Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008-2009 Basketball Game Note

Started by olblueyes, July 14, 2008, 09:25:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

olblueyes

Information for upcoming basketball season. I think we will do better than expected.
http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1512576
Following, supporting, and rooting the hogs on 24/7 X 365!!!!

pitbull1

I think if I leaders play pretty well, we do pretty good, and we get into the big dance.

Biggus Piggus

1-2 Patrick Beverley 6-1 jr
1-2 Rotnei Clarke 6-1 fr
1-2 Courtney Fortson 5-11 fr

2-3 Stefan Welsh 6-2 jr
2-3 Marcus Britt 6-2 so
3 Montrell McDonald 6-6 jr

3-4 Michael Washington 6-10 jr
3-4 Andre Clark 6-10 fr

4-5 Michael Sanchez 6-8 fr
4-5 Brandon Moore 6-9 fr

This team reminds me of a Tark UNLV team but without Larry Johnson or a big center.  Those are major differences.

The 1990-92 Runnin Rebs of legend had two smallish but quick, smart, tough guards, fine shooters and ballhandlers, sound and opportunistic defenders.

They also had an outstanding ballhawk defender on the wing who could really run, a phenomenally talented power forward, and two types of centers.  One was the 6-9, 215 type with amazing wingspan and leaping ability.  The other was a 7-footer, or close, with the wide, lane-clearing butt.

Beverley, Clarke and Fortson are good enough to rotate among two positions and even play three at a time on occasion.  But this team has a lot of work to do in the frontcourt.

Sanchez and Moore better be ready for a lot of time in the low post.  Fortunately, the SEC is not overflowing with size and experience this season.  It would be really helpful if Washington would give up jacking threes, put on muscle and be a 4-5 type.  That's what is needed right now.

Clark may be a 4-5 in time, but he's thin for low post at his age.

What Arkansas needs out of its wing players = defense, rebounding and finishing the break.  There's enough players to try, not sure about the overall talent level.

Best returning SEC big men?  Jarvis Varnado at MissStake, A.J. Ogilvy at Vanderbilt, Patrick Patterson at Kentucky, Chris Johnson of LSU.  Probably freshmen will be better than some of these guys.  It's not a bad year to go small in the SEC.

The nonconference schedule is tough.  What we know is the Hogs play Texas, OU and Baylor and have road games at Missouri State and South Alabama.  The SEC is going to be mostly young and perimeter-oriented.  Tons of veteran talent departed.  Not a bad time for rejuvenating the Arkansas program.

Tennessee and Florida will be deep with talent.  Kentucky, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss will have enough players to be interesting.  Mississippi State has some decent recruits, size on the wings and a big shotblocker.  Alabama has its typically decent five and little depth.  Vanderbilt has players but too many losses to be very good right out of the box.  South Carolina and Auburn look like a mess.

The Hogs should have realistic chances to win a couple of road games, and a couple's always a good accomplishment.  Home performance will dictate a lot.  At Fayetteville this year are East opponents Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Arkansas might be too buried come Jan 1 to have much of a chance at the NCAAT, but the SEC should rate better in the RPI than it did a year ago.  The Hogs will have enough going on to be well worth watching.
[CENSORED]!

RZRBack_FAN

You forgot about Jason Henry if he qualifies.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ChargerHog on July 16, 2008, 01:31:03 am
You forgot about Jason Henry if he qualifies.

No...didn't forget about him.
[CENSORED]!

RZRBack_FAN

Hogginitall

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 16, 2008, 08:54:41 am
No...didn't forget about him.

You implying he's not going to be cleared to play this season?

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogginitall on July 16, 2008, 09:27:51 am
You implying he's not going to be cleared to play this season?

That seems to be the implication.  I really hope he's wrong.

Hogginitall

Quote from: The Boar War on July 16, 2008, 01:11:41 pm
That seems to be the implication.  I really hope he's wrong.

Me too!  We don't need to lose anyone from this class.  We're going to need all the help we can get.  That comment sure didn't sound too promising, though.