Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 12, 2024, 11:12:30 pm

No Gary Irvin

Started by ronshogs, October 18, 2008, 03:50:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ronshogs

October 18, 2008, 03:50:09 pm Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 03:55:27 pm by ronshogs
Who else is excited that we'll not have Gary (turnover) Irvin this year............

McKdaddy

I'd never seen a PG average as many TO's as Assists until Ervin.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

SONofHAM

It's gonna be great with a real PG!
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Smithian

I'll say this, when he was on, he was a great defender and was fun to watch on the break, but he wasn't on much.

UltimateHog

I seem to remember him ending his career on a pretty good note, he finished strong and really improved....

Needless to say, BRING ON THE STAR COURTNEY FORTSON BABY!
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

yraciv

I don't remember a Gary Irvin.

Foshodo

wow... what a tacky thread

Hogs_fan_for_life

Quote from: yraciv on October 18, 2008, 11:31:41 pm
I don't remember a Gary Irvin.

I was actually lost for a second, I couldn't remember him....shows how ready I am for Pel to get HIS team going.

McKdaddy

October 19, 2008, 10:43:24 am #8 Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:55:15 am by McKdaddy
Quote from: Foshodo on October 19, 2008, 09:42:51 am
wow... what a tacky thread
wow... this thread reminded me why I'm so looking forward to this season.

Thanks Gary for your hard work and effort, but for 2 seasons I saw more inconsistent PG play than I've seen from a Razorbacks PG over the last 30 years.  PG, similar to QB, is where a good team must have steady, consistent play.  It hasn't been there for the last 2 years.

afielde11

TomasPistola

Gary ERVIN played with more heart than any member of last years team. Yeah, he was a problem sometimes, but without him we wouldn't have made the NCAA Tourney. There were many times to me - especially watching him live - that he was the only one playing with any intensity at all.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

HawgAdvocate

Gary's junior year and his senior year were like night and day. He really pulled it together his last season.

He played great knowing we didn't have hardly any depth at guard. We had no other PGs on the roster, and he still delivered with clutch performances on most nights.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

awj81

did anyone think that coach Stansbury at MSU would let a GREAT player transfer within the division.  He knew what he was doing? 
glad last year is over now ready for the new team to get going!

Hogbody

Quote from: Hogs_fan_for_life on October 19, 2008, 10:17:23 am
I was actually lost for a second, I couldn't remember him....shows how ready I am for Pel to get HIS team going.

you actually have a "I just Steven Hill" shirt?

McKdaddy

Quote from: awj81 on October 19, 2008, 10:36:23 pm
Did anyone think that coach Stansbury at MSU would let a GREAT player transfer within the division?

That's what a lot of people kept questioning about Ervin.  Stansbury is a pretty smart cat.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 19, 2008, 06:49:11 pm
Gary's junior year and his senior year were like night and day. He really pulled it together his last season.

I would argue that he really pulled it together the 2nd half of the '07-08 season.  Thru the first 17 games of last year, Ervin had more TO's than assists in 7 of those games.  However, in the last 18 games he had more TO's than assists in only 2 games.

Addtitionally, Ervin's Ast:TO ratio for those first 17 games was 1.447:1; whereas, it was 2.135:1 for the latter 18 games--a 47.5% improvement.

That was marked improvement for a PG that had been so marred by inconsistency.  But I cannot say Ervin's play was like night and day b/t his junior and senior year as his Ast:TO ratio in his junior year was 1.7:1, and only improved to 1.8:1 his senior year.....not even ranking Ervin amongst the top-91 in NCAA D-1 last season (only listed players down to an Ast:TO ratio of 2:1, thus Ervin is somewhere south of #91).

cdclark09

October 20, 2008, 09:43:19 am #16 Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:52:12 am by cdclark09
I liked GE, he played his heart out and gave it his all.  There is no reason to start a hateful thread like this.  Without him I don't see us being as good as we have been the last two year (not saying we were great or anything).

kside

Quote from: ronshogs on October 18, 2008, 03:50:09 pm
Who else is excited that we'll not have Gary (turnover) Irvin this year............

nice post  rons(can't spell)hogs

Gary was my MVP last 2 seasons,  without him we wouldn't have been able to get the ball up the court,  everyone else was replaceable

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

sirhog

When he was on, we could play with anyone. He was the only person that wanted the ball in crunch time. Yes I know he didnt always make the smartest decision but he didnt have a shooter that he could rely on late in the game. He had to take it to the basket because no one else seemed to want it.

DizzyHawgFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 19, 2008, 10:43:24 am
for 2 seasons I saw more inconsistent PG play than I've seen from a Razorbacks PG over the last 30 years. 

How quick we forget Kareem Reid.  That cat drove me insane. 

McKdaddy

Quote from: Smithian on October 18, 2008, 07:02:03 pm
I'll say this, when he was on, he was a great good defender and was fun to watch on the break, but he wasn't on much.

I agree.

Quote from: UltimateHog on October 18, 2008, 10:20:08 pm
I seem to remember him ending his career on a pretty good note, he finished strong and really improved....

I agree again.

Quote from: TomasPistola on October 19, 2008, 03:53:17 pm
Gary ERVIN played with more heart than any member of last years team. Yeah, he was a problem sometimes, but without him we wouldn't have made the NCAA Tourney.

Sorta true, but let's not short-change Sonny.  Sonny had an on-court disposition of Lee Mayberry.

Quote from: cdclark09 on October 20, 2008, 09:43:19 am
GE played his heart out and gave it his all.

No doubt.

Quote from: kside on October 20, 2008, 09:47:43 am
Gary was my MVP last 2 seasons.....everyone else was replaceable

Again, don't forget about Sonny.

Quote from: sirhog on October 20, 2008, 10:01:55 am
When he was on, we could play with anyone. He was the only person that wanted the ball in crunch time. Yes I know he didnt always make the smartest decision.....

It was very disappointing to see PBev and Sonny not desire the ball in crunch time.  Your studs should live for the last shot.

As for not always making the smartest decision, that is part of the expectations of a PG.  Smart decisions most of the time along w/ stable, consistent performance on the court is all I ask for.

Just as I expect WR's to catch the ball most of the time, so do I expect a PG to provide stability, smart decisions, fewer TO's most of the time.  To not even rank amongst the top-91 D-1 players in Ast:TO ratio is only 1 illustration of a PG's effectiveness, but is one that this board seemed to have angst over much of the last 2 years--PG play must be consistent just like the QB.

Reading 2 articles this morning quoting some of our players, why did they keep talking about Fortson's ability to keep from making TO's?  Were they having flashbacks of past deficencies?

LRMedHawg

I have a friend who is a big Miss State fan who hated playing us because Gary Ervin always seemed to play great against them.  And with as many players transferring from Miss State in the past few years as they have had, it was inevitable that at least one would be in-division.  Gary was not a great player, but do you think that Pel is a bad coach who would play him if he didn't think he was our best option?

McKdaddy

Quote from: LRMedHawg on October 20, 2008, 11:40:50 am
Gary was not a great player, but do you think that Pel is a bad coach who would play him if he didn't think he was our best option?

Noone is arguing whether or not he was our best option.  Sadly he was.

McKdaddy

Quote from: LRMedHawg on October 20, 2008, 11:40:50 am
Ido you think that Pel is a bad coach who would play him if he didn't think he was our best option?
Next year will we have a similar Casey thread?

Hogbody

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 20, 2008, 11:52:28 am
Next year will we have a similar Casey thread?

cant blame casey for what was done to him

McKdaddy

litmachog

You mean "turnover waiting to happen"?  You bet, bring anyone else in and lower the TO's.

yodcw2003

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 19, 2008, 06:49:11 pm

He played great knowing we didn't have hardly any depth at guard. We had no other PGs on the roster, and he still delivered with clutch performances on most nights.

I totally agree. He was a nightmare junior year but I thought he had a
good senior year and was a big part of our success last season.

McKdaddy

Quote from: yodcw2003 on October 21, 2008, 04:33:01 pm
I totally agree. He was a nightmare junior year but I thought he had a
good senior year and was a big part of our success last season.

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 20, 2008, 09:22:55 am
I would argue that he really pulled it together the 2nd half of the '07-08 season.  Thru the first 17 games of last year, Ervin had more TO's than assists in 7 of those games.  However, in the last 18 games he had more TO's than assists in only 2 games.

Addtitionally, Ervin's Ast:TO ratio for those first 17 games was 1.447:1; whereas, it was 2.135:1 for the latter 18 games--a 47.5% improvement.

That was marked improvement for a PG that had been so marred by inconsistency.  But I cannot say Ervin's play was like night and day b/t his junior and senior year as his Ast:TO ratio in his junior year was 1.7:1, and only improved to 1.8:1 his senior year.....not even ranking Ervin amongst the top-91 in NCAA D-1 last season (only listed players down to an Ast:TO ratio of 2:1, thus Ervin is somewhere south of #91).

We'll agree to semi-disagree.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"