Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need advice on getting rid of nuisance beavers

Started by Texman, November 30, 2008, 02:17:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Texman

November 30, 2008, 02:17:54 pm Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:22:27 pm by Texman
I have a problem with beavers on a small pond in my backyard.  Does anyone have experience getting rid of them?  Does the Game and Fish commission help out in the elimination?  or will I need to hire/find a trapper?  Thanks for any advice.

philobeddoe

You just about have to get a trapper or trap them yourself.  You can blow up the dam 10 times and those rascals will rebuild it 10 times.  You have to get rid of the beavers. 

IronHog

Quote from: Texman on November 30, 2008, 02:17:54 pm
I have a problem with beavers on a small pond in my backyard.  Does anyone have experience getting rid of them?  Does the Game and Fish commission help out in the elimination?  or will I need to hire/find a trapper?  Thanks for any advice.

1.  The cheapest option is to take them out yourself.  .22 with high velocity rounds will work with head shots.  Beavers are active early and late like most animals.  You can quietly disturb (just enough to get good water leaking) the dam to promote movement the day before a "hunt"

2.  If that doesn't work there are people who remove beavers and other problem animals for a living.  My father hired a man to remove a sneaky beaver from his pond this past spring.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Texman

Quote from: philobeddoe on November 30, 2008, 02:32:23 pm
You just about have to get a trapper or trap them yourself.  You can blow up the dam 10 times and those rascals will rebuild it 10 times.  You have to get rid of the beavers. 

I am beginning to believe my most efficient method will be to hire a trapper.  I burned the den last summer and it was 2 times as big in 2 weeks.  The beavers are really starting to take a lot of trees now... I guess I better get busy on hiring someone.  Thanks for the input.

IronHog

Quote from: Texman on November 30, 2008, 02:37:21 pm
I am beginning to believe my most efficient method will be to hire a trapper.  I burned the den last summer and it was 2 times as big in 2 weeks.  The beavers are really starting to take a lot of trees now... I guess I better get busy on hiring someone.  Thanks for the input.

DO NOT disturb the lodge.  This will simply drive the beavers nocturnal and make your job that much harder.

After the beavers are removed then burn the lodge to discourage new beavers from moving in........

Hammibal Lecter

Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

twistitup

Go fishing and take your rifle (or a pistol if you are a good shot). You will see them early and late, great time to fish as well!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Tom A

We had a big problem several years ago.  Used dynamite on the dens and they built back immediately.  The G&F came out and showed us how to set cable traps.  We finally got rid of them using the cable noose.  We would check the traps every day and shoot the beavers.  We killed 6-7, and they haven't been back since.

They were making mince meat of our trees, so something had to be done.

ConwayHog

All of you boys go hunting and can't even shoot an animal. 

HogNuttz

Quote from: Texman on November 30, 2008, 02:17:54 pm

I shot one in the head with a .243 once.  I'm pretty sure that worked.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

David†

Is it the elusive North American Hairless Beaver?  :)

DeltaBoy

440 Conibears work great set them at the bottom of a slide and bye bye beaver.  The G&F dept used to bring you a bottle of Cyanide with a probe and a timer that released the gas into the den at various intervals to kill off the beavers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sooieet

Just get you a medium sized alligator and turn it loose near the dam.  Of course, then you'll have a gator to deal with, but they don't eat trees, so it should make life better.  :)

Wayne Watson

Get a trapper.  I would use 3/32 snares to keep pets out.  Keep the hams if he'll let you....good eating.  Cook it like deer steak.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

philobeddoe

It's hard to kill a beaver.  I watched one crawl off after being shot in the head with buck shot, and I watched another one crawl off after being hit by a Ford F-150 traveling over 60 mph. 

Texman

I talked with a trapper and he is setting the traps tonight.  He thinks he will get them all in 2 or 3 days.  I guess time will tell.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Go out to the lodge and push a hole into it from the top.  Drop about 4 or 5 sticks of 2x16 inch tovex into the hole stopping short of the main chamber of the lodge.  Run the detonation cord to a point on the bank where you can approach it undetected attache the fuse and cap.  Wait until high noon the next day when all the beavers and beaverlettes are in the lodge.  Sneak up and light the fuse.  Problem solved!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

IronHog

IronHog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 01, 2008, 09:30:20 pm
Go out to the lodge and push a hole into it from the top.  Drop about 4 or 5 sticks of 2x16 inch tovex into the hole stopping short of the main chamber of the lodge.  Run the detonation cord to a point on the bank where you can approach it undetected attache the fuse and cap.  Wait until high noon the next day when all the beavers and beaverlettes are in the lodge.  Sneak up and light the fuse.  Problem solved!

Would you stay in your house while someone stood on the roof and tore a hole in the roof?

HuntinHog

Quote from: twistitup on November 30, 2008, 08:16:08 pm
Go fishing and take your rifle (or a pistol if you are a good shot). You will see them early and late, great time to fish as well!

I have a friend who used this method a few weeks ago.  He has a small lake on his property which is probably better described as a large and a small farm pond connected by a 10 food wide channel.  He shot the largest beaver I have ever seen, but by the next weekend the beaver's next of kin had worked overtime and darn near closed the gap between the ponds.  I've been told the counter attack will be brutal...

JusticeHawg

Quote from: philobeddoe on December 01, 2008, 07:39:34 pm
It's hard to kill a beaver.  I watched one crawl off after being shot in the head with buck shot, and I watched another one crawl off after being hit by a Ford F-150 traveling over 60 mph. 

Dangdest thing I ever saw.........almost felt like hitting a treestump  with the underside of the truck........and that sucker crawled back into the pond.........did more damage to the truck than the beaver I think.....
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

JusticeHawg

December 01, 2008, 10:30:52 pm #24 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:02:27 pm by JusticeHawg
Quote from: HuntinHog on December 01, 2008, 10:14:27 pm
I have a friend who used this method a few weeks ago.  He has a small lake on his property which is probably better described as a large and a small farm pond connected by a 10 food wide channel.  He shot the largest beaver I have ever seen, but by the next weekend the beaver's next of kin had worked overtime and darn near closed the gap between the ponds.  I've been told the counter attack will be brutal...

Tell him to bring the entire arsenal.........maybe some depleted uranium shells too........they are like little furry tanks.........
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Veritas Arkansas

Tell them you think their sister is hotter than they are.  Or tell them you have the clap.

They'll never come back to bug you again.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: IronHog on December 01, 2008, 09:36:54 pm
Would you stay in your house while someone stood on the roof and tore a hole in the roof?

No, but if I were a beaver, I would come back by the next day.  They do.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Texman

Update:  Two 40 pound beavers were caught last night.... trapper thinks that may be all, but will run the traps for another day or so.

deshahawg

Congrats on the catch. Hopefully they didn't destroy to many trees.

DeltaBoy

Good now skin them and smoke those suckers in the smoker basting with your favorite sause at 250 till done. 

Get some Ranch style beans and some fried Taters and don't forget the sweet tea and your set for some GOOD EATING!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Texman

I have heard that they are good eating.  I asked the trapper and he said his wife wouldn't cook them and he probably wouldn't eat them.  He said he uses the meat as bait to trap bobcats.  I would like to try them, but am currently 400 miles away. 

crispy crittr

Glad to hear your getting rid of them.  Here are a couple of links from my Game and Fish e-newsletter from last week that I just looked at.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.agfc.com/wildlife-conservation/nuisance.aspx
http://www.agfc.com/wildlife-conservation/nuisance/nuisance_beavers.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've had smoked beaver a couple of times at wild game dinners and it is very good. You won't find any fat on a beaver. Both times it was from a crop duster who trapped them on a customer's farm. The farmer was more than happy for him to come out and get an entree for the dinner.

Texman

Quote from: crispy crittr on December 02, 2008, 05:19:14 pm
Glad to hear your getting rid of them.  Here are a couple of links from my Game and Fish e-newsletter from last week that I just looked at.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.agfc.com/wildlife-conservation/nuisance.aspx
http://www.agfc.com/wildlife-conservation/nuisance/nuisance_beavers.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've had smoked beaver a couple of times at wild game dinners and it is very good. You won't find any fat on a beaver. Both times it was from a crop duster who trapped them on a customer's farm. The farmer was more than happy for him to come out and get an entree for the dinner.

Thanks for the links.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: IronHog on December 01, 2008, 09:36:07 pm

Looks like a good way for your lab to lose a leg.

.22 is easier.

That where the snare comes into play.  Most pets will sit down like on a leash when a snare closes on them.  Let 'em go...no harm done and they learned a lesson.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Yep with those Conibears you best keep the pets locked up.  A 440 will snap a hickory shedge hammer clean into.  That is why I like them critters never drag them off.

Swino

Quote from: JusticeHawg on December 01, 2008, 10:28:57 pm

Dangdest thing I ever saw.........almost felt like hitting a treestump  with the underside of the truck........and that sucker crawled back into the pond.........did more damage to the truck than the beaver I think.....

Did it bite your nipple off??