history than it does now.
yeah, and Dean and Teddy Gipson also had plenty of games where they didn't show up. Hence the losing record in Nolan's last year and his crappy records all of his last 6 seasons, relative to his records his first 11 seasons at Ark.

beachhawg

January 20, 2009, 04:11:34 pm #29 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:15:14 pm by Bailey

Quote from: donewithdale on January 20, 2009, 03:41:37 pm
I've been waiting for a couple of hours on an explanation too.  Outside of the popular "blame Welsh because he hates Rotnei" theory (which doesn't show up much in games ie Florida where only once MAYBE this could be seen when Clarke was semi open when Welsh drove wildly to the basket and ended up landing on his head) I haven't seen any other rumors.

Word on the street is that a ertain player cursing a certain assistant coach in locker room who had to be restrained and nothing has been done.  Couple of players involved in petty crap in addition with nothing done.
No names will be mentioned but it would not be hard to figure out.

donewithdale

Quote from: Bailey on January 20, 2009, 04:11:34 pm

Certain player cursing certain assistant coach in locker room who had to be restrained and nothing has been done.  Couple of players involved in petty crap in addition with nothing done.
No names will be mentioned.

If these are true, why not mention names and give details?  Will it be traced back to your source or something?  How has this caused the team to lose?

donewithdale

It couldn't be that Florida has badly outrecruited the Hogs and just about everyone in the SEC.

From Rivals since its so easy to check:

Florida's 07 recruits and national rank:
Calathes 14th
Parsons 19th
Tyus 50th
Allen 75th

Hogs top recruit:  Sanchez 111th

Florida's 08 class:
Vargas 26th
Kadji 27th

Hogs top recruit:  Fortson 60th

UK:
'07 Patterson 17th
'08 Liggins 28th
'08 Miller 42nd

Vandy, Tenn and Bama all signed higher rated players than we did.

'09:

Florida - Boynton 9th
UK - Orton 22nd Hood 32nd
Ole Miss - Buckner 30th
Vandy - Jenkins 37th

Hogs - Powell 56th

Until we start signing the elite we won't make it back to the elite.  I guess we'll have a lot of shortcomings to discuss though not to mention locker room tales.

3kgthog

Montrell McDonald was told to hit the road so that could be the player that was cursing an assistant. It would go along with the rumors of him being insubordinate.

What I know so far: Fortson and Henry were suspended for their transgressions. Moore has been suspended for his. What else, short of kicking half our roster to the curb, would we like Pel to do? We're already playing extremely shorthanded because Sanchez can't quit fouling and our bench is only about two deep with Monk and Britt.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 20, 2009, 04:10:22 pm
yeah, and Dean and Teddy Gipson also had plenty of games where they didn't show up. Hence the losing record in Nolan's last year and his crappy records all of his last 6 seasons, relative to his records his first 11 seasons at Ark.

I don't think it's fair to put that season on the guards.  We got nothing from the inside.  Most of the games that we lost were low scoring games where we couldn't fully execute in a half court offense, especially when the other team slowed us down.  The guards definitely deserve some responsibility, but that goes on the big men for that season.

Hawgndaaz

I think it comes down to poor shot selection which has lead to horrible shooting percentages.

Not guarding the 3 is the obvious issue. We didn't guard it against OU worth a crud either. We were fortunate to shut down Griffin inside for an entire half, which completely threw them off their game plan.

I don't remember the name, but their 2 guard made like 5/6 from 3 point land in the second half, most of them being uncontested. The difference in that game was we were not only hitting the wide open shots, but also the hail mary shots as well.

When you can't buy a bucket teams will keep letting you shoot (Fort, Welsh, etc.), with the exception being Clarke who hasn't been taking shots anyway. The defense just throws eight in the box and dares your big man to take on the double team.

I really wish we could bring in an experienced post coach to teach  positioning and ball movement down low. Washington puts the ball on the floor way too much when he's within 5 feet of the goal. Dribbling should be the last resort of your big man, as it is begging to lose the ball. When a big man dribbles on the low block it  takes away a post players' biggest strength:

HEIGHT ADVANTAGE

Head fake/power step/one dribble then either shoot or pass. When Wash puts it on the floor, it makes him 5'10 instead of 6'10.

I don't know what it will take, but Sanchez has GOT to become more alert when Fort gives him the no-look pass

When you don't make your shots, you can't set up the full court press.

that's all i got for now.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 20, 2009, 05:08:57 pm
I think it comes down to poor shot selection which has lead to horrible shooting percentages.

Not guarding the 3 is the obvious issue. We didn't guard it against OU worth a crud either. We were fortunate to shut down Griffin inside for an entire half, which completely threw them off their game plan.

I don't remember the name, but their 2 guard made like 5/6 from 3 point land in the second half, most of them being uncontested. The difference in that game was we were not only hitting the wide open shots, but also the hail mary shots as well.

When you can't buy a bucket teams will keep letting you shoot (Fort, Welsh, etc.), with the exception being Clarke who hasn't been taking shots anyway. The defense just throws eight in the box and dares your big man to take on the double team.

I really wish we could bring in an experienced post coach to teach  positioning and ball movement down low. Washington puts the ball on the floor way too much when he's within 5 feet of the goal. Dribbling should be the last resort of your big man, as it is begging to lose the ball. When a big man dribbles on the low block it  takes away a post players' biggest strength:

HEIGHT ADVANTAGE

Head fake/power step/one dribble then either shoot or pass. When Wash puts it on the floor, it makes him 5'10 instead of 6'10.

I don't know what it will take, but Sanchez has GOT to become more alert when Fort gives him the no-look pass

When you don't make your shots, you can't set up the full court press.

that's all i got for now.

Tony Crocker.  He's been hot and cold for OU the whole season.  He's a real emotional guy and a real streaky player.  One game he'll give you 5, then next he'll give you 21.  Warren was also hot outside as well (not surprising consider Clarke was guarding him).

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2009, 04:55:44 pm
I don't think it's fair to put that season on the guards.  We got nothing from the inside.  Most of the games that we lost were low scoring games where we couldn't fully execute in a half court offense, especially when the other team slowed us down.  The guards definitely deserve some responsibility, but that goes on the big men for that season.
I don't put that season, or any near it, on the guards...or the forwards. We had no center. I put those years on the Selector, Nolan Richardson.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 20, 2009, 05:43:22 pm
I don't put that season, or any near it, on the guards...or the forwards. We had no center. I put those years on the Selector, Nolan Richardson.

Oh boy...here we go again ;)

beachhawg

January 20, 2009, 08:32:28 pm #38 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:35:27 pm by Bailey
Quote from: donewithdale on January 20, 2009, 04:15:25 pm
If these are true, why not mention names and give details?  Will it be traced back to your source or something?  How has this caused the team to lose?

I owe you nor anyone else any names.  I will say that this problem is with current players, none that have been dismissed as of today.
Believe what you want, I could care less.  You get info then discount it.  Real info will not hit this board with attitudes of questioning posts.  Ever played sports?  When you have a group who is not on the same page from a team sake then you have major problems.  This isn't the playground, this is the sec. 
I will say this happened after the latest success and the very beginning of our recent struggle.  Big effect apparently.

donewithdale

Quote from: Bailey on January 20, 2009, 08:32:28 pm
I owe you nor anyone else any names.  I will say that this problem is with current players, none that have been dismissed as of today.
Believe what you want, I could care less.  You get info then discount it.  Real info will not hit this board with attitudes of questioning posts.  Ever played sports?  When you have a group who is not on the same page from a team sake then you have major problems.  This isn't the playground, this is the sec. 
I will say this happened after the latest success and the very beginning of our recent struggle.  Big effect apparently.

I specifically wrote in this thread that I am not denying it has happened or is happening.  I asked for details as real info is rarely given. 

heathtits

January 20, 2009, 10:13:10 pm #40 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:14:45 pm by heathtits
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2009, 03:34:33 pm

"Dionisio Gomez is just about the most athletic player I've ever coached."-Stanley Heath III.

kcstar

The Hogs lack of dominant inside defense causes the guards and wings to have to help making it difficult to recover to defend the three.  The Hogs are adequate at defending the middle at times and are very soft other times.

Say what you will about Stephen Hill, but he did not need any help defending the middle.  The Hogs miss his defensive presence a bunch.

al2305

Quote from: Bailey on January 20, 2009, 08:32:28 pm

It's not hard to figure out who's not happy. Id have to guess it was Moore or Henry cusin the coach, possibly Fortson cause he can get fired up quick, cant see Rotnie "The Saint"Clarke droppin any F-Bombs, Monk isnt gonna lose his cool nor Sanchez.  Whatever the problem hopefully it will work itself out and these FRESHMEN can gain some experience and get better.

elksnort

"Ever played sports?"

This is always a good one.

chortle

The Hog's main problem was...

cobra kai

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2009, 05:10:38 pm
Tony Crocker.  He's been hot and cold for OU the whole season.  He's a real emotional guy and a real streaky player.  One game he'll give you 5, then next he'll give you 21.  Warren was also hot outside as well (not surprising consider Clarke was guarding him).

Actually Warren scored a total of 4 points on Rotnei.  I know because i just watched it.  Warren hit a couple threes in the 1st half when we switched to zone(1 over sanchez and the other over moore).  He also hit one with Britt right in his face. He went off in the second half while Fortson was guarding him. 

At least pay attention to the games if you're going to come on here and criticize players.

hawgsav1

January 20, 2009, 10:59:21 pm #46 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:02:54 pm by hawgsav1
Quote from: cobra kai on January 20, 2009, 10:54:10 pm
Actually Warren scored a total of 4 points on Rotnei.  I know because i just watched it.  Warren hit a couple threes in the 1st half when we switched to zone(1 over sanchez and the other over moore).  He also hit one with Britt right in his face. He went off in the second half while Fortson was guarding him. 

At least pay attention to the games if you're going to come on here and criticize players.

I was at the game.  Warren and Clarke were mouthing off at each other.  Yes Clarke didn't play on Warren the whole night, but Pelphrey switched a number of defenders on him.  And Warren scored more than 4 points on Clarke.  And I'm not criticizing Clarke.  He's an awesome shooter who can get his shot off in a heartbeat and he needs more shot.  However, his defense hasn't exactly been great this year.

cobra kai

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2009, 10:59:21 pm
I was at the game.  Warren and Clarke were mouthing off at each other.  Yes Clarke didn't play on Warren the whole night, but Pelphrey switched a number of defenders on him.  And Warren scored more than 4 points on Clarke. 

i went through it play by play.  those were also the only points scored on rotnei the entire game - even when we were in a zone.

hawgsav1

and where did you get the statistics of who was guarding whom?  According to the play by play, the first 5 OU points were scored by Willie Warren, and Clarke was guarding him at the start.

cobra kai

i just watched the game tonight and i wrote down who scored and who was guarding them.  On OU's 1st possession, we were in man.  After a quick foul we switched to zone and Warren hit a 3 on the wing over fortson.  (I am watching the replay as I type.)  he hit 2 jumpers while clarke was guarding him in the first half.  the first shot he hit was when they screened for him on the wing and he penetrated into the lane for an open 10 footer.  the other jumper was a 10 footer on the baseline with clarke in his face.  he missed a few threes and then we went to a zone again.  that's where he hit a couple more threes - one with sanchez in his face, the other over moore.