Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Give your NBA pick!

Started by HogSophist, April 20, 2008, 08:40:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogSophist

This thread is for finals matchup and winner.

I am taking san antonio and boston.

Boston in 7.

The west is LOADED!
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Dr. Hogenstein

80's rematch...

Boston vs. L.A....

Boston in 6

hogsrule44

I am going with Phoenix and Boston

Phoenix in 7

Beaverfever

LA wins in 6 v. Boston.  I hope at least.

Oliver

Beaverfever

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 20, 2008, 09:41:29 pm
So do I.
virtual +1 for being a lakers fan!..By the way...You think bynum is comming back this season or what?

Oliver

Quote from: Beaverfever on April 20, 2008, 09:57:41 pm
virtual +1 for being a lakers fan!..By the way...You think bynum is comming back this season or what?

Even if we make the Finals, I don't think we see Bynum.  First it was 6 to 8 weeks, then it was the beginning of April, then it was at the start of the playoffs, now it's maybe in the second round of the playoffs.  I've never seen a non-surgical injury of a knee be this bad before.  It stinks too because we don't need Bynum to win it all but with a healthy Bynum, I don't see anybody beating us.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 20, 2008, 10:08:03 pm
Even if we make the Finals, I don't think we see Bynum.  First it was 6 to 8 weeks, then it was the beginning of April, then it was at the start of the playoffs, now it's maybe in the second round of the playoffs.  I've never seen a non-surgical injury of a knee be this bad before.  It stinks too because we don't need Bynum to win it all but with a healthy Bynum, I don't see anybody beating us.
Kind of how I see it going down.  Very reminicent of marcus monk.  It's always next week.  I think it is a fair fight without him and a runaway with him.  A frontcourt of Odom, Gasol, and Bynum is just NASTY.

Adam Stokes

Boston and Utah, Boston in 5.

hawgwild1087

Jazz vs Pistons...Pistons in 6

Oliver

Quote from: hawgwild1087 on April 21, 2008, 12:43:38 am
Jazz vs Pistons...Pistons in 6

You just made David Stern, the NBA, and 90 percent of it's fans vomit at the thought of this Finals possibility.

zebra

I think Boston wins it, I can't even guess who will come out of the wild west.

Tfnmusic

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 21, 2008, 09:19:50 am
You just made David Stern, the NBA, and 90 percent of it's fans vomit at the thought of this Finals possibility.

That's about 20 more people if u take out the players...

Razorbacks_77

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Dallas vs. Boston

Dallas runs out of gas and Boston wins in 6.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Spider-Pig

Quote from: dj shanon on April 21, 2008, 03:18:35 pm
Dallas vs. Boston

Dallas runs out of gas and Boston wins in 6.

Dallas won't get by the Hornets. They cant stop CP3

Quote from: Spider-Pig on April 21, 2008, 03:49:28 pm
Dallas won't get by the Hornets. They cant stop CP3

If they lose game 2 tomorrow night, you will be right.  Whoever wins the next game wins the series, IMO.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

spudhog

hoggystyle78

My Celtics over the Spurs in 6 games. It's been too long since the Celts won it all, they're due.

GRIMMHOG

Embrace the Pain

PorkSoda

I gotta say H-Town against whoever.  I heard Yao saw a jamaican witchdoctor and he should be ready by game 3 against the Jazz.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Quote from: donewithdale on April 21, 2008, 04:29:43 pm
Any team but the flopping Spurs.  I'll go with the Lakers over Boston.

Don't forget whiny-ass Spurs.  I've never seen more crying over calls than that first game against Phoenix.

Of course, the Spurs cried their way to those championships, that's a big part of their game.

Doggtown31LCC

Celtics over Lakers in 7, bring back old school baby. not that i like either team or anything, go Mavs
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

rcowen

Quote from: rcowen on April 21, 2008, 05:38:27 pm
Who cares?

Basketball fans.  It's not like it was in the 80s and early 90s, but it's better than it was in the early 00's.

Dwight Howard, LeBron, Dirk, Wade, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett are all pretty exciting players to watch.

I'm not as down on the NBA as I was a few years ago.  They've done a pretty good job of keeping the "thug" mentality in check and there are some pretty good players who are also decent guys.

HogSophist

April 21, 2008, 06:21:15 pm #26 Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:23:17 pm by HogSophist
Quote from: dj shanon on April 21, 2008, 04:43:24 pm
Don't forget whiny-ass Spurs.  I've never seen more crying over calls than that first game against Phoenix.

Of course, the Spurs cried their way to those championships, that's a big part of their game.

The spurs cried their way to 4 nba championships? surely you are joking here?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

HogSophist

Quote from: donewithdale on April 21, 2008, 05:11:36 pm
They took over for the Jazz after Stockton/Hornacek/Malone finally gave up flopping and whining and quit.  Too bad we haven't had a Jordan to put the Spurs in their place.  My problem with the Spurs is that they act like such girly men(replacement for a less politically correct term) then want to play dirty.  At least if they want to play that way, act like men like the old Knicks and Pistons.

Like the 99 team that swept the lakers of oneil, bryant, fisher, glen rice, horry, etc....

They have consistently beat the best of the best in their 4 championship runs....

HogSophist

Quote from: Cooper on April 21, 2008, 06:24:44 pm
At least two of them they did.

two spurs or two championships?

parker was crying because he doesnt deserve eva.....

April 21, 2008, 06:47:26 pm #29 Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:50:30 pm by dj shanon
Quote from: HogSophist on April 21, 2008, 06:26:17 pm
Like the 99 team that swept the lakers of oneil, bryant, fisher, glen rice, horry, etc....

They have consistently beat the best of the best in their 4 championship runs....

They won because they cried and whined and because Kobe and Shaq hated each other and would not play as a team.

The other years they just won by default.  All the teams sucked but someone had to win it.  Those years were defintely the lowest point the NBA has sunk to.

ANY championship team of the 80s or early 90s would have swept that Spurs team.

Oliver

Quote from: dj shanon on April 21, 2008, 06:47:26 pm
They won because they cried and whined and because Kobe and Shaq hated each other and would not play as a team.

The other years they just won by default.  All the teams sucked but someone had to win it.  Those years were defintely the lowest point the NBA has sunk to.

ANY championship team of the 80s or early 90s would have swept that Spurs team.

You and I think alike about this subject.

HogSophist

Riiight, they cried and whined past kobe and shaq. Gotcha

Quote from: HogSophist on April 21, 2008, 09:08:02 pm
Riiight, they cried and whined past kobe and shaq. Gotcha

I'm not saying they didn't deserve it..

HogSophist

They won despit kobe and shaq hating eache other and the other years by default....but you are giving them props? You lost me amigo.

Quote from: HogSophist on April 21, 2008, 10:05:50 pm
They won despit kobe and shaq hating eache other and the other years by default....but you are giving them props? You lost me amigo.

Any team that puts that much effort into flopping and crying deserves it!

HogSophist

Touche'

I disagree, but touche'.

Quote from: HogSophist on April 21, 2008, 10:10:45 pm
Touche'

I disagree, but touche'.

Well, as a Mavs fan, I don't have much room to talk.  It was only a couple of seasons ago that they finally quit doing that sh..ite and sucking it up and playing like men.

Not to mention ZERO championships.

HogSophist

The mavs should have won at least one. I am not even a spurs fan, cept I like the way they play. I do miss the admiral in the nba though!

Quote from: HogSophist on April 21, 2008, 10:16:48 pm
The mavs should have won at least one. I am not even a spurs fan, cept I like the way they play. I do miss the admiral in the nba though!
Yeah, they were more likeable then.  The Admiral with that sweet left-handed shot, Terry Cummings(one of my all-time favorite post players), and what was the guys' name that gave his brother a kidney and then came back and played?

Oliver

Quote from: HogSophist on April 21, 2008, 10:16:48 pm

You're a big fan of cheap physical defensive and boring but fundamentally sound offense?  I guess I can say I know somebody that watched the lowest rated NBA Finals ever.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: dj shanon on April 21, 2008, 10:19:05 pm
Yeah, they were more likeable then.  The Admiral with that sweet left-handed shot, Terry Cummings(one of my all-time favorite post players), and what was the guys' name that gave his brother a kidney and then came back and played?

Sean Elliot.  I loved the Spurs back in 99'.  Sean Elliot's three pointer with time running out against the Trailblazers in game two is one of my best playoff memories growing up.  The Spurs now, eh, you either love great teams or you hate them, not to mention they beat up on my Jazz year in and year out, so they aren't too highly favored in my eyes.

HogSophist

Quote from: donewithdale on April 21, 2008, 10:21:22 pm
Best of the best?  That is a relative description which in this case was the immediate post-Jordan and post-original Dream Team era.  The NBA was entering a down time while the young stars like Kobe grew up.  But yes, the Spurs proved they were the best along with the Pistons.  But how bad was the NBA during this time?  The Nets and Sixers made the Finals.

I would agree with that, the league was still looking for the new mj/magic/bird.

This season has been one of the best in a long time, as erie pointed out earlier.

HogSophist

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 21, 2008, 11:02:35 pm
You're a big fan of cheap physical defensive and boring but fundamentally sound offense?  I guess I can say I know somebody that watched the lowest rated NBA Finals ever.

What is "cheap physical defense"? Shaq has a great new (expletive) quote i saw on espn about the spurs. This coming from a guy that, while probably not getting all the calls he should due to his size, has been charging his way to the basket for years.

I certainly am a fan of fundamentally sound offensive basketball, guilty as charged. Although i think parker and manu are darn exciting to watch.

Oliver

Quote from: HogSophist on April 22, 2008, 11:16:30 am
What is "cheap physical defense"? Shaq has a great new (expletive) quote i saw on espn about the spurs. This coming from a guy that, while probably not getting all the calls he should due to his size, has been charging his way to the basket for years.

I certainly am a fan of fundamentally sound offensive basketball, guilty as charged. Although i think parker and manu are darn exciting to watch.

Shaq fits in to that "cheap physical defense" that Manu and Bowen fit into.  You are only good at defense because the NBA let's you get away with cheap fouls all the time.  The only difference between Shaq and Bowen and Manu is that Shaq gets fouled a lot harder on the offensive end of the floor than they do, so I can almost understand why the NBA let's Shaq get away with murder sometimes.

Quote from: ajs15razorman on April 22, 2008, 01:29:30 am
Sean Elliot.

That was him!  Played for Arizona in college, I think..

Porkem

Boston beats the Lakers in 7  (just like the Larry Bird-Magic days).
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Quote from: Porkem Yung on April 22, 2008, 01:31:20 pm
Boston beats the Lakers in 7  (just like the Larry Bird-Magic days).

That would be interesting.

Porkem

Quote from: dj shanon on April 22, 2008, 01:33:18 pm
That would be interesting.

I'm an old fart (44) and I remember all those great games in the mid 80s.  I always pulled for Boston though.  You had ol Jack Nicholson on front row, a big smile and his trademark shades...movie stars...a much younger Pat Riley and Showtime (Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, Cooper) going against

The old school Celtic greats (Bird, McHale, Robert "the Chief" Parrish, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge) and though Red Aurback was out of coaching...he was still a very large presence with his trademark cigar. 

If we have a Celtics-Lakers final...it would be a ratings bonanza.  Lots and lots of star power and history.  Can't wait.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

HogSophist

Quote from: Porkem Yung on April 22, 2008, 01:50:19 pm
I'm an old fart (44) and I remember all those great games in the mid 80s.  I always pulled for Boston though.  You had ol Jack Nicholson on front row, a big smile and his trademark shades...movie stars...a much younger Pat Riley and Showtime (Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, Cooper) going against

The old school Celtic greats (Bird, McHale, Robert "the Chief" Parrish, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge) and though Red Aurback was out of coaching...he was still a very large presence with his trademark cigar. 

If we have a Celtics-Lakers final...it would be a ratings bonanza.  Lots and lots of star power and history.  Can't wait.

I was a HUGE magic fan. I remember all the playoffs of the 80's like yesterday. The 87 Eastern Conf final between bird and nique (specifically game 7 4th quarter) is one of the best i have ever watched.

Porkem

Quote from: HogSophist on April 22, 2008, 02:09:23 pm
I was a HUGE magic fan. I remember all the playoffs of the 80's like yesterday. The 87 Eastern Conf final between bird and nique (specifically game 7 4th quarter) is one of the best i have ever watched.

I think if does come down to the Lakers and Celtics...it is going to be a great series. 

Although there's a chance the Spurs-Suns winner, maybe Utah, could knock off the Lakers...I can't see Detroit or Cleveland slowing Boston down. 

Whoever survives the West is going to be beaten up and exhausted, whereas Boston will have had a much easier road.

Houston, Dallas, and New Orleans are not championship caliber teams.