Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Deal On The Hill moving to Little Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by harrisburghog, August 27, 2008, 06:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisburghog

BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! having great players come to bud walton arena was a big plus, what happened? listening to bill ingram explain things on sports animals, sounds like bs to me.

HawgFan25

hogsanity

They moved it to LR because the Hogs just are not getting those great players from Cent Ar anymore.  Guys like Hunter, who just finished what had to be the most unproductive career ever. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Torqued pork

Something tells me we will be seeing a new post by Robert Sheilds very soon.

The Marmot

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/235523/

It outgrew NWA. Lets hope it succeeds and continues to grow in LR. This shouldnt add to the already immature regionalization of the state.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

HOGSandDUCKS

I hear they're putting a court down at WMS, and they're gonna do it there.

And they're gonna move 5 Razorback basketball games there every year.... ;)

nlrwildcat1

Wow still people taking shots at little rock. They just could not grow anymore in fayetville.

nextlevel

Quote from: HOGSandDUCKS on August 27, 2008, 08:34:24 pm
I hear they're putting a court down at WMS, and they're gonna do it there.

And they're gonna move 5 Razorback basketball games there every year.... ;)

LOL +1

Or are they going to play under the 630 bridge?
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Lando Calrissian

Yay, so Little Rock gets back a tournament that no one (except about 40 or so major D-1 coaches) attends and the U of A loses the ultimate recruiting tool of having about a hundred of the top basketball recruits in country ON CAMPUS for a couple of days.

Good for you, Little Rock.  You win.  You're awesome.  Go Hogs?

(At least we know people can rent vans in Little Rock.  *whew!*)
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Flatfoot

Aren't the people from Real Deal on the Hill decide where they want to play the games?  Don't think it was a Little Rock decision.  Boy this crap from Central Arkansas versus NWA is getting old.  The last time I looked we both live in Arkansas.  What is the problem you don't want to drive 2 hours and 45 minutes to Little Rock to see games?  Sorry couldn't help the dig!  Since you guys from NWA say it all the time about football games in Fayetteville.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

jcam61

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on August 28, 2008, 02:43:32 am
Yay, so Little Rock gets back a tournament that no one (except about 40 or so major D-1 coaches) attends and the U of A loses the ultimate recruiting tool of having about a hundred of the top basketball recruits in country ON CAMPUS for a couple of days.

Good for you, Little Rock.  You win.  You're awesome.  Go Hogs?

(At least we know people can rent vans in Little Rock.  *whew!*)

Yeah...because the tourney in fayetteville really locked up those 5 star guys... 

Not saying it shouldnt be in fayetteville..   but seriously..  has it really helped That much?

The Boar War

I hate that it was moved from Fayetteville.  Even though it hasn't really panned out like I hoped it would with recruiting its easy to see how it could have paid dividends.  Unfortunately Fayetteville didn't have the number of facilities or volunteers to allow the tournament to grow or really, even keep the status quo.

123 of the 141 volunteers were from central arkansas.  Most of the teams from out of the area had to fly into LR and then rent a van to go to Fayetteville.  The team that won last year missed their flight because playing in the tournament final coincided with their travel time back down to the airport.

THis really isn't a NWA versus Central Arkansas thing.  Ingram is definitely a U of A guy.  It just had to grow or be relegated. 

NWASooner

That's a huge loss for the U of A.  Seriously, the top recruits in American get to come play at what is probably the nicest college arena in the country and it doesn't even count as a recruiting visit.

What's the upside of moving it to Little Rock?

drivetimeporks

first of all... as we all know, basketball was invented to give the football guys something to do after the season...that said, i hate basketball... but... a few things dont make sense here..first, it doesnt make sense that the U of A  wouldnt want the real deal  thing to still be in fayetteville youd think  it would be a huge recruiting tool... secondly, the idea that Fville cant get/ wont build more gyms or whatever is crazy ..cant afford it or a few vans  or whatever? ha...they have more money than they know what to do with....SOOOO,  apparently the U of A doesnt care so much about this or theyd support it financially, which to  the U of A  or  any corporate sponsors would  be pocket change...

but like i said its just basketball so who cares..

earshot

Quote from: The Boar War on August 28, 2008, 07:03:22 am
I hate that it was moved from Fayetteville.  Even though it hasn't really panned out like I hoped it would with recruiting its easy to see how it could have paid dividends.  Unfortunately Fayetteville didn't have the number of facilities or volunteers to allow the tournament to grow or really, even keep the status quo.

123 of the 141 volunteers were from central arkansas.  Most of the teams from out of the area had to fly into LR and then rent a van to go to Fayetteville.  The team that won last year missed their flight because playing in the tournament final coincided with their travel time back down to the airport.

THis really isn't a NWA versus Central Arkansas thing.  Ingram is definitely a U of A guy.  It just had to grow or be relegated. 

I read that in the paper and don't understand why they didn't fly into XNA?

DoggtownHog

Quote from: drivetimeporks on August 28, 2008, 07:15:40 am
first of all... as we all know, basketball was invented to give the football guys something to do after the season...that said, i hate basketball... but... a few things dont make sense here..first, it doesnt make sense that the U of A  wouldnt want the real deal  thing to still be in fayetteville youd think  it would be a huge recruiting tool... secondly, the idea that Fville cant get/ wont build more gyms or whatever is crazy ..cant afford it or a few vans  or whatever? ha...they have more money than they know what to do with....SOOOO,  apparently the U of A doesnt care so much about this or theyd support it financially, which to  the U of A  or  any corporate sponsors would  be pocket change...

It sounds like the guy in your avatar wrote that. Are people just supposed to go around passing out money so kids can play bball? And check out prices for flying into XNA compared to LR.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

drivetimeporks

like i said , i dont care at all about hoops..stopped being interesting to me about er... 1990 ish... but, as i said its pocket change.. .clearly the u of  a doesnt care...

Tripod1

Quote from: earshot on August 28, 2008, 07:18:16 am
I read that in the paper and don't understand why they didn't fly into XNA?
Probably cheaper fares in LR but I don't know that for certain.  I realize you cannot always believe what you read in the paper but from what the paper says it just had no more room to grow in NWA and sites were getting too far apart.  Plus, if the paper is correct, about 75 per cent of the volunteers are from LR.  Still will place the spotlight on the state of Arkansas so that is good and I believe there will now be over 350 teams playing.

The Marmot

Quote from: drivetimeporks on August 28, 2008, 08:01:13 am
like i said , i dont care at all about hoops..stopped being interesting to me about er... 1990 ish... but, as i said its pocket change.. .clearly the u of  a doesnt care...

Its not the UA's deal. They provided BWA and I'm sure other amenities, but they cant just go out and build more gyms and courts for this one tourney. Thats just stupid. And it may me a violation for a university to actually sponsor such a tourney... do we know that? This thing just outgrew NWA, and calling the UA out for it is wrong.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

drivetimeporks

Quote from: The Marmot on August 28, 2008, 08:14:32 am
Its not the UA's deal. They provided BWA and I'm sure other amenities, but they cant just go out and build more gyms and courts for this one tourney. Thats just stupid. And it may me a violation for a university to actually sponsor such a tourney... do we know that? This thing just outgrew NWA, and calling the UA out for it is wrong.
sorry there Rick.. but maybe the u of a isnt directly linked to it.. but we all know thats the whole reason its there..so..why so defensive...call a spade a spade...real deal is ther efor thehogs to skirt the ncaarules..  (not saying it wrong, every other school does it in some way)

The Marmot

Quote from: drivetimeporks on August 28, 2008, 08:23:00 am
sorry there Rick.. but maybe the u of a isnt directly linked to it.. but we all know thats the whole reason its there..so..why so defensive...call a spade a spade...real deal is ther efor thehogs to skirt the ncaarules..  (not saying it wrong, every other school does it in some way)

Of course it was started in NWA to be close to the UA.... so was the Holiday Hoops tourney. But neither are/were supported by the UA.... one died out from timing and money, the other has flourished beyond its current capabilities. Yet you're calling out the UA to keep it here?

FWIW, Tyson is the primary sponsor of these tourneys, and even he isnt going to go out and build random gyms for Real Deal.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

TheGunther

Quote from: NWASooner on August 28, 2008, 07:08:21 am
That's a huge loss for the U of A.  Seriously, the top recruits in American get to come play at what is probably the nicest college arena in the country and it doesn't even count as a recruiting visit.

What's the upside of moving it to Little Rock?

What's the upside of Little Rock?  Um.. how about bigger facilites.  I bet you'll see this tourney moved to a little place called Alltel Arena.  WAY more people, More Parking, More seats to fill, more hotels.

Also, considering they will get people coming from Hot Springs up to Conway all the way to Pine Bluff coming I believe it is just a bigger draw and more money. 
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

The Marmot

Quote from: TheGunther on August 28, 2008, 08:35:30 am
What's the upside of Little Rock?  Um.. how about bigger facilites.  I bet you'll see this tourney moved to a little place called Alltel Arena.  WAY more people, More Parking, More seats to fill, more hotels.

Also, considering they will get people coming from Hot Springs up to Conway all the way to Pine Bluff coming I believe it is just a bigger draw and more money. 

BWA has more capacity than Alltel, and its not about number of seats, its about number of courts in the area, which LR has more of.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

drivetimeporks

Quote from: The Marmot on August 28, 2008, 08:28:34 am
Of course it was started in NWA to be close to the UA.... so was the Holiday Hoops tourney. But neither are/were supported by the UA.... one died out from timing and money, the other has flourished beyond its current capabilities. Yet you're calling out the UA to keep it here?

FWIW, Tyson is the primary sponsor of these tourneys, and even he isnt going to go out and build random gyms for Real Deal.
not calling out the u  of a..... just theyre missing out on their ncaa loophole tis alli msaying..idont watch hog hoops..havent since the  nolan era

Quote from: HawgFan25 on August 27, 2008, 07:49:43 pm
Will they change the name to "Real Deal in the Ghetto"?
When is the last time you've driven around LR? Do you ever go to West Little Rock? Any decent size city in the country has rough areas, LR included, but I don't get your point? Should the SEC Championship game be moved out of Atlanta? ATL has a lot more "ghettos" than LR.

DeltaBoy

This is good for Central Arkansas  with Altell and Barton Coliseum the Courts at UALR and Local HS this should be great.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Marmot

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 28, 2008, 08:48:56 am
This is good for Central Arkansas  with Altell and Barton Coliseum the Courts at UALR and Local HS this should be great.

How about its good for AR in general.... just as it was in NWA.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

mattfromhuntsville

What a dumbass move that is.  I thought this was suppose to be a recruiting tool for the UA.  Kids get to see NWA, play in BWA and see the campus.  Moving to LR you get what???  I'm still waiting, what do they get to see???  Oh, that's right the BB teams plays 1 game a year in LR.  Brilliant move!!! 

linkshog

There is simply more gym and hotel space in the Central Arkansas area.  They will be playing in gyms even in Conway.  I was dissapointed it was leaving Fayetteville simply because we would lose some exposure to the program, but it does make sense.  Alot of these AAU programs,and/or the parents and players are not from the wealthiest parts of America.  Moving it to Central Arkansas would alow more teams to compete and lessen the additional cost for teams to get to NWA.  I still think the Razorback program will benefit from this tournament.  I'm excited the tourney is here and hope it grows to be one of the best AAU tourneys!  WPS and GO HOGS!!!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: drivetimeporks on August 28, 2008, 07:15:40 am

I NEVER smite people, but -1, I love the round ball.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: Karma on August 28, 2008, 08:44:07 am
When is the last time you've driven around LR? Do you ever go to West Little Rock? Any decent size city in the country has rough areas, LR included, but I don't get your point? Should the SEC Championship game be moved out of Atlanta? ATL has a lot more "ghettos" than LR.
Yes, it should be moved out of atlanta.  Of course my 2 miserable experiences in Atlanta at the SECCG were based on the outcome of the game.  I think it should be held at LP field (much more central to the entire SEC) fwiw.

pigture perfect

I'm a Central Arkansas Guy, but moving the tournament is not a good move IMO. We had a good tourney a few years back called the King Cotton classic.  Big names appeared in that one too. One of the best match-ups was Corliss against J. Kidd. Corliss blocked a last second shot to give Russellville the championship. That was a great game. What happened to that tourney? Why don't we keep the deal on the hill and bring back the king?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Marmot

Quote from: NinoHog on August 28, 2008, 09:41:13 am
Wasn't the King Cotton in Pine Bluff???   Real Deal is an AAU and King Cotton was High School BIG DIFFERENCE!!! It's funny how many on here say that the LR posters are always on the defense but we get attacked because the tourney was moved here... I have not read one post where a LR poster blasted the posters from  the redneck moutains... Bella Vista is the best looking thing up there...

You just did Nino. Thanks for perpetuating the immaturity. Good work.  ::)

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

drivetimeporks

yeah the king cotton was a big deal back in like 1985-1990? dennis scott  i think was there.. but, the whole thing is/was shady..high school teams tourning the country.. prep squads mostly, private schools recruiting ringers to play..sounds like arkansas  high school football to me !!!!!!

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: NinoHog on August 28, 2008, 09:41:13 am
Wasn't the King Cotton in Pine Bluff???   Real Deal is an AAU and King Cotton was High School BIG DIFFERENCE!!! It's funny how many on here say that the LR posters are always on the defense but we get attacked because the tourney was moved here... I have not read one post where a LR poster blasted the posters from  the redneck moutains... Bella Vista is the best looking thing up there...
You must not have been around when the whole MM DW GM thing went down.  Lotsa antipathy towards Springdale and NWA coming from central AR.  I'm from Fort Smith, sure it's a chithole, but it has the Rib Room and the yellow umbrella.  Fort Smith's slogan should be "A great place to get drunk and fat" haha, just playin', I love VISITING home.

OTTER

As much as I hate to see the move, I can definately understand the reasons especially if the tournament is going to grow.  It's about growth, motel space, gym space and attendance, and the bottom line is, it still showcases our state.  I will be glad when we can put to rest the Central Arkansas vs. North West Arkansas stuff and unite to make these types of things a total success.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

drivetimeporks

The Marmot

Quote from: NinoHog on August 28, 2008, 10:13:02 am
Marmot, I get tired of the ghetto remarks  and just the bad comments  about LR anytime something is brought up about LR. From here on out I will no longer sit back.  My CITY gets smeared so I will do the same to that TOWN... Why does U of A this Great place live and learn have a hard time getting AA's. Why is U of A spending money advertising on the local rap stations in LR... You know why... You also know why? U of A lacking a type of student and that hurts pulling top prospects as well... But I will stop before I get banned... I was here when the Best team ever (0-2 vs LITTLE ROCK Central ) sent their prizes to the Hill...

I'm tired of the immature bickering back and from both sides, which you just added to. LR people give just as well as they receive when it comes to smears.

As far as your racial rant, I'm sorry the UA isnt Grambling. I'm sure the white conspiracy up there to keep the black student down will be exposed soon.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

The Marmot

Quote from: NinoHog on August 28, 2008, 10:13:02 am
Marmot, I get tired of the ghetto remarks  and just the bad comments  about LR anytime something is brought up about LR. From here on out I will no longer sit back.  My CITY gets smeared so I will do the same to that TOWN... Why does U of A this Great place live and learn have a hard time getting AA's. Why is U of A spending money advertising on the local rap stations in LR... You know why... You also know why? U of A lacking a type of student and that hurts pulling top prospects as well... But I will stop before I get banned... I was here when the Best team ever (0-2 vs LITTLE ROCK Central ) sent their prizes to the Hill...

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/11314.htm

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hoghart

"It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
Abraham Lincoln

Baconator

I think Pel's Elite Camp, where he actually gets to work with the kids, will turn out to be the better recruiting tool. A lot of times recruits would play in Real Deal and Arkansas would appear on their Scout/Rivals lists but they would ultimately sign elsewhere.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: NinoHog on August 28, 2008, 10:45:29 am
Nobody is asking U of A to be Grambling that was low by the way.   There are many schools in Arkansas where the difference isn't as bad as U of A.   Drivetime you ever heard of Prince Hall??? No not the football player
nope but ill google him..thx

kimjongsqUeAl

So who made the decision to move it to LR?  Are they gonna move it back to The Hill next year?
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

drivetimeporks

drivetimeporks

PeytonManningSUCKS

MCheisman

Little Rock is bigger and has more infrastructure for this kind of thing...gyms..hotels.etc..

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on August 28, 2008, 10:49:55 am
So who made the decision to move it to LR?  Are they gonna move it back to The Hill next year?
The organizer, Bill Ingram, made the decision. He lives and works in LR, and having it in LR is logistically much easier for him.

P.S. All of the above was taken from an article by Wally Hall - so it could all be wrong.

MCheisman

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on August 28, 2008, 10:49:55 am
No, it outgrew Fayetteville, its the Real Deal in the Rock now. If Little Rock has the infrastructure to host NCAA tourney games, this should go off without a hitch and grow like crazy.