Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 more bb players gone?

Started by claycohog, April 13, 2008, 06:45:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogginitall

Quote from: UltraRedDeltaNinjaForce on April 14, 2008, 04:06:54 pm
Washington. NBA potential. Hahahahaha. Good one Hoggin'!

As of now, it is unrealized potential, but he definitely has it.  All he has to do is work hard and he can easily play in the NBA.

arkansasmaniac

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 14, 2008, 04:17:16 pm
As of now, it is unrealized potential, but he definitely has it.  All he has to do is work hard and he can easily play in the NBA.

Agreed.
The past year, Washington is the only player on the team that I have noticed that could BLOSSOM into an NBA-caliber player (nothing against weems, hill, townes, bev)

Hogginitall

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 14, 2008, 04:20:51 pm
Its definately unrealized potential because Arkansas fans don't realize it, NBA scouts don't realize it, Coach Pel does'nt realize it....

He's 6' 10", can handle the ball, and shoot the 3.  He was only a sophomore this season.  Give him 3-5 years, with hard work like I stated earlier, and he can be a contributor in the NBA.  I PROMISE you that anyone who watches him play (as long as they have some basketball knowledge) can see the NBA POTENTIAL possessed by Washington.  It's just a matter of if he wants to work hard enough to realize that potential.

stronguard

Washington had the most talent of anyone on the team last year.  He has the tools to make it in the NBA.  I'm not convined that he has the work ethic to make it though.

You folks that are laughing about MW's potential are foolish.  In case you haven't noticed there aren't alot of 6'10 guys that can handle the ball, shoot, and play a little D.  MW needs to toughen up a bit and work harder, but those aren't talent issues, those are desire issues.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hogginitall

Quote from: stronguard on April 14, 2008, 04:34:44 pm
Washington had the most talent of anyone on the team last year.  He has the tools to make it in the NBA.  I'm not convined that he has the work ethic to make it though.

You folks that are laughing about MW's potential are foolish.  In case you haven't noticed there aren't alot of 6'10 guys that can handle the ball, shoot, and play a little D.  MW needs to toughen up a bit and work harder, but those aren't talent issues, those are desire issues.

Exactly my point.

stronguard

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 14, 2008, 04:38:16 pm
[quote author=stronguard link=topic=213906.msg3336607#msg3336607 date=1208208884
In case you haven't noticed there aren't alot of 6'10 guys that can handle the ball, shoot, and play a little D. 

Sure there are. They are called European players and the NBA is full of them.

The NBA will be getting one more if MW gets his work ethic together.  Thanks for backing up my point, the NBA does look for guys like MW.

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

hogfan0307

If MW was leaving, then why would Pel be spending all of his energy recruiting a 2 guard? If Washington was leaving, we would hard after Brown and prolly another big

roundball

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 14, 2008, 03:40:22 pm
Like I said, you guys can continue to think what "ALWAYS" happens is what you want to happen.

It's no skin off my back. Have a great day!  ;D

uh huh?!

and you can continue to think Rakestraw left on his own without pressure...if you think that you don't have any inside knowledge of the business aspect of college basketball. Rakestraw was not good enough to play here, period!

Boarcephus

Quote from: donewithdale on April 14, 2008, 01:07:53 am
What are the 'obvious' reasons for Britt not returning?  He proved to be a good defender this season.

Obvious reason to me is the days of one dimensional players are rapidly coming to an end under Pelphrey and may have ended with Hill.   Britt is a liability on offense, ie: can't shoot.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: donewithdale on April 14, 2008, 09:17:07 pm
Or he understood his role when he came in was to play defense and defer the offense to the more experienced players.  There is a place on a team for someone who understands their role.  Plus he has plenty of eligibility to become an offensive threat.  Again, we give up on players as freshmen.  A big part of Pelphrey and staffs' jobs are to improve the players' skills.  And I'm not seeing any McD's AA's types even though everyone seems to be drinking the koolaid.  The latest 'hot' recruit is a SG who according the scouting report isn't a good shooter.?  Sorry but just trying to stay a little grounded here in reality.

Part of staying grounded it to realize what a player can and can't do.  Granted he sells out on defense but he's a major liability on the offensive end plus at 6 feet he can't alter games like Hill could at 7 feet.  He's not a good ball handler and can't shoot and I can't see that changing much in the next 3 years.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

mbgrulz

If Britt stays, he will be #12 or 13 on the roster.

claycohog

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 15, 2008, 06:57:07 am
If Britt stays, he will be #12 or 13 on the roster.
He would fit in nicely at ASU.

returntoglory

call me stupid, but i haven't really seen any ball handling ability from mw. every time he gets the ball at the top of the key and drives he looks completely out of place and awkward.

HogBaptist

Quote from: returntoglory on April 15, 2008, 07:58:01 am
call me stupid, but i haven't really seen any ball handling ability from mw. every time he gets the ball at the top of the key and drives he looks completely out of place and awkward.

stupid :)

Hogginitall

Quote from: returntoglory on April 15, 2008, 07:58:01 am

Did you not see him drive and dunk in the UNC game (I think that's when it was)?  We're not saying he handles the ball like a PG.  He handles the ball well for a 6'10" player and can easily get by the other team's big man if they put a big post player on him.  And he can shoot well for a player of his size. 

Listen people:  HE IS NOT READY FOR THE NBA RIGHT NOW.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  WHAT WE ARE SAYING IS THAT HE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PLAY IN THE NBA WITH HIS SIZE AND SKILL SET.  HE MUST WORK VERY, VERY HARD TO GET THERE AND STAY THERE, HOWEVER. 

claycohog

Quote from: arkansasmaniac on April 14, 2008, 04:21:40 pm
Agreed.
The past year, Washington is the only player on the team that I have noticed that could BLOSSOM into an NBA-caliber player (nothing against weems, hill, townes, bev)
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  I think Weems has as much talent as any player that has come thru the UofA.  At times he did anything he wanted on the floor.  Was he as consistent as some of the other greats?  NO!  To say that Washington has more potential than Weems is a joke.

stronguard

Quote from: claycohog on April 15, 2008, 04:20:40 pm
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  I think Weems has as much talent as any player that has come thru the UofA.  At times he did anything he wanted on the floor.  Was he as consistent as some of the other greats?  NO!  To say that Washington has more potential than Weems is a joke.

MW is 6'10, and you can't teach height.  His ball handling skills are just as good as Weems.
Weems can't dribble when pressured.  At 6'6 you MUST be a superb ball handler to make it big.    Weems, for all his talents, can't handle the rock well enough.  I expect to see him in the NBDL learning how NOT to turn the ball over when pressured.

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

opineonswine

Quote from: claycohog on April 13, 2008, 10:18:39 pm
washington's problem is that he's lazy.  it was quite obvious that he and Pel didn't see eye to eye the last month of the season.  this was news to me also so we shall see how it plays out.

Washington does not have the stamina to play multiple minutes in Pel's system. 

stronguard

Quote from: opineonswine on April 15, 2008, 10:21:59 pm
Washington does not have the stamina to play multiple minutes in Pel's system. 

More stamina = more line drills

They go hand in hand.  The question still is whether or not MW has the work ethic to make it happen.

hawgfan80

Quote from: claycohog on April 15, 2008, 04:20:40 pm

Completely agree. Weems has more talent right now. He's more ready to play in the NBA. Obviously Washington is only a sophomore. Washington is a good player and could develop into an NBA player. My problem is the defense. If Washington can't play defense on college players, do you think he could match up with any 3 or 4 in the NBA? No way. I know I'm setting myself up for "They don't play defense in the NBA." When they want or need a stop - there's no way he can match up with his man. And, the first time he stands in the lane trying to draw a charge by leaning backwards - Kobe or Carmelo or Lebron or Howard or Stoudemire will make him look ridiculous. I think Weems is more competitive than Washington.

HoosierDaddy

Back to the topic of the thread title....

Have two players left (or are possibly leaving) the program or not?
"Objective Thinking Lives Here"

Boarcephus

Quote from: stronguard on April 15, 2008, 10:09:06 pm
MW is 6'10, and you can't teach height.  His ball handling skills are just as good as Weems.
Weems can't dribble when pressured.  At 6'6 you MUST be a superb ball handler to make it big.    Weems, for all his talents, can't handle the rock well enough.  I expect to see him in the NBDL learning how NOT to turn the ball over when pressured.

Have to agree...he's certainly weak (careless??) with the ball.

lyon98

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Conway Cool Daddy

Why is their even a question about Washington's ability to drive to the basket?

He is not Sonny Weems, he doesn't play the same position. MW's job is to post up, turn and shoot, and rebound.

At 6'10 you won't find many players being asked to dribble penetrate.

claycohog

Quote from: stronguard on April 15, 2008, 10:09:06 pm
How come Washington wasn't our go to guy then?  If he has comparable skills to Weems but is 4 inches taller.  I don't know why Weems ever saw the floor with his ball handling skills as poor as they are.  Maybe Washington can give him some lessons being the NBA talent that he is.

Hogginitall

Quote from: claycohog on April 16, 2008, 07:49:23 am
How come Washington wasn't our go to guy then?  If he has comparable skills to Weems but is 4 inches taller.  I don't know why Weems ever saw the floor with his ball handling skills as poor as they are.  Maybe Washington can give him some lessons being the NBA talent that he is.

I'm pretty sure we've said that he IS NOT NBA ready right now.  He has the potential (size, skill set, etc) to be an NBA player if he works hard enough.

HogNuttz

Quote from: stronguard on April 14, 2008, 04:34:44 pm
In case you haven't noticed there aren't alot of 6'10 guys that can handle the ball, shoot, and play a little D. 

In case you haven't noticed Michael Washington doesn't play D, even a little, and often misses layups.  I'm sure he can hit layups and play better D, but Pel (or any other D 1 coach for that matter) is going to put someone out on the floor who can produce, not someone who has the potential to produce more.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Hogginitall

Quote from: HogNuttz on April 16, 2008, 08:35:27 am
In case you haven't noticed Michael Washington doesn't play D, even a little, and often misses layups.  I'm sure he can hit layups and play better D, but Pel (or any other D 1 coach for that matter) is going to put someone out on the floor who can produce, not someone who has the potential to produce more.

I agree that he needs to work much harder and get much better before playing a bunch of minutes.  I think he can do that if he puts his mind to it during this offseason, if he's even still here.  I just hope he gets that in his head!

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: claycohog on April 13, 2008, 08:43:20 pm
hear.  (for the grammer police)
Thank you....oh and it's grammAr. we will withhold you citation for the time being. Drive carefully.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: NEAHawgfan on April 16, 2008, 09:35:42 am
Thank you....oh and it's grammAr. we will withhold you citation for the time being. Drive carefully.

your

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: arkansasmaniac on April 14, 2008, 04:21:40 pm
Agreed.
Well, Weems is getting drafted isn't he??

claycohog

claycohog

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 07:55:31 am
I'm pretty sure we've said that he IS NOT NBA ready right now.  He has the potential (size, skill set, etc) to be an NBA player if he works hard enough.
I'm pretty sure my argument was that Washington wasn't the only player on our team that had NBA potential.  Right now and probably in 3 yrs I will take Weems on any day.

Hogginitall

Quote from: claycohog on April 16, 2008, 10:48:15 am
I'm pretty sure my argument was that Washington wasn't the only player on our team that had NBA potential.  Right now and probably in 3 yrs I will take Weems on any day.

I would take Weems right now, too.  Without a doubt.  Weems does need to get better, but he has big NBA potential as well.  His problem is handling the ball and being strong through cuts and with the ball.  If he doesn't get stronger in these areas, he won't last long in the NBA.  It is much more physical in the NBA than in college. 

I see the same problems with Michael Washington.  He's not strong enough.  Hopefully, he'll be here and decide to work hard in the offseason to get stronger and better.

claycohog

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 10:55:55 am
I would take Weems right now, too.  Without a doubt.  Weems does need to get better, but he has big NBA potential as well.  His problem is handling the ball and being strong through cuts and with the ball.  If he doesn't get stronger in these areas, he won't last long in the NBA.  It is much more physical in the NBA than in college. 

I see the same problems with Michael Washington.  He's not strong enough.  Hopefully, he'll be here and decide to work hard in the offseason to get stronger and better.

True.

PeytonManningSUCKS

I can see Weems pulling it up in someone's eye in the NBA. I don't see how Washington will succede against Stoudemire or Rasheed or a host of other great forwards in the league.

The whole point is that Washington is 6 10' and hopefully can have his game develop and work out and get stronger.  I know I know.  But Weems has current NBA potential, not unseen potential.

OKhogfan1959

I have wondered why Pel seems to be recruiting a lot of players. After reading all this stuff today it is obvious as to why.

Well if we have to lose some guys who don't want to buy into Pels system then so be it.

Washington needs to either start working and get better or move on. I for one am not overly worried about losing the guy..Can 't guard anyone and isn't a great offensive player. He is loaded with potential but it looks like he is not interested in reaching for it. I swear he isn't any better than he was as a freshman if you ask me.

If they don't want to be Razorbacks then get the frick out!!!

hilbornitis

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 14, 2008, 02:14:10 pm
I think it is absolutely hilarious that you are still trying to maintain that Rakestraw just decided to transfer and Pelphrey reluctantly granted his wish.  He was getting that $&%* taken if he didn't "decide to transfer, due to something other than playing time". 
Or it could be that Rakestraw realized he didn't have the talent to play in the sec and really wanted to play college basketball somewhere else where he could have an impact and enjoy the game, and he came to pelphrey and told him this, and pelphrey and him agreed that it might be best for both parties if he transfered!!! Wow what a concept!!!!!  Playing for love of the game.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hilbornitis on April 17, 2008, 03:51:59 am
Or it could be that Rakestraw realized he didn't have the talent to play in the sec and really wanted to play college basketball somewhere else where he could have an impact and enjoy the game, and he came to pelphrey and told him this, and pelphrey and him agreed that it might be best for both parties if he transfered!!! Wow what a concept!!!!!  Playing for love of the game.

It doesn't happen that way.  That's a great "after school special" thought, though.  If he thought he couldn't play in the SEC, it was because Pelphrey adamantly told him so.

How many college basketball players do you HONESTLY think would just say, "Hey, I'm not good enough to be here.  I'm really a lower tier player.  I think I'll transfer to an NAIA school."?

If he thought, like you think, that he couldn't play in the SEC, why would he and his dad be "talking to Oklahoma and Missouri" as he said in the article?  Is the Big XII that much worse than the SEC?

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: RanSolo on April 16, 2008, 12:20:12 pm
I can see Weems pulling it up in someone's eye in the NBA. I don't see how Washington will succede against Stoudemire or Rasheed or a host of other great forwards in the league.

The whole point is that Washington is 6 10' and hopefully can have his game develop and work out and get stronger.  I know I know.  But Weems has current NBA potential, not unseen potential.

After watching what Pargo (they're calling him the Malibu Forest Fire now) did in the NBA this year I'm having a hard time saying any razorback can't make it in the NBA.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

arkansasmaniac

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on April 17, 2008, 10:03:50 am
After watching what Pargo (they're calling him the Malibu Forest Fire now) did in the NBA this year I'm having a hard time saying any razorback can't make it in the NBA.

Shoot, we got our big 3 in the playoffs (Joe, Ronnie, and Pargo)...too bad Joe has to play Boston in first round, though.
The other 2 guys have a shot at a ring though.

rude1

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 13, 2008, 08:45:54 pm
Man, I hope this isn't true.  We need Washington.  He has NBA potential.  But, he needs to realize that he is going to have to work very, very hard (WHEREVER HE IS PLAYING) to end up where he wants to be.  It will be no different at any other school.  I hope he reconsiders, if he is indeed thinking about transferring.
IMO Washington has no where near NBA potential. Where in the NBA do we have 6' 10" guys that can't move their feet on defense, is only a less than average outside shooter but thinks he is better, and has no low post game? I have waited to see this great potential everyone has labeled Washington with, and as of yet, it hasn't shown itself to me.

cmakrzrbak

Quote from: arkansasmaniac on April 17, 2008, 10:38:07 am
Shoot, we got our big 3 in the playoffs (Joe, Ronnie, and Pargo)...too bad Joe has to play Boston in first round, though.
The other 2 guys have a shot at a ring though.

The Hawks don't stand a chance but I can see Joe having a stellar series to show them that they never should have traded him.  Joe Johnson for Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers???  Not exactly equal, even back then.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

HognotinMemphis

Hogs are losing players left and right and Calipari just got Tyreke Evans, the top unsigned prospect in the country out of Philly.  And, has other 2 other top 50 prospects on the hook. He's recruiting nationally while Hogs are losing players. Come on, Pel.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/apr/16/top-prospect-play-tigers/

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

lyon98

ole piss signed Mr Basketball in South Carolina a 6' 7" forward claimed to be 65th best in US and miss state got 6' 5" Tawny Beckham from Louisville KY, a KY all state that prepped in NH.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Baconator

April 17, 2008, 01:36:37 pm #97 Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:54:32 pm by Festus Haggen
Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 17, 2008, 01:17:59 pm
Hogs are losing players left and right and Calipari just got Tyreke Evans, the top unsigned prospect in the country out of Philly.  And, has other 2 other top 50 prospects on the hook. He's recruiting nationally while Hogs are losing players. Come on, Pel.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/apr/16/top-prospect-play-tigers/

Pelphrey may be losing some Heath holdovers, but he's also actively signing/recruiting. It's foolish to expect Pelphrey to recruit national one and dones before he becomes a 'name' coach as he's only been at a high-major school for a year.

Oh, and as for your disgusting Calipari worship on a Razorback board..

diehardrbackfan

April 17, 2008, 02:16:03 pm #98 Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:40:35 pm by diehardrbackfan

roundball

Quote from: diehardrbackfan on April 17, 2008, 02:16:03 pm
Nate did not have his scholarship pulled.  Pelphrey's system didn't fit Nate and Nate knew it so he transfered, end of story.  Did Pelphrey want this to happen, probably so, but ultimately it was Nate's decision to leave.

He was going to have it pulled..so basically it was forced upon Nate!