Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beverly changes his story, may play at UA again...

Started by COCHISE, August 19, 2008, 10:29:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

COCHISE

COCHISE

Sounds like an issue of plagiarism of some sort.

bwbcpa

Sounds like Beverley may have enough drama going on that he may not be attractive to a college  program, given that he is still eligible.

phadedhawg

I'm starting to not care the reasons why he might or might not play.  Maybe he should just hit the road and take the drama with him...

Whatever is going on it can't be good for the team with his on again off again attitude towards the Razorbacks...

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

COCHISE

His scholarship has been pulled right??  This young team doesn't need this kind of leadership.  I wish Pel would just tell PBEV to move on and we could use his scholarship and go after a big time recruit, there should be some guards that see this as a big opportunity to come in and get some significant playing time.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

sickboy

You guys are crazy. Why would you kick a Patrick Beverly to the curb?  I don't care if he cheated on a paper and I don't care if he has to sit out this year.  If he can come back and play for his senior year he would be a much needed addition.  It's not like P. Bev isn't a top notch SEC talent.  This guy is a player.  Sure he had a sophomore slump but c'mon.

If Matt Jones would have been caught with cocaine while he was a junior would you have kicked him to the curb?

Wild Bill Hog

We don't know what happened.  We don't know when it happened.  We don't know if he's still on scholarship or not  We don't know if he's been kicked out of school or not.  To the best of my knowledge he's had none of the DUI's, drug possessions, failure to appear, possession of a handgun, etc. that guys currently practicing with the football team have had.  Let's not throw PBev under the bus just yet.

stlchiroHOG

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on August 19, 2008, 11:43:40 am
You guys are crazy. Why would you kick a Patrick Beverly to the curb?  I don't care if he cheated on a paper and I don't care if he has to sit out this year.  If he can come back and play for his senior year he would be a much needed addition.  It's not like P. Bev isn't a top notch SEC talent.  This guy is a player.  Sure he had a sophomore slump but c'mon.

If Matt Jones would have been caught with cocaine while he was a junior would you have kicked him to the curb?

WHAT!!!????? PB was taking it to Chirs PAul and Lebron (No im not saying that he is even close to them) but he has been working is *** off this summer, he got caught cheating on a paper...big deal, if he came back next year we are looking at a sweet 16 year, if not better

Beaverfever

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on August 19, 2008, 11:43:40 am

I think the difference is most people are just getting sick of the PBev stuff.  I still say let him back if he can come back, particularly if he could play second semester this year.

Arkapigdiesel

Tired of the drama with Bev.  Once again, go back to chicago.

ConwayHog

Quote from: stlchiroHOG on August 19, 2008, 12:01:51 pm
he got caught cheating on a paper...big deal, if he came back next year we are looking at a sweet 16 year, if not better

So...athletic talent over integrity?  Is that how you stand? 

ConwayHog

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on August 19, 2008, 12:06:33 pm

Best suggestion I've seen. 

Geohul

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on August 19, 2008, 12:06:33 pm
Tired of the drama huh?  How many of you will be stirring up the crape when Pel goes .500 in conference this year without PBev?  I have yet to understand why with no definitive information some of you are ready to kick the SEC freshman of the year from 2007 off of our team with virtually no other leadership.  Drama?  What other drama are you all referring to?

Arkapigdiesel

Talent will be down this year, people that are reasonable expect a down year.  Tell bev to go back to chicago.

HogBaptist

Quote from: Geohul on August 19, 2008, 12:16:39 pm
Tired of the drama huh?  How many of you will be stirring up the crape when Pel goes .500 in conference this year without PBev?  I have yet to understand why with no definitive information some of you are ready to kick the SEC freshman of the year from 2007 off of our team with virtually no other leadership.  Drama?  What other drama are you all referring to?

baby mamma drama
PBev wanting to transfer with Stan but then changing his mind

Richard_white

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 19, 2008, 12:13:28 pm
So...athletic talent over integrity?  Is that how you stand? 

I agree

I guess by many opinions on here that only applies to a football coach.  Strange, isn't it?

heathtits

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 19, 2008, 12:00:42 pm
Just kicked off the team. The Hogs don't need no drug users on the team, it don't matter what their star staus is.

Hmm, well you better go ahead and kick at LEAST 50% of the players off basketball and football. Well, that of course is if you consider weed part of the "drugs are bad" group.

If you think nearly every one of our players doesn't get a little high on downtime, I'm sorry but pigs can fly.

And as someone said before, plagiarism is a BIG DEAL. It's like taking a dump right square on the chest of William Fulbright. With all the extra tutors and help PBEV has access to, that's baffling. I'd like to have him around, and am all for giving him another chance but never undermine the seriousness of plagiarism. It's complete and utter swine.

cdclark09

So lets say he does go back to school... is he still suspended for the 0809 season?  And if he is... can it count as a redshirt year?

Arkapigdiesel

I'm with heathtits.....I can handle a little toke or drink, but academic cheating is inexcusable (IF that's why he was ultimately kicked off the team).  Athletes have tutors at their beck and call and are afforded luxuries to academic help that the average student will never know about.

Still, this incident is just "one more" on the Bev pile of drama news.

Corkscrew Johnson

Why the hatred for Patrick Beverly?  He has been the heart and soul of this team for the past two years, and he stuck with us through the Heath saga.

It looks like he plagerized.  He got suspended for the team for ONE YEAR.  That's pretty steep.  If he wants to stick around, support the team and practice hard for the following year, I see no reason why anyone should have a problem with this.   That's a big commitment both to the University and Coach Pel to forego $200,000-$400,000 in salary for international ball in order to wait around for another 15 months before putting the Razorback jersey back on. 

heathtits

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on August 19, 2008, 12:18:04 pm
Talent will be down this year, people that are reasonable expect a down year.  Tell bev to go back to chicago.

Seriously, It was starting to be clear that he is a selfish player who wasn't going to work very well in Pel's system anyway. YADDA, YADDA rebounds were good but everyone forgets he threatened to transfer back to Heath. If he can't tell the difference between Heath potential and John Pelphrey's then good riddance. We will be better off in the long run without this type of attitude around.

This is the type of guy he is, it's not judging and people make mistakes but after TWO BABIES you'd think someone would get the point. If it isn't clear that he could do ANYTHING he wanted under the Heath regime then I don't know what is. I'm thinking this is what people really mean when they say "players coach" A.K.A Nutt and Co. as well. I'm tired of that and we should demand more credibility and responsibility since we all are paying for this kids school.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on August 19, 2008, 12:18:04 pm

You must not have wanted Todd Day, Kareem Reid, or Ron Huery to finish their careers as Hogs either after the issues they ran into as players.

I don't feel sorry for Beverley, but who the hell hasn't cheated on a paper at some point? Pat got caught. Big deal. If basketball was my life, I wouldn't want to miss out on a year of competition either. Let the guy have some breathing room.

We'd be morons to want him to go away over getting caught cheating on a paper. Unreal.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 19, 2008, 12:33:30 pm
You must not have wanted Todd Day, Kareem Reid, or Ron Huery to finish their careers as Hogs either after the issues they ran into as players.

I don't feel sorry for Beverley, but who the hell hasn't cheated on a paper at some point? Pat got caught. Big deal. If basketball was my life, I wouldn't want to miss out on a year of competition either. Let the guy have some breathing room.

We'd be morons to want him to go away over getting caught cheating on a paper. Unreal.

I'm in the middle on this one.

On one hand, I'm tired of having basketball seasons where we don't do anything substantial in March.  Without Beverley, this year will be yet another one of those years.

But, in the meantime, I'm going to give Pel the benefit of the doubt.  If he doesn't want to give Beverley a second chance, then I assume there's a good reason for that.

heathtits

August 19, 2008, 12:41:49 pm #26 Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:45:16 pm by heathtits
Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on August 19, 2008, 12:32:44 pm
Why the hatred for Patrick Beverly?  He has been the heart and soul of this team for the past two years, and he stuck with us through the Heath saga.

It looks like he plagerized.  He got suspended for the team for ONE YEAR.  That's pretty steep.  If he wants to stick around, support the team and practice hard for the following year, I see no reason why anyone should have a problem with this.   That's a big commitment both to the University and Coach Pel to forego $200,000-$400,000 in salary for international ball in order to wait around for another 15 months before putting the Razorback jersey back on. 

One year is not that steep. The average student will usually get suspended at least a semester for a second offense. Even a first if it's major. If I'm not mistaken we never found out what EXACTLY he was suspended for last year at the beginning of the year? This HAS to be a second time if not a third occurrence of him cheating . It looks to me like the University has put their foot down, rather then the good ole' boys to be.

But I do want to be clear I'm not trying to be a moralist by any means. I understand it goes on and hope that it doesn't happen as often as Hawg Advocate says but if it's bad enough to suspend him an entire season, it must have been a major problem.

I say it's Pel and Bev's call and I'll pretty much fall in line to whatever happens. Either way, we will be fine, maybe not deep into March like HawgAd said, but it will be a solid and at least fun to watch year.

jsimpso3

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on August 19, 2008, 12:32:44 pm

It looks like he plagerized.  He got suspended for the team for ONE YEAR.  That's pretty steep.  If he wants to stick around, support the team and practice hard for the following year, I see no reason why anyone should have a problem with this.   That's a big commitment both to the University and Coach Pel to forego $200,000-$400,000 in salary for international ball in order to wait around for another 15 months before putting the Razorback jersey back on. 

i don't think that anyone is hateing on pbev. it's just that there is always something stewing with kid. wants to transfer, wants to say, kicked off the team, not kicked off the team. a little stability would be nice.

PlayCallinBrotha

Well I for one thought Bev played better the late in the season. Yeah he may have had problems at first with Pel, but you're going to get that a lot when a new coach comes in. From reports I read this summer it appeared Bev was really stepping up his game. I think some people don't realize how many students cheat in college.

I've heard anywhere from 50-90% have at least once. Not that it makes it right, but puts things in a different perspective. And furthermore everything is just a rumor at this point

pigture perfect

He shouldn't be back on the team until the truth is known. The question now is how will we know what the truth is after all the lies, and how long will it take. I don't think we will ever know the truth. SO, Thanks PB for the last 2 years, and have fun playng against Pargo in Europe.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ballhogger14u

Some of you need to look in the mirror, you tell me you have never not one time copied off of someone or got some kind of extra help in school, just about every one of us has done that at one time or another, kids are going to make mistakes its what you do after the fact that counts, maybe he learns a lesson for this, but if he can right the ship and come back i would take him, its not like he got caught doing drugs, noone has a problem taking these kids back so why are you on him so hard

COCHISE

Quote from: donewithdale on August 19, 2008, 12:26:43 pm
Can we wait until we know the story before judging the kid so strongly? 
We know the story, he's ADMITTED to violating NCAA rules regarding a paper, there's no denying the paternity issues, and he wanted to transfer to S. Florida, his mom talked him out of it.  I'm not speculating, these are all facts and it's my opinion that we can do better with his scholarship, again IMO he's not the leader we need on this team for this young class.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 19, 2008, 12:38:53 pm
I'm in the middle on this one.

On one hand, I'm tired of having basketball seasons where we don't do anything substantial in March.  Without Beverley, this year will be yet another one of those years.

But, in the meantime, I'm going to give Pel the benefit of the doubt.  If he doesn't want to give Beverley a second chance, then I assume there's a good reason for that.

I'm not saying he should be allowed to play for the team this year for the sake of wins.  Pel has to do what he has to do, and I haven't heard too many examples in college sports of players being suspended for an entire year.  But notice Pel didn't kick him off the team, he suspended him for a year.   That leaves open the possibility of Beverly paying his dues, working hard, and recommitting himself to his teammates and the University.

Beverly's past drama at the University hasn't exactly been unsubstantiated.  He wanted to transfer after our coaching change (remember the Creighton coach saga? that was a MESS), and he looked into doing the same after paternity issues.  Both of those, IMO, are justifiable reasons for considering a move.   His other incidents were on the level of being late for team meetings and breaking curfew. 

cdclark09

I can't possibly believe that we can write this kids off for some 'drama.'  Everyone on here at the end of last season would have said he is going to be the best player on the team and the team leader.  What are you going to say if we go .500 without him?  Now some want to say that they could see it at the end of last year that PB wouldn't work in the Pelphrey system.  That's BS.  If anyone thinks cheating on a paper is more severe than idk a DWI you are crazy.  When was the last time someone was killed or killed someone else for stealing a few lines in their midterm paper?  So, unless he is NCAA ineligible or the school kicks him out like they would any other student, he should be able to return (if he wants to) with open arms. 
Besides... we still don't really know what happened or the circumstances. 

Pioneer Fan

I think the paternity issues are none of anyone's business. That's personal and doesn't have anything to do with basketball. And save the "It affected him on the court" argument because that can't be proven at all.

Give the guy another chance. If he is committed enough to stay and take his punishment then he deserves it. I can't believe that we are so quick to judge so harshly.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

deshahawg

I hate that this thing has gotten so hairy. This kid could play some basketball and if we got everyone eligable we could have a pretty good team this year.

cdclark09

Quote from: 870 RZR on August 19, 2008, 12:58:24 pm
We know the story, he's ADMITTED to violating NCAA rules regarding a paper, there's no denying the paternity issues, and he wanted to transfer to S. Florida, his mom talked him out of it.  I'm not speculating, these are all facts and it's my opinion that we can do better with his scholarship, again IMO he's not the leader we need on this team for this young class.
He is the best player on the team... how do you suppose we replace that this year?

mclyte

Is it a known fact that Pat Beverly was caught cheating...  As far as I know, the University has not commented on the issue. 

Also for all of you throwing the kid under the bus, I have a question for you?  Did you ever cheat during a test, copy a classmates answers for homework, etc...?  I am sure you have as I have in my academic career. 

Remember This Saying:  'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

jgphillips3

How can all of you be so brash about sending Bev away.  He didn't shoot as well last year, but he was one of the hardest workers on our team and is just a boy.  If he made a mistake that didn't hurt anyone other than himself (unlike the Freddie Fairchild situation) then he should be given a chance to fix that mistake if he wants it. 

The best thing for that young man is to have the structure of school around him and that is what is important.  Even if he doesn't play for us again, being in school could make a tremendous difference in his future.  Let's remember that even though these guys are public figures, they are just kids.  If your kid made that mistake, would you want a second chance for them or just to have them thrown to the wolves?  Think about it like he is your son.  He let his team down for sure, but he hurt his own self more.  Give the kid a break.

AckaBacka

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 19, 2008, 12:33:30 pm

Its not just the cheating, its the transfer threats as well that make me think he doesn't WANT to be here.  If he wants to be here, fine, but quit talking about transfering and quit talking about going pro and just do your work.  Without cheating of course.  Its really quite simple.  Bev can do exactly what he wants, but as a Razorback fan, I have had quite enough drama.  If you want to transfer, then do it.  If you want to go pro, then do it.  If you want to play for the Razorbacks, then do it.  Just do it.

mclyte

Quote from: AckaBacka on August 19, 2008, 01:51:24 pm
Its not just the cheating, its the transfer threats as well that make me think he doesn't WANT to be here.  If he wants to be here, fine, but quit talking about transfering and quit talking about going pro and just do your work.  Without cheating of course.  Its really quite simple.  Bev can do exactly what he wants, but as a Razorback fan, I have had quite enough drama.  If you want to transfer, then do it.  If you want to go pro, then do it.  If you want to play for the Razorbacks, then do it.  Just do it.

I guess you have had enough with a player putting it on the line every time he takes the floor for your university...  He plays 110% and plays harder than any player I can remember for the University of Arkansas.  The guy is fearless... From the dislocated jaw, hurt shoulder, banged up knee...  He played through all of it! 

Also one side note,  Patrick Beverly is one of the best recruiters on campus.  The highly touted class coming in was due in a large part to him.  I know of two players coming in that he took under his wing and made a huge impact on there commitment. 

Give the guy a break...  Seriously!   

HawgAdvocate

If he wanted to transfer, he'd be gone already.

We sure didn't care when Ryan Mallett transfered down here because of a coaching change. So why would you bust Bev's balls over the same issue, simply because it doesn't favor you?

It's his life, let him make his own decisions. No one gets it right, every time, the first time.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mclyte

Yeah the transfer deal is a non issue....  You have a close bond with your coach that recruited you in high school.  The same issue was with DJ Williams... There is no hate for him, so why should there be for Patrick!

Clark W Grishawg

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 19, 2008, 12:00:42 pm
Just kicked off the team. The Hogs don't need no drug users on the team, it don't matter what their star staus is.
Do you know anything about the 1994 basketball team?

MDH

You may have been overloaded by the Farve drama that has occurred.  The drama over PBev has been considerably less, once you discount all the drama the fans have created.  Personally I hope we see him on the roster next year.  He's a great player with a motor that befits him wearing a Razorback uniform.  People make bad decisions, particularly at his age, it's just a case of his being too public.  So many people on this board and others judge without having all of the facts.  I don't have them and I imagine the majority of the people around here slinging mud don't either.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

I don't normally quote the bible, but that seemed quite appropriate for what is going on around here.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

AckaBacka

Quote from: mclyte on August 19, 2008, 01:58:39 pm
I guess you have had enough with a player putting it on the line every time he takes the floor for your university...  He plays 110% and plays harder than any player I can remember for the University of Arkansas.  The guy is fearless... From the dislocated jaw, hurt shoulder, banged up knee...  He played through all of it! 

Also one side note,  Patrick Beverly is one of the best recruiters on campus.  The highly touted class coming in was due in a large part to him.  I know of two players coming in that he took under his wing and made a huge impact on there commitment. 

Give the guy a break...  Seriously!  
What did I say that wasn't "giving him a break"?  He's honestly one of my favorite players.  Charles Thomas was my favorite player til he got busted for pushing a woman around.  Should I also overlook that incident merely for the way he plays a game?  Sorry, I can't.  I can't help the way I feel about someone and if a player does things that make me like them less, is that some kind of failing on my part? Its human nature.  I'm not saying that a player's main focus should be making fans happy, but if a player does things that make people wonder about his desire to be a Razorback, is that my fault?  The guy can do whatever it is that he wants to do.  My only request is that he do whatever it is that would make him happy and stop jerking around.  His coach and his teammates are depending on him to fulfil his part of the bargain, which he obviously hasn't been doing.  I just want him to make up his mind about what he wants to do and then do it.

PolishPigPower

Eddie Sutton gave Darrell Walker a second chance, if memory serves.  Other coaches have done the same for other players.  I can't agree with just dismissing the guy and telling him good luck elsewhere just yet.  First of all, if he did something wrong and truly wants to make up for it, then he might turn out to be a better person because of it.  Certainly, there are "lost causes" but I don't think Beverly is one of those.  Maybe that might change, but right now, I say keep him around and see if this can't make him into a better man.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

AckaBacka

Wow, a lot of bible verses.  Ok.  We can break this whole thing down to a simple question for Beverly. 

"Whither goest thou?"

-John Chapter 13, verse 36

PS-I am all about giving Bev a second chance.  I never said otherwise.  I just want to know if he wants to be here.

RJ_May

The stuff(transferring) you mention happened last year. So what if the kid wanted to transfer and play for the coach who recruited him. Most recruits who leave their home state usually plays for a coach not the school. Heath was probably like a father figure to Pbev, and if that's the case I could understand why he'd want to play for him. Some of you forget that these are kids.

Clark W Grishawg

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 19, 2008, 02:16:08 pm
If you are talking about the 93-94 Razorback team, they won the national championship. If you are talking about the 94-95 team they were national runnersup. What else would you like to know?
What else would you like to know?