Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008-2009 Basketball Team

Started by BFGHawg, August 09, 2008, 03:51:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BFGHawg

Well, we lost out top recruit (in my opinion) to Texas and our top returning player to grades (I think).  We lost our top JC recruit to grades and it looks like two of our freshman recruits may have grade problems.  I'm reminded of the Nolan Richardson days.  He recruited several marginal students and some who were not good citizens.  The top programs don't waste their time with these type of players, that's the reason they are available to second or third tier programs.  I'm beginning to doubt Pel's credibility.  He just told us everyone was good to go with grades.  We'll see if he's correct about the two questionable freshmen!  Does anyone remember Nolan's recruiting class for 1996?  It was highly rated until it was decimated by grades and character.  That started the downfall of his program.  I hope Pel suceeds. but he's off to a staggering start it seems to me.     

Porkatarian

Quote from: BFGHawg on August 09, 2008, 03:51:26 pm
Well, we lost out top recruit (in my opinion) to Texas and our top returning player to grades (I think).  We lost our top JC recruit to grades and it looks like two of our freshman recruits may have grade problems.  I'm reminded of the Nolan Richardson days.  He recruited several marginal students and some who were not good citizens.  The top programs don't waste their time with these type of players, that's the reason they are available to second or third tier programs.  I'm beginning to doubt Pel's credibility.  He just told us everyone was good to go with grades.  We'll see if he's correct about the two questionable freshmen!  Does anyone remember Nolan's recruiting class for 1996?  It was highly rated until it was decimated by grades and character.  That started the downfall of his program.  I hope Pel suceeds. but he's off to a staggering start it seems to me.     

We did lose a very highly rated recruit from Texas to the Longhorns.   I thought we had him as well. 

Regardless of the speculation regarding Beverly, I can assure you that Pel did the right thing for the program, even if it's may cost him a few losses this season.

Pel doesn't waste his time recruiting questionable citizens.   He's building the program the right way.   We'll probably sign an awesome PF, a freakish athlete with a nice shot, who also plays PF, a blue chip PG, and a highly rated 6'6" juco swingman.

The sky isn't falling.   In fact, even though it's hard to see right now, the future is brighter than it has been in a long time.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

murtismx

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 09, 2008, 03:58:24 pm
We did lose a very highly rated recruit from Texas to the Longhorns.   I thought we had him as well. 

Regardless of the speculation regarding Beverly, I can assure you that Pel did the right thing for the program, even if it's may cost him a few losses this season.

Pel doesn't waste his time recruiting questionable citizens.   He's building the program the right way.   We'll probably sign an awesome PF, a freakish athlete with a nice shot, who also plays PF, a blue chip PG, and a highly rated 6'6" juco swingman.

The sky isn't falling.   In fact, even though it's hard to see right now, the future is brighter than it has been in a long time.

Porkatarian out...
You sir are correct!  The future is brighter even without Beverly.  Can't wait til fall practices start in October.

murtismx

Also I rather be losing top recruits at the end than to never had been in the running to begin with.  We used to lose top recruits all the time with Nolan.  Example: Hardaway chose Memphis over Arkansas. So it has happened before and will probably happen again.  :razorback:

otishog

Quote from: BFGHawg on August 09, 2008, 03:51:26 pm

He's been here for a year.  Maybe you should give him a couple more and see how things shake out with his team before you bail out.

BFGHawg

I'm not about to bail and I still have high hopes for the program and Pel.  I also realize he needs a few years to rebuild.  Todays recruits know nothing of our winning tradition - most of it is too far in the past.  The top guys want to go to a program that is currently winning big.  I just wish Pel could land at least one top 25 player to help get the program moving.  I like what I think is his concept of the type of players and the style of play he desires.  I believe he wants to create a team that looks like the one he played on at KY - a lot of long players pressuring the ball 94 feet.

sirhog

One thing about the guys he is bringing in is that most of them are decent or better 3 point shooters. Hopefully we will have some guys that hit the 3 on consistent basis even with the line being moved back.

PotBelliedPig29

I agree with you somewhat BFGHawg, but lets not forget that Pel got Marshaun Powell to re-committ to us. He is a top 30 player. We will be alright.
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

The_Iceman

i think we are going to be alright.

mbgrulz

Technically, our best/highest rated recruit is Powell.

BleednRed87

Quote from: murtismx on August 09, 2008, 04:30:51 pm
Also I rather be losing top recruits at the end than to never had been in the running to begin with.  We used to lose top recruits all the time with Nolan.  Example: Hardaway chose Memphis over Arkansas. So it has happened before and will probably happen again.  :razorback:

Hardaway went to Memphis St. b/c Todd Day came to AR and Penny wanted to be the man wherever he went, so he went to Memphis. If Day would have gone anywhere else then Penny would have come here, but I think we made out okay with Todd Day...

porky_teh_pig

The players that chose to be Razorbacks this year knew they would get the chance to play early and often.  It will be an exciting young group.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail