Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juniors/Seniors are NOT the rage..

Started by hawgchill, June 27, 2008, 04:42:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgchill

As much as I dont like MissTake or the VolunQueer nations..

In years past Jamont Gordon, Charles Rhodes,C-Lofton
and Jujaun (Lip al'mighty) Smith would've been drafted
in the 1st two NBA rounds..

Looks like Frosh and OverSeas players are phasing
(even talented) upperclassmen out..

Are Junior/Seniors "showing" too many weaknesses in staying
on campuses too long?

I D-O-N-T like it @ all....Thoughts??

hawgsav1

I think it's too much because NBA teams draft on potential and physical mesasurements and junk like that.  For example, people are dissing on DJ Augustin because he's only 5-10.  Well his former Texas buddy TJ Ford is only 5-11 and he's a damn good point guard.  Augustin can do everything you want as a PG except he's just small.  I know Augustin is just a sophomore but the attitude towards a player like Augustin provides an insight into the mindset of an NBA team.  I think the idea is that if you stayed in school for that long you must have had flaws in your game so NBA teams don't want to talk to you.  Frankly, junior/senior players like Chris Douglas Roberts are going to be stars in the NBA.  Mark my words.  CDR has everything you could want except he doesn't shoot from 3 as much as he should (he shot 44% from 3 last year I believe) and he's a great slasher and has a good mid-range game too.  The good thing about NBA teams drafting too much on potential is the fact that these good junior senior players are dropping to the second round so it's almost guaranteed you're getting a good player with second round pick.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

BigSexyHog

Juniors and Seniors are screwed if they stay... Brush up on your euro languages and enjoy over seas basketball.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HawgAdvocate

NBA scouts overvalue upside a lot of times. Guys like Anthony Randolph (LSU) were thought to be a sure-fire lottery pick early in the process because NBA scouts like to think they can still mold these kids while ignoring huge flaws in their games. But they go to NBA draft camps and get exposed. Hell, Randolph was the human TO machine this year. He clearly isn't ready for the NBA. Same with Jordan out of TAMU.

I didn't even realize Jamont Gordon wasn't drafted until now. That shocks me.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hawgsav1 on June 27, 2008, 04:51:44 pm
 Frankly, junior/senior players like Chris Douglas Roberts are going to be stars in the NBA.  Mark my words.  CDR has everything you could want except he doesn't shoot from 3 as much as he should (he shot 44% from 3 last year I believe) and he's a great slasher and has a good mid-range game too. 

He'll be a good simply because he plays the one-on-one game better than anyone in this class. He claims he's never lost one-on-one to anyone ever, including Derrick Rose. He'd be great for five minute stretches where points are needed fast.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgchill

THANKS for the knowledge guys..

There's NO WAY the CDRs/R-Hendrix/Sonny Weems and all
aren't MORE NBA ready than most of these 1st year players.

An Anthony Randolph type would only get stronger/better
AND more EXPOSURE on the NCAA level...

Beats sitting 2.5-3 seasons on an NBA bench
even if they're collecting HUGE paychecks..
   NCAA needs to wise up and create incentive stipends
to keep some of 'em in school.