Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red/White Recap

Started by AirForceHog, October 25, 2008, 10:55:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirForceHog

Please, could someone who went to the game last night give a recap of the action? I'm really interested in how the young players looked.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Foshodo

Rot and Montrell looked to be the best two players... Washington and Sanchez both tried to force things (washington actually accomplished things when he forced them though)... Britt nailed seemingly every three pointer possible in the 3PT contest but really did nothing in the game... Brittney Richardson and Julie Inman are both wayyy better looking than they need to be to play basketball... I seriously had trouble watching the game because i devolved into a teenage slackjaw every time i saw them... "so purdy"

thats all i got

AirForceHog

Thanks for the response. Hopefully these guys can come together quickly and suprise a few teams this year.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

mhuff

Read some of the other posts. I think that you will get a more comprehensive overview. Washington looked better. Clark the PF shot well. McDonald scored points and played D as projected. They looked pretty good to me. Sanchez did not get a lot of opportunities. Lots of outside shots taken. During season Sanchez will average about 10 if he gets PT. Rotnei Clarke hit his first 4 threes. Clark the PF hit a 3 and a couple of outside shots. Very encouraging overall

UltimateHog

arkansasrazorbacks.com has a game recap.

Rotnei stole the show.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

3kgthog

Was anyone else's outlook on the season just totally dimmed by the Red-White game? I know mine was. I saw a bunch of extremely raw players. Our "big" men are stick thin and the rest of our team is vertically challenged. Things might've been rosier if Fortson and Henry had been playing, but I'm not sure either of those guys could convince me we'll win more than 15 games.

yraciv

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 26, 2008, 12:21:03 am
Was anyone else's outlook on the season just totally dimmed by the Red-White game? I know mine was. I saw a bunch of extremely raw players. Our "big" men are stick thin and the rest of our team is vertically challenged. Things might've been rosier if Fortson and Henry had been playing, but I'm not sure either of those guys could convince me we'll win more than 15 games.

I saw a team that looked like it could be one of the most athletic teams in the nation.  That doesn't translate to wins, especially with a young team, but I was very encouraged.

ntubjr

October 26, 2008, 05:37:24 am #7 Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 05:40:20 am by ntubjr

razerbacker

I didnt get that feeling at all. I saw a very athletic team that can do what pel will ask them to do. Looked like we will be a MUCH better passing team this year then last, and everyone can shoot the three on this team, not sure how many i want Brandon moore taking though. We will be able to press like pel likes, and we know have the kind of Power Forwards pel likes. I was pretty impressed with Andre clark. He passed and shot really well, and held his own with the rebounding. Montrell Mcdonald looked very solid. Looks like it will be hard to take him off the floor in the last 5 minutes in a close game. Britt looked better handling the ball while also driving and making the correct pass. Rotnei Clarke is the real deal. He handled the ball well, was fast with the ball, and wasnt a liability on defense. He will be able to get his shot off no problem, hes really good without the ball and reading screens. Overall, i came away with some hope of overacheiving.

mhuff

Hey, it could have been really bad, but I saw a lot of good things. It's like I have been saying all along; their passing is better. Just think of the number of turnovers we had early last season lol.That is not going to happen this year, and this was not the type of game to see defensive prowess. These guys are not playing like a bunch of guys that just fell off the wagon. All of this without two of the better players. Hey , we better cut thes guys some slack and enjoy what we have- even though it is not going to do anything but get better. I respect Forrest City Joe's opinion. Cmon Joe; what do you think?

opineonswine

What did you expect?  It's a completely new team that has never played together, been coached by a college coach and mostly freshmen.  Some people's expectations need to be reigned in.  It will be a year likely filled with a few highlights and a lot of struggles.  Pel is in his SECOND year.  He inherited a team of over-loaded seniors and one extremely unpredictable, moody, very good player in Patrick.  They are all gone and he has to start over.  He's not Hudini.

Oliver

For those of you saying "I can't wait for basketball season to start because football is a lost cause", I've got news for you.  Basketball season will be pretty much the same.  We aren't making the NCAA tournament and there is a good chance we finish dead last in the SEC West.  What I want to see are players learn to run Pelphrey's system and run it well.  Because nobody did that last year.

40MINSOFHELL

October 26, 2008, 07:44:19 pm #12 Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 07:48:02 pm by 40MINSOFPEL
WE WILL WIN THE SEC  :razorback:

Oliver

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on October 26, 2008, 07:44:19 pm

As long as you are being optimistic and not serious.

Pignominious

Quote from: Oliver Miller on October 26, 2008, 07:42:18 pm
For those of you saying "I can't wait for basketball season to start because football is a lost cause", I've got news for you.  Basketball season will be pretty much the same.  We aren't making the NCAA tournament and there is a good chance we finish dead last in the SEC West.  What I want to see are players learn to run Pelphrey's system and run it well.  Because nobody did that last year.

I would pretty much agree.  I don't know if we will finish dead last in the west but I don't see NCAA tourney with this group.  We didn't see Fortson and Henry but most other players didn't really impress me with the exeption of R Clarke.  That kid will win us some games this year.  If Fortson is as good as advertised and stays out of trouble then him and Clarke could be quite a duo.  McDonnald looked solid, but I was unimpressed with Sanchez and Washington.  I don't know if we are going to have much prescence inside this year.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Razorod

main goal this year is to establish pel's personality and style of play on the program. next year they will all be a year older and marshawn powell should give us a bit more on an inside presence. add one or two more players to this mix and we could get real good in 2010-2011.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Oliver

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on October 26, 2008, 08:15:02 pm
I would pretty much agree.  I don't know if we will finish dead last in the west but I don't see NCAA tourney with this group.  We didn't see Fortson and Henry but most other players didn't really impress me with the exeption of R Clarke.  That kid will win us some games this year.  If Fortson is as good as advertised and stays out of trouble then him and Clarke could be quite a duo.  McDonnald looked solid, but I was unimpressed with Sanchez and Washington.  I don't know if we are going to have much prescence inside this year.

We have a lot of talent, great talent...but ZERO returning starters.  And that always spells disaster no matter who you are.

SECGUY

Sanchez - looks the part until he moves. Almost looks awkard at times
Rotnei- better than advertised
Welsh- "held" Rotnei, if you were there you know.
Washington- Black Hole, if he has it-he shoots it
Andre Clark- Best looking athlete we've had in a while. Looks like a pro
Britt- Solid
Cox- He's a golfer
Walkon- no explanation needed
Fortson- missing in action
J. Henry- 4 star talent, 5 star trouble. Willing to bet a coke he's gone by Christmas
JUCO Montrelle or Muntrelle- Going to be a good one here as long as his demons of the past stay there
Brandon Moore - Needs a Redshirt year but that can't happen this season.

Overall a NIT bid would be great. These young guys need as many games as possible. Great schedule by Pel keeping them in state almost the entire non-conference season.

cthog99

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on October 26, 2008, 07:44:19 pm

weren't we suppose to go undefeated too last year according to you?

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: cthog99 on October 26, 2008, 10:13:23 pm
weren't we suppose to go undefeated too last year according to you?

no, last year I said we would lose 2-3 games, I didn't say we would go undefeated. Yes I'm optimistic =)

afielde11

Quote from: mhuff on October 25, 2008, 09:56:44 pm
Read some of the other posts. I think that you will get a more comprehensive overview. Washington looked better. Clark the PF shot well. McDonald scored points and played D as projected. They looked pretty good to me. Sanchez did not get a lot of opportunities. Lots of outside shots taken. During season Sanchez will average about 10 if he gets PT. Rotnei Clarke hit his first 4 threes. Clark the PF hit a 3 and a couple of outside shots. Very encouraging overall

10 what? sorry, but not points

Beaverfever

Quote from: Oliver Miller on October 26, 2008, 09:41:26 pm
We have a lot of talent, great talent...but ZERO returning starters.  And that always spells disaster no matter who you are.
Read OBH's thread about experience in basketball.  You are wrong.  I could give you tons of examples of teams that weren't disasters who were led mostly by freshmen/sophomores.  With that said, I don't think this team will be that good, but not because they are 'young', which they aren't really anyways.

Beaverfever

By the way, Clarke looks like he is very athletic/quick.  I don't think he will have any problem getting his shot off.  And Wash looks like a man this year.  He is quite a bit beefier than he has been.  He and Sanchez definitely meet the eye test as far as front courts go.

Hogjammin

Being young is not an excuse anymore. I would expect more out of this years team than last.  Mainly because the talent level is so much higher. Losing last years seniors was a blessing IMO. Pelphrey can now play his style and I'm excited to see what this group of athletes will do on the court.

Nolan didn't have problems making the tournament after losing key players in '92 and '95.

newhog

Beaverfeaver why won't we be any good then?

spahoopsfan

I went to the game and I was glad that people were able to see that RC is the real deal.  People were saying he couldn't get his shot off or play defense.  He is an excellent ball handler, has a quick shot and knows how to play.  The backcourt will be one of the best in the league with welsh, fortson and Clark, but the front court will one of the worst.  The only thing that can save the front court is team rebounding, stick backs and fortson penetrating to get easy baskets.  Absolutely no post presence.  That said I say 19 wins.

babywhiz

With the score being 'tied' at the 'end' and going into 'overtime', does that mean we have a really good deep bench, or are we that...um...inexperienced?

I mean, usually in a red/white game, the 'starters' run away with it, but there wasn't much of that sept when they got up  17-7.....
Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

rude1

Quote from: spahoopsfan on October 27, 2008, 04:56:27 pm
I went to the game and I was glad that people were able to see that RC is the real deal.  People were saying he couldn't get his shot off or play defense.  He is an excellent ball handler, has a quick shot and knows how to play.  The backcourt will be one of the best in the league with welsh, fortson and Clark, but the front court will one of the worst.  The only thing that can save the front court is team rebounding, stick backs and fortson penetrating to get easy baskets.  Absolutely no post presence.  That said I say 19 wins.
I don't think you can use a Red White game as evidence that Clark is going to have no trouble getting his shot off. We have small guards that he matches up with. When he gets in the conference, the guards he face will be bigger, quicker and stronger.

rude1

I do not expect much from this team. I just don't think this team is going to be all that talented. When I look at the rankings of the players we brought in, Fortson was the highest ranking one at around 59. You have got to able to get  a player or two from that top 25 to 30 range to build your program around. If not we had better hope that one of these guys we got turns out to be much better than projected.

mhuff

Folks, this was just a red-white game. Wait till they put in the presses. Did anyone see any presses? No, this was just to say hello. Wait till they put in the presses. They need time to adjust to each other,but that is what non-conference games are all about.

Rayzback

It'll be great to watch this TEAM develop an identity this year.  No worries about egos. Pelphrey will get them mentally and physically prepared. Let's hope they key on each others strengths, and bring it all to the court on game day. I'm excited. WPS!
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin