Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stupid name for the Oklahoma City NBA franchise

Started by hawgsav1, August 07, 2008, 04:31:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsav1

They're probably going to name the new NBA franchise in Oklahoma City the "Oklahoma City Thunder".  They should have named it Thunderbirds, because Thunderbirds have a significance in Oklahoma cultural history and the name just sounds cooler.  Could have also named it Oklahoma City Tornadoes or something like that :P

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-clues-hidden-in-nba-schedule/article/3279771/?tm=1218061475

Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Calihog

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

3kgthog

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

sasnakrafan

im telling you guys... oklahoma city outlaws... it just flows.

hawgsav1

Quote from: sasnakrafan on August 07, 2008, 05:37:22 pm

I would have liked outlaws or thunderbirds.  Thunder just sounds like a car wreck
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: hawgsav1 on August 07, 2008, 06:02:22 pm
I would have liked outlaws or thunderbirds.  Thunder just sounds like a car wreck

Outlaws. That's too negative for the unless Ron Artest was playing for them.  What about The Cimarrons? (sp).

otishog

I thought Barons was alright.  But I agree Thunder sounds like an AFL name.

guthhog

thunder sounds like a name a soccer team would have, like the fire or galaxy.....personally i hate names like that
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!

highroller

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 07, 2008, 05:23:47 pm
At least they didn't name them Naturals.

There's nothing wrong with Naturals. It's perfectly fitting for our state and also ties to a great baseball movie.

What would be a more fitting name?

Oliver

Quote from: sasnakrafan on August 07, 2008, 05:37:22 pm

Sounds too much like the Spurs. 

Hoggle

Reminds me of an indoor soccer team - back on channel 3 when there were only 12 channels.  The Thunder, the Lightning, the Storm, the Energy, the Wind... the Puke.  I can't stand those names.

crowhawg

How about the OKLAHOMA CITY MOBILE HOME DWELLERS!  The players could wear wife beaters and cutoffs.  The cheerleaders could be pregnant smoking a Marlboro.  Sounds like Oklahoma to me!!!

arkyman

Quote from: crowhawg on August 08, 2008, 10:27:29 pm
How about the OKLAHOMA CITY MOBILE HOME DWELLERS!  The players could wear wife beaters and cutoffs.  The cheerleaders could be pregnant smoking a Marlboro.  Sounds like Oklahoma to me!!!
Pot calling the tea kettle black.  You realize we have a worse rep than they do?

crowhawg

Quote from: arkyman on August 08, 2008, 11:06:36 pm
Pot calling the tea kettle black.  You realize we have a worse rep than they do?

I lived in OK for 6 years.  It was a joke!!! Lighten up.

booogaga

the should have called themselves "El Diablo" its like spanish for a fighting chicken....
GO HOGS!

MF

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

PorkSoda

August 11, 2008, 05:33:34 pm #20 Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:35:46 pm by PorkSoda
At least its not as bad as what houston ended up with.  Why is it when they have name expansion teams, that they only let people choose from the most lame vanilla sounding names they can come up with.  For goodness sake use your imagination and get creative when you name a multimillion dollar franchise.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Calihog

Quote from: booogaga on August 09, 2008, 08:50:10 pm
the should have called themselves "El Diablo" its like spanish for a fighting chicken....

I think it's spanish for the devil... gallo is rooster.

Hawgon

The Oklahoma City Blowing Trashbags.  A friend of mine christened Ok City as the "The City of Blowing Trash."

JFHWGBKRIII

Like I said before, "LATERS" is the best. ;D ;D
That way they have the "Sooners" and the "Laters".

BrooklynRoss

"Thunder" reminds me of too-abstract early 90's additions like the "Heat" and the "Magic." I would go for a more classic, plural name (a-la "Lakers" or "Celtics") that connotes "team." The "s" at the end gives the indication that it's several people standing together for a goal against a competitor rather than the vague "Thunder" which just makes me think it'll be easy to move the team to another city without the mascot seeming awkward.

"Thunderbirds" would have  been cool, calling attention to the Native American population without pissing off anyone by calling it something blatant like "Indians" or "Red Skins."

"Outlaws" sounds cool, but Stern and the NBA would only be setting themselves up for tabloid headline fodder if any of the players ever got into mischief (see Portland "Jailblazers" of the early 2000's.)

The selection committee probably thought "Thunder" sounded progressive and modern but it simply ended up sounding "early-90's." They may as well have been wearing Marithe Francois Girbaud jean-shorts and listening to C&C Music Factory.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

booogaga

Quote from: Calihog on August 11, 2008, 05:51:22 pm
I think it's spanish for the devil... gallo is rooster.
........sigh........have you ever watched a movie a day in your life........i feel sad for you........
GO HOGS!

DizzyHawgFan