Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

tn journalist brief on pel next year

Started by fu-man-soo, April 15, 2008, 09:40:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

http://seymourherald.com/sports/2008/apr/15/an-outside-view/

-How will John Pelphrey do at Arkansas now that the lion's share of players he inherited are gone? He was blessed to have seven seniors on this team and the Hogs fared well. But now Pelphrey has to do it on his own.

He has a solid Top 15 recruiting class on the way but the league will be much tougher next season. Look for the Hogs to make a run at the NIT.

HotlantaHog

Seems like a reasonable opinion. I expect this will be the consensus of the journalists who follow the SEC next year.

Hogginitall

I don't think the league, as a whole, will be tougher next year.  It will just be different teams that are at the top.  I think Arkansas could win the West next year with all the defections from the teams that would've competed for the Western crown.  Depending on how our young, talented players adjust, we could win the West.  Who do you see being "tougher" next year than they were this year (in the West)?

HogNuttz

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 15, 2008, 09:56:28 am
I don't think the league, as a whole, will be tougher next year.  It will just be different teams that are at the top.  I think Arkansas could win the West next year with all the defections from the teams that would've competed for the Western crown.  Depending on how our young, talented players adjust, we could win the West.  Who do you see being "tougher" next year than they were this year (in the West)?

I just don't see our freshmen contributing enough for us to win the West.  Every year you have a few Beasly/Love/Mayo type recruits that can come in and replace just about anyone who left the previous year, but none of our freshmen next year are going to be on that caliber.  Hell, we lost 7 seniors and we couldn't win the West this year, we may drop off as much as anyone in our half of the conference.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 15, 2008, 09:56:28 am

ole miss

Hogginitall

Quote from: HogNuttz on April 15, 2008, 10:18:04 am
I just don't see our freshmen contributing enough for us to win the West.  Every year you have a few Beasly/Love/Mayo type recruits that can come in and replace just about anyone who left the previous year, but none of our freshmen next year are going to be on that caliber.  Hell, we lost 7 seniors and we couldn't win the West this year, we may drop off as much as anyone in our half of the conference.

Answer my question.  Who's going to be tougher next year than they were this year?  You don't have to have a Beasley/Love/Mayo player to be a team that can win the Western Division of the SEC.  We have plenty of talent coming in to compete for the Western crown, especially with the defections from other teams in the division.

Hogginitall

Quote from: fu-man-soo on April 15, 2008, 10:21:44 am
ole miss

Probably.  But, they lose Curtis and Parnell.  They should be better, though.  Warren is a baller.

Anybody else?  I'd say that Ole Miss will be the favorite to win the division next year.  But, I don't see anyone else in the West that should be much improved.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 15, 2008, 10:25:55 am
Probably.  But, they lose Curtis and Parnell.  They should be better, though.  Warren is a baller.

Anybody else?  I'd say that Ole Miss will be the favorite to win the division next year.  But, I don't see anyone else in the West that should be much improved.

i hear what you are saying. i think we have a shot, not because i am trying to make absurd expectations but because as you say the west isnt that tough

Hogginitall

Quote from: fu-man-soo on April 15, 2008, 10:38:04 am
i hear what you are saying. i think we have a shot, not because i am trying to make absurd expectations but because as you say the west isnt that tough

That's my point.  I don't think we're going to be a force or anything, just that we can challenge for the West because "who else is going to do it?".

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ALLVOL

Quote from: pfrg999 on April 15, 2008, 10:45:20 am
He's from Tennessee....

Where was he wrong in his assesment? He gave credit for a solid recruiting class but pointed out that the Hogs lost a lot of seniors?

Hogginitall

Quote from: ALLVOL on April 15, 2008, 10:50:24 am
Where was he wrong in his assesment? He gave credit for a solid recruiting class but pointed out that the Hogs lost a lot of seniors?

That he thinks the SEC will be tougher than this year.  The West won't.  Maybe the East, although I doubt it.  But, the West WILL NOT be any tougher than this year.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 15, 2008, 10:53:15 am
That he thinks the SEC will be tougher than this year.  The West won't.  Maybe the East, although I doubt it.  But, the West WILL NOT be any tougher than this year.

I think a lot depends on who leaves early and Frosh impact. It's still way to early.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HogNuttz on April 15, 2008, 10:18:04 am

I really find myself going back and forth on this point.  On the one hand, I've always subscribed to the theory (in football) that freshmen contributors - no matter how talented - will cost you a game or two with mistakes.  However, in basketball, I'm less convinced. 

If you look at our most recent "eras" of basketball, both groups were very successful as freshmen; here, I'm talking about Todd Day/Lee Mayberry/ Oliver Miller and Corliss/Scotty/Beck.  Conversely, this group that just left was arguably as good as freshmen as they were as seniors; little to know real improvement.

To quote Darrell Royal: "If a dog's gonna bite you, he'll bite as a pup".

In summary - if this class is what we think it is, it has a real chance to be much better by the end of next season than most anyone will predict.

ALLVOL

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 15, 2008, 11:03:51 am
I really find myself going back and forth on this point.  On the one hand, I've always subscribed to the theory (in football) that freshmen contributors - no matter how talented - will cost you a game or two with mistakes.  However, in basketball, I'm less convinced. 

If you look at our most recent "eras" of basketball, both groups were very successful as freshmen; here, I'm talking about Todd Day/Lee Mayberry/ Oliver Miller and Corliss/Scotty/Beck.  Conversely, this group that just left was arguably as good as freshmen as they were as seniors; little to know real improvement.

To quote Darrell Royal: "If a dog's gonna bite you, he'll bite as a pup".

In summary - if this class is what we think it is, it has a real chance to be much better by the end of next season than most anyone will predict.
Frosh most definitley can make a bigger impact on a Basketball team than a football team.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 15, 2008, 10:53:15 am

I tend to agree.  Ole Miss stands to be the toughest team in the West next year.    Alabama has lost Steele, and Riley.  And who knows about Hendrix.     LSU may lose Randolph, although they will be better.    Auburn is still Auburn.    and Miss State loses Hansborough, and Rhoads, and who knows about Gordon

I think we can easily finish 2nd in the west with a bunch of feshman...although once again its hard to predict anything on this team till we have seen them play together on the court
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Dropkick

Of all those seniors we are losing who is going to the next level? Sonny probably. I'll take talent over tenure anytime. As a plus these kids coming in aren't going from Heath's way to Pel's way. I don't know what we may achieve next year but like football I am cautiously optimistic.

returntoglory

April 15, 2008, 12:58:54 pm #17 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:23:17 pm by returntoglory
The SEC will be a lot tougher next year. UT is going to be good again. UF who was mediocre has a young team with a year of experience (and a top five recruiting class per rivals). UK played well once they got to conference and will be tougher this year. UGA had a great run at the end of the season and is pulling in a top 25 class. LSU is getting a five star and at least one four star coming in. The SEC is definately improving, just not the SEC West
...thank God.

Hogginitall

Quote from: returntoglory on April 15, 2008, 12:58:54 pm
The SEC will be a lot tougher next year. UT is going to be good again. UF who was mediocre has a young team with a year of experience (and a top five recruiting class per rivals). UK played well once they got to conference and will be tougher this year. UGA had a great run at the end of the season and is pulling in a top 25 class. LSU is getting a five star and at least one four star coming in. The SEC is definately improving, just not the SEC East...thank God.

East will be tougher, West will be the same or worse. 

oldfart

basketball is a sport where freshmen can be major contributors, especially if you get the good/great ones.  we have (at least on paper) some "good" ones coming in, lets give it some time to see if they are the "great" ones...

The Boar War

I have a good feeling about this year.  I think we will have a rough start to the season.  We will lose a couple of nonconferences that we should have won.  When its time for the conference schedule we will get our game together and finish at about the same seed in the NCAA tournament. 

3kgthog

I think many, including myself, put way too much stock in all the senior talk. We had seniors, but no way were they on the same level as the sophomores and freshmen at other places.

Even if we suck next season we will be fun to watch. We've got a bunch of fast guards, an Al Dillard type shooter, and a bunch of athletic albeit skinny big men. I look for lots of running and gunning. Fortson is going to blow our minds once he gets here.

returntoglory

I am looking forward to sucking next year too, but sucking in an entertaining way.

No, we are not going to suck next year. We will have a pg that can run a system, and actually we could have great height on the floor. With two 6'7 swingmen, a 6'9, 6'10 inside game, and then maybe pb or cf running the floor. That is great height and even better athleticism.

opineonswine

complete hack with a pen and no cred.