Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs ranked #108 in preseason preview

Started by Adam Stokes, August 15, 2008, 02:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

The Hogs came in ranked #108 in Collegehoopsnet yearly Top 144 preason poll.  They have us ranked 10th in the SEC and 5th in the west.  And he wrote the article thinking Beverly would be coming back too.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2008/

Razorod

how will this projection impact fan expectations?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Oliver

Quote from: Razorod on August 15, 2008, 03:26:08 pm

After losing Beverley, I figured we'd finish about 4th or 5th in the SEC West.  So I guess it doesn't impact my view much.

PotBelliedPig29

"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

razorhead94

Notice that this writer says the past couple of seasons this team has not gotten to where many people expected them to and underachieved and so he kind of thinks this team is going to underachieve too even though they are totally different players.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Porky861

Quote from: razorhead94 on August 15, 2008, 04:31:12 pm
Notice that this writer says the past couple of seasons this team has not gotten to where many people expected them to and underachieved and so he kind of thinks this team is going to underachieve too even though they are totally different players.

Great point.  I don't think he's giving the new recruits near enough respect.  I can't bring myself to believe that we can't at least make the NIT.  I hope this crap motivates them as much as it will coach Pel.

Hogginitall

We will end the season ranked higher than that.  If we get Fortson and/or Henry cleared, we will make the NIT AT THE VERY LEAST.

HotlantaHog

I think we'll be better that that. The apt comparison may be to Florida last year, where a bunch of youngsters struggled and in the end didn't make the NCAAs. I think the young Hogs will be on the bubble most of the year, and we'll have better idea of whether they may make the Tourney once the games begin.

chiefsfan

We may not make the NCAA's.   But if we could make an NIT Semifinals run, I think alot of folks would take that
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 26, 2008, 11:39:55 am
We may not make the NCAA's.   But if we could make an NIT Semifinals run, I think alot of folks would take that
Wish Heath would have taken us to the NIT's that one year.  Probably would have done alot for those young players.  Though at that point in the season we couldn't dribble inside the three point line if someone put a zone on us.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: RanSolo on August 26, 2008, 01:45:40 pm
Wish Heath would have taken us to the NIT's that one year.  Probably would have done alot for those young players.  Though at that point in the season we couldn't dribble inside the three point line if someone put a zone on us.
I remember being thankful for that miserable season being over. Under different circumstances, though, wouldn't mind seeing Hogs play in the NIT.

cosmodrum

August 26, 2008, 03:01:45 pm #12 Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:04:52 pm by cosmodrum
Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 26, 2008, 11:57:04 am
How can one predict a class of under-achievers that have never played one minute of college ball?  Is he saying that in reference to our leadership?

I doubt he has researched that much. Probably just sees the word "Arkansas," check where we finished the past couple of years, and came up with his projection.

Then again, maybe he's a mad genius, I don't know.

Oh and did we really "under-acheive" last year? I mean, we had an entirely new staff, new system, and a group of players that Pel did not recruit. I think we finished about where we should have...one of the last 32 teams standing.
Go away, batin'

aristotle

What do you expect? We lost...well...everybody of production from last year's team. Washington and Welsh are the only guys with any real experience.

But take heart. Preseason in basketball means nothing. In football, it biases the whole season. But basketball, it's nothing. They simply don't know how to rank a team like us....we have nothing for them to grade or go by.

porky_teh_pig

This isn't a Heath season we're looking at.  These young recruits will learn fast and early.  I'm excited about a new bunch starting in Pel's system.  Sure, with present expectations an NIT appearance will be an accomplishment but I surmise this team will surprise. (rapper wanna be) 

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to this style of basketball with a group of young players.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail

Tomhog™

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 26, 2008, 03:01:45 pm
Oh and did we really "under-acheive" last year? I mean, we had an entirely new staff, new system, and a group of players that Pel did not recruit. I think we finished about where we should have...one of the last 32 teams standing.

In some way we did.  Arkansas should have won the West last year, but didn't.  Though they did get past the first round of the NCAAs.  That was a big step forward.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 28, 2008, 10:23:48 am
In some way we did.  Arkansas should have won the West last year, but didn't.  Though they did get past the first round of the NCAAs.  That was a big step forward.

Yeah, we should have won a weak SEC-W, that's for sure.
Go away, batin'

spahoopsfan

I think people think alot of freshmen players and think losing record.  In basketball more than any other sport freshmen play just as well as juniors.  What I mean is they have played against quality players for years in AAU.  Football freshmen don't get that chance.  Therefore, freshmen basketball players as a rule have a huge impact.  I believe if our front court can rebound and play defense our backcourt, freshmen or not will produce.  We should never be ranked lower than 50, ever.

porky_teh_pig

Quote from: spahoopsfan on August 28, 2008, 01:02:18 pm
I think people think alot of freshmen players and think losing record.  In basketball more than any other sport freshmen play just as well as juniors.  What I mean is they have played against quality players for years in AAU.  Football freshmen don't get that chance.  Therefore, freshmen basketball players as a rule have a huge impact.  I believe if our front court can rebound and play defense our backcourt, freshmen or not will produce.  We should never be ranked lower than 50, ever.

I have to disagree.  AAU ball is supported by parent money also, it's not always the best talent.  Don't get me wrong, AAU is the ticket but I don't believe that is the only venue to look at because a lot of AAU players flop in college.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail

Prosciutto

Quote from: Razorod on August 15, 2008, 03:26:08 pm

CBS sportsline ranks us at 34.