Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roundtable: Can Arkansas Bounce Back?

Started by ArKan5a5 KiD, August 16, 2008, 04:28:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArKan5a5 KiD

Pretty good read on Arkansas basketball and the job Pelphrey is doing in recruiting and how the lose of Beverly might not be as bad as it seems.....

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=838464

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

PorkSoda

Losing Beverly is definitely going to hurt in the short term, but regardless we are building for the future.  I'm not sure what would have been worse; losing Beverly or Fortson.  It will be very interesting to see how these young players rise to the challenge this year.  If Pelphrey can continue to add talent in the next couple years, this team should be a contender by year 3.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bells Paulsy

To me, the loss of Forston would have been much more devastating. The future of the program is more my focus. I'm planning on seeing some exciting basketball next year, but I also don't expect great things from the squad for a couple seasons.

claycohog

I have no expectations whatsoever for this basketball team.  Anything we do well this year will be positive and something to build upon.  Hopefully this will be the last time our program is in this situation.  Go hogs!

harmonyhog

I am looking for 16 wins, and a bid to the NIT. This young team will lose at Mo. State and South Alabama. Looks bad against TX and OK also. About 6 wins in the SEC. Team will be better by the latter part of the season.

porky_teh_pig

Beverly played second tier on a barely decent team last year.  I know he was 2nd in this and that but this team was boring.  I hope his play compared to the players around him.  On a good team Beverly would have been on the bench for considerable minutes with that play.  Yes, I read the thread about him tearing it up in King James league this summer but we need real game proven players.

I invite Bev back but with his sophomore performance, we could replace that with a freshman that is eager to play on a learning decent team.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail

cobra kai

Quote from: porky_teh_pig on August 19, 2008, 09:36:56 pm
Beverly played second tier on a barely decent team last year.  I know he was 2nd in this and that but this team was boring.  I hope his play compared to the players around him.  On a good team Beverly would have been on the bench for considerable minutes with that play.  Yes, I read the thread about him tearing it up in King James league this summer but we need real game proven players.

I invite Bev back but with his sophomore performance, we could replace that with a freshman that is eager to play on a learning decent team.

You gotta be kidding me...  You don't consider Beverly a "game proven player"?  SEC freshman of the year who had slightly lower numbers shooting his sophomore year - but still, he did so many other things to help us win last year besides scoring.  He will not be replaced instantly, I assure you, and we will definitely miss his presence on the court.

pitbull1

Either way this is team is going to be fun to watch.  Going to miss Beverly, but whatever, it happens.....

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: cobra kai on August 20, 2008, 01:37:36 am
You gotta be kidding me...  You don't consider Beverly a "game proven player"?  SEC freshman of the year who had slightly lower numbers shooting his sophomore year - but still, he did so many other things to help us win last year besides scoring.  He will not be replaced instantly, I assure you, and we will definitely miss his presence on the court.

I agree 100%.  At one point in SEC play he was averaging over 10 boards a game...as a guard.   He cried when we beat Missy St. in the quarterfinals of the SEC tourney his freshman year.   He dove for every loose ball, even ones he had no chance of touching.  I think it's fascinating how quickly people are throwing Patrick under the bus.   Nothing would make me happier than this kid sitting out for a year, paying his dues, and then coming back in 2009 to redeem his pride. 

porky_teh_pig

Quote from: cobra kai on August 20, 2008, 01:37:36 am

Beverly was the only player we had the last two years.  Of course he will have some numbers that stick out, especially his first year.  Teams saw that he was our only player and controlled his scoring his second year. 

Game proven player?  I agree that his freshman campaign can relate to this but to me a game proven player steps up every year.  I hope he proves me wrong in the coming years but I seriousily have a down outlook about him.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail