Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trade nets 'world class' athletic talent for Nuggets

Started by woo.pig, June 28, 2008, 01:40:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woo.pig

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/nuggets-deal-bulls-get-guard-weems/

The 6-foot-6 Weems, who turns 22 next month, averaged 15.0 points last season for the Razorbacks. Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien said he's very athletic.

"World class," Warkentien said. "He's so athletic that he can fit in the NBA as an energy guy."

Nuggets vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman said Denver had Weems rated in the late teens among all draft-eligible players. He said Weems, who will play in next month's summer league in Las Vegas, can play shooting guard, small forward and some point.

Beaverfever

booogaga

Quote from: Beaverfever on July 01, 2008, 01:33:52 pm
sonny playing the point????Don't think so
if he is athletic as they all say he is then he should be able to adapt to the point. although i do not think he means that they intend weems to play point the whole game. just in pinch situations like when guys are in foul trouble, hurt, mop up role, etc. but i think small foward will be his best spot and shooting guard.
GO HOGS!

Beaverfever

Him being really athletic is great and all, but that doesn't have much to do with the fact that he is a mediocre dribbler and a lazy/bad passer.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Beaverfever on July 03, 2008, 11:22:33 am
Him being really athletic is great and all, but that doesn't have much to do with the fact that he is a mediocre dribbler and a lazy/bad passer.

If he puts work in on the defensive end, he can be better than Ronnie Brewer.  Did you watch Ronnie play this past year?  Basically, they'd get him out on breaks and throw him alley oops.  That's it.  Ronnie played solid defense and dunked.   Sonny can do that and I think he can shoot better than Ronnie.

Yes, he needs to work on his ballhandling, but he's not going to be running the point a lot.  Ball handling won't make or break him as an NBA player.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Hogginitall on July 03, 2008, 11:37:34 am
If he puts work in on the defensive end, he can be better than Ronnie Brewer.  Did you watch Ronnie play this past year?  Basically, they'd get him out on breaks and throw him alley oops.  That's it.  Ronnie played solid defense and dunked.   Sonny can do that and I think he can shoot better than Ronnie.

Yes, he needs to work on his ballhandling, but he's not going to be running the point a lot.  Ball handling won't make or break him as an NBA player.
I never said anything about him not being a good nba player.  I think he could be a great nba player.  You are right, he is more athletic than RB and has a better shot, so he has a chance.  I just don't think he is a point guard.

Foshodo

the reports were saying that he had shown improvement in his ball-handling during pre-draft... that might be where the point nonsense is coming in... i dont think he will ever be better than Brewer.  I think he will be good in his own right, but I expect great things from Brewer

Hogginitall

Quote from: Beaverfever on July 03, 2008, 12:23:39 pm
I never said anything about him not being a good nba player.  I think he could be a great nba player.  You are right, he is more athletic than RB and has a better shot, so he has a chance.  I just don't think he is a point guard.

Agreed.  I don't think he's a point either.  I think he was just saying that Sonny could play point to prove how versatile he was.  He COULD play point, I just don't think he'd be overly effective in doing so.

Quote from: Foshodo on July 03, 2008, 12:36:17 pm
the reports were saying that he had shown improvement in his ball-handling during pre-draft... that might be where the point nonsense is coming in... i dont think he will ever be better than Brewer.  I think he will be good in his own right, but I expect great things from Brewer

I expect great things from Brewer as well.  All I was saying is that Sonny has the tools to be better than Brewer, if he works as hard as he possibly can on his basketball deficiencies.  Who knows who will end up being better?

I guess Brewer is supposed to.  He was drafted quite a bit higher than Sonny.

We'll see.

Hes All Man

Sonny's athleticism(and I know this is going to sound ridiculous)would probably rank in the top 10 or so of current NBA players.  Like the article said, he can be a great energy guy.  He is quick enough, long enough, and more than athletic enough to guard three positions in the NBA.  If he does work hard on his weaknesses--sure up his ball handling, get rid of the fall back in his jumper, and play with intensity on every possession--then there is no reason why he can't stick in this league for a while.  He may be a bit of a journeyman like Corliss.  But Weems, playing in the right system, has the talent to come off the bench and average 8-12 points a night while playing very solid on ball defense on the opponents best perimeter player.  Denver's style of play should fit him quite well.  He just has to go out and prove he belongs in the summer league and hopefully not shy away when his number is called on when the lights come on for the first time in the regular season.

Smithian

No, no way he is top 10 in athleticism. I mean, the league is made on athletes. I like Sonny, but I can thinks of MANY, MANY, MANY better athletes than him. Sonny Weems has good abilitiy, but, I mean, Michael Washington might be a better athlete than him on the Razorbacks alone. JR Smith is a better athlete than Sonny and Carmelo may be.

Big Daddy

I wish Sonny the best. He is a turnover machine though.