Beverley leaving hoops team (link)

Started by The Hog Blogger, August 08, 2008, 06:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cmiller01

Maybe he was a fan of the old logo on the court? =\

Hollywood_HOGan45

alright fortson and henry better be eligible

Marshfieldhog

If Forstson or Henry is not eligible it's going to be a long year, probably not a good idea to raise ticket prices either. Not getting Shawn Williams and losing PBev in the same day is a blow to the program. Seems like we take one step forward and two steps back in bball in the last decade.

jeffreyw

Hold on hold on... For a time he was our leading rebounder and he always brought it 100% - each game. Do not forget 2 years ago he was SEC Soph. of the Year. A new coach comes in, so you know there is going to be an implementation dip. He has played against NBA talent this summer. You are quick to write him off because of a few grades. C'mon folks- you are making yourselves look like idiots.

If he goes to S. Florida I will be ticked.

Pignominious

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 08, 2008, 07:15:32 pm
Just my opinion. but i think it's time to wish PB the best and move on. i like the kid and hopes he does well. but it's time to recruite better players and move on.

True.  I liked Patrick and I wish him well, enjoyed watching him play.  We might be lucky to be NITing it this year.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: heathtits on August 08, 2008, 07:38:08 pm
This is just great. How perfect that we JUST gave Pel a freaking raise. If we lose 1 of Henry or Fortson as well, WE ARE SCREWED. We already are pretty much there losing Beverley. This is truly a shame.

Please tell us, WTH giving Pel a raise would have to do with this situation ?
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Hoggy1

Fortson and Henry WILL be eligible.

Not counting my chickens yet though....
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Redbug

Sounds like Bev spent TOO MUCH TIME playing summer pickup games w LeBron & Co instead of making grades this summer.....well maybe he can catch on in one of the smaller euro/asian leagues and make decent $$$....

razorbrass

Quote from: Spiral_cut on August 08, 2008, 06:44:22 pm
Does anyone here think he is good enough to play professionally anywhere? Say Europe?

I think Patrick believes he is NBA material.  Maybe he can join Olu if he is lucky.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

3kgthog

Well, there goes our most hard nosed player and best rebounder. You don't lose that and not feel it in the loss column a couple of times. At least it's an extra scholarship for next year and hopefully we can finally get this team 100% together and on board with what Pelphrey is telling them about hard work.

toshortrock

o well , life goes on,wish he was still here,,but hey,,let it go
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Sow’sEar

sharper than a serpent's tooth, sharper than a serpent's tooth.

farmhawg

Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 08, 2008, 06:45:47 pm
I don't think he has NBA Talent.  He's one of those players that had good college level talent but will probably end up someplace in Europe.
College talent with an NBA ego.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Lard

Beverley left after his freshman year.  I don't know who that was in his body last year!
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

dunnhead

Quote from: Lard on August 08, 2008, 09:31:09 pm
Beverley left after his freshman year.  I don't know who that was in his body last year!

If by "left after his freshmen year" you mean "he was the leading rebounder (despite being a guard), the 2nd leading scorer, busted it every play, encouraged his teammates, and played good defense" then I'd have to agree with you.

chiefsfan

Well the good news is that we dont have to worry about not having enough scholarships for the next recruiting class now   ;D

But we are going to really stink this year I have a bad feeling.  we're looking at a starting backcourt of all freshmen  and a starting front court that averaged about 4PPG last year.     On the bright side, Fortson and Clarke will get lots of playing time
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hogtropolis™

August 08, 2008, 10:52:23 pm #67 Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:54:04 pm by Hogtropolis™
Quote from: Kevin on August 08, 2008, 06:16:02 pm
sorry he is leaving, but i think we are still in good shape.
Quote from: The Original 69 on August 08, 2008, 06:29:35 pm
He was overated.
Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on August 08, 2008, 06:30:37 pm
We will be fine without him....
Quote from: hawgpharmer on August 08, 2008, 06:38:13 pm
I dont think we will miss him at all.  He never wanted to play in Pel's scheme, imho.
Quote from: TransAmHawg on August 08, 2008, 06:42:38 pm
We'll be fine, goodbye Mr. Beverley
Are you guys crazy.  Losing Beverly will be the difference in us making the NCAAT and having a shot at making the NIT.

When you lose a player like that along with the rest of the seniors that left, you just can't rebound no matter how good a coach you have or how good the players you recruit are.  Florida showed that last year, and they had better freshman talent than we are going to have this upcoming year.  It's going to be a rough year guys, so buckle up and hold on.

Pickled Pig

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 08, 2008, 08:52:25 pm
Well, there goes our most hard nosed player and best rebounder. You don't lose that and not feel it in the loss column a couple of times. At least it's an extra scholarship for next year and hopefully we can finally get this team 100% together and on board with what Pelphrey is telling them about hard work.

His scholarship isn't freed up by this; this has no effect on his scholarship status unless he leaves. There's no "extra" scholarship.

Also, he didn't flunk out.

Pickled Pig

Quote from: hawgpharmer on August 08, 2008, 06:23:28 pm
Is that the last of Stan's players??? 
Happy trails patrick

Damn straight. Who needs the former SEC Freshman of the year, most experienced player, and top returning starter anyway (?).

brillianT.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: maumellebyrd on August 08, 2008, 06:14:41 pm
He should be good in math class

One baby + One baby = Two babies
+1
that's very true
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

cityhog

bonedoc

This is a big hit, no matter how much we try to make ourselves feel ok about it.  Patrick, thanks for all your effort and enthusiasm and nice representation of our program during your time here.  I wish you well!!!!

cobra kai

August 08, 2008, 11:40:57 pm #73 Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 01:33:04 am by cobra kai
I can't believe some of the replies on here.  Just because he didn't shoot quite as consistent as his freshman year people have written him off.  Averaged 12 a game and was our leading rebounder among the many other things he did to help us win games.   He always played his butt off and at times, was the only player on the floor showing any intensity.
He will be missed for sure - you can bet on it.

I am truly shocked if this really is an academic issue - really sounded like he was getting his act together this summer and was stepping up into a leadership role.

jcam61

Quote from: cobra kai on August 08, 2008, 11:40:57 pm
I can't believe some of the replies on here.  Just because he didn't shoot quite as consistent as his freshman year people have written him off.  Averaged 12 a game and was our leading rebounder among the many other things he did to help us win games.   He always played his butt off and at times, was the only player on the floor showing any intensity.
He will be missed for sure - you can bet on it.

I am truly shocked if this really is an academic issue - really sounded like he was getting his act together this summer and was stepping up into a leadership role.  Hopefully we'll see him in the spring...

You are absolutely correct...   This is a HUGE loss...   He played harder than any player we had last year.  Leading rebounder as a guard...   I mean c'mon guys do you even watch basketball??

Smithian

This is a major blow on the court, but I am happy about this overall. The Pelphrey era at Arkansas is young. Get rid of the uncommitted guys.

Doing this, you get a possible distraction off the team and can give his minutes to other players who will help us down the road. Time to get to business. As the Pelphrey era grows, I'll remember the hard work and sacrifice of guys like Michael Washington, Stefan Welsh, and others who will have stuck around through change, not the guy who jumped ship.

Patrick Beverley, I will miss you on the court, but I will be happy to look at you in the rearview mirror down the road when Pel's Hogs are kicking some serious "A".

Billy

To be honest, i know this is by no means going to help us out, but it is not the worst loss we could have suffered.

A worse loss would be losing Courtney Fortson.

Beverley's energy and leadership will be sorely missed, but his offensive ability will be made up for. He was never a guy who could create his own offense. he could knock down HORSE shots from drive and kicks, but Bev wasnt a guy that we set up isolations for. He simply lacked the ability to do those type of things.

We have other guys who can step in and replace bev in terms of shot making ability. Clarke, Welsh

Guys like Jason Henry, Mike Washington, and Mike Sanchez will have to really pick up some boards.

Montrell Mcdonald will need to be as good a defender as he was advertised to be.

No doubt about it, my anticipation of this season was dampened a bit today, but there are worse losses we could (and still might) suffer.

Porky861

We had a rough year coming anyway.  This will just let Pel get more of his guys in faster to get more banners hanging from the rafters.

Billy

i disagree that we have a rough year coming. i think it will definately be a different year than the last 3, but it will likely be much more enjoyable to watch. We will see the players of the future coming into their own. To me, there is nothing rough about that. We will lose some that we shouldn't and win some that we shouldn't, but i am still very optimisic about the BKB season...That is all contingent on Fortson and Henry being eligable though. If they dont qualify, duck.

Smithian

Like I said, Beverley will be seen as a guy who quit on this team in the hard times.

Reminds me of a Carlos Ousley.

cobra kai

August 09, 2008, 12:21:02 am #80 Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:35:13 am by cobra kai
I can't think of any positives of PB leaving - no matter how I look at it.  He was our best returning outside threat (led the team in 3-pt % last year even though he was streaky), and now we might have to totally rely on clarke for a consistent outside threat.  Hopefully Welsh will improve from the outside - he too was very streaky last year, though and did not shoot near as high percentage as Bev.

bugbee09

I was told from someone in the UA athletic department that he's headed to USF to play under Stan again, but who knows

pimphog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on August 08, 2008, 10:52:23 pm
Are you guys crazy.  Losing Beverly will be the difference in us making the NCAAT and having a shot at making the NIT.

When you lose a player like that along with the rest of the seniors that left, you just can't rebound no matter how good a coach you have or how good the players you recruit are.  Florida showed that last year, and they had better freshman talent than we are going to have this upcoming year.  It's going to be a rough year guys, so buckle up and hold on.

you are 100% correct sir

pimphog

Quote from: Billy on August 08, 2008, 11:55:50 pm
To be honest, i know this is by no means going to help us out, but it is not the worst loss we could have suffered.

A worse loss would be losing Courtney Fortson.

Beverley's energy and leadership will be sorely missed, but his offensive ability will be made up for. He was never a guy who could create his own offense. he could knock down HORSE shots from drive and kicks, but Bev wasnt a guy that we set up isolations for. He simply lacked the ability to do those type of things.

We have other guys who can step in and replace bev in terms of shot making ability. Clarke, Welsh

Guys like Jason Henry, Mike Washington, and Mike Sanchez will have to really pick up some boards.

Montrell Mcdonald will need to be as good a defender as he was advertised to be.

No doubt about it, my anticipation of this season was dampened a bit today, but there are worse losses we could (and still might) suffer.

has Courtney even made it to campus yet?  I hope he does .......we need him in the worst way!

heffy22

Quote from: razorbrass on August 08, 2008, 08:49:54 pm
I think Patrick believes he is NBA material.  Maybe he can join Olu if he is lucky.
Why?  Is he Canadian also?

rzrbcksooie

yeah i dont understand how anyone can say bev was over rated?? just because he came in as a soph more and overachieved BIG TIME and wasnt able to continue to shock people doesnt make him over rated.. he played with more heart than anyone and he played defense and rebounded... if you dont think this was a huge loss you dont know much about basketball... however if patrick was not happy playing here it is best for everyone if he isnt on the team... were pretty much starting from scratch anyways.. no one is expecting big things this coming year so let the rebuilding start

Foshodo

well damn... the only thing i like about this is it forces the two freshman guards into action... Reid/Bradley part two can begin... maybe we'll be lucky and the two bigs we are bringing in will be the next Derek Hood/Nicky Davis... who else was on that team? i forget the small forward... was it the guy thats in prison all the time now?

faulknercohog

Quote from: Foshodo on August 09, 2008, 02:34:33 am
well damn... the only thing i like about this is it forces the two freshman guards into action... Reid/Bradley part two can begin... maybe we'll be lucky and the two bigs we are bringing in will be the next Derek Hood/Nicky Davis... who else was on that team? i forget the small forward... was it the guy thats in prison all the time now?

I think Ali Thompson was on that team.

Hogimus Prime

talk about a kick in the manhood with a pair of steel toed workboots

Nashville Fan

August 09, 2008, 06:50:51 am #89 Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:31:27 pm by Nashville Fan
WTH... My understanding was that Beverly was really taking on the leadership role. Nothing good about this folks. He leaves a big void. I wish him well in life. This doesn't sound voluntary on both / either side(s).
Pittman or Bust!

newhog

You guys talking crap on Pat don't have a clue what is going on.You don't turn on someone when they make a mistake,especially a kid.He brought it for 2 years and he was reallly trying to straighten up his past just caught up with him.If you had been around him at all you would have seen that.All some of you are doing is making the Arkansas program look bad and you are adults.Let it go it is over.Hope he gets everything worked out for himself and don't forget what he has done for the university.You would be impressed with how much he has changed.Dogging him isn't doing anybody any good.Don't make Arkansas fans look bad let it go.

opineonswine

Quote from: abostian on August 08, 2008, 06:50:15 pm
Some of y'all are crazy.  Patrick had the most talent AND heart on the team.  I'm pissed!
at who?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: razorbrass on August 08, 2008, 08:49:54 pm

That is probably some of it!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

opineonswine

Quote from: hoghoopfan on August 08, 2008, 08:57:30 pm

I smell opportunity...

One of the few lucid posts in this thread.

It's college people.  Players come and go.  We are here for the long-term (as is Pel) and some things are terribly disappointing and unfortunate but they happen.

Onward and upward.

The Hog

Oh well.  Pel has to pick up the pieces and move forward.  There is no use in looking back or looking at what might have been, we play with what we have in the house.  Go Pel.
Automatic RUN!

maximus

patrick was awesome had alot of heart.  i dont dig this at all.  this is not great. 
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

sirhog

I hope it works out for him. Hopefully the freshman will step up. Should also give Welsh a lot more minutes.

RazorAg

Quote from: newhog on August 09, 2008, 08:11:55 am
You guys talking crap on Pat don't have a clue what is going on.You don't turn on someone when they make a mistake,especially a kid.He brought it for 2 years and he was reallly trying to straighten up his past just caught up with him.If you had been around him at all you would have seen that.All some of you are doing is making the Arkansas program look bad and you are adults.Let it go it is over.Hope he gets everything worked out for himself and don't forget what he has done for the university.You would be impressed with how much he has changed.Dogging him isn't doing anybody any good.Don't make Arkansas fans look bad let it go.

The types of posts you're referring to is why I don't spend much of my time on here, newhog.  I look for posts from posters like yourself and a handful of others; that's it.  Bottom line, though......there's a lot of immaturity present on this board.  Please don't let these posts represent your perception of the majority of Hog fans.

Like you said, it seems that most aren't aware of Pat's influence - on the court - on his teammates this summer.  They don't realize the passion and leadership he was showing.  I don't know the details of his leaving the team, but I do know he was setting the right tone for the team this summer.

Hogs-n-Roses

WOW! My opinion is that he was the best player/scorer we had. Maybe the only real scorer on the team. I wish he and family the best and pray we replace him with something just a good.

Smithian

Guys, yet again, our team will probably suck severely this year without him, but forget about him.

We are entering a new era of Razorback basketball where there will be newer and better players than Patrick Beverley. Beverley could have been seen as a leader of the transformation from the post-Heath era to the Pelphrey era and the return to true Razorback basketball, but he won't. This will slow the transition down, but I will remember him as a player I really liked and thought was very good, but he will always be someone who left this team as it got darkest before light.

I admire kids like Stefan Welsh and Michael Washington who, as of now, are sticking with this program and will be remembered happily by us as some of the early players in the Pelphrey regime. This isn't a time to panic, this is a time for us to buckle down and support this team through what will be a bad year. This team, like the fan base, doesn't have time to dwell on what could have been.

Have a great life Beverley.