Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vote on OKC nba team name: Finalists are "Outlaws", "Thunder", or "Barons"?

Started by killthefattedcalf, July 06, 2008, 12:20:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the new nba team in Oklahoma City be named

Outlaws
66 (57.9%)
Barons
15 (13.2%)
Thunder
24 (21.1%)
Thunderbirds
9 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 108

killthefattedcalf

the names seem weak, but this IS the league that gave us the toronto "Raptors" (of course, garth brooks is from nearby yukon, ok, so they could play "thunder rolls" all the time with the okc thunder...)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/34939-seattle-sonics-no-more-oklahoma-cityoutlaws

kibster

The way pro athletes are today I am sure that "outlaws" would be the most fitting.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

ashleyswine

Quote from: kibster on July 06, 2008, 12:36:25 am
The way pro athletes are today I am sure that "outlaws" would be the most fitting.
beat me to it   LOL

RevEd

oldfart

i voted outlaws but i bet david stern would never allow that name.....

Beaverfever

Oklahoma City Outlaws has a nice ring.  Definately the best choice.

JFHWGBKRIII

ekyle1

COCHISE

I voted Barons....the others sound too much like an Arena League football team name.

H&D

I vote Barons.

Has anyone thought of the "Oklahoma City I can't drive worth SHiiitttes"?  I has  certain ring and is also very fitting for the whole state. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

grayhawg

H&D

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hawgon

I've always referred to Okalahoma City as "The City of Blowing Trash."  So, I would call them the "Tumbleweeds", or the "Meths".

FaytownHog

anyone remember the "washington bullets"? i voted for the outlaws, but like most others have said, i'm doubting that one is looking good.

3kgthog

Were they purposely attempting to make this team sound like a minor league baseball team?

PorkSoda

with the team based in tornado alley, you would think they would go with something like, the twisters or tornados, though the tumbleweeds as one pointed out would be pretty intimidating.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

pierce1

I think they should be called the Oklahoma city Bombers...I kid, but I do get tickled over morbid stuff!!

darth sooie

I would go with Twisters or Oilers but than again i would never put a NBA team in Ok city. As for their names, guess i'd go with the old USFL name of outlaws but i could care less about the NBA.

JFHWGBKRIII

pierce, major problem.  "Bombers" name is used by a Roller Derby team!! ;D

Baconator

Not that anyone cares, but this is really going to hurt OU basketball. Even when their team is good Sooner fans show a lack of support and have a hard time filling up their arena. What's going to happen now that a NBA team is a few minutes up the road? I doubt a good coach like Jeff Capel will stay long after this.

..and "Barons" gets my vote. "Thunder" and "Outlaws" sound like 12 and under softball teams.