Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2009 Mens SEC Tournament will be held here:

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, April 12, 2008, 05:51:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RZRBack_FAN

The_Bionic_Pig

I think the next 3 are in Nashville, TN/ Atlanta GA (Georgiadome)/ New Orleans, LA (Superdome)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

WizardofhOgZ

They ought to have it in Memphis every few years.  I actually went to one there about 10 years ago - in the Pyramid.  The new FedEx Forum would be a GREAT place to have it now.

When you look at all of those venues (the ones coming up) - including New Orleans - they are a LONG way from Arkansas; especially Fayetteville.  I understand that it has to be far for someone no matter where you have it . . . but an effort should be made to have it "close" for all schools occasionally.  Memphis is a good location for All of the the schools in the West (except LSU - but a little closer than Atlanta, at least.  And it's not bad for Tennessee, Vandy, or Georgia.  The only ones that it is significantly longer than Atlanta is Florida and S. Carolina.

uhshog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 12, 2008, 08:43:04 pm
They ought to have it in Memphis every few years.  I actually went to one there about 10 years ago - in the Pyramid.  The new FedEx Forum would be a GREAT place to have it now.

When you look at all of those venues (the ones coming up) - including New Orleans - they are a LONG way from Arkansas; especially Fayetteville.  I understand that it has to be far for someone no matter where you have it . . . but an effort should be made to have it "close" for all schools occasionally.  Memphis is a good location for All of the the schools in the West (except LSU - but a little closer than Atlanta, at least.  And it's not bad for Tennessee, Vandy, or Georgia.  The only ones that it is significantly longer than Atlanta is Florida and S. Carolina.

The only problem with that is they have the C-USA tournament there.

josh_sec33

They did used to ahve it in Memphis, but yeah, the C-USA tourney causes a problem.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Bigfoot

Quote from: ChargerHog on April 12, 2008, 06:19:35 pm
Finally somewere besides freakin ATLANTA.
Excactly! Besides, this new place looks great!

razorbrass

Went to NCAA first round games there this year.  It is fantastic.  Right downtown by nightlife and many hotels.  Facility is first rate and the staff ran a great tournament.  Can't go wrong in Tampa.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: razorbrass on April 13, 2008, 01:48:05 pm
Went to NCAA first round games there this year.  It is fantastic.  Right downtown by nightlife and many hotels.  Facility is first rate and the staff ran a great tournament.  Can't go wrong in Tampa.

plus you get to wear shorts in early March 85 degrees and amazing beaches/women/cruises etc...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

igotdatwood

nice looking venue, but i dont think they could have gotten any further for arkansas fans unless they left sec territory.  at least its moving around.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 13, 2008, 03:07:54 pm
plus you get to wear shorts in early March 85 degrees and amazing beaches/women/cruises etc...

hey Stewie, I'm digging the avatar, go phins!
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

DMacIsASaint

I think its rediculous to have it in Tampa Bay. Its been in the east forever, bring back to Nashville or NOLA once in a while please..

31to6

Quote from: KJL on April 12, 2008, 06:41:39 pm
It will be a nice change at least for one year hopefully no storms during the games this time.
I lived there for a while and March is, without a doubt, a great month to be in Tampa. Warm but not hot. Water temperature is perfect.

Sometimes a brief afternoon shower to tell you it's time to stop drinking beer on the beach and go drink mojitos at a restaurant--but rarely any serious storms.

It's a long way from Arkansas (17 hr drive), but if you have to drive a long way, at least it's to someplace nice. If you fly, the Tampa airport is wonderfully efficient. Like most of Florida, Southwest serves Tampa (with direct flights from KC).

zebra

neahog

Tampa will be nice, but I probably won't be able to travel that far for 4 days...If we make it to the weekend, maybe.
New Orleans will be nice, I liked going to Nashville alot too. For our sake, it would be awesome to have it in Memphis. I wonder if NLR might ever be considered after the success at Alltel in the 1st round of the 2008 NCAAT.

Personally, I think it would be cool if the team that won the SEC in the regular season got to host the tourney.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

HotlantaHog

If you are so inclined, it is an hour from St. Pete Beach or Clearwater or bunch of the Pinellas County beaches. Would make a great way to spend a week.

Oliver

When will the SEC learn that sometimes the Western SEC teams would like a little advantage in Championship games?

opineonswine

Quote from: bbrj on April 12, 2008, 07:38:24 pm
Florida is a long way for Arkansas fans to travel.  It doesn't seem to me that Arkansas will have very much support in next year's tournament.

I will be there with bells on.

The Boar War

Quote from: neahog on April 14, 2008, 02:54:10 pm

Personally, I think it would be cool if the team that won the SEC in the regular season got to host the tourney.

I like the idea personally but there are several problems.

1)  They might not know who will win the conference until the last weekend of the season which would be a hotel/ airline/ restaurants logistical nightmare.

2)  What if MSU won the SEC?  The tournament would have to be in Starkville.  Ewwwww.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: uhshog on April 12, 2008, 09:26:31 pm
The only problem with that is they have the C-USA tournament there.
They're gonna start having the C-USA Tourney in different places.  I think in 09 it's in Birmingham.  I live in Memphis and think it would be great for the city and fans of Arkansas, UT, Vandy, 
Ole Miss, and MSU.
MSU is only about 2 and a half hours away from Memphis.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!