Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For you young ones

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 04, 2008, 11:55:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Check out ESPN Classic tomorrow, they are running some of the best games you will ever see between the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s.

Regardless of how much more "athletic" the players are today, either one of those teams from the 80s would sweep any team of today.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Eddie Piggard

those were definitely some of the greatest rivalries ever on tv.  MJ? nope!  Shaq/Kobe? nope!  Bird and Johnson with each of their supporting casts were the real deal!!
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

BrooklynRoss

Man, it's weird to look back and remember how big the NBA was back then. I'm pretty sure every Celts/Lakers game was nationally televised for something like 5 years. That was one of the top-five rivalries in all of US professional sports, along with Cowboys/Steelers, Sox/Yankees, etc. Anyone want to take a stab at naming some others I missed?
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Hollywood_HOGan45

i hate the lakers and am a fan of the pistons but im kinda glad we have Celtics-Lakers....I mean the NBA wouldnt have it any other way anyway...lol

Never seen a Boston-LA champinship series....was only 4 years old last time Boston and LA fought for the title.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on June 05, 2008, 12:29:23 am
those were definitely some of the greatest rivalries ever on tv.  MJ? nope!  Shaq/Kobe? nope!  Bird and Johnson with each of their supporting casts were the real deal!!

Or go back one more generation with Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt vs Jo Jo White, Hondo, and Russell.  I quit watching the NBA when Bird and Magic left.  Went from being a team game to a me game and hasn't been the same since.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Bigfoot

June 05, 2008, 01:55:05 pm #5 Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 02:03:50 pm by bigfoot
I was a huge fan of Magic, A.C. Green, Michael Cooper, Kareem, James Worthy and the Lakers!                                                                                                                                               
I don't even watch the NBA anymore. When Jordan left that was it for me.
But yeah, those were some classic, epic battles between the Lakers and the Celtics, back in the day.

Bigfoot

8)                                                                                                                                                       

cobra kai

June 05, 2008, 06:17:55 pm #7 Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:20:22 pm by cobra kai

I never get tired of watching McHale take down Rambis...

HogSophist

Pat riley calling the repeat at the post-game. Magics baby hook, bird being bird. Mj maturing while getting the crap beat out of him by the pistons...the 80's were a phenominal decade for the nba.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

BrooklynRoss

June 06, 2008, 01:05:23 pm #9 Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:15:04 pm by BrooklynRoss
Hell yeah they were, not to mention some prime years from Dr. J (on a spectacular early-80s 76ers team that included Moses Malone, Maurice Cheeks, Andrew Toney, perennial defensive superstar and 1983 Sixth-Man-of-the-Year Bobby Jones, and, eventually a young up-and-comer out of Auburn by the name of Sir Charles.

Outside of that, you also had the Human Highlight Film down in Atlanta. Dominique Wilkens did some things I don't think we'll ever see happen again in a game, and that crazy gunslinging match he had in the Eastern Conference Semi's with Bird enjoys a Law-and-Order-type rotation of airings on ESPN Classics.

We saw great twilight years from the likes of Bernard King, Bill Walton, and George Gervin, while young guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, and this tough shooting guard with a decent jumper and great hops named Michael Jordan caught the end of the decade and settled in.

As far as the Lakers/Celtics rivalry, there were so many big plays and dramatic moments from both teams packed into the '80's, the wiki page reads like Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

Ah, the '80's. None of us deserved an NBA that good but man do we miss it.

HogSophist

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on June 06, 2008, 01:05:23 pm
Hell yeah they were, not to mention some prime years from Dr. J (on a spectacular early-80s 76ers team that included Moses Malone, Maurice Cheeks, Andrew Toney, perennial defensive superstar and 1983 Sixth Man of the Year winner Bobby Jones, and, eventually a young up-and-comer out of Auburn by the name of Sir Charles.

Outside of that, you also had the Human Highlight Film down in Atlanta. Dominique Wilkens did some things I don't think we'll ever see happen again in a game, and that crazy gunslinging match he had in the Eastern Conference Semi's with Bird enjoys a Law and Order-type rotation of airings on ESPN Classics.

We saw great twilight years from the likes of Bernard King, Bill Walton, and George Gervin, while young guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, and this tough shooting guard with a decent jumper and great hops named Michael Jordan.

As far as the Lakers/Celtics rivalry, there were so many big plays and dramatic moments from both teams packed into the '80's, the wiki page reads like Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

Ah, the '80's. None of us deserved an NBA that good but man do we miss it.

that eastern conf. matchup between nique and bird (87 i think) was unbelievable.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: NinoHog on June 06, 2008, 12:46:50 pm
Just because you dont like now doesnt mean it isnt fun to watch. Plus you dont get too many teams thats loaded with all stars. Also the Bulls team that won 72 would not get swept and the Laker 3peat squad was salty

Yeah, I actually like what I'm seeing lately. There are legit superstars (Kobe, King James, Garnette, et al.) and the new crop of young point guards, headlined by CP4, Deron Williams, and that crazy Spanish guy on Toronto. Not to mention older 1's that still have it like Nash, Eva Longoria's husband and Billups. Josh Howard's tough, Nellie's still running in Golden State, and Byron Scott looks like he has all kinds of potential down in The Big Easy. There's a few young guys like Durant, Beasley, and Rose who also could make a splash. When you throw in the resurgence of character squads like Portland, Boston, the new Lakers, etc., I think the league's looking better than it has in a long time.