Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retired #'s in BWA

Started by The_Iceman, August 05, 2008, 07:52:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Something that would really add alot of life to the history and tradition of Bud Walton Arena would be to hang our retired jerseys from the rafters.

My question is, what numbers/jerseys should we retire?

#34?
#32?
#10?

booogaga

we already have a couple dont we. or is it just one. moncriefs number is retired isnt it
GO HOGS!

The_Iceman

Quote from: booogaga on August 05, 2008, 08:28:14 am
we already have a couple dont we. or is it just one. moncriefs number is retired isnt it

but they dont have them up in BWA. like at Duke, UNC, UK, etc.

sugartownhog

Last I knew Moncrief's # was still in Barnhill.  Not really sure why other than that is where he played.

booogaga

Quote from: sugartownhog on August 05, 2008, 01:23:42 pm
Last I knew Moncrief's # was still in Barnhill.  Not really sure why other than that is where he played.
i have never really understood why they keep his number hanging in barnhill and dont move it over to BW. the only reason i can think of is that he played there but that is dumb in my opinion.
GO HOGS!

Billy

i say hang all the retired #'s up. it would look cool.

UltimateHog

Replace some of our pointless banners with retired #'s, I agree.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Geohul

The only retired numbers in Barnhill belong to Womens Volleyball players.  There are no men's numbers hanging in there anymore.

HogFaninMemphis

I think we should retire Moncrief, the Brewers' #10, Williamson, and Day.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Fort Swine

Quote from: UltimateHog on August 06, 2008, 02:10:27 am
Replace some of our pointless banners with retired #'s, I agree.

They need to update the banners too.  It is time to do away with the Hobby Lobby Ribbon look and really make the rafters look as good as the rest of the place.  I would like to see retired numbers in the rafters.  It would really tie the past to the present.  It may not be the biggest thing in the world, but it would make things nice. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

3kgthog

For years I've agreed with the subject of this post. Ever since my first game in BWA I've wondered why in the world we don't showcase our former stars. Instead we stick their memories down in a dark and aging museum.

Ditto on getting rid of the old banners too. Some of those banners are just pointless. Anything less than a Sweet 16 berth needs to be taken down. They could replace those in the middle of the ceiling with huge banners featuring former players and coaches.

Finally, could we please get Scotty Thurman a better looking mural on the wall on the concourse? That picture looks faded and old. My bubble jet photo printer makes better pictures than that. You would think the most important shot in Razorback history would be jazzed up a little more.

The_Iceman

what numbers would you guys want to have retired?

i can imagine hanging up in the rafter in a line the jerseys of:

Moncrief

Williamson

who else do you think should be hanging up there? which ones really represent our history other than these two?

JFHWGBKRIII

I do not believe in retiring numbers.
I do believe that those special numbers for the most outstanding players should be reserved for a special recruit.
That way they know that we really want them and they feel special.
Use them as recruiting tools.

The_Iceman

no razorback player should ever wear #34 again.

but that is just my opinion.

Fort Swine

You don't have to retire numbers per say, but you do what UNC does and retire the jersey with the name on it.  They hang it in the rafters and if anybody else wants to wear it - they can. 

Robertson and Walker need to hang in the gym too. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

HawgAdvocate

#34 - Corliss
#32 - Moncrief
#10 - Day
#11 - Mayberry

Done.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

oldfart

i am pretty sure that sidney is the only one to have a retired number...  i could be wrong but i dont think so....

Smithian

I might be mistaken, but isn't John Pelphrey's "jersey" retired, but not his number at Kentucky?

I like that idea. Retire the numbers #34 and #32, but retire "jerseys" of guys like Todd Day, Mayberry, Ron Brewer, Thurman.