Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matthew Vinson of Alma - **UPDATED 10/19**

Started by Hogtropolis™, April 25, 2008, 10:03:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

April 25, 2008, 10:03:50 pm Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:09:57 pm by Hogtropolis™
UPDATE: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=215155.msg3747010#msg3747010

I don't know much about baseball recruiting, but I will give everyone a name too look for in a few years as a Hog...Matthew Vinson.

He is a junior right now who plays for Alma and he has been to a few Razorback camps held by DVH.  At one camp they played three games and Matt hit 3 HR's in the three games at Baum.  DVH has contacted him several times and has asked him not to play football (which he did anyway this past season and plans to do again this coming season).  He also took the Sparq test and scored an 86 on it.  I'm not real sure what all you do in the Sparq test, but from what I've heard an 86 is pretty good.

Matt is about 6'3", 200 lbs and runs about a 4.6 sec 40.  He is a switch hitting (he's been switch hitting since he was 7 years old) SS, but wants to play OF in college.  He started as a DH when he was in the 9th grade and hit over .400 that year and has improved every year since.

He is a GREAT guy...stays out of trouble, is a very good student and loves the game of baseball.  I've seen him many times out at the baseball field here in Alma hitting off a tee by himself.  He is very disciplined and never takes a swing off whether it is batting practice or in a close game.  The Razorbacks will be lucky to have him if that is the path he ends up taking.

Hogtropolis™

BTW, he hit a HR off of Tyler Wilson tonight at Greenwood.

prisonhog

If he goes to Arkansas he will learn how to strikeout a lot.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: prisonhog on April 25, 2008, 10:13:04 pm
If he goes to Arkansas he will learn how to strikeout a lot.
He hits for a high average and is a very good contact hitter.  He doesn't strike out much.  He could probably help us out tonight the way we are playing.

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Hogtropolis™

Just found out that he got a call from Wichita St. a few days ago.  He will be playing at a major program somewhere.  I just hope it's here at Arkansas.  Last time I talked to him it was between Arkansas and Ole Miss, but that could have changed now that he has an offer from Wichita St.

futurehogdad

June 22, 2008, 10:14:47 am #6 Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:17:52 am by futurehogdad
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 22, 2008, 09:23:49 am
Just found out that he got a call from Wichita St. a few days ago.  He will be playing at a major program somewhere.  I just hope it's here at Arkansas.  Last time I talked to him it was between Arkansas and Ole Miss, but that could have changed now that he has an offer from Wichita St.

If he's getting calls from coaches right now I believe its a RECRUITING VIOLATION.  Juniors can't be contacted until July 1st unless the rules have changed in the last 3 years.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: futurehogdad on June 22, 2008, 10:14:47 am
If he's getting calls from coaches right now I believe its a RECRUITING VIOLATION.  Juniors can't be contacted until July 1st unless the rules have changed in the last 3 years.
I'll have to ask Matt to make sure, but a good friend of his told me that he got a call from a Wichita St. coach a few days ago.  It could have been a letter, I'm not sure.  I'll talk to him within a few days and let you know.

Wichita St. could have committed a recruiting violation though if you are correct about those rules.

Kevin

i know in basketball they can contact juniors by phone once a month
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

futurehogdad

June 29, 2008, 10:32:52 am #9 Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:34:29 am by futurehogdad
Quote from: Kevin on June 23, 2008, 11:51:53 am
i know in basketball they can contact juniors by phone once a month

Here is an article that clears up recruiting

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/230002/

McKnzville

I had the pleasure of watching Matt play in the Xtra Innings Classic this weekend. I was impressed with him. I can't say that I have a trained division one baseball eye, but he was a very good player.

**Dave Jorn was at the Xi Classic doing some scouting.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: McKnzville on July 02, 2008, 11:45:58 am
I had the pleasure of watching Matt play in the Xtra Innings Classic this weekend. I was impressed with him. I can't say that I have a trained division one baseball eye, but he was a very good player.

**Dave Jorn was at the Xi Classic doing some scouting.
I've never claimed to be a DI scout either, but I will tell you that Matt has more talent than Daniel Stegall that got drafted and was playing AA ball for the Mets earlier this summer.

futurehogdad

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 25, 2008, 10:07:25 pm
BTW, he hit a HR off of Tyler Wilson tonight at Greenwood.

Don't take this as gospel but I've been told Tyler is not playing Baseball this Summer.  I think he has moved to Fayetteville and working out for Football.

McKnzville

Quote from: futurehogdad on July 06, 2008, 01:50:34 pm
Don't take this as gospel but I've been told Tyler is not playing Baseball this Summer.  I think he has moved to Fayetteville and working out for Football.

I think you're right. However, he posted that in April when the high school season was still on going.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 22, 2008, 09:23:49 am
Matt and his family left early this afternoon to go on an unofficial visit to Wichita St.  From what I heard they have been very interested and contacting him quite a bit lately.

UCA is coming to visit him at his house on Thursday.

He is also going on an unofficial visit to Arkansas within the next week or two.  I'm really hoping he goes to Arkansas so I can continue to watch him play.

Hogtropolis™

Well, looks like the Diamond Hogs missed out on Matt.  He gave his verbal to Wichita St. while he was visiting.  They offered him a 60% scholarship to play SS.  I think one of the selling points that got him was that WSU had 11 players drafted in the 2008 MLB Draft.

UCA is still planning on coming to visit Matt sometime this week and they are recruiting him as a pitcher, but I imagine the chances of him going there are slim to none.

He is still enrolled at a camp at Arkansas in a few weeks.  From what my more than solid source told me is that if he doesn't get a scholarship offer of higher than 60%, then chances are he will not de-commit from WSU because Arkansas doesn't offer the major he desires and WSU does.

His dad used to be the strength coach at Ole Miss, and he grew up down there and was thinking about trying going there, but they were only planning on offering him as a pitcher (he hit 91 on the radar while at a camp there) but they decided to go the JUCO route.

I know y'all don't know this kid, but he is a great ballplayer and an even better guy, and I wish him the best at Wichita St.

searkhogfan

His dad was also a Grad Asst. at Ark. under Danny Ford.  His dad is from Woodlawn.  I see his family all the time...

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: searkhogfan on August 08, 2008, 06:10:55 pm
His dad was also a Grad Asst. at Ark. under Danny Ford.  His dad is from Woodlawn.  I see his family all the time...
I did know that his dad was from Woodlawn (I grew up in Pine Bluff), but I did not know that he was a GA at U of A.  I know that's he's been at Murray St. and Ole Miss, but that is the only two that I knew of.

bamabaseball

Sounds like he's a good player I wish we could get him down here in tuscaloosa

BigDave70

Ha, Bama-- I hate going to baseball games at Alabama there baseball field is not very good theres always dead grass spots everywhere the usher are rude, but I will give bama one thing they can play ball, and they have a good coach
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

CharlieHog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on August 08, 2008, 05:41:53 pm
Arkansas doesn't offer the major he desires and WSU does.

What major does he want?

Hogtropolis™

Hogndog36

Alma's Matt Vincent commited to the hogs today after a meeting with Van Horn. Matt and I went to school together and I was a couple years ahead of him, but he played softball with us some this summer. Matt was commited to Witchita State but it going to stay closer to home. He plays SS in high school but he ran a 6.5 sixty at a prospect camp the summer and threw 91 off the mound. He was clocked at 97 mph from center field to home plate at the same camp. Arkansas wants him at Center field. He is a switch hitter with power from both sides. Congrats to matt and GO HOGS GO
Smite me..... HAHA Smite me

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on August 08, 2008, 05:41:53 pm
Well, looks like the Diamond Hogs missed out on Matt.  He gave his verbal to Wichita St. while he was visiting.  They offered him a 60% scholarship to play SS.

From what my more than solid source told me is that if he doesn't get a scholarship offer of higher than 60%, then chances are he will not de-commit from WSU
I just talked to Matt and looks like he was offered 60% from Arkansas and has de-committed from the Shockers so he can play with our Diamond Hogs!!!

He met with Coach Butler and DVH for a long while this afternoon and came out of the meeting a Razorback.  He will more than likely be playing OF for the Hogs instead of SS like he was going to with the Shockers.

Matt is very exciting to watch and will be a solid player, so everyone might as well learn his name now!

Hogndog36

Matt is great guy and just to show off his versatility, go watch alma play football on friday and you will see him play QB for the Airedales. His 40 time this summer was 4.52. One of the most athletic kids you will find. He is also very smart. Should not have to many problems with him and hopefully we will get to watch him take Alma to to the playoffs in football and baseball this year. Go Hogs
Smite me..... HAHA Smite me

hawgfandude

Having watched Matt all year, the hogs have selected a good one.  He's a nice kid to go along with his athletic talent.

Bosshog479

Matt is a very talented player. He should get drafted but let's hope he plays at the U of A next year