Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback practice facility

Started by LamarMundane, August 02, 2008, 09:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LamarMundane

First, I understand the importance of keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to facilities and other amenities. Somebody has a better ball park, gotta outdo it. Somebody has a bigger weight room, gotta keep up. Can't ever lose a recruit because of things like that.
And I understand that 10 of the 12 SEC schools either have a hoops practice facility, or have plans for one.

But, I have to say, I think this is about the most wasteful expenditure I've ever seen. Doesn't matter what school. In Arkansas's case, you have the 'basketball palace of Mid-America' right on campus, and somehow there's a need to build ANOTHER gym just to practice in. To quote Iverson 'we're talking about practice..practice...not a game. Practice'. Not to mention, there's Barnhill Arena still standing there. Why not use it? HPER?
And don't tell me there are that many conflicts with Bud Walton.

This is absurd. Patently absurd.

The_Iceman

We don't need a practice facility because BWA is one of the only gyms that is only used for basketball.

No volleyball, no concerts, no miscellaneous activities.

I also think this gives us an advantage because we get to practice on the gym we will play in for every home game.

Billy

well, have you ever had to have a practice with just 2 goals? (Pee Wee coaches please don't respond)

Have you ever had to call a coach of another UA athletic program and tell them that thier scheduled practice is cancelled b/c the men's bball team needs more practice time? men's bkb asst. coaches have to do this when pel calls a random practice. talk about pissing co-workers off.

BWA is a helluva arena. one of the top 10 in the country. BUT...there are plenty of arenas nipping at its heels or even surpassing it. I would say that it is 3rd in the SEC right now behind UT and UK. So, to sit back on the 15 year old "BKB palace of mid-america" title is what I call a behind the curve mindset. We need to stay ahead of the curve.

it is my opinion that most people who say "we've got BWA specifically for hoops", is a casual fan's approach. Those are the fans who think hoops is a way to pass time after football. People who are die hard hoops fans want a practice facility so Pel can practice them till his ears bleed if he so chooses, and at what ever time he chooses.

And lastly, you can piss and moan all ya want, but we are gettin one, and there's nothing you can do about it. :)

Hogbody

Quote from: Billy on August 02, 2008, 10:34:45 pm
well, have you ever had to have a practice with just 2 goals? (Pee Wee coaches please don't respond)

Have you ever had to call a coach of another UA athletic program and tell them that thier scheduled practice is cancelled b/c the men's bball team needs more practice time? men's bkb asst. coaches have to do this when pel calls a random practice. talk about pissing co-workers off.

BWA is a helluva arena. one of the top 10 in the country. BUT...there are plenty of arenas nipping at its heels or even surpassing it. I would say that it is 3rd in the SEC right now behind UT and UK. So, to sit back on the 15 year old "BKB palace of mid-america" title is what I call a behind the curve mindset. We need to stay ahead of the curve.

it is my opinion that most people who say "we've got BWA specifically for hoops", is a casual fan's approach. Those are the fans who think hoops is a way to pass time after football. People who are die hard hoops fans want a practice facility so Pel can practice them till his ears bleed if he so chooses, and at what ever time he chooses.

And lastly, you can piss and moan all ya want, but we are gettin one, and there's nothing you can do about it. :)

All I wanted to say is they dont practice on two goals :)

razorback44

Quote from: Billy on August 02, 2008, 10:34:45 pm

I have played in BWA and watched practice there before.  I just wanted to ask...you do realize that all the lower bowl seats push back and they bring in other goals for practice?  They can have three almost full length courts in the arena when all the seats are pushed back.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

The_Iceman

i still think it is an advantage for a team to be able to practice all the time on the court and goals they play on during games.

Billy

Quote from: razorback44 on August 03, 2008, 03:04:21 am
I have played in BWA and watched practice there before.  I just wanted to ask...you do realize that all the lower bowl seats push back and they bring in other goals for practice?  They can have three almost full length courts in the arena when all the seats are pushed back.
Yep, worked many a basketball camp in there.

You obviously haven't been around BWA enough to know that if there is a game that day, or round about, then the seats are pulled down and only the 2 main goals are available. if the Razorback Women have 2 games that week along with the men, then there is only 3 days of full practice.  That's what i was getting at. That has been one of the main talking points on the issue.

1highhog

Then as another poster previously asked, why not you Barnhill to practice in?  Remodel it or whatever they need to do and that will be their practice facilty.

Billy

August 03, 2008, 02:17:06 pm #8 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:21:51 pm by Billy
Quote from: 1highhog on August 03, 2008, 11:22:56 am
Then as another poster previously asked, why not you Barnhill to practice in?  Remodel it or whatever they need to do and that will be their practice facilty.
Two reasons:

1. What are you going to tell the volleyball team and the gym backs?

2. BH is a nostalgic place to us, but what out of state 17 year old is going to be impressed by an old run-down recycled gym?

check out UK's practice facility.

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=0&url_article_id=15114&change_well_id=2

this is along the lines of what we could have.

Smithian

If it helps us win, then we need to make the best in the country, IMO. Our facilities are our best thing to overcome our problems with the negative stigma of "Arkansas". You hear all this stuff, come and see our amazing facility, and it is almost a shock factor for us.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Smithian on August 03, 2008, 03:02:09 pm
If it helps us win, then we need to make the best in the country, IMO. Our facilities are our best thing to overcome our problems with the negative stigma of "Arkansas". You hear all this stuff, come and see our amazing facility, and it is almost a shock factor for us.

The negative stigma of "poor little Arkansas" was fed to us for the last decade by Nutt and his croneys.

I expect that to change now that we have a real AD, and real coaches in place in the 3 major sports. 

Of course some of the members of the media that sucked up to Nutt for so long, are having a hard time adjusting to the new reality.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

The Realist

Here is a link to UT's new practice facility and it is located directly next to Thompson-Boling. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2008/jan/15/tour-through-pratt-pavilion/

These kind of facilities help with any recruit no matter if we have BWA to ourselves or not.  Everyone wants to have the new toy and this is it. 

http://www.utsports.com/facilities/page.aspx?id=49270
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

3kgthog

Tear down that eyesore that is Pomfret Hall and we've got a perfect place for a fancy new practice facility. Even better, stop ripping off fans by making them pay to tailgate in "The Gardens" and build it where the old married dorms used to be. Put it next to the new softball field and we can have two gems right next to each other.

Dances With Hogs

Lamar, You either want the recruits or not.

hogninja

I thought I read that it was to let both the male and female team be able to practice at a reasionable time.  As it is now, somebody has a suckey practice time that affects studying.   :razorback:

Billy

August 03, 2008, 09:23:51 pm #15 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:26:08 pm by Billy
Yes, men would have their own practice court, and women would have their's.

also, i like the idea of putting in some kick-azz dorms for the players too.

is it just me, or is it not a horrible idea to put a HUGE mural of coach pearl up in the practice facility? seriously, how long is he gonna be there?

Marshfieldhog

Throw up some goals in the parking lot, put on some warm sweats, and get to work. If we win the next game..we practice indoors, lose and were out in the parking lot. Just kidding of course!

The Realist

Quote from: Billy on August 03, 2008, 09:23:51 pm
Yes, men would have their own practice court, and women would have their's.

also, i like the idea of putting in some kick-azz dorms for the players too.

is it just me, or is it not a horrible idea to put a HUGE mural of coach pearl up in the practice facility? seriously, how long is he gonna be there?
Well he had a chance to go to Indiana and said no thanks.  Chances are he will be there a long time.  He has a perfect situation with fans, boosters, administration, and drawing great recruits. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Billy

Well, i agree that he'll be there a while, but it just seems like a bad idea to put something so permanent up for a coach, when coaches are not so permanent these days.

Smithian

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 03, 2008, 03:18:52 pm
The negative stigma of "poor little Arkansas" was fed to us for the last decade by Nutt and his croneys.

I expect that to change now that we have a real AD, and real coaches in place in the 3 major sports. 

Of course some of the members of the media that sucked up to Nutt for so long, are having a hard time adjusting to the new reality.

Porkatarian out...
I don't believe that myself and I feel it is utter BS, but some recruits will believe that before they arrive and will be fed that by other coaches. I just think excellent facilities of every type will give national outlets another reason to feature us as a more than legit program.

LamarMundane

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on August 03, 2008, 08:04:31 pm
Lamar, You either want the recruits or not.

I never said it wasn't going to happen, and I never said that it wasn't important to keep up with the Joneses. In this very competitive league, I have no doubt the UA will construct one to keep up.

My main point was the trend in athletics today. I think it's wasteful to be spending so much money on PRACTICE facilities when there are other uses for that money. This is a prime talking point for the anti-athletic people to fuss at. And I think they're right in this case.

LamarMundane

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 03, 2008, 03:18:52 pm

Wow, you guys are good. This is a thread about a totally different sport and totally different topic, and still it managed to generate a Houston Nutt reference. Impressive. It's like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon game.

Porkatarian out...

opineonswine

Quote from: LamarMundane on August 05, 2008, 12:08:27 pm
I never said it wasn't going to happen, and I never said that it wasn't important to keep up with the Joneses. In this very competitive league, I have no doubt the UA will construct one to keep up.

My main point was the trend in athletics today. I think it's wasteful to be spending so much money on PRACTICE facilities when there are other uses for that money. This is a prime talking point for the anti-athletic people to fuss at. And I think they're right in this case.

Blame the first "country" that started this weapons race...not Arkansas for responding.

HotlantaHog

Georgia -- where basketball takes a far second seat to football -- just opened an elaborate, $30 million practice facility last year.

It is all about impressing recruits and showing a committment to excellence. Sometimes, it is better to waste a little dough to ensure you have the best over-the-top facilities than to scrimp on every dime.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on August 03, 2008, 10:24:16 pm
Throw up some goals in the parking lot, put on some warm sweats, and get to work. If we win the next game..we practice indoors, lose and were out in the parking lot. Just kidding of course!

I think Billy Donovan did just that, if I recall correctly.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3298503

George S. Pigton

First off, you're not wasting any tax payer or state money.  If they build a facility it will be
from private funds.  Then the upkeep will come from basketball revenues which they just
increased by about $2million a year with the new club seats and the ticket increase.

Secondly, you have to build it to stay in the race for the kids.  They want to see schools
serious about their sport. 

After that, you have to list what Jeff Long listed as reasons.

That the ladies team has to practice around the mens team which interfers with their
ability to take some classes as they now practice mid day rather than late afternoon
when school is not an issue.

Also, as someone stated, during the season, with so many games being played, they do
not move the seats back and forth, too much work.  So they only have the two goals to
work on.

Lastly, the new facility would give them the ability to use the 'Bud' for different things
during the season rather than just for basketball.  They say they have request to hold
speeches, concerts and other events there but do to the needs of the teams to practice
and play the facility goes unused which cuts into revenue and educational, social opportunities
for the students.

I say build it!
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

cdclark09

How about turning the HPER into a practice facility that will still house the swimming and build the 19,000 students a bigger better place to workout and play basketball.  The HPER gets too crowded as it is, especially the gym and basketball courts.  I think they could modify that place to give plenty of room for the basketball teams.  I think it would be good to build something for the remaining 98% of students that go there.  It's just an idea and I don't know if its really possible.

cobra kai

What about when a player wants to practice on his own time?  Do the players have access to BWA all the time?  I know Rotnei Clarke has been working out at the all star arena in springdale everyday.

Having a practice facility available for the coaches to call practice whenever they want and for the players to have a place to work on their game at all times only makes perfect sense to me.  Not only is it extremely attractive for recruits, but it simply allows our team to spend more quality time in the gym. 

I don't think we can get one built soon enough...

LamarMundane

Quote from: cdclark09 on August 08, 2008, 02:52:44 pm
How about turning the HPER into a practice facility that will still house the swimming and build the 19,000 students a bigger better place to workout and play basketball.  The HPER gets too crowded as it is, especially the gym and basketball courts.  I think they could modify that place to give plenty of room for the basketball teams.  I think it would be good to build something for the remaining 98% of students that go there.  It's just an idea and I don't know if its really possible.

I know a new HPER has been discussed. I remember seeing a mention of that a year or two ago.

Billy

The HPER is going to be replaced in the near future, but the practice facility will not be a retread of an old building.

it will be the newest piece of bling on the campus that people try to get a sneak peek at. Just like the weight room for football.

Remember, that the money that funds the HPER comes from different pockets than the money that will fund the practice facility.

ChicoHog

Isn't Rupp arena off campus?  If so, it is definitely more convenient for the players to practice on campus.   Also if Bud Walton was more free for concerts and conventions perhaps we can get more revenue.  When i was in school we had some decent concerts at Barnhill including REO, Heart, Little River Band, Chicago, Toto, Huey Lewis, Joan jett to name a few. 

The_Iceman

we have had foo fighters and john meyer the last two years. it would be cool to have them in the newly renovated BWA though.

cityhog

Plus when the Wal-Fart greed-holders meeting rolls into town, the Bball team is out on it's ear.