Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wild Hogs in Arkansas?

Started by pipehog, June 04, 2008, 05:12:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pipehog

I travel into Oklahoma and Texas to hog hunt. There have been sightings of hogs here in NWA and few killed here and there. I know of a dozen or more that were killed last deer season in the Evansville area of the Ozark national forrest and I know there are some in the Witter area and I even heard of some roaming around Devils Den state park. I want to hear about other experiences you guys have had with them especially you guys in the southern part of the state.

SultanofSwine

Before the extreme flooding this year, the hog population on Trusten Holder and Big Island had gotten pretty high. Not sure how adversly the population has been effected this year but I would imagine it has dropped substantially.

pipehog

I worked with some guys that had property that bordered the C-4 tree farm and they said at one time the AGF was trapping and running dogs in that area all the time trying to curb the problem

MF

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 04, 2008, 06:24:33 pm
They're pretty thick in some parts of the ONF. Our property isn't far from Devil's Den and one of the ranchers who lives there full-time has trapped a few dozen over the years.

More like a few dozen each year from what I hear.  That's 6 miles due west of Devil's Den.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

trphog

They are pretty thick in some areas along the Saline River and other bodies of water going south from Saline county

oldman1015

2 years ago at our camp in drew co. we killed 54. last year was real dry and they stayed down in seven devils and we didn't see many.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

spit

I THINK THEY EAT TURKEY EGGS IN THE OZARKS.  DAMM THEM ALL AND KILL THEM, AND RAPE THEIR YOUNG.

H&D

Where I hunt in N. Crawford and S. Washington Co. they are all over.  I carry a 12 ga. with me just incase I run across them on the way to one of my spots.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

southland

Quote from: raginwildfire on June 05, 2008, 12:43:38 pm
South Arkansas is loaded...Union, Columbia, Ouachita, Miller, Lafeyette and Hempstead.  They are a real nuissance in this area!!
Agreed, there are a s h i t l o a d down here. Plenty to hunt!

pipehog

I've been planning on trip into south arkansas, to find some public land spots or get to know some farmers

southland

Quote from: pipehog on June 05, 2008, 02:31:47 pm
I've been planning on trip into south arkansas, to find some public land spots or get to know some farmers
not any public, but there are plenty of deer camps that would love to have someone come in and kill some hogs. I have private land and manage it pretty well.

pipehog

I didn't think there was much public land avalible, I just need get down there and check it out

BassinHawg

Quote from: pipehog on June 05, 2008, 02:47:45 pm
I didn't think there was much public land avalible, I just need get down there and check it out

Take a look at the Sulphur River WMA, one of the largest continuous tracts of hardwood bottoms left anywhere and it's loaded with wild hogs.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

David†

Wild hogs by the truckload.

edmo

We trap down on the Saline south of Benton.

geoffhog

There is a fairly large number of hogs around our place in the White Rock WMA.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Coondog Hog

Quote from: geoffhog on June 06, 2008, 02:09:18 pm

Yep me and dad killed one about 4 yrs ago up there.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

pipehog

Quote from: geoffhog on June 06, 2008, 02:09:18 pm
What area of White Rock are you referring to, the highest concentrations of sightings or kills i've heard of have been in the Winslow area. I generally do a little turkey hunting north of Cass and I hav'nt seen any sign in that area, but I hav'nt been in there much the last two years.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: pipehog on June 07, 2008, 12:44:01 am
What area of White Rock are you referring to, the highest concentrations of sightings or kills i've heard of have been in the Winslow area. I generally do a little turkey hunting north of Cass and I hav'nt seen any sign in that area, but I hav'nt been in there much the last two years.
East of cass
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

hoggydog

they are in nw ark, we hunt between elkins and huntsville and we filled our feeders this year and they were being cleaned out pretty fast so we thought the deer were going to town! then on thanksgiving morning i'm looking out through the woods and here comes hogzilla i swear he was 400 lbs or more and he was getting it, i sceamed and hollered but he wouldn't slow so i picked out a hole and shot and missed. then about a week later same stand i hunt till 11am get down and start to the truck and here comes hogzilla's son so i shoot him and he was maybe 150 lbs then about a week later right at dark here comes hogzilla i get him this time but he staggers off into some thick stuff  before i could shoot again i shoot a 308 single shot and i couldn't find him so HOGZILLA might still be out there or he might be coyote food but there is HOGS in nw ark.

pipehog

I've got a cousin that hunts and traps hogs with a friend, and they have been killing quite afew off highway 74 back behind the lake that sets by the highway. I know they have seen a large white hog with black spots several times that they guess will go 400 or so. they get fat on deer corn and turkey eggs.

Swino

Coons, Hogs and bobcats are, in my opinion, the reason for the turkey and quail decline.  At our camp, we trapped 90+ two years ago and a guy hog hunted last year and killed a bunch over a few months time.  I never did hear the total amount.

pipehog

Quote from: Swino on June 09, 2008, 09:03:02 am
Coons, Hogs and bobcats are, in my opinion, the reason for the turkey and quail decline.  At our camp, we trapped 90+ two years ago and a guy hog hunted last year and killed a bunch over a few months time.  I never did hear the total amount.
What part of the state is your camp in or county?

hogsareus

Quote from: pipehog on June 09, 2008, 07:13:26 pm
What part of the state is your camp in or county?
Once up in the Fayetteville area I saw a bunch of big Razorback hogs.

Mountain Oyster

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on June 15, 2008, 07:27:16 pm
The River Bottoms on the N. Side of the Ouachita on 167; Monsters in there. always have been.

Alot of those hogs have been known to shoot back.  Not just anybody fools with the hogs in HOGSKIN County.

IronHog

Quote from: Swino on June 09, 2008, 09:03:02 am

The woods are full of varmints.

No one traps anymore...........
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Swino

HogBreath

Quote from: IronHog on June 15, 2008, 11:53:48 pm
The woods are full of varmints.

No one traps anymore...........
You're exactly right.  The animal rights people succeeded in killing the fur industry.    But what did they accomplish?

Animals starving to death due to over population, seeing them ground up along the highway.  Now days you'll see coons foraging for food in the daytime, back when I was a kid, you never saw that.  Competition for food and hunger will make them do that, and probably disease will occur in their ranks as well.  Just yesterday I spotted a coyote out in field along a very busy major highway about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, he was very scrawny and mangy looking.  Likely very hungry too.

The animal rights people won the battle.  But they lost the war.  The very animals they sought to protect have suffered because of their short sighted actions.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

IronHog

Quote from: HogBreath on June 16, 2008, 12:44:21 pm
You're exactly right.  The animal rights people succeeded in killing the fur industry.    But what did they accomplish?

Animals starving to death due to over population, seeing them ground up along the highway.  Now days you'll see coons foraging for food in the daytime, back when I was a kid, you never saw that.  Competition for food and hunger will make them do that, and probably disease will occur in their ranks as well.  Just yesterday I spotted a coyote out in field along a very busy major highway about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, he was very scrawny and mangy looking.  Likely very hungry too.

The animal rights people won the battle.  But they lost the war.  The very animals they sought to protect have suffered because of their short sighted actions.

I agree.

It was once rare to see nocturnal fur-bearers out during daylight, but is now rather common.

Coyotes are everywhere and a real problem.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

YepItsMe

Why don't you come down to Hatfield, AR I've got 3000 acres with the little bastards on it tearing up the land.  You can kill as many as you want.  Already have a few locals that hunt them.  One had to be lifted with a forklift onto a truck one time it was that big.

PigPusher

No one is saying much about eating the wild hogs. I have heard they don't taste very good because of their diet. Is this true?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: YepItsMe on June 16, 2008, 09:36:52 pm
Why don't you come down to Hatfield, AR I've got 3000 acres with the little bastards on it tearing up the land.  You can kill as many as you want.  Already have a few locals that hunt them.  One had to be lifted with a forklift onto a truck one time it was that big.

If your serious shoot me a PM.  Me and Dad would love to do some hog hunting.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

pipehog

send me a pm as well, and I'll help you solve that hog problem real quick and in a hurry, my arrows are lusting for something other than a 3-D target

pipehog

the wild hogs we have killed have been fine, I had some processed and everything I had cured tasted a little funny , but that could have been from the butcher I used. I don't spend money on processors anymore. I just  cut em up till they fit on the smoker
Quote from: PigPusher on June 16, 2008, 10:23:26 pm
No one is saying much about eating the wild hogs. I have heard they don't taste very good because of their diet. Is this true?

twistitup

Quote from: PigPusher on June 16, 2008, 10:23:26 pm

Hogs killed during the fall/winter that have been foraging on acorns taste good...I guess that is one more reason to kill them when possible. I prefer deer eat the acorns, not wild hogs
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HuntnHog

June 18, 2008, 08:00:53 pm #35 Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:03:30 pm by HuntnHog

The lease I belong to is in that same area.  East side of 167.  Across from Moro Bay.  Been going down there for almost 30 years and there have always been hogs there.

JM Gorilla

My family's place is in Nevada county, and we kill boatloads of them every year.  A neighbor had a custom live trap built, and trapped over 130 in an 8-month period without ever moving the trap.  Baited it with dead chickens from a nearby chicken farm.  Seems like they have thinned out lately, but they reproduce so fast that the rebound quickly. 

We eat them if they weigh less than about 120 pounds or so.  Much bigger than that and they chew like a boot.  Usually the shoulders, hams and tenderloins are about the only things worth messing with.  Also, if you plan on skinning/butchering any, be prepared to sharpen your knife a bunch -- their hair and hide will dull a blade faster than just about anything.

Swino

Don't eat a boar, nasty unless you take out the right parts as soon as you kill it.  Sows can have up to 3 litters per year @ 8 pigs per litter.  Do the math.  And the sows and piglets taste great.

razorback327

Quote from: YepItsMe on June 16, 2008, 09:36:52 pm

I would love to come down and help out with your hog situation, and I'd bow hunt only just so pm me if you are serious.