Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Arkansas win that SEC west next year now?

Started by batmanfan, April 12, 2008, 01:55:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

With the loses that have been suffered by the preseason favorites in Alabama and Mississsippi St. (Rumor is Gordon is gone no matter what and Vanardo is looking to do the same) do you guys see Arkansas getting a chance to creep into that top spot? The recruiting class is the beest in the SEC and a top 5 in the country to add to Beverly, Welch, Mike Washington, and Mike Sanchez.

Coming is will be the best freshman point in the SEC in Courtney Fortson, lights out shooter in Rotnie Clarke, the top JUCO player in the nation in Daniel Payne, a versitale top 40 player in Jason Henry who is in the Ronnie Brewer mold, along with Andre Clark who is said by his AAU coaches say could be better than anyone besides Joe Johnson that has played on an AAU team in ARKANSAS the past 10 years, and last but not least Brandon Moore, a player in a Derek Hood type mold who was the 2nd best player in Louisana last season.

I expect the lineup to look like this:

PG-Fortson
SG-Bev
SF-Henry
SF/PF-Payne
F/C-Washington

Then your 7 deep off the bench. Expect run n gun and full court press all game long. This team really reminds me of Tennessee two seasons ago, as the came out of nowehre to grab a 2 seed. Also of Duke this year, but we will have the better shooting.

I'm excited about Hog basketball again people. And with Favors and Stephenson coming in for unoffical visits this next weekend and with officals later on, Arkansas would be your next Natioanl Champion from the SEC.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

opineonswine

HotlantaHog

IF we didn't win it with six seniors, it is hard to see how we are going to do it with such inexperience. Did you see how Florida played, stacked with McDonald Americans?

FaytownHog

probably not next year, although possible, you got to look at florida this year to see what next year will probably look like for us. we will definantly be back to the top in the next 2 to 3 years though. it's finally exciting again though, and that's enough for now. looking forward to it! GO HOGS!

The real Hogules

I feel that next years squad will surprise many, including Razorback fans expecting a year or two of adjustment for the newbys!

Nolan Richardson was always fond of saying that if a dog is going to bite when he's grown, he'll do it as a pup also.

I'm expecting these young pups/Hawgs to bite a couple of SEC favorites starting this Fall and to make the NCAAT.

Doubters will be in for a pleasent surprise IMHO, due in large part to plenty of depth at every position and our up tempo style of play.

It certainly didn't take Bruce Pearl 2-3 years to turn around the Tennessee program and he started with MUCH less talent than CJP will have for next season.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

LRMedHawg

Where have you heard that both Gordon and Vanardo and going to be gone.  Had not heard this but would like to know cause a good buddy of mine is a Miss State fan and I would love to rip him over this.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: HotlantaHog on April 12, 2008, 02:08:39 pm
IF we didn't win it with six seniors, it is hard to see how we are going to do it with such inexperience.

Experience is completely overrated in college basketball.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

msudawgs64

Quote from: LRMedHawg on April 12, 2008, 04:32:00 pm
Where have you heard that both Gordon and Vanardo and going to be gone.  Had not heard this but would like to know cause a good buddy of mine is a Miss State fan and I would love to rip him over this.

batmanfan is full of crape..

Gordon, I think would be gone but he has not stated one way or another.  Varnado I doubt will even put his name in, he still has some work to do IMO.

I did hear that Hansborough is leaving though.. ;)
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

jgphillips3

Everyone who thought Mississippi State would win the West this year, raise your hand.

My point is that you never know.  A group of players like this could pull an Ole Miss and be great in non-conference and fizzle in conference play.  On the other hand, they could look so-so during the non-conference and find their groove come conference play ala Kentucky.  If these guys can actually play the system that Pel wants to implement and our point guard makes it to campus, you never know.  Basketball isn't football and one recruiting class can come in and set the world on fire.  I would figure us to finish around third personally, but nothing from first to worst is out of the question in basketball.

3kgthog

Well, one thing is certain. At least we will be extremely lean and athletic next year. Should be fun watching lots of up and down basketball.

msudawgs64

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 12, 2008, 10:15:43 pm
Everyone who thought Mississippi State would win the West this year, raise your hand.

My point is that you never know.  A group of players like this could pull an Ole Miss and be great in non-conference and fizzle in conference play.  On the other hand, they could look so-so during the non-conference and find their groove come conference play ala Kentucky.  If these guys can actually play the system that Pel wants to implement and our point guard makes it to campus, you never know.  Basketball isn't football and one recruiting class can come in and set the world on fire.  I would figure us to finish around third personally, but nothing from first to worst is out of the question in basketball.

good post man..that is why they play the games..

BTW, I did not raise my hand...I think I actually predicted Arkansas to win the West this year on this very board with State taking second.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

mbgrulz

Miss St. winning the west was certainly no shocker.

i knew it would be between them and us. both teams brought about everything back.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on April 12, 2008, 06:49:15 pm
Experience is completely overrated in college basketball.

yeah, I'd rather have a freshmen with NBA potential that an experienced senior.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

DMacIsASaint

There is small chance we win the west because of how bad it will probably be..there will be really no frontrunner if the miss state duo declare for the draft

Razorback88

That's a pretty optimistic post Bat.  I think we've got the makings of a good team in 09-10, but I expect us to struggle next year.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: opineonswine on April 12, 2008, 02:04:07 pm
I'm ready for the season to begin!
First things first, we got seeding for a bowl game first!!!

The Realist

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 12, 2008, 10:15:43 pm

Everyone should have known they would be 1st or 2nd.  They weren't some sort of surprise.  You have Jamont Gordon, Charles Rhodes, and Jarvis Varnardo
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

pitbull1

A team you better not look past in 08-09, and I really hate to say this , but LSU is going to have some good players coming in, and a new coach.  This could be a deadly combination for the SEC West.

chiefsfan

Auburn will suck next year.    LSU is LSU  Ole Miss is losing several players including their big men.    Bama is losing Steele to the pro's, and maybe Hendrix.     I believe Rhodes for MSU graduated, and Gordon may leave

Its most likely between us and MSU for the title next year yet again...even with our youth
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

The Realist

Quote from: pitbull1 on April 14, 2008, 12:47:06 pm
A team you better not look past in 08-09, and I really hate to say this , but LSU is going to have some good players coming in, and a new coach.  This could be a deadly combination for the SEC West.
If Randolph goes pro, no
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

returntoglory

I thought I saw where one of their incoming studs asked for a release cuz Brady wasn't going to be there.

The Realist

Quote from: donewithdale on April 14, 2008, 01:47:50 pm
LSU will have very good talent next season even without Randolph.
Their star recruit is going to UCLA since Brady was fired.
Childs, Gregory.

mbgrulz

J'minson Morgan is the one whose not coming. he wanted Butch Pierre to be hired.

they are losing him and randolph. they will be okay, but nothing to really fear.