Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steven Hill @ Portsmouth

Started by yraciv, April 10, 2008, 09:53:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Bigfoot

Again........I really think he's defense alone will get him to the next level. Once he gets there he might get even better on offense. Not sure, but maybe.

igotdatwood

Quote from: bigfoot on April 10, 2008, 11:20:24 pm
Again........I really think he's defense alone will get him to the next level. Once he gets there he might get even better on offense. Not sure, but maybe.

i kept telling myself his offense will develop next year, i did this for 3 years and it never happened.  when he had those "big games" where he went of for 15+ i said alright he is getting it together.  just to be disappointed time and time again.  i would love to see him develop at the next level though, and i as well think his defense might land him somewhere for 10 minutes a game.

toshortrock

i hope the best for him,,i expected more and was excited when we got him,,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Tripod1

He disappointed me but I wish him the best.  I am sure with his size and defense he will make alot of money playing somewhere in the world.

BrooklynRoss

I still think that if someone like Maurice Lucas worked with him exclusively he could improve on offense. It's a "head" thing. If or when he realizes what he's capable of, it will be like flicking a light switch. Assuming the switch is there.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

hogsanity

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on April 11, 2008, 12:02:34 pm
I still think that if someone like Maurice Lucas worked with him exclusively he could improve on offense. It's a "head" thing. If or when he realizes what he's capable of, it will be like flicking a light switch. Assuming the switch is there.

The question I have is:  Does he WANT to improve on offense?  I don't mean that he does not want to help his team, but he seems like he is content to block some shots, alter some others, make some passes, get a few boards, pick some junk points, and let the other guys have the scoring glory.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cardinalhawg

If Hill bulks up more, then he could be a good NBA defender.  He has the shotblocking skill, but need to improve the post up defense as well.

It seemed to me that Hill took a step backwards this season.  He did not block as many shots, but then again he did not get as many minutes either.  I noticed how late in the season, how some players would take it aggressively at him and would cause him to foul.  I thought surely someone could teach him how to take a charge every now and then, but that want matter in the NBA.  Timidity towards someone taking it to the hole against him will matter.

As far as offensive, I just do not think he will every develop into anything more than a mid-single digit scorer.  Andrew Lang did develop some offensive after some seasons in the NBA, but I just do not see Hill doing it.  At best, I think Hill could become a Mark Eaton type player, but I would not expect him to reach that level.

3kgthog

It has always seemed to me that Hill is a guy that plays basketball because he is tall. I never got the sense that he loves playing. Don't get me wrong. I think he does have fun doing it, but I don't think he loves it. He may not really care if his offense develops and he has to find a "real" job.

hawgsav1

The only way he gets drafted is if he improves his rebounding.  His blocking skills are impeccable.  However, it's not worth even the rookie minimum if he can't give at least 10-15 minutes of productivity a night defensively.  He has to be able to get boards...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

imhogwild2

can someone tell me how he averaged over 20 points a game in high school?
Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

jschulte

Quote from: imhogwild2 on April 11, 2008, 05:07:07 pm
can someone tell me how he averaged over 20 points a game in high school?

confidence

Special Delivery Jones

Because he was about 7 inches taller than everyone on the court if not more every single night.  Just bigger than everyone else.  No way he gets drafted and no way he is on an NBA roster to start next season.  In a league that true centers are becoming obsolete there is no need for a guy that can only give 10 minutes a game, playing one end of the court, and only giving one aspect on that end. 

Buff

Quote from: hogsanity on April 11, 2008, 12:08:23 pm
The question I have is:  Does he WANT to improve on offense?  I don't mean that he does not want to help his team, but he seems like he is content to block some shots, alter some others, make some passes, get a few boards, pick some junk points, and let the other guys have the scoring glory.

too often, he has looked like he would rather be somewhere (or anywhere) else than on the basketball court.  ton of potential, but no intensity or desire.  maybe the dollar signs will motivate him a little bit.

jackflash

Mr Hill will get drafted in the 2nd round most likely. Would like to see him work with Joe Kleine some. When he gets to the pro don't know if first name Ray is all I remember. They say he does wonders with big Men. Everybody gets Dunk on. Seem to care more about the team than himself. About his offense still don't think we went inside nearly enough to him or anyone.

firemanhogfan

Be sure, size does matter!  So, based on his size, he will play in the NBA.  That said, he doesn't have the skill.  I wish him the best.

BigoBoys

oldfart

there are many 7 footers around..  its not a rare thing. i doubt that he will get a shot at the NBA but maybe overseas. 

Quote from: firemanhogfan on April 11, 2008, 09:35:33 pm
Be sure, size does matter!  So, based on his size, he will play in the NBA.  That said, he doesn't have the skill.  I wish him the best.

yraciv

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 11, 2008, 11:11:04 pm
Did he miss class for this?

College athletes miss class all the time for sports, so yes I assume he missed class for this.

PorkSoda

Steven Hill could be an offensive weapon, but someone has to actually pass him the ball.  If you give to him next to the basket he will put it in.  If he only sees two passes to him all game, that equals 4 points.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: oldfart on April 12, 2008, 04:15:45 pm
there are many 7 footers around..  its not a rare thing. i doubt that he will get a shot at the NBA but maybe overseas. 

How many 7 footers can you name in college ball off the top of your head?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Special Delivery Jones

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 15, 2008, 02:08:59 pm

I wonder how many of the 109 6'10" or taller players in the NBA anyone could name.  There are a ton of them and I doubt many of the lack of offensive skill set that Hill has.  Not sure how any 7 footer who has never scored much other than on alley oops is suddenly going to become an offensive weapon in a league that is every day making the true center more and more obsolete.  The NBA will never pass him the ball.  I just don't see Lebron or any other player being the one that is going to give the ball up to Hill to get a score. 

yraciv

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 15, 2008, 02:08:59 pm

I want to give this a shot at all the guys I think are better then Hill! Roy Hibbert, Hasheem Thabeet, Kenny George, Robin Lopez, Brook Lopez, Deandre Jordan, JaVale McGee, Aleks Maric, BJ Mullens, Kosta Koufus...off the top of my head

PorkSoda

Mutumbo was never an offensive weapon but he seemed to do pretty good for himself as a shot blocker.  Steven hill has the ability to erase anyone who comes towards the paint.  That will get him a shot in the NBA.  Is he ever going to be a scorer? no, because they won't pass him the ball.  Why? because they have plenty of other guys who can shoot, but I bet very few of those scorers can block shots like Hill.  He will be a role player, who comes off the bench when they want to stop the other team from scoring.

Special Delivery Jones

He can erase anyone?  I find it hard to believe he would ever block Lebron, Kobe, Melo, even Shaq at an advanced age.   Late this season players just barreled into him.  He either fouled them or got postered.  Mutombo actually average close to 15 points a game in college and up until he got as old as Moses he averaged 12 a game.  Hill has gotten that many what like 3 times in his career.  I hope he makes it, but I just do not see it happening.  I am quite certain no one would waste a draft pick on him.  No that being drafted late in the 2nd matters anyway.  Pretty hard to go late and then take someone's job who is already in the NBA.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Man, just when I had successfully forgotten about Hill...

j/k, I wish him the best - I just don't think he has it.

Hope he proves me wrong.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Special Delivery Jones

He is at a camp for players who are basically trying to impress someone anyone to take a long shot on him.  The very fact that he is even at the camp says a lot about his shot of getting drafted.  Heck he only got to go to the camp due to Weems and Townes getting out. 

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on April 15, 2008, 06:47:44 pm
He is at a camp for players who are basically trying to impress someone anyone to take a long shot on him.  The very fact that he is even at the camp says a lot about his shot of getting drafted.  Heck he only got to go to the camp due to Weems and Townes getting out. 

Interesting.  He strikes  me as a kid that might have a good coaching career ahead of him - if he has the desire.  I think he has the mind for it, just don't know if he loves basketball enough.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

rude1

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 15, 2008, 02:07:58 pm
Steven Hill could be an offensive weapon, but someone has to actually pass him the ball.  If you give to him next to the basket he will put it in.  If he only sees two passes to him all game, that equals 4 points.
Someone obviously needs to pass him the rebound too, because he doesn't get very many on his own. He is what he is, and it's not the players around him that make him that way.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rude1 on April 15, 2008, 09:20:30 pm
Someone obviously needs to pass him the rebound too, because he doesn't get very many on his own. He is what he is, and it's not the players around him that make him that way.
Hill is not the type to create his own shot.  If he tried to drive into the lane it would be a TO every time.  The only way a post player usually scores, is having the basket ball fed to them under the basket.  I think that if the guards weren't such ball hogs, we would have scored a lot more.  JMO. 

As far as rebounds, you would think a 7 footer would be able to pull down a few.  Maybe he should have concentrated on boxing out more.

Special Delivery Jones

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 15, 2008, 09:48:11 pm
Hill is not the type to create his own shot.  If he tried to drive into the lane it would be a TO every time.  The only way a post player usually scores, is having the basket ball fed to them under the basket.  I think that if the guards weren't such ball hogs, we would have scored a lot more.  JMO. 

As far as rebounds, you would think a 7 footer would be able to pull down a few.  Maybe he should have concentrated on boxing out more.

Not so sure they were ball hogs.  Just smart enough to know there was no way he was ever going to score.  Had he ever shown one ounce of ability to score outside of putbacks and alley-oop dunks they would have set things up for him.  He never did that in 4 years. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on April 16, 2008, 07:49:38 am
Not so sure they were ball hogs.  Just smart enough to know there was no way he was ever going to score.  Had he ever shown one ounce of ability to score outside of putbacks and alley-oop dunks they would have set things up for him.  He never did that in 4 years. 
I never could understand why he couldn't back someone down to the basket at his size.  You are probably right, that he is just not the all around player he needs to be in order to make it in the NBA. 

I liked having that big monkey on the court the last few years.  Or the "Axe Murderer" as some have called him.  Good luck to him whatever he decides to do.

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 16, 2008, 11:28:20 am
I never could understand why he couldn't back someone down to the basket at his size.  You are probably right, that he is just not the all around player he needs to be in order to make it in the NBA. 

I liked having that big monkey on the court the last few years.  Or the "Axe Murderer" as some have called him.  Good luck to him whatever he decides to do.

Wish he would've had a little more on the floor, because you couldn't ask for a better "student/athlete role model" for kids.

I agree, good luck Steven.

hawgsav1

Quote from: dj shanon on April 16, 2008, 11:38:10 am
Wish he would've had a little more on the floor, because you couldn't ask for a better "student/athlete role model" for kids.

I agree, good luck Steven.

Haven't you been his biggest detractor his whole career?  not questioning, just asking...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 16, 2008, 05:25:59 pm
Haven't you been his biggest detractor his whole career?  not questioning, just asking...

Yes, as far as his play on the court.  I thought he terribly underachieved and was not worth the scholarship.

yraciv

Quote from: dj shanon on April 16, 2008, 10:14:41 pm
Yes, as far as his play on the court.  I thought he terribly underachieved and was not worth the scholarship.

I agree!  He was great at blocking shots, but it was like playing 4 on 5 when on offense.

Special Delivery Jones

Pretty much that way on defense once the shot got past his block attempt. 

The Lemming

RC thinks Hill is Elvis reincarnated!   ::)

rude1

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 15, 2008, 09:48:11 pm

There is a reason why the guards didn't throw it to him, he has terrible hands, and they didn't trust him with it. Do you honestly think that guys didn't throw it to him because they didn't want him to shine and become a star? Hill scoring more would have meant winning more, if he was capable of doing it. Those guys wanted to win and throwing the ball inside to Steven Hill for anything other than a alley oop dunk was not building toward that objective of winning.

junkyardhog

i went to the Sonics game vs. Denver a couple weeks ago w/ Denver playing to get in the playoffs. About 3-5 guys dressed did not play a lick. Not 2 minutes,not 5 , and sure as hell not 10 minutes. m not sure what Hill will do but he s 7 ft and can block shots plus no behavior problems at all. he is very coachable i would think. he might not get drafted but will be picked up or get paid playing international ball.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

hogfanshan

I like Steven Hill. Seems like a genuine guy...decent college player...and NOT a waste of scholarship.

However, after seeing him play against teams like North Carolina, I don't think he has a legitimate chance to impact an NBA team...regardless of his size and shot blocking ability. Dikembe Mutumbo he is not.

IF he makes the NBA, he will have less impact on the league than Jason Jennings.

Special Delivery Jones

The funniest thing I have ever heard said about Hill was said by Jimmy Dykes.  Earlier this year while announcing a Hog game he said, he could be getting 10 to 15 minutes right now in the NBA.

Hawgrox

He beat Tennessee with a jumper at the buzzer (his only shot of the game)....I don't care about his NBA potential...beating the Vols did it for me.

Spider-Pig

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on April 20, 2008, 10:14:57 am
The funniest thing I have ever heard said about Hill was said by Jimmy Dykes.  Earlier this year while announcing a Hog game he said, he could be getting 10 to 15 minutes right now in the NBA.

He also said that he will be a late first-round pick

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogfanshan on April 20, 2008, 10:11:01 am
I like Steven Hill. Seems like a genuine guy...decent college player...and NOT a waste of scholarship.

However, after seeing him play against teams like North Carolina, I don't think he has a legitimate chance to impact an NBA team...regardless of his size and shot blocking ability. Dikembe Mutumbo he is not.

IF he makes the NBA, he will have less impact on the league than Jason Jennings.
A team might sign him to the practice squad. 

booogaga

GO HOGS!