Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trouble with sound using HDM1 cable

Started by PigPusher, January 05, 2009, 11:10:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

Having problems getting a good emulation on the cable box and its remote function. I programed the cable remote to control the television as much as possible. The thing is now when I try to tune the volume control with the cable remote nothing happens. I can control the sound fine with the television remote, but not the cable one.

I was told the problem is using the HDM1 cable with the cable box as the two are not totally compatible . Seems one has to connect the television directly up to the cable box with a separate cable.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

ArchitectHog

Sometimes, there is an additional step in the programming of the remote to get it to control the volume...at least for directv.  This is all I got, hopefully it'll help.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

majestic

Has nothing to do with the HDMI cable.  You need to try to find another code for your TV to program into the remote.  Some TVs have 10 or more remote codes.  The remote should have a manual with it that lists codes for you set.

Alternatively, why not program the TV remote to control the cable box?
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PigPusher

Majestic you continue to impress. Thanks. 

In fact I did not know I could program it in reverse. The info I have received in the past from Cox lead me to believe it was a one way deal.  I look into that approach.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PigPusher

Well I have tried all the various codes for my brand of television to no avail.  The cable box control still will not adjust the sound.  It does recognize the function and the sliding scale comes up on the screen, but the sound level is not affected when the volume button is manipulated.

Aaaaaargh!!!!!!

majestic

So the TV's volume properties show on-screen but the volume does not increase/decrease?  It is the same volume slider that your TV's remote invokes when attempting to adjust the volume?  That is bizarre. 

There are only two places to adjust volume properties.  Your cable box menu for volume/sound properties will adjust the output type (mono/analog - digital/surround sound) and line level (linear - fixed - variable).  Your television menu will have settings for output type and equalizer settings. 

One thing I might suggest is to unplug your cable box for a minute or two to reset it and then try the volume adjustment again. 

Refresh my memory and give me your TV make and model and your cable box make and model, too.  I'll investigate a bit when I have time.

PigPusher

January 07, 2009, 04:58:30 pm #6 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:04:15 pm by PigPusher
Quote from: majestic on January 07, 2009, 02:41:21 pm
So the TV's volume properties show on-screen but the volume does not increase/decrease?  It is the same volume slider that your TV's remote invokes when attempting to adjust the volume?  That is bizarre. 

There are only two places to adjust volume properties.  Your cable box menu for volume/sound properties will adjust the output type (mono/analog - digital/surround sound) and line level (linear - fixed - variable).  Your television menu will have settings for output type and equalizer settings. 

One thing I might suggest is to unplug your cable box for a minute or two to reset it and then try the volume adjustment again. 

Refresh my memory and give me your TV make and model and your cable box make and model, too.  I'll investigate a bit when I have time.

No Majestic the sliders are different in position and design.  The television slider is vertical on the left margin and the remote is along the bottom.

t is a 56" HD Samsung model #HL56A650.  As mentioned above we are using a Cox supplied cable converter box and it is a Motorola Model DCT2500. More specifically, I guess, a DCT2524/1631/AL (upgrade perhaps) as a number just below the DCT2500 call out on the bottom of the converter.

My son hooked the whole thing up so is it a possibility the volume plug ins are wrong in the back?

I could take a picture of the two machines in the back and email them to you if that will help.

majestic

I'll check more tomorrow, but you are making sure to hit the "TV" button on the Cox remote when attempting to control the TV, right? 

majestic

Before I quit for the evening........the HDMI cable only has one connection.  There is no way to hook it up incorrectly.  I ask about you making sure to hit the proper function key on the cable box remote because it sounds like you are attempting to adjust TV properties with the remote in the "cable" function mode.  If you are attempting to adjust volume of the TV utilizing the Cox remote, the volume sliders will be identical to the sliders that appear when using the TV remote. 

PigPusher

Quote from: majestic on January 07, 2009, 07:05:44 pm
Before I quit for the evening........the HDMI cable only has one connection.  There is no way to hook it up incorrectly.  I ask about you making sure to hit the proper function key on the cable box remote because it sounds like you are attempting to adjust TV properties with the remote in the "cable" function mode.  If you are attempting to adjust volume of the TV utilizing the Cox remote, the volume sliders will be identical to the sliders that appear when using the TV remote. 

I'll confirm that.

PigPusher

Majestic are you are wits end with this?  If so no problem.

majestic

Sorry, I thought you had resolved your issue.  What I actually need is the remote control make/model number.  It should be on a sticker in the battery compartment.  I'm pretty confident that the issue is with the volume tone being sent by the remote since the sliders are different.  Just for redundancies sake, you are making sure to press the "tv" button on the cable box remote prior to using the remote, right?

I wish you were closer and I'd come by and take a look.  You can likely call Cox and they'll come out for free. 

PigPusher

I'll do the Cox thing and let you know so you can take it off your plate if necessary. I really appreciate your attention on this.

majestic

Let me know what the resolution turns out to be.

PigPusher