Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surely I am not first to link to this

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 05, 2008, 04:56:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/09/02/mythbusters.spread/index.html

In 1968, Arkansas head coach Frank Broyles told SI's Dan Jenkins, "If we just spread people out and let the quarterback drop back and throw like the pros, you could play a consistent defense. But now you've got teams with two split receivers, with runners and with quarterbacks who can run the option as well as throw. This simply generates more offense than any defense can handle."
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 05, 2008, 04:56:35 pm
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/09/02/mythbusters.spread/index.html

In 1968, Arkansas head coach Frank Broyles told SI's Dan Jenkins, "If we just spread people out and let the quarterback drop back and throw like the pros, you could play a consistent defense. But now you've got teams with two split receivers, with runners and with quarterbacks who can run the option as well as throw. This simply generates more offense than any defense can handle."

That's rich Biggus. So does that mean that Frank was his own "expert"? His mob name would be, "Mickey Two Face". :)
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Biggus,

I have a trial in early October.  Will you cross-examine the plaintiff's expert for me?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jgphillips3

I am sure that somewhere later in that article there is a statement to the effect of: "but that will only work here in the SWC, not over in the SEC."

mlloyd4

Genius Biggus Piggus, you and Frank Broyles both!

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
WPS

HognotinMemphis

Broyles very well may not have as high an IQ as many think.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hamfat1952

you know, it makes one think what must have been going through Frank's mind when he made the statement about the spread(and variations) not working in the SEC.
In the Montgomery years, he was as wide open as any head coach in the country, and he almost won the NC.  ......
The politics up there must be amazing....

TrojanHog

I make this spad joke as much as anybody, but to be fair, the "spread" isn't  what Broyles said wouldn't work in the SEC. It was the HUNH, just in case soebody here didn't know...

10thPlanet

Question is at what point does the HUNH O becomes just a spread, after the ball is snapped? So what happens in those pre-moments before the ball is snapped that makes the HUNH  ineffective in Franks Eyes? Could it be lack of organization, preparations and game decisions?

Steef

Who?

oldfart

any offense can be a HUNH. this only means that your team goes to the line of scrimmage without huddling and the QB (or someone) calls the plays there with minimum time between plays.  has nothing to do with the spread, wishbone, or the winged T.