Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My concern about Beverley . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 09, 2008, 10:56:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

***Disclaimer . . . I am NOT making any acusations, or saying I have any knowledge of ANY impropriety. I'm just stating MY concerns.***

That said, my "gut feel" is that there is something beyond simply the impact of Patrick not playing for Arkansas here. And I can't help but remember that the mother of Patrick's child took him to court for not paying child support (about a year ago??), and at that time she claimed Patrick had gotten money from an agent. I don't remember the particulars of how that was resolved at the time, because, of course, he did go on to play for us last season. And - again I have no knowledge of any of this and am NOT saying that happened or is likely to have happened - just pointing out that there is some smoke . . .

When something happens as abruptly as this did - with Pelphrey obviously blindsided, based on his statements just the day before about this year's teams being built around it's three juniors (including Beverley), you have to be concerned and consider many possible scenarios.  We should all triple-cross our fingers that this has nothing to do with an agent, or we could be in big trouble . . .

Smithian

That's an experience from hell possibility, but I doubt it.

Porkatarian

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 09, 2008, 10:56:25 am
***Disclaimer . . . I am NOT making any acusations, or saying I have any knowledge of ANY impropriety. I'm just stating MY concerns.***

That said, my "gut feel" is that there is something beyond simply the impact of Patrick not playing for Arkansas here. And I can't help but remember that the mother of Patrick's child took him to court for not paying child support (about a year ago??), and at that time she claimed Patrick had gotten money from an agent. I don't remember the particulars of how that was resolved at the time, because, of course, he did go on to play for us last season. And - again I have no knowledge of any of this and am NOT saying that happened or is likely to have happened - just pointing out that there is some smoke . . .

When something happens as abruptly as this did - with Pelphrey obviously blindsided, based on his statements just the day before about this year's teams being built around it's three juniors (including Beverley), you have to be concerned and consider many possible scenarios.  We should all triple-cross our fingers that this has nothing to do with an agent, or we could be in big trouble . . .

You are close to being on the right track, but your details a somewhat off.  There are several factors at play here.  Losing Beverly is very disappointing, but we're not in danger of any trouble with the NCAA.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 09, 2008, 11:16:34 am
You are close to being on the right track, but your details a somewhat off.  There are several factors at play here.  Losing Beverly is very disappointing, but we're not in danger of any trouble with the NCAA.

Porkatarian out...

Porktarian could you shed anymore light on the situation, from what I have read on this thread I would have to say that it could have something to do with the child support, but not with an agent. If he had any contact with an agent or had recieved anything at all from an agent I would say we could be in troublt with the NCAA, but if you say we are not Porktarian I believe you. So are you leaning more to it being problems with the baby's momma.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

fdems

straight up  forward its going to hurt the team without beverly but pelphrey will pull something out of his hat and we'll have a good year without him.

newhog

Porkatarian is right it is not going to be an NCAA problem,trust him and just let it die.It had nothing to do with drugs or drinking or child support.Just a mistake.He has paid for it enough.Let it go.

Let it go and get over it are two phrases I wish we could stop using on Hogville.  Surely there are better phrases that could be used.  I for one want to know exactly what happened just because I am a human and as a Hog fan, I was depending on Bev to be a huge producer for our team.  Actually, its none of my business, but I am curious.

newhog

Actually it is none of our business,it is the teams problem we just go and watch them play.

newhog

cobra kai

Whatever the situation, I wish Bev the best, and hope he gets everything turned around.  His presence on the court will be missed for sure...

RZRBack_FAN

Any possibility he will ever play for the Razorbacks again?

opineonswine

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 09, 2008, 10:56:25 am

It has nothing to do with an agent.

Hognum P.I.

Maybe he saw what the Jennings kid (AZ recruit) did in going to Europe, and since the draft was not an option he needs to get a "job" to pay his child support.  Just throwing something out there.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

porky_teh_pig

At first I thought his sophomore semi-slump was due to playing to much during the summer but now I'm thinking he had things on his mind.

Mentally he has been leaving the team for over a year now, IMO.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail

r8zrbck

sounds like it has been brewing for awhile -- he posted something on his facebook account awhile back

Pickled Pig

Threads like these are proof-positive that one can find little to no accurate information in a forum like this one. There's so much misinformation on this board it is unbelievable.

But it is pretty entertaining to read posts (knowing they're inaccurate) from people who actually believe they have inside information, or who want others to think they do. It's even funnier to read someone else post, 'Listen to _______. He knows what he's talking about.'

TomasPistola

Quote from: Pickled Pig on August 12, 2008, 12:39:09 am
Threads like these are proof-positive that one can find little to no accurate information in a forum like this one. There's so much misinformation on this board it is unbelievable.

But it is pretty entertaining to read posts (knowing they're inaccurate) from people who actually believe they have inside information, or who want others to think they do. It's even funnier to read someone else post, 'Listen to _______. He knows what he's talking about.'

So Why are you here?

And by the way. OpineonSwine is an extremly reliable source of information. I do trust his information. Or in your words "He knows what he's talking about"
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

ProfusionalHog

Corkscrew Johnson

I agree that something smells off.  Not because of any of the rumors I have been hearing, but for the simple fact that I've been hearing rumors for 3 months about him not playing for us next season. 

sirhog

I wish we would have known sooner. Maybe we could have used that to get Bassett.

stronguard

Quote from: sirhog on August 12, 2008, 04:24:07 pm
I wish we would have known sooner. Maybe we could have used that to get Bassett.

PBev has known that he would not be playing since the end of spring semester.  So has everyone else invovled.  Though none will admit it.  JP may have had his fingers crossed that things would turn out differently than they did, but he knew that PBev's Razorback career was most likely over.   

Was he a good player?  Yes.  Was he great? No.  Very streaky, difficult to get a favorable defensive mathcup, and quite frankly not that good of a ball handler or passer.  He wouldn't be among the 25 best Razorbacks of all time.   So while I mourn his loss from a experience standpoint, I look forward to going out and getting a more talented player to fill his spot. 

This whole thing with PBev is a blessing in disguise.  The situation helped Jeff Long weed out some of the undesirable folks that have for too long been associated with Razorback athletics.  And I'm not talking about PBev.  The manner with which this was handled astounds me.  Almost completely without fanfare, and the timing between announcements makes them seem unrelated.

The more JL does with our program them more I am impressed with his ability to lead.  I think we have found a real gem with JL.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

cobra kai

August 13, 2008, 12:39:23 am #22 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:04:53 am by cobra kai
QuotePBev has known that he would not be playing since the end of spring semester.  So has everyone else invovled.  Though none will admit it.  JP may have had his fingers crossed that things would turn out differently than they did, but he knew that PBev's Razorback career was most likely over.

Well, I guess we'll just have to take your word for it...

QuoteWas he a good player?  Yes.  Was he great? No.  Very streaky, difficult to get a favorable defensive mathcup, and quite frankly not that good of a ball handler or passer.  He wouldn't be among the 25 best Razorbacks of all time.   So while I mourn his loss from a experience standpoint, I look forward to going out and getting a more talented player to fill his spot.

While I admit that he wasn't as consistent from outside as his fresh year (42.7% from the field in 06-07 / 41.2% in 07-08), PB did plenty of other things on the court to help us win games.  And who's to say how good he could have been had he stuck around for his last 2 years?  Afterall, he was SEC freshman of the year.  Not to mention the fact that he held his own with Chris Paul this summer.

QuoteThis whole thing with PBev is a blessing in disguise.  The situation helped Jeff Long weed out some of the undesirable folks that have for too long been associated with Razorback athletics.  And I'm not talking about PBev.  The manner with which this was handled astounds me.  Almost completely without fanfare, and the timing between announcements makes them seem unrelated.

Blessing in disguise?  I wonder if our coach would agree with you on that one?  And I'm Not sure who those "undesirables" are... 
All I know is that I can find nothing positive in losing our best player...

Razorod

we may be learning a little more about why Altman said thanks but no thanks to the hogs. there were rumblings that he learned about some things once he got down here that made him very uncomfortable. some of those things may be coming to light.

the real problem for the past decade or more was broyles. he's gone now, but it's going to take some time to get things back on track in both fb and bb.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.