Do You Tailgate . . .

• Only in Fayetteville - - 79 (30.3%)
  • Only in Little Rock - - 26 (10%)
  • Both Places - - 128 (49%)
  • I Never Tailgate - - 21 (8%)
  • What's tailgating? - - 7 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 256

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tailgating in Fayetteville  (Read 8825 times)

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
Tailgating in Fayetteville
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:31:14 pm »

I do NOT want to set off round 345,678,987 of the GSD debate. I am just curious about the atmosphere of tailgating Fayetteville. I have observed over the years that, whatever people think of where games should be played, tailgating in LR is closer to the SEC standard than the Fayetteville games.

I'm curious about several things. 1) Why is tailgating in Fayetteville not usually as robust as at other SEC campuses? 2) Do you think things are moving in the direction of a better tailgating scene in Fayetteville 3) What can be done to make Fayetteville more comparable to the scenes at Florida, Auburn, Bama, LSU, etc.

For better or worse, there is a direct relationship between the tailgating scene and the stadium atmosphere. Fayetteville has gotten a lot better in the past few years, and I hope it continues in that direction. I'm interested to know if you all tailgate regularly in Fayetteville and if you have any thoughts on how to improve it (or how to get more people to participate). For that matter, I may be completely off-base in my impression that LR tailgating is much more widespread. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. It's just something I've been wondering about. For my money, I love tailgating in both places, and I think people who don't spend the whole day around campus are missing out!

razorback3072

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Adam Brown- Navy SEAL, Hog Fan, Hero RIP Chief
Re: Tailgating in Fayetteville
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:55:29 pm »

It's good it's just spread out all over campus whereas in LR it's right there on the golf course by the stadium. The pavillion area is open to anyone but you have to pay to use the pavillion itself

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Lard

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:58:43 pm »

WMS is a dump and is not on campus.....all games should be played in RRS! 

Now to your question.........I don't tailgate at all.  I live in Fayetteville so I just cookout at my house usually with my whole family (parents, brothers, cousins, etc as we all go to the games) and then we make our way to the stadium about 1.5 hours before the game.

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:59:45 pm »

I would say that tailgating in fayetteville has gotten way better in the past eight to ten years. From Baum stadium all the way to the other side of Razorback stadium, you cannot find many spots without tailgaters. The parking lots obviously are full of tailgaters. The Pit is one of the craziest places and the most fun.

Personally, I tailgate in the free parking lot across the street from Baum, and that area has gotten to be one of the best tailgating areas, with (it seems like) more people every year. Also, the area by Fayetteville HS has become increasingly full of tailgaters. I think it's finally catching on in fayetteville and we are becoming a true SEC-type atmosphere. Not quite like Bama or LSU, but definitely going in the right direction.

I do think more people should adopt the attitude of seeing the entire gameday experience as an event, not just showing up for the game.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 03:02:36 pm »

Yeah, I agree that Fayetteville has really gotten much better. The areas you mention, plus several others see plenty of tailgating action. I am sure for the Florida and Ole Miss games, it will be a pretty raucous scene this fall. The excitement of Petrino alone should be enough to boost tailgating.

Clint Alan

• The right hand man
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 03:08:57 pm »

Ill put it like this......Tailgating is as fun as you want it.......I believe, I could take my bunch out to the middle of the woods, 20 miles from the stadium, and we would have a dam good time before the game anyway......

Its just perception.......and the look of the tailgate area in LR that gets the nod, IMO.......Thats why its just a perception, that LR has better tailgating.....

Tailgating is only as good as you, and your pals make it........

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:11:35 pm »

Ill put it like this......Tailgating is as fun as you want it.......I believe, I could take my bunch out to the middle of the woods, 20 miles from the stadium, and we would have a dam good time before the game anyway......

Its just perception.......and the look of the tailgate area in LR that gets the nod, IMO.......Thats why its just a perception, that LR has better tailgating.....

Tailgating is only as good as you, and your pals make it........

Yeah, I agree with this. That's why tailgating has gotten so much bigger in fayetteville recently. The people who try it have so much fun they tend to make it a tradition. Cold beer, good food, friends, family, and football. What could be a better way to spend a day?

Clint Alan

• The right hand man
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:13:31 pm »

Yeah, I agree with this. That's why tailgating has gotten so much bigger in fayetteville recently. The people who try it have so much fun they tend to make it a tradition. Cold beer, good food, friends, family, and football. What could be a better way to spend a day?

Take out the in-laws, and you cant really get a much better day than that......

Quite Frankly

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 03:16:39 pm »

As stated already, it's more spread out in Fay.  Plus the students often have their own deal right at home(dorm, frat house, off campus).

It's there.  It's just had to adapt to it's surroundings of small gaps.  All the land around the stadium is not very spacious for high concentrations. 

Heck you can't hardly even get close enough to park for a tailgate.  Much less have the room for one nearby.

But no doubt there has been a concerted effort towards more it would seem.

highcount_hog

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 03:27:26 pm »

Tailgating in the 'Ville has come a LONG way in the last 5 years.  It used to be more spread out because you had the Pit(parking lot in front of Broyles Complex), lawn across the street from RRS below Poultry Science Bldg,  and The Gardens(across street from Bud Walton Arena; where Carlson Terrace used to be.  But, over the last few years it has started filling in between all those places.  Now you have people tailgating on the west lawn of Bud Walton, and more of the frats are doing better at having tailgating activities where anyone can go.  And, there are tons of people pre-gaming in the Markham Hill neighborhood just west of the stadium(that's more of a locals things though).

We used to have a space at hogparking.com and then when the Gardens were finished we moved there.  I've really liked being over there now.  It's really nice, always crowded, a good mix of families and younger kids/students, and they have a stage with live music.

But, I have some great memories(and many forgotten ones) of pre-gaming on the golf course in L.R.  That place just got out of control since it wasn't a campus facility, and had the mentality of "anything goes" with all the rednecks.  Fayetteville seems get rid of some of those people(which is good, IMO).

BigDave70

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Beautiful Baum Stadium
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »

Fayetteville has the school atmosphere and the little rock is more like going to a NFL game

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 03:39:48 pm »

I'm glad to know the Gardens thing is working out well. It always looks like a ton of fun over there and a very nice place, too. Definitely the fact that everything seems to be "filling in" helps, and the Baum stadium area has gotten to be a lot of fun, too. Especially since the parking is free there, it's a great place for people who don't have parking passes.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:42:53 pm »

I have always wondered: other than the Pit, the Bud Walton lot, the Gardens, and Baum, are there any other major area where a lot of people tailgate? I usually am centered in the Bud Walton lot, so I never know if there is other stuff going on in various places.

Porkette

• Senior
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 03:52:56 pm »

We almost always tailgate for Fayetteville games and have a lot of fun.

I agree that it's more about preception, because the campus doesn't have one big, flat, grassy area where people spread out and tailgate in large numbers. The very thing that gives the U of A so much of its charm- the hilly terrain- also means the tailgating is not your typical campus situation. It ends up looking like fewer people than it is, but areas like the Garden have started to change that some. The trough is always a lively area to go through even if you're not parked there.

neahog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 03:54:46 pm »

I do NOT want to set off round 345,678,987 of the GSD debate. I am just curious about the atmosphere of tailgating Fayetteville. I have observed over the years that, whatever people think of where games should be played, tailgating in LR is closer to the SEC standard than the Fayetteville games.

I'm curious about several things. 1) Why is tailgating in Fayetteville not usually as robust as at other SEC campuses? 2) Do you think things are moving in the direction of a better tailgating scene in Fayetteville 3) What can be done to make Fayetteville more comparable to the scenes at Florida, Auburn, Bama, LSU, etc.

For better or worse, there is a direct relationship between the tailgating scene and the stadium atmosphere. Fayetteville has gotten a lot better in the past few years, and I hope it continues in that direction. I'm interested to know if you all tailgate regularly in Fayetteville and if you have any thoughts on how to improve it (or how to get more people to participate). For that matter, I may be completely off-base in my impression that LR tailgating is much more widespread. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. It's just something I've been wondering about. For my money, I love tailgating in both places, and I think people who don't spend the whole day around campus are missing out!

Tailgating in LR is FAR better, but he stadium sucks and it's too far from Fayetteville imho.

Tailgating in Fay would be better if we leveled the neighborhood on the west side of Razorback road and built a golf course to use for tailgating. ;)

highcount_hog

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 03:55:16 pm »

I'm glad to know the Gardens thing is working out well. It always looks like a ton of fun over there and a very nice place, too. Definitely the fact that everything seems to be "filling in" helps, and the Baum stadium area has gotten to be a lot of fun, too. Especially since the parking is free there, it's a great place for people who don't have parking passes.

i totally forgot about Baum stadium lots.  That place does have a lot of people.  Plus, the Road Hogs are close to there. 

I have always wondered: other than the Pit, the Bud Walton lot, the Gardens, and Baum, are there any other major area where a lot of people tailgate? I usually am centered in the Bud Walton lot, so I never know if there is other stuff going on in various places.

Well, you did mention a lot of places.  The house on the corner of N. Oliver, just west of the stadium has a fair amount of people tailgating.  Also, the parking lots and neighborhoods behind the Sorority and Fraternity houses on Maple have a tailgating, too.  Dickson st. is always hopping on game day as well.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

It's expensive, but I have always heard great things about HogParking. It amazes me how they get so many people into that one area, but it always looks like a great time. I like Baum because it's free to park there and tailgate, but it has honestly gotten really busy over there (which is a good thing).

Table Rocker

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 04:20:50 pm »

you'd be surprised how vast the tailgating is at fayetteville on game days. you can walk from dickson street to baum and find people tailgating all along the way. i came to school in 2000 and tailgating has improved drastically each year since then.

jhippy

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 04:40:59 pm »

Hogtailgater.com  this is a great spot to tailgate before and after games!! We love it. We are going to go all out for the ole miss game. My birthday is the 25 of oct and the hogs have promised me a win!!

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 05:20:13 pm »

I checked out the website for hogtailger.com. It looks really cool (and 30 bucks is a great price). But I can't get a handle on where it's located. Where is that big red barn?

highcount_hog

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

it's up on top of markham hill.  at least that's what fayettevillians call it.  It's also where the cross country team practices.  There is a really nice outdoor trail system up there. 

jhippy

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 06:07:42 pm »

It is less than a mile from the stadium. The free shuttle is a fun ride.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 06:42:36 pm »

The responses to the poll (showing that of the people that only tailgate in one location, Fayetteville is their preferred location) seem to indicate that I was wrong in thinking that more people tailgate in LR than the Hill. Could be that, as has been pointed out, the tailgating is more spread out in Fayetteville than in LR.

DrSwineESQ

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 07:10:23 pm »

Fayetteville has definitely improved since the stadium expansion and with all the new areas around Baum and those up at the Gardens where Carlson Terrace once stood. 

I've been tailgating, with a bunch of folks with whom I graduated, for the last 7 years just off of Dickson St, across from the Old Main lawn. We occasionally set up on the lawn with tents and such if we going to have large numbers. We just pull up and drop our stuff off, and then park nearby. Tailgating in that area has definitely picked up over the past few years as others are discovering it.  There are several groups that tailgate near us—it’s not the most happening spot around campus, but it is getting better.   

From the lawn, you get to meet a lot of folks walking up from Dickson.  IMHO, the best part of tailgating at that location, is its location on Dickson--after the game is over, all of us meet at our tailgate and occasionally do a little bar hopping.  Dickson is A BLAST after a good game--one of the things that I don’t get is how few people mention Dickson Street when talking about game day. Anyone who hasn’t experienced it is missing out. For me, tailgating is a pre- and post-game activity

While the parking lots where we tail-gate tend to be completely full 2 hours before kick off (likely because they're free), it's pretty easy to get out if you live on, or travel by way of, the east side of town.  I've left from that parking lot after walking directly from the game and been home (NE Fayetteville) in 15 minutes. 

Improvement: I think tailgating will naturally improve over time as more people find a "spot"—and that is what tailgating in Fayetteville is all about—finding a spot.   When the stadium is expanded the next time, I see the increased number of fans making it even better.  I could see a lot more people setting up tents on the Old Main lawn--the walk isn't bad at all, and usually, the buildings are open (bathrooms for the ladies). 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:21:11 pm by DrSwineESQ »

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 07:24:29 pm »

Yeah, I tend to think you are right that it can only get bigger and better. And, yes, tailgating is a pre- and post-game activity. I love to hit up some bourbon after the game. It's just more fun if we win the game. But I will have to try Dickson Street for the post-game activities.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 07:30:46 pm »

I had not heard that things were picking up over by Old Main, but that is really great to hear. I would think the spot (being close to Dickson for post-game activities) is a big plus.

Quite Frankly

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 07:38:34 pm »

As was stated, it's spread out.

DrSwineESQ

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 07:40:19 pm »

My group has grown each year, from 10 or 15 back when we started, to upwards of 50 or more for big games.  While still sparce, there are more people tailgating on the Old Main lawn each year.  We love it, because tailgating serves as a mini-class reunion several times each fall--and my group always seems to have a good time.  There aren't nearly as many groups tailgating around us as you would find in other areas--I don't want to give you the wrong impression, but the location is definitely getting more popular each year.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 07:52:04 pm »

My group has grown each year, from 10 or 15 back when we started, to upwards of 50 or more for big games.  While still sparce, there are more people tailgating on the Old Main lawn each year.  We love it, because tailgating serves as a mini-class reunion several times each fall--and my group always seems to have a good time.  There aren't nearly as many groups tailgating around us as you would find in other areas--I don't want to give you the wrong impression, but the location is definitely getting more popular each year.

Well, now that you've given away your secrets right here on Hogville, I'm sure you will be joined by some others this fall.

DrSwineESQ

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 09:16:28 pm »

I hope so...the more the merrier. 

neahog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 09:21:34 pm »

you'd be surprised how vast the tailgating is at fayetteville on game days. you can walk from dickson street to baum and find people tailgating all along the way. i came to school in 2000 and tailgating has improved drastically each year since then.
True, but that's the problem. It's nice to not have everyone so spread out. jmho

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »

Oh, another place that has been picking up steam is the lots close to Fayetteville High. I have noticed a lot more people getting in the act over there. The lot by the Lady Backs soccer stadium has a lot of people in it, too.

As far as the spreading out goes, I sort of agree that it makes it seem like not that many people tailgate when, in reality, lots of people are doing it. But the more people that get in the act, the more of a tailgate atmosphere we will have. Just with the Baum Stadium, Gardens, Pit, BWA lot, etc. getting so full, it really contributes to the overall gameday experience.

All this talk has me thinking about tailgating recipes for the fall.

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 11:31:31 pm »

One other comment: when it comes to the best gameday atmospheres, I don't think we are that far behind our conterparts. I'd say we are easily better than Kentucky, Vandy, Miss. State, USC-E, and Ole Miss. We're probably in a category with Tennessee, Georgia, and Auburn (maybe somewhat behind LSU and Florida). But the way it's growing, we could be making those "you have to tailgate here once in your life" lists in the future.

highcount_hog

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 11:35:28 pm »

I'd say LSU in a league of its own when it comes to tailgating. 

And, ever been to Ole Miss on gameday?  I know we talk bad about that place around here, but the Grove is actually a really cool "thing" they do.  Every Southerner can appreciate what goes on there.

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 11:50:25 pm »

Yeah, I agree that every southerner should have an appreciation for the uniqueness of traditions like the Grove (and it is definitely unique). My sense, though, is that the gameday experience at Ole Miss doesn't compare to the Hill. Why? Because the Grove is basically it. You are talking about a program that averages something like 50 thousand fans for conference games (one non-conference game last year drew a whopping 23,000). Everything is centered on a ten-acre lot in the middle of campus where they are actually pretty strict on drinking and there are cops crawling everywhere. It's pageantry, to be sure, but outside of the Grove, there's not much going on. In Fayetteville, you can walk from the Pit down to Baum or over to Bud Walton, the Gardens, or even Dickson Street and be completely immersed in hog calls, tailgate parties, red and white everywhere and a really unique atmosphere. Oh, and you can wear jeans and it's cool.

Also, we just have so many more people for our games. Our non-conference games get way more than their biggest games.  JMO, of course.

George S. Pigton

• Senior
  • Go Hogs Go!!
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 12:24:24 am »

We tailgate in Lot #47 west of the track on Razorback Road.  We have been there for four years
now and in the beginning there wasn't much.  We began to step it up and our neighbors began to
do the same.  Now, it is an impressive crowd.  The distances and the hills hamper the socializing
in Fayetteville compared to LRK but I would agree that you have a much better crowd now tailgating
and I anticpiate it to continue to grow as Bobby wins games. 

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2008, 01:07:16 am »

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a parking pass for a single game? I'm looking to set up tailgate with some friends in Lot 57 for one game. I would usually just set up at Baum for free, but I'd like to get a pass for that one game just for convenience. Do you pretty much just have to buy them from people who already have them to get one?

DrSwineESQ

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 12:33:15 pm »

Last year when the tickets went out there were no more parking passes issued.  you might call the Razorback foundation to make sure, but I'd bet the odds are against it.  I would look to ticket holders who have one and won't be using it for that game. 

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 12:44:54 pm »

I'm tired of tailgating in Fayetteville. Trying to get a parking pass in a good lot (not the Pit as that is not a good lot to tailgate in) is like trying to get a private visit with the Pope. And my idea of a good tailgate is not sitting in my lot (lot 40) and looking at the front of ugly Hotz Hall, the side of Maple Hill dorms, a parking lot and an elementary school across the street.

Besides, now you can't smoke a cigar and if you have any liquor showing, the cops ask you to put it up.

In LR, you have none of those hassles because it's not a university campus with all the rules and regs that come along with a university campus.

I'm tired of lugging tailgate stuff to a better spot than where we park. I think we'll start hanging out on Dickson St for a bit then sit in the bar at Carnall Hall until 45 min before kickoff. We will meander across campus and enjoy the area around the stadium for 30 min then go to our seats. Tired of packing all the gear required for tailgating and driving it from Memphis too. It's just too far for it. Too much work and I'm not going to put up with being hassled for having a bottle of vodka sitting out somewhere while tailgating on campus in Fayetteville.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 12:51:20 pm »

I just went to the hogtailgater website. Question: Why would you want to tailgate there? If you are happy tailgating there, why not just tailgate in your motel parking lot? I mean, if you aren't around the atmosphere of the campus and/or the stadium, why not just get a hotel suite and tailgate in it?

I can't see tailgating 3 miles from campus. This hogtailgater area would be the equivalent of tailgating down somewhere along Rebsamen Park Rd. in LR for football games at WMS. What's the point?

jhippy

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 01:12:59 pm »

we like it. It got bigger every game. I think the more people hear of it the better it will get. It is only .65 miles from the stadium. Like others have said, tailgating is spreed out all over. Almost every house and yard back in there has people getting ready for the HOGS. It is as close as the pit. I don't know were you got three miles from campus.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:14:41 pm by jhippy »

Quite Frankly

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 01:16:50 pm »

I'm tired of tailgating in Fayetteville. Trying to get a parking pass in a good lot (not the Pit as that is not a good lot to tailgate in) is like trying to get a private visit with the Pope. And my idea of a good tailgate is not sitting in my lot (lot 40) and looking at the front of ugly Hotz Hall, the side of Maple Hill dorms, a parking lot and an elementary school across the street.

Besides, now you can't smoke a cigar and if you have any liquor showing, the cops ask you to put it up.

In LR, you have none of those hassles because it's not a university campus with all the rules and regs that come along with a university campus.

I'm tired of lugging tailgate stuff to a better spot than where we park. I think we'll start hanging out on Dickson St for a bit then sit in the bar at Carnall Hall until 45 min before kickoff. We will meander across campus and enjoy the area around the stadium for 30 min then go to our seats. Tired of packing all the gear required for tailgating and driving it from Memphis too. It's just too far for it. Too much work and I'm not going to put up with being hassled for having a bottle of vodka sitting out somewhere while tailgating on campus in Fayetteville.

We'll be fine without you.

jhippy

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 01:25:32 pm »

Good point Quite Frankly

LoveThemHogs101

• Band Nerd
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 01:35:49 pm »

What's with the negativity on tailgating in Fayetteville, HIM? Everyone has an opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. A few points:

1) Tailgating is what you make of it.
2) The Pit is actually really hopping on gameday. I know people who insist there is no better place to tailgate than the Pit due to its proximit to the stadium and the fact that nearly every single parking spot is filled with tailgaters of one variety or another.
3) As was pointed out, the space for hogtailgater.com is .65 miles from the stadium. At the best SEC tailgating stadiums, people are tailgating up to two and three miles around the stadium on all sides. That's what makes it impressive. If it were just seven people right by the stadium entrance, it wouldn't be SEC tailgating. You'd be at a Big Ten game instead. :)
4) As I said, I tailgate down by Baum, which has to be at least .65 miles from the stadium. And everyone there has their tents and flags up, going crazy and getting ready for the game. How far is Old Main from the stadium? The Bud Walton lots? Even the Gardens? .65 miles is not that far.
5) The first point bears repeating again: tailgating is what you make of it. Personally, I am counting the days till the first Hog tailgate of the season.

Quite Frankly

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 01:42:09 pm »

What's with the negativity on tailgating in Fayetteville, HIM? Everyone has an opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. A few points:

1) Tailgating is what you make of it.
2) The Pit is actually really hopping on gameday. I know people who insist there is no better place to tailgate than the Pit due to its proximit to the stadium and the fact that nearly every single parking spot is filled with tailgaters of one variety or another.
3) As was pointed out, the space for hogtailgater.com is .65 miles from the stadium. At the best SEC tailgating stadiums, people are tailgating up to two and three miles around the stadium on all sides. That's what makes it impressive. If it were just seven people right by the stadium entrance, it wouldn't be SEC tailgating. You'd be at a Big Ten game instead. :)
4) As I said, I tailgate down by Baum, which has to be at least .65 miles from the stadium. And everyone there has their tents and flags up, going crazy and getting ready for the game. How far is Old Main from the stadium? The Bud Walton lots? Even the Gardens? .65 miles is not that far.
5) The first point bears repeating again: tailgating is what you make of it. Personally, I am counting the days till the first Hog tailgate of the season.

To expound on my post from just above, this is the proof.

Wherever there is a spot, someone will take it.  One falls out, others fill in.

Go Hogs Go!

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 01:48:14 pm »

My two cents: tailgating is not just about being right outside the stadium. Ever been to an Auburn or Alabama game? You will see masses of tailgaters long before you ever see the stadium. And that's how it should be, IMO. We are really moving in that direction. You could be on the total opposite end of Razorback Rd down by Baum and see tons of tents and people. Or you could be (god forbid!) .65 miles from the stadium at the hogtailgater area, which by the way is not just the lot affiliated with the web site. There are lots of people tailgating outside the houses all up and down that area. In  any event, you will see tons of people long before you hit the stadium. Fayetteville High rents out parking space and pavilions that draw lots of people, and that's not especially close to the stadium. The point is tailgating is about creating an atmosphere of the whole 2-3 mile area around the stadium and campus. And, the objections of HIM notwithstanding, I think we're definitely moving in the right direction.

DrSwineESQ

• Senior
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:19 pm »

I went with a group of friends to the Ole Miss game last year.  We parked about a half-mile from the grove and walked--that was about as close as we could get.  Everyone walks to the Grove in Oxford, as cars are not permitted in the area for tailgating, and it's considered one of the best tailgating experiences in the country.   Despite having to lug tents and such from who knows how far away, I didn't see an empty spot in the Grove.  It was a great experience.   

I'm not saying HIM should do anything that doesn't suit him, but hauling stuff to a better tailgating area isn't unique to Fayetteville.  Heck, at the USC game in LA, we ended up tailgating in a parking garage 15 minutes away from the stadium with scores of USC fans.   

highcount_hog

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »

it's definitely what you make of it.  and, from where I've been and what I've seen everyone else is having just as good a time tailgating in Fayetteville as any other SEC venue.

jhippy

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 03:29:06 pm »

Never been an issue and we do some drinkin

HoginHouston

• Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 03:52:02 pm »

Patrick: Yeah, I have heard they are not especially strict with that at hogtailgater (they probably just put it on the website to protect themselves). But down at Baum, you can be as intoxicated as you like and no worries at all. Like you, that's the way I prefer it. :) :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Partnered with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas