Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog workouts are closed

Started by mikeirwin, August 07, 2005, 02:59:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

I got the word a few minutes ago. Forty years of tradition undone by man who doesn't understand the relationship that football program has with the fans.
Good luck Houston. You're gonna need it. You just cut yourself off from one of the things that has always made this program special.

Doug

I'm really sorry to hear this.  It looks like HDN's trails are leading into the sunset, and now with this, it's now a full bore gallop.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WilsonHog

I still say that's a bad PR move at a time when he doesn't need any more bad PR.

mikeirwin

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 07, 2005, 03:06:35 pm
I still say that's a bad PR move at a time when he doesn't need any more bad PR.
There will be plenty of fans who agree with this decision. They'll buy into Nutt's baloney that the players don't want to be distracted. That's the main problem I have with Houston. He thinks people can't see through his sanitized explanations for the decisions he makes. The first time he closed  practice (for one week only) a few years ago he said we were distracting the players. The players have told us privately that they couldn't care less.
Nutt is mad because cell phones have been used to report live from practice on Sports Wrap and Drive Time. He also doesn't like nat sound on TV of Herring yelling at his players.
I also suspect that he doesn't want any of you to know how preseason workouts are going. I guess he thinks if he keeps any problems secret until the first game they'll go away.
His thought process these days is baffling.

PorcineSublime

Was just thinking earlier today. If you were HDN and you had a incredible season (9-2 or better), would you cut and run while you were on top or stay and hope to carry things to the next level? We are all on here thinking that he has to do well to stay, maybe if he does well he goes for sure. Just some looking at it from another angle. BTW closed practices suck. JMO
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

CardinalHog

There's no doubt this will only hinder things for Houston, especially for those completely enraged by the Springdale 5 situation.

We can usually get a feel for the team in two-a-days, and now the media will not get that for the first time ever, really. Things just seemed tired on the Hill. Will be interesting to see how we handle this at Media Day with our questions.

piggly wiggly

Really, who cares.  Many, many programs close practices.  I'm surprised the UA's were open this long.

HOGCATCH

Kudo's to Big Mike!!! You are closer to my side than I ever gave you credit for! Nutt doesn't appear to be a coach with vision and some type of master plan?
Quote from: mikeirwin on August 07, 2005, 03:21:02 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on August 07, 2005, 03:06:35 pm
There will be plenty of fans who agree with this decision. They'll buy into Nutt's baloney that the players don't want to be distracted. That's the main problem I have with Houston. He thinks people can't see through his sanitized explanations for the decisions he makes. The first time he closed practice (for one week only) a few years ago he said we were distracting the players. The players have told us privately that they couldn't care less.
Nutt is mad because cell phones have been used to report live from practice on Sports Wrap and Drive Time. He also doesn't like nat sound on TV of Herring yelling at his players.
I also suspect that he doesn't want any of you to know how preseason workouts are going. I guess he thinks if he keeps any problems secret until the first game they'll go away.
His thought process these days is baffling.

Winning is a way of life!

toshortrock

how about this,,,lets quit the crying untill the season starts,,then if the hogs fall,,,let it rip.....
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

BluegrassRazorback

If I was HDN and was facing the national champion by game three - I think I would close some things too.

Been a Razorback fan a long time - not all change is bad - maybe this is needed to get the focus the young men need

If it fails well it fails but if it works - good

mikeirwin

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 07, 2005, 03:58:25 pm
Many big time programs have closed practices so I really don't give a crap.
I still remember why I decided to stay in Fayetteville and not try to move up to a bigger TV market. I liked the fact that I could go to practice, tell the fans what I saw and nobody tried to control my reporting. I also liked the way dads would get off work early and take their kids by practice. The crowd wasn't huge, maybe 75 or 100. But it was great to see the way the program opened it's doors to the average fan.
At some places only the media and the big shot donors get in. At some places it's only the guys with bucks. Arkansas has now become one of these places. If you drive by on Monday and look though that fence you'll see a few of the sponsors of the Nutt show out there, maybe five or six other top dogs. There's something about that that rubs me the wrong way. If they're gonna close it and it's that essential to close it then keep everybody not associated with the team OUT.

Macgyver_Hawg

Perhaps he wants Herring to be able to say what he needs to say to the players.  Last time he had the players that weren't giving 100% wear pink jerseys and we all know how that turned out after video and pictures were taken.

mikeirwin

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on August 07, 2005, 04:40:32 pm
If I was HDN and was facing the national champion by game three - I think I would close some things too.

Been a Razorback fan a long time - not all change is bad - maybe this is needed to get the focus the young men need

If it fails well it fails but if it works - good
Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, J. Crowe, Joe Kines, and Danny Ford all had open practices to either the media or the media and the fans. Did they all have the same level of success ? They all let reporters cover their workouts. If doing that caused their players to be distracted and therefore hurt the team then they all should have been unsuccessful.
Closing practice will not have one thing to do with this team winning or losing.

Macgyver_Hawg

I will say that, to me, closing practice does nothing but put pressure on coaches and the team to win.  By the time August ends fans will be extremely hungry for Razorback football.  The hunger is helped a bit by practice reports and photos.

mikeirwin

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 07, 2005, 04:47:54 pm
Perhaps he wants Herring to be able to say what he needs to say to the players. Last time he had the players that weren't giving 100% wear pink jerseys and we all know how that turned out after video and pictures were taken.
The video of those jerseys came during the 20 minute shooting period which will still be allowed. Those jerseys got yanked because Nutt wimped out over a couple of phone calls.
As for Herring do you think he's the only Razorback coach who ever got onto some football players ? Lou Holtz used to grab 'em by the face mask.
I repeat there is nothing about this that will make this team better.

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: mikeirwin on August 07, 2005, 05:05:33 pm
Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 07, 2005, 04:47:54 pm
Perhaps he wants Herring to be able to say what he needs to say to the players. Last time he had the players that weren't giving 100% wear pink jerseys and we all know how that turned out after video and pictures were taken.
The video of those jerseys came during the 20 minute shooting period which will still be allowed. Those jerseys got yanked because Nutt wimped out over a couple of phone calls.
As for Herring do you think he's the only Razorback coach who ever got onto some football players ? Lou Holtz used to grab 'em by the face mask.
I repeat there is nothing about this that will make this team better.

You better talk about this on the show tomorrow.  I will be listening.

radar

Should not make much difference in the amount or quality of info given out by the reporters who cover the team, all usually had the same report, same player  interview. What will be changed is the reports from fans on message boards, which in most cases are honest no-spin reports as to how the team and certain players are looking. The reporters can gather after practice for their usual briefing saving them some time, yet getting out the same product we are accustomed to.

WilsonHog

From a public relations perspective, it seems to me that HDN sometimes walks around with a can of gasoline looking for a fire to throw it on.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: mikeirwin on August 07, 2005, 02:59:49 pm
I got the word a few minutes ago. Forty years of tradition undone by man who doesn't understand the relationship that football program has with the fans.
Good luck Houston. You're gonna need it. You just cut yourself off from one of the things that has always made this program special.

Are they going to raise the fence along Razorback Road? During the Spring practices, sure they had a tarp over the fence, but you could stand and look over the fence and see everything that's happening on the field.

mikeirwin

Quote from: radar on August 07, 2005, 05:10:50 pm
Should not make much difference in the amount or quality of info given out by the reporters who cover the team, all usually had the same report, same player interview. What will be changed is the reports from fans on message boards, which in most cases are honest no-spin reports as to how the team and certain players are looking. The reporters can gather after practice for their usual briefing saving them some time, yet getting out the same product we are accustomed to.
You could not be more wrong about that. If you really believe that you don't pay much attention to what you are reading or watching on TV. There are several fine reporters who cover that team who write their stuff based on what they see with their own eyes. I read the papers every morning. There is a big difference between what the two up here report. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying that two differerent reporters go to practice and each sees a different thing. That will end. Now we really will be all the same. We will be left to report all that, "The players really bounced around out there," or "they were feeling sorry for themselves" stuff that Nutt says every day.

Buck Ocean

QuoteKudo's to Big Mike!!! You are closer to my side than I ever gave you credit for!

Ok.....now this I am worried about. :-[
Think like a Jedi

TulsaHawg

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on August 07, 2005, 05:42:54 pm

Mike, Herring is the dominant force on this staff and is running more than the defense. HDN is Done and knows it! He still has enough pride that he doesn't want you writers to see it and report it!

I believe that Herring is a BIG force on the coacing staff, but I think his main influence is the defense, obviously.

That said, I would not be surprised if Herring did suggested to HDN that perhaps practices should be closed.

WallyHallsKid

You act like Arkansas is the only school/team that does this.

Consider the hostile attitude of the message-board fans, and then tell me more about the "special relationship" between the fans and the team.

It seems to me you're more bitter about being shut out.

mikeirwin

Quote from: WallyHallsKid on August 07, 2005, 05:56:56 pm

You act like Arkansas is the only school/team that does this.

Consider the hostile attitude of the message-board fans, and then tell me more about the "special relationship" between the fans and the team.

It seems to me you're more bitter about being shut out.

Several years ago I had an anchor in Ft. Smith who wanted me to reveal at 2pm each day what I was doing on the Razorbacks. I kept saying to this person, I'll know what I'm doing when I see something worth reporting and that won't happen until I see it.
I hate canned features. You start out with a premise like Peyton Hillis is a stud and you do a feature on it.
I prefer to report on something nobody else notices. Like maybe in the middle of a practice a rookie linebacker starts kicking butt. You talk to the kid after practice. You talk to the coach and you've got a real feature on something that just happened which nobody else in the media noticed. Maybe that kid ends up starting as a true freshman. That's the kind of reporting that floats my boat. So no, I'm not bitter. It's not about some power struggle with Nutt. It's about being able to do my job.

Thehammer

Quote from: Douglas on August 07, 2005, 03:06:11 pm
I'm really sorry to hear this. It looks like HDN's trails are leading into the sunset, and now with this, it's now a full bore gallop.

Your're the same guy told us yesterday that it was the norm for "big time" colleges to close practices.   Why are you complaining now?

WallyHallsKid

Quote from: mikeirwin on August 07, 2005, 06:11:33 pm
It's about being able to do my job.

Believe me - I have a pretty good idea what it takes to do your job.

And I'm pretty sure Nutt feels like he's trying to do his job.

It's an unfair criticism. Closing practices has always been a coach's prerogative.

Hog6

August 07, 2005, 06:22:46 pm #26 Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 06:26:21 pm by Hog6
First off, I am a Nutt fan okay?  Went to the UA while he was there and even had a class with the old boy.  But let me ask you guys something.  Have you ever noticed Houston's proclivity for shielding his face during games?  This is not an unusual practice at all, you see it all the time especially in the NFL. But the degree to which he uses his playbook to cover his mouth leads me to wonder if he has a bit of an issue with people spying on him.  Could this be the reason for the closed practices?  Not making excuses or throwing stones, just observing and wondering about this.  I was really looking forward to the press reports from the practices.

PecosHog

Quote from: on the brazos on August 07, 2005, 06:11:40 pm
im not bitter, im sad that a sinking coach like nutt is trying to punish the fans. hes mad at the fans, and hes going to show us. well i think at the end of this season JFB"s will show him. show him the show there is.
OTB be honest, if HDN opened practice and provided lounge chairs with misters and ice cold beer you would still be complaining.

Smithian

I am betting a good deal of cash Herring got Nutt in a corner and basically convinced him to do it.

Illinihog

Irwin,

I usually agree with some stuff that you say, but this one I think you are just bitching just to bitch.  I know you like to gripe and complain about a lot of stuff but the actual practice being closed is that really a big deal?  No not at all.  The only time it matters what this team does is in a game.  When they perform in the game is all I really care about.  If memory serves me right I watched a few of those Practices with TJACK and even Sorahan and thought why are these guys not a head of Jones'.  They could throw the ball in practice but in games they weren't as good.  So to me it only matters what goes on in the games.

You should like the practice being closed it means you don't have to go and worry that Sullivan isn't going to Frank up the broadcast that evening.  It actually makes your job easier, saves you a trip out to practice everyday.  BTW, will Sullivan be at Media day?  Let him know there won't be many single women there for him to look at, hell there won't be any high school chicks either.

xkyrie

There was a nice rumor three weeks ago about the practices being closed this year. A co-worker who plays in Joplin said they were going to be closed, due in part to the pink jersey fiasco, and that H. had the final say on it.

AFWarrior83

This is a good move on HDN's part, I will explain...

1) We have a NEW team with a NEW offence (no Matt Option)

2) Since our game-plan is different, why would he let people, not just the fans but OTHER TEAMS see what we were going to do?

3) I know USC is a way's away, but I can guarentee that they will be getting every chance they can to see what we are like w/out ole MJ around, and really how our DEFENCE is this year!

4) When HDN has another good year, another team is going to pick him up, and 1/2 of AR is going to cheer, then when we go back to 4-7 years, that 1/2 are going to be thinking what an idoit they were for running the coach off! Also Herring will say BYE BYE, and go somewhere else!
Hogville member since 2005.

WilsonHog

Hey, look at the glass as half full.

This just means we get to devote three more weeks to talking about where Mustain and Norman might go.

If we get tired of that, we can always talk about the GSD, or maybe about playing ASU, or even about Butch Davis.

You just have to look at it the right way.

snoutface

Closing practices means when the product is unveiled, it better be good.  Even Fan App Day on the 20th needs to drop a few jaws.  And we better hang half a hundred on Somewhere Mo. St. and send Vandy back home no less than 3 TDs short of a tie.  I find it gutsy and risky- kinda like it!
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

TechHawg

Guys, here is my gut feeling.  Right now Houston Nutt is thinking about USC.  He knows we can beat Missouri State and Vanderbilt without showing a lot of our playbook.  He wants USC to have no idea what we're going to do.  It's hard to plan for that with an open practice where anybody can watch and see what kind of plays we're practicing.  It's not a bad move.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  If you want Arkansas to be a big time program, then you've gotta live with some of the negatives that come with it.  Big time programs close practice.  It's really kinda simple.

pigfoot

Mike, was there any explanation from anyone in the HDN camp telling why practices will be closed?  I guess the argument could be made that Nutt doesn't owe anyone an explanation.  It's his show to run.  I live 800 miles from the campus and the only info I get about the team is what I can get from the media and/or this message board.  If Nutt gave any kind of reasonable explanation, as an avid fan I would be inclined to buy into it.  But this smacks of a purely spiteful move on his part.  What's the phrase-- "with malice aforethought"!!
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

AFWarrior83

Quote from: TechHawg on August 07, 2005, 07:00:46 pm
Guys, here is my gut feeling. Right now Houston Nutt is thinking about USC. He knows we can beat Missouri State and Vanderbilt without showing a lot of our playbook. He wants USC to have no idea what we're going to do. It's hard to plan for that with an open practice where anybody can watch and see what kind of plays we're practicing. It's not a bad move. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want Arkansas to be a big time program, then you've gotta live with some of the negatives that come with it. Big time programs close practice. It's really kinda simple.

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!! PEOPLE GOT TO WAKE UP AND SEE THE BIG PICTURE!!! KUDOS 2U

The Max Swineberg 7

I watch KFSM for all my Razorback news.  Why?  Well, being here in Russellville we get KFSM, and then the 3 Little Rock stations.  The only thing you will hear from the big 3 on the Razorbacks are stories (and footage) that you can tell were shot during media day.  Doesn't matter if it's 8 games into the season.  It's old footage.  I don't want that.

As a fan, I want to keep up with my team.  This doesn't help.  I don't like taking anyone's word for it (coach or media) about what happened.  I like to see a little bit of the drills going on. 

I know some other schools may do this.  But it doesn't seem like Arkansas should, given the stuff we allways hear from the University about the great relationship with the fans.  Blah, blah, blah.  Whoever's call this is...HDN, Herring, whomever,...it is a bad idea.

BTW, I must say that sometimes KTHV will have some footage, but I have noticed it is always the exact same stuff has KFSM.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

AFWarrior83

SO DO YOU WANT TO WIN OR WATCH PRACTICE AND US BE .500 EVERY YEAR? WHICH IS IT? I SAY SHUT DOWN "MOST" PRACTICES AND WIN MORE THAN 6 GAMES A YEAR!

The Max Swineberg 7

I'll bet that shutting down practices doesn't equal wins.  I bet game day execution is more important.

But I don't know anything.  Just ask my wife.

;D
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

WilsonHog

Guys, here is my gut feeling. Right now Houston Nutt is thinking about USC. He knows we can beat Missouri State and Vanderbilt without showing a lot of our playbook. He wants USC to have no idea what we're going to do. It's hard to plan for that with an open practice where anybody can watch and see what kind of plays we're practicing. It's not a bad move. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want Arkansas to be a big time program, then you've gotta live with some of the negatives that come with it. Big time programs close practice. It's really kinda simple.

I'm not sure, but I believe the last Arkansas coach who felt confident enough to hide most of his offense in the season opener found himself looking for work the following day.

Pragmatic PiG

Guys, here is my gut feeling.  Right now Houston Nutt is thinking about USC.  He knows we can beat Missouri State and Vanderbilt without showing a lot of our playbook.  He wants USC to have no idea what we're going to do.  It's hard to plan for that with an open practice where anybody can watch and see what kind of plays we're practicing.  It's not a bad move.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  If you want Arkansas to be a big time program, then you've gotta live with some of the negatives that come with it.  Big time programs close practice.  It's really kinda simple.

yeah FB dive left, HB dive right, then a max protect passing play with monk floating to the sidelines. Sure sounds tough to keep up with. USC will be stunned  :o

mr4pt

QuoteSO DO YOU WANT TO WIN OR WATCH PRACTICE AND US BE .500 EVERY YEAR? WHICH IS IT? I SAY SHUT DOWN "MOST" PRACTICES AND WIN MORE THAN 6 GAMES A YEAR!

Please explain how shutting down practice's will equal more wins.

It can't be the high powered playbook HDN has been hiding all these years, could it? I mean, gawddang..when we close practice and hit USC with power option right, fullback dive, draw play, punt...yeah, that'll pay off. Oh, I forgot about sending Monk out as the key reciever in a two man route....

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

arkhogdog61

i'm with illini its not that big of deal, if thats what they need to get better so be it!GO HOGS
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

mikeirwin

Quote from: Illinihog on August 07, 2005, 06:33:05 pm
Irwin,

I usually agree with some stuff that you say, but this one I think you are just bitching just to bitch. I know you like to gripe and complain about a lot of stuff but the actual practice being closed is that really a big deal?
Please refer to the last thing I posted about this. I don't bitch to bitch. Some people on this board get it, some don't. Reporters who go to workouts and really pay attention to what's happening can come up with all kinds of stuff that is interesting to fans. A lot of it is not gonna be mentioned by the coaches. I'm not talking about secret plays or information that would hurt the team. If memory serves me correctly you posted a very interesting evaluation of one of the first spring practices when the fans and media were shut out. I enjoyed reading it. I think a few others here did too. It wasn't anything damaging to the program. No horrible negative secrets were revealed. It was simply the sort of information that a fan would like to know about. IT'S CALLED PUBLICITY. IT HELPS SELL TICKETS. If this stuff is not important why does this board exist ?
We could all just sit around and wait to the first game, go see it, go home and forget about it until the next game.

Boarcephus

I guess I can see them closing practices a few days before a game when they are installing the gameplan but crap, this is August for crying out lound.   The freshman report, we're still undefeated, hopes are high.   Now is not the time to close them.  Nutt just can't help himself from painting himself in a corner.  Arrogance has a tendency to make one do that. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 07, 2005, 09:03:12 pm
I guess I can see them closing practices a few days before a game when they are installing the gameplan but crap, this is August for crying out lound. The freshman report, we're still undefeated, hopes are high. Now is not the time to close them. Nutt just can't help himself from painting himself in a corner. Arrogance has a tendency to make one do that.
More information has come in. The first two days are open. I assume that applies to the fans too. It's better than nothing. Guess I'll be working my butt off to see as much as possible those first two days. After that it's the CONE OF SILENCE.
I'm still trying to see if the scrimmages will be open. They were open in the spring. That is how we found out that Cole Barthel could play some. The fact that they won't tell us now tells me the scrimmages will be closed too. Hope I'm wrong.

madduckdog

if practice was open the "no  NUTz disease ridden,... fairweather fans" they would rip any target of opportunity. In  their delirium,.. they would make mountains out of mole heals. If you don't  believe this would happen just look at some of these post.

these folk are poison and..., I bet no fun to watch  the  game with.

junkyardhog

August 07, 2005, 09:41:40 pm #49 Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 09:43:28 pm by junkyardhog

You are nuts, how come it is ok for Florida to do this and not us?  It needed to be done a long time ago.  Also, I gurantee you that Reggie had more to do with this than HDN!! It is a sign of change allright, GOOD CHANGE!!

BTW- I heard about this last week, why are you just now hearing it?