• 389,036 Topics
• 22,021 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Stan Heath thinking?  (Read 5994 times)

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
Re: What is Stan Heath thinking?
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2005, 10:24:44 am »

Inigo, at what point, in your opinion, does the coach become responsible for the players actions? If you really believe that, then why should we ever hire/fire coaches?

Heath did not do a good job of assembling a team that had players with complementary skills, who fit all the necessary roles, and he didn't give a whit about defensive aptitude other than shotblocking.  His staff composition changed frequently, and he wasted a lot of time/effort on players who returned little/nothing.  It was a difficult rebuild for anyone much less someone so green.  Last year was a circus, a chemistry mess and a complete misfit of coaching strategy/tactics with available talent/skills.  If we wanted a quick turn, we should have hired a more experienced coach.  We didn't, we bought a long learning curve, and this is the year when expectations are prone to get ahead of reality. 

Schedule strength is tough in nonconference, maybe not so tough in SEC.  I hope what saves us is getting tempered early + junior and senior leadership + better chemistry + an end to square peg/round hole coaching approach + youth around the SEC.  Bad part is the only guard help we got is someone who didn't play last season.  Better than nothing.

I'll be thrilled if the Hogs look more organized and together overall, play better defense, and don't fall apart under pressure.  But we really will not know whether we're getting there until we get past Valentine's Day.  That's the point in the past three seasons when the team disintegrated.

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29:08 am »

True that biggus.  Talent is there.  The confidence and chemistry are the difference makers.  I am keeping the faith that we will be back in the NCAA tournament again this year. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bknight33

« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2005, 11:08:42 am »

Marty's boy, by that same logic we shouldn't have to recruit players. just pick 5 guys walking around campus and if the coach is good, we should win the NC

That is really not the same logic at all.....Stan Heath is not just some guy off of the street coaching five of the best players in the country.  I do not think that he should be fired....never said anything remotely close...but, to say that he has no responsibility for last season is a stretch....discipline, cohesiveness, teaching: all of these things fall under the coach's responsibility and I think that he would be the first to tell you that he was not happy with the performance.  I do not seperate the coach from the players....all are a part of the team.  However, he is the man, the leader, and he is held accountable when things go right/wrong.  That is his job. 

BigC51

• Hogvillian
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2005, 12:24:02 pm »

This is Stan Heath's 4th season. Are all the people he recruited STILL in high school? Where is he recruiting, Root Elementary???

Best line in a long time......

Although the kids at Washington arent bad.

toshortrock

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2005, 12:55:44 pm »

well,,he;s has to win this round,,i 'm on his side,,,but it;s time,,,

Lanny

• The1
  • Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The1
    • Hogville.net
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2005, 10:49:51 pm »

Anyone that has ever played organized sports knows that last years team quit on Heath.  This is inexcusable for the Head Hog of Basketball to lose control of his team.

One more thing, Who does Heath think he is fooling talking about recruiting a player knowing they would have to redshirt......yea right.

Porquemada

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2005, 10:51:51 pm »

One more thing, Who does Heath think he is fooling talking about recruiting a player knowing they would have to redshirt......yea right.
Maybe he's saving them for the next coach.

Lanny

• The1
  • Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The1
    • Hogville.net
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2005, 10:53:39 pm »

Maybe he's saving them for the next coach.

Waste of time and scholarship when this team needs a player that can shoot beyond 12 feet.

LL COOL HOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2005, 03:26:27 am »

OK well if it was a waste of a scholarship...who would u prefer?   A freshman, how many freshman saviors are playing Div 1.  Maybe 3 or 4 or none.  These guys are going pro remember.

I believe that Stan is doing his best....he just does not have the experience.  Most of u guys wont like this but he got this job so that the UofA would not appear racist.   Over my short time on this earth I have gained the ability to read between the lines...Stan has only good things to say about Nolan and how much he looked up to him.  He knows  how he got this job its so obvious.   Come on guys  he only had 1 yr experience.   Don't blame him....he was thrown to the wolves...How many ppl would succeed at turning the program around in three years....Phil Jackson and he needed Micheal Jordon for that.

Yes I believe that Stan needs to motivate more...He is just a laid back guy.  These guys need a cheerleader that can stick a boot in there u know what!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas