Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has everyone written off this year?

Started by JJHog, July 06, 2005, 08:28:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

Seems like the only thing we want to talk about is Mustain
" Think Right, Do Right"

Swino

I haven't written it off, I will enjoy this season as much as possible.  Now if you mean  "writing it off" as meaning that anybody with common sense realizes that we will not be very good, then yes, I have written the season off.   HDN, his offense, and his micro managing style has been burned into our heads so much so that only a fool would expect 8+ wins this year.  (Ok, 7+ wins.)

I for one am tired of being terribly disapointed by HDN and his cockawhoop speeches.

WilsonHog

Some of us probably have written it off, but more due to an anti-HDN bias than anything else.

Me? I don't get into the argument about what we could have done three years ago, or what we might do in two years, or where we should be "in year eight."  Not right now, not yet. My focus is how well we can do this year, given this schedule, these coaches, and this group of players.  If I think going in that 7-4 is about the best we can do and we hit that mark, I can't be disappointed.  That doesn't mean that come December I won't look back and evaluate HDN's body of work as a whole, but now is not the time for that analysis.  The decision that he will be our coach in 2005 has long since been made.   

With that being said, there isn't much doubt that THE storyline about Razorback football on internet message boards this fall will be whether we're enjoying enough success for HDN to keep his job.  In reality, that may not be the storyline in the Broyles Complex at all.

hogsanity

I think, at least on this board, many are hoping for a horrible season.  They hope this is HDN last year, and the only way to get that done is for the Hogs to completely stink.  THey are so binded by their hatred of him that they want to see failure, not realizing that a bad season this year probably trnslates into 3 more after that while the new guy "rebuilds". 

As for me, realistically, it looks like 7-4 is very possible.  Considereing the youth at QB, and the vast improvement needed in the D, I do not think 7-4 is that bad.  I would love for them to go 9-2 or better, but I dont do drugs and i dont drink, so I am not delusional.

I also do not really care who the coach is or isnt after this season, i just want them to win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swino

Since 1894

Not at all, I looking forward to it!!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

PerryHog

Per wally hall in today's demorag, "six wins is the goal". 6-5 and shreveport. That's the goal for this year. Our coach has been here 8 years, and it will be a successful season if we win 6 games.
I'm not one of those who wants a 3-8 year just to get rid of houston, but it's no hard not to understand where they're coming from.

Theolesnort

5-6 to 7-5 at best is realistic. I don't want realistic I want more.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Call Mr. Sow

I'm not writing off the hogs at all.  I think they could really surprise some folks this year.  But then I think that every year.  All I know is that our offense shouldn't be too bad this year, with experience on the line, an apparently solid RB corps, and Monk.  Our defense will improve next season, simply because when you hit rock bottom (like they did last year), you've no option but to bounce. 

I have written off the basketball team already, though.

WilsonHog

Quote from: PerryHog on July 06, 2005, 09:18:37 am
Per wally hall in today's demorag, "six wins is the goal". 6-5 and shreveport. That's the goal for this year. Our coach has been here 8 years, and it will be a successful season if we win 6 games.
I'm not one of those who wants a 3-8 year just to get rid of houston, but it's no hard not to understand where they're coming from.

He didn't waffle, either. Wrote it about three times just to make sure everyone got his point.

6-5 + Mustain = HDN at Arkansas in 2006.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoopHog on July 06, 2005, 09:36:15 am
Quote from: Theolesnort on July 06, 2005, 09:26:04 am

I do too.  You can bet your ass I will be there cheering for the team on game day too!

I have been a Nutt supporter.  But, when you support someone, you want to see growth out of them...not stubborness.  You want to see them realize their strengths AND their weaknesses...address them not rationalize them.  As a supporeter of Nutt, I want to see him look into people's eyes and say something substantive rather than look away and come with another slogan.  I want HDN to be the aggressively competitive winner he was in high school, where he hated to frickin lose and always found a way to win.  That guy is not the guy currently coaching our team.  He needs his confidence back and we need to get ours back.  Those who are critical of HDN have valid points.  Those who are just haters can kiss my ass...they are just a waste of space and offer nothing to the Hog Nation -- and never will.

Same here. I'm planning my fall around Razorback football.

Still, reading a proclamation by the sports editor of the state's largest newspaper that 6-5 is our goal takes a little wind out of my sails. 

PigMan

No right-off here.  We have a lot of bright spots on the team, Robert will do fine and we have the good possibility of surprising some people.  GO HOGS!!!!

rathog1

Last year was an real eye opener for me. It was the first time I realized just how sad and pathetic some Razorback "fans" are. One of the preseason rags last year predicted us to win 2 games. So these "fans" told me that since 2 was the projection 5 was a great season. Yes, I said 5 wins = Great season.

STOP LOWERING YOUR STANDARDS!

IMO 9 wins is a great year, not 6 because the coach has excuses.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 06, 2005, 09:28:43 am

He didn't waffle, either. Wrote it about three times just to make sure everyone got his point.

I agree with this assessment with one BIG caveat.  Everyone predicts the regular season and just seems to forget about the Bowl game (if you win 6 or more).  If we only win 6 regular season games and then lose in another crappy bowl game (i.e. UNLV, Minnesota, etc.) then I believe ALL BETS ARE OFF.  Losing the last game of the year to another average team to then end up 6-6 on the year will probably not sit very well with a lot of fans and especially boosters.  Not only does it leave a sour taste in your mouth for a long time, it can also hurt recruiting when it comes down to those last few players to finish off your recruiting class.  My opinion is that it will take 7 total wins to keep the heat off and save HDN.  Another 6-5 (4-4 SEC) regular season and the team (and coaches) should probably decide to show up for the Bowl Game and not worry about whether they will be home for Christmas.  JMHO.   

Turnberry

Quote from: hogsanity on July 06, 2005, 08:56:23 am
I think, at least on this board, many are hoping for a horrible season. They hope this is HDN last year, and the only way to get that done is for the Hogs to completely stink. THey are so binded by their hatred of him that they want to see failure, not realizing that a bad season this year probably trnslates into 3 more after that while the new guy "rebuilds".

Congrats,

You're now credited with the most asinine post of the day.  Most hog fans in general and on this board do not hope for a horrible season. To make a statement like that and question Razorback fans loyalty is freaking ridiculous.  If fans like me are negative and pessimistic about the upcoming season and the direction the program is heading it's based on unbiased reason.  Not because we wish failure upon the football program.  Do you think if we win 10 games, win the West, win the SEC CG (or at least be competitive), and play in a great bowl that most hog fans will want Nutt fired?  Most hog fans don't have a personal "hatred" for Nutt like you're implying.  What they hate is having a mediocre program.  They hate losing. For us to tank and go 2-9 would be more losing.  You're clueless.

aka PlanoHog

WindyCityHog

As has been my demeanor the past few seasons before the season starts, I have no idea what to expect.

Lots of returning starters, but no Matt Jones to anchor my hopes to....

The hiring of Reggie Herring has led me to that the Hogs D will finally be something to hang our hats on....but then I looked at NC State and their results last year.....I still think Herring will only benefit the Hogs.....but will he make that much of a difference?

Special Teams.....in a "dunno" year, a great ST could make the difference in a 8-win season....or a 5-win season.  For all HDN is criticized for not handing over the offensive playcalling to a capable coach, I've yet to regularly see anyone blast him for his downright ignoring of Special Teams (other than Biggus).

I have high hopes for Hillis, Monk, and the very underrated O-Line.....I have high hopes that Herring makes the D something we haven't had since the late '70s....

WilsonHog

July 06, 2005, 11:31:23 am #16 Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:33:07 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on July 06, 2005, 10:14:45 am

I agree with this assessment with one BIG caveat.  Everyone predicts the regular season and just seems to forget about the Bowl game (if you win 6 or more).  If we only win 6 regular season games and then lose in another crappy bowl game (i.e. UNLV, Minnesota, etc.) then I believe ALL BETS ARE OFF.  Losing the last game of the year to another average team to then end up 6-6 on the year will probably not sit very well with a lot of fans and especially boosters.  Not only does it leave a sour taste in your mouth for a long time, it can also hurt recruiting when it comes down to those last few players to finish off your recruiting class.  My opinion is that it will take 7 total wins to keep the heat off and save HDN.  Another 6-5 (4-4 SEC) regular season and the team (and coaches) should probably decide to show up for the Bowl Game and not worry about whether they will be home for Christmas.  JMHO.   

Very true. HDN has to avoid the perception that 2005 was a step backward from 2006. A 7-5 record will do that, especially with the hiring of Reggie Herring. The addition of Mustain and Malzahn would be icing on the cake.   A record of 6-6, however, would call into play the political capital that HDN has spent eight years building up.  If that happens, he may live to regret the dalliance with LSU.  He allowed himself to be lured by the bright lights of a program fresh off a national championship, but in the process made a huge public relations blunder that may have cost him support in some high places.

Keep in mind that HDN is plowing new ground.  The only other native son who has been called upon to coach UA's most high profile and endearing sport was Kenny Hatfield.  However, he chose to leave rather than placate JFB and backslap the boosters.  Rest assured that HDN has absolutely no qualms about doing either.  When push comes to shove, will a university in a state as provincial as Arkansas shove a former Razorback and a native son out the door, especially one as adept at playing the political game as HDN is?   

Bomis Hawg

I do too.  You can bet your ass I will be there cheering for the team on game day too!

I have been a Nutt supporter.  But, when you support someone, you want to see growth out of them...not stubborness.  You want to see them realize their strengths AND their weaknesses...address them not rationalize them.  As a supporeter of Nutt, I want to see him look into people's eyes and say something substantive rather than look away and come with another slogan.  I want HDN to be the aggressively competitive winner he was in high school, where he hated to frickin lose and always found a way to win.  That guy is not the guy currently coaching our team.  He needs his confidence back and we need to get ours back.  Those who are critical of HDN have valid points.  Those who are just haters can kiss my ass...they are just a waste of space and offer nothing to the Hog Nation -- and never will.

Agree totally.  I am going into this season the same as I did in 1998 and every year in between and before.  I'll root for them and go through the season as a fan, win or lose.  Maybe a couple of wins that everyone counted them out of this year, without getting the loss that you weren't supposed to, will help get the confidence back of the staff and team.

As far as writting a team off, that's crazy for any team in July -- Arkansas or anyone.  And, some have said they can't get into the season.  Too early for that? I don't think so.  I'm ready now, getting more so each day. 

At this point, I'm ready for the season.  Those who aren't can stay behind. ;D

Smithian

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 06, 2005, 09:26:04 am

That was perfect. I was going to make each point you made. I might have to make that my signature.

Swino

QuoteI forgot about the NCAA quagmire, Imhogginit.  That is a good point and probably was a huge difference maker.

Please step away from the drugs Hoop.

hogsanity

THey cant get into the season because there is little chance that this team will go to a BCS game.  Well, when you get down to it, there is very little chance for most teams to go to a BCS game.  Look at the SEC, LSU< FL GA TN, the top 4 teams in the league, only 2, at the most, will go to a BCS game. 

I'm sorry, but I dont see much diff between 6-5 plus a bowl win, and 8-3 plus a bowl win.  Neither one gets you playing on Jan 1 or later.  6-5 with 4 sec loses gets you shreveport, and 8-3 with 2 sec loses gets you maybe the peach.  Problem is, the 2 sec loses probably come late in the year ( with one probably one Nat TV the day after thanksgiving. 

I think 8-3 is possible, if the bounces go just right, but, figuring we lose at USC, to go 8-3 means we have to beat VANDY, AUB, Ole MISS, MSU, the 2 non conf games South Car and either LSU, BAMA or GA, all 3 tough road games.  Thats asking alot of a team with a new QB and returning just a horrible D (which I think will improve, but it may be a gradual improvement through the year).

You know what though, I'll watch when they are on the tube, I'll listen on the radio when they arent, and Ill try to get to atleast one game in person.  i also wont be on here whining everytime they lose. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swino

Sorry Hoop! Facts are facts.   I have not forgotton the many discussions on the dreaded "NCAA Thingy" and how many blind followers have raked all of HDN's faults and missteps under that nasty rug of an excuse. 

I could write the reasons why, but Biggus is a much better writer than I will ever be.  Here are some of his posts regarding the dreaded ncaa nuclear holocaust bomb cloud of horror.

QuoteThe 2001 recruiting class had three things going against it--the first recruiting season after the first NCAA letter; Fitz Hill left to take the San Jose State job a few weeks before signing day; and we were searching for another Dline coach.  Somehow Nutt managed to sign a lot of talent.  He still left some needs poorly addressed, but he got players.

He didn't get players in 2002-03, when the NCAA issue was older and staler.  What was the difference?  Who would have a problem recruiting after our nice 2001 season?  We had exciting young talent to build around and playing time available at certain spots.  The 2002 season, heck, we went to the league title game, why was that a downer for recruiting?  Real question is why it took Nutt so long to recognize what Pugh was doing to him, among other issues.

Both Heath's and Nutt's coaching staffs were underequipped for far too long.  Root of problem.  Good leaders get great help.

QuoteIn my view the NCAA thingy was a big pain in the butt for HDN, but the reason why he couldn't handle it was 1) he came in with an inadequate coaching staff, 2) its parts were moving around every year from the end of 1999 on, 3) and HDN made a couple of very unfortunate hires.  I don't believe Arkansas under Nutt will ever recruit consistently well until the coaching staff as a whole is up to SEC standards.  Is it there now?  You tell me.  It certainly is not when it comes to special teams.

Quotethe mismatch I see is that Arkansas has a top 30 football budget now, unlike the olden days, but hasn't really gone all out to put together a top 30 coaching staff.  In the past, Arkansas usually had the top 30 coaching staff.  As much as Broyles harped on it, until recently he hadn't put up the bucks.

I know too much about the internal disorganization of HDN's staff from the beginning onward to blame all the weak recruiting on the NCAA thingy.  This year really was the crapper, should have been a great haul, instead it was loaded with reaches and late-late-late fallbacks.  I don't know how anybody excuses it, but most folks won't gripe till two-thirds of this class evaporate over the next year or two.

Swino

QuoteI just know that I want us to move forward, if at all possible.

Me too, me too.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogsanity on July 06, 2005, 01:11:01 pm
I'm sorry, but I dont see much diff between 6-5 plus a bowl win, and 8-3 plus a bowl win. Neither one gets you playing on Jan 1 or later. 6-5 with 4 sec loses gets you shreveport, and 8-3 with 2 sec loses gets you maybe the peach. Problem is, the 2 sec loses probably come late in the year ( with one probably one Nat TV the day after thanksgiving.

This one is pretty easy to help you "see" the light.........Top 25 finish (1st since the 1999 season).

Top 25 finishes with 9-3 records make for better recruiting classes which can feed the momemtum of the program.  Another 7-5 season and 4-4 in the SEC is going to make our program look "average" in the minds of some out of state prospects and will make for another "average" recruiting class with the potential of falling behind even Ole Miss and MSU if they are perceived as programs on the upswing with relatively new Head Coaches while we are perceived (whether justified or not) as being stagnant and middle of the pack in the SEC.

Oklahawg

I HOPE that there are no Hog fans wanting a bad season just so HDN exits. I would PREFER the anti-HDN folks find a better scenario than that so our beloved Hogs don't suffer. As I get further and further from my days as a student at UA visiting the campus for ballgames becomes more and more important in my life. Sure would be nice to have a great team as my grandfather (90+) enjoys his last UA games...
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Slacker

Quote from: JJHog on July 06, 2005, 08:28:48 am
Seems like the only thing we want to talk about is Mustain

Well, my expectations are low. More than 5 wins. I'll be beside myself. But knowing myself...I'll be going into every game when it comes to game time expecting to win every one.

idochog

Yep, that is some kind of "national championship under construction attitude" isnt it.

Sad part is the 6th win is/will be because we only subbed a rent-a-sec- win onto the schedule in Vandy.  I really dont see how that is improvement but I guess HDN just trying to collect that paycheck.

I love Jesus!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 06, 2005, 09:31:28 pm
I HOPE that there are no Hog fans wanting a bad season just so HDN exits. I would PREFER the anti-HDN folks find a better scenario than that so our beloved Hogs don't suffer. As I get further and further from my days as a student at UA visiting the campus for ballgames becomes more and more important in my life. Sure would be nice to have a great team as my grandfather (90+) enjoys his last UA games...

I'm hoping for a surprising 10-3 and Houston finally jumps for some other program.

That way it's a win-win situation.

Bomis Hawg

Every team that plays Division 1 college football builds to a national championship.  Would you have liked for Nutt to say that we will try to get the team back to .500 football during his PC? 

And, everyone talks about how Arkansas hasn't played in a long time -- at least they did not to far back.  Now that they have added them, the Hogs get hammered by the idea of them on the schedule. 

PerryHog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on July 06, 2005, 10:21:54 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on July 06, 2005, 09:31:28 pm

I'm hoping for a surprising 10-3 and Houston finally jumps for some other program.

That way it's a win-win situation.

You hope, and I'll pray.
Amen.