Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA basketball

Started by Corkscrew Johnson, August 05, 2008, 01:47:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Corkscrew Johnson

August 05, 2008, 01:47:45 pm Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:04:13 am by Corkscrew Johnson
I have been watching a few of the exhibition games for the Olympics.  Here are my thoughts:

~ last year the best player for Team USA was Jason Kidd.  This year, Kobe Bryant, and not Chris Paul.  Kobe plays the most fundamental basketball on the team. 

~ teams are going to pack the paint on us.  We must hit our outside shots to get the gold.  Similar to the past few years, we don't have many pure shooters on the team.  Michael Redd and Kobe Bryant.  Yet we continue to jack up contested shots without passing the ball or calling plays.  Too much one-on-one.  Redd might be our most valuable player simply b/c he's the only pure shooter. 

~ our intensity is much better than years past.  These guys aren't resting on their reputations.

~ we have limited inside presence on the roster.  This might be in response to teams packing the lane.  Dwight Howard is an athletic freak, but he doesn't have the low post moves or passing ability to beat the double teams.  It's basically Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer.   I would love to see Garnett or Duncan out there, but alas...

~ it drives me crazy that we have such size, length, natural athleticism, and for once, defensive intensity, yet we consistently give up easy layups.  Our opponents are playing unselfish, disciplined basketball, and they are passing around us with ease.  We are getting lots of steals, but also giving up easy buckets.

Don't let these scores fool you, we are going to have our hands full with Spain, Greece, and Argentina.  My lineup would be:

Jason Kidd/Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant (always on the floor)
Michael Redd (always on the floor)
Wade/Labron
Boozer/Bosh

I wouldn't play Carmelo Anthony one minute, he is the king of taking contested, one-on-one shots.   If we are going to take home the gold, we are going to need to pass better, hit our outside shots, and not take so many gambles on defense.

Kevin

i think darren williams has played well
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dr. Starcs

You bring up some interesting points, but I have to disagree with you on a couple.  First, Chris Paul is NOT the most fundamental player on the team.  How can you not include Deron Williams in your rotation?  The guy is stronger, a better scorer and MUCH better defender than CP3.  Paul against Russia continually lost his man giving up easy buckets.  But I do believe Paul and Williams should replace Kidd. 
I also don't see how you could not include Howard in yeour rotation.  We are small enough as it is and we should rely on all 3 post men for valuable minutes. 
My last point is one you didn't bring up.  I admit I am a Duke hater.  But coach K in my opinion has done nothing to make this a better "team."  Their offense is designed to create one on one opportunities but that is not gonna cut it against the best teams in the world.  Their is no movement or passing in their halfcourt offense and Argentina, Spain and Greece are not gonna turn the ball over at will and give us a lot of easy transition points. 
After these last two exhibition games, I am not so sure we are clear-cut favorites to win the gold.

RZRBack_FAN

Carmello had 12 pts and 10 rebounds today. You not playing him would be pretty dumb.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 05, 2008, 05:54:05 pm
Carmello had 12 pts and 10 rebounds today. You not playing him would be pretty dumb.

No, what would be dumb would be saying someone should play merely because of their statistics.   I see that you did not mention he played over 23 minutes, nor that he went 4-13 from the field.  I believe we have more than ample backups, ones that actually pass the ball and play defense.   

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Nip/Tusk on August 05, 2008, 05:00:43 pm
You bring up some interesting points, but I have to disagree with you on a couple.  First, Chris Paul is NOT the most fundamental player on the team.  How can you not include Deron Williams in your rotation?  The guy is stronger, a better scorer and MUCH better defender than CP3.  Paul against Russia continually lost his man giving up easy buckets.  But I do believe Paul and Williams should replace Kidd. 
I also don't see how you could not include Howard in yeour rotation.  We are small enough as it is and we should rely on all 3 post men for valuable minutes. 
My last point is one you didn't bring up.  I admit I am a Duke hater.  But coach K in my opinion has done nothing to make this a better "team."  Their offense is designed to create one on one opportunities but that is not gonna cut it against the best teams in the world.  Their is no movement or passing in their halfcourt offense and Argentina, Spain and Greece are not gonna turn the ball over at will and give us a lot of easy transition points. 
After these last two exhibition games, I am not so sure we are clear-cut favorites to win the gold.

I agree about Coach K.  Although I'm not sure how easy it is to convince these superstars to pass.  The good news is that our point guards are very unselfish and are trying to run the offense.  The bad news is that the people they pass it to are either taking the shot or driving the lane.  I would like to see some more ball rotation, work it down low.

4razorbacksinky

I have to disagree with the original post on one point. Chris Paul. It brings to mind that someone said during the playoffs that Chris Paul would go down as the greatest point guard ever. That's just as wrong as Chris Paul being the "most fundamental player on the team". Chris Paul sucked on defense against Russia and sucked today against Australia. He is one of the worst defending point guards I have seen in a while. Heck, Stevie Wonder could play better defense than Paul has the last two games. It was also lamented in the original post that we give up uncontested layups. When you don't shut down the point uncontested layups are going to be a dime a dozen. Chris, would you please retrieve your jock strap from the Shanghai floor. Patrick Mills talked you into leaving it there more than once today!
Fear the Tusks!

yraciv

Melo doesn't play defense and forces shots, so I agree there.  I haven't seen hardly anything from Kidd except veteran leadership.  That might work good with Paul whose defense hasn't been up to par. Deron Williams has looked very good.  Put him out there with Wade and Kobe the team should do excellent.  Howard can't be stopped when he gets it going, not to mention he is a beast on the board.

PG: Deron Williams
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Kobe Bryant
PF: Lebron James
C: Dwight Howard

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Chris Paul
SF: Michael Redd
PF: Carlos Boozer/Shane Battier
C:  Chris Bosh

12thman: Melo "haha"

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: 4razorbacksinky on August 05, 2008, 09:58:41 pm
I have to disagree with the original post on one point. Chris Paul. It brings to mind that someone said during the playoffs that Chris Paul would go down as the greatest point guard ever. That's just as wrong as Chris Paul being the "most fundamental player on the team". Chris Paul sucked on defense against Russia and sucked today against Australia. He is one of the worst defending point guards I have seen in a while. Heck, Stevie Wonder could play better defense than Paul has the last two games. It was also lamented in the original post that we give up uncontested layups. When you don't shut down the point uncontested layups are going to be a dime a dozen. Chris, would you please retrieve your jock strap from the Shanghai floor. Patrick Mills talked you into leaving it there more than once today!

Okay, I'll admit I didn't watch the Russia game.  If Paul has defensive deficiencies, than the the "most fundamental" award should go to Kobe (edit made).  I just love the way Paul controls the game, it's like watching an old-school point guard who knows everyone's role and orchestrates them to play to their strengths.  He's one of our few players who matches wits with the Internationals from a tactical perspective.  But as you can see from the original post, I have little patience for defensive lapses...

RZRBack_FAN

Melo creates so many mismatches itshard for teams to guard him. 

What does field goal percentage have to do with anything? Have you ever watched Kobe play? He has plenty of off nights shooting the ball.

10 Rebounds is a huge stat whether you want to pay attention to it or not. Not saying he is the greatest player but he is definately an asset to the team.

Lebron James and Dwayne Wade will be the reason USA wins gold again for the first time since 2000.

yraciv

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 06, 2008, 09:11:05 am
Melo creates so many mismatches itshard for teams to guard him. 

What does field goal percentage have to do with anything? Have you ever watched Kobe play? He has plenty of off nights shooting the ball.

10 Rebounds is a huge stat whether you want to pay attention to it or not. Not saying he is the greatest player but he is definately an asset to the team.

Lebron James and Dwayne Wade will be the reason USA wins gold again for the first time since 2000.

I was slightly exaggerating.  The guy does create mismatches playing bigs on offense, but you can' expect him to stop anyone else's PF when he doesn't play much D on guys in the NBA at the SF.