Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dykes says Self may end up at OSU

Started by WizardofhOgZ, April 09, 2008, 05:56:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

I wasn't aware that Jimmy coached on the same staff as Self at OSU several years ago.

http://arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=104170

J.A.Y.

He will at least listen to them, because they are his Alma Mater.

If you listen to what Pickens has to say with that much $$$$$$ laying on a table in front of you it will be a tough decision.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

ArkansasI

Anyone who believes that a man should turn down that much money to stay in Lawrence is living in another world.  If Pickens is crazy enough to offer, Self owes it to himself to take the payday.

This is not 1980.  The job in Stillwater is the same job he has now...  He would just have a different office.

Kansas should pay Self what they are willing to pay him without the other offer on the table.  If I am Kansas, I could not afford to match that money.  It is ridiculous.

When are these ridiculous money people going to start investing their resources in things that matter.  Frankly, we are part of the guilty with the hiring of Petrino.  I am elated we have him, but if it were my money, we would be trying to figure out a way to eliminate cancer or alzheimers.  Coaches salaries, the entertainment field in general, is OUT OF CONTROL.

The number one pick in the draft is about to get a $60 million paycheck before he has proved his talent will transfer to the next level, or that the money won't make him soft.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 09, 2008, 08:39:11 pm
Anyone who believes that a man should turn down that much money to stay in Lawrence is living in another world.  If Pickens is crazy enough to offer, Self owes it to himself to take the payday.

This is not 1980.  The job in Stillwater is the same job he has now...  He would just have a different office.

Kansas should pay Self what they are willing to pay him without the other offer on the table.  If I am Kansas, I could not afford to match that money.  It is ridiculous.

When are these ridiculous money people going to start investing their resources in things that matter.  Frankly, we are part of the guilty with the hiring of Petrino.  I am elated we have him, but if it were my money, we would be trying to figure out a way to eliminate cancer or alzheimers.  Coaches salaries, the entertainment field in general, is OUT OF CONTROL.

The number one pick in the draft is about to get a $60 million paycheck before he has proved his talent will transfer to the next level, or that the money won't make him soft.

It's their money and they can do what they want with it.  Is it what you or I would do with it - probably not.  But they have the freedom to buy a coach, or a university, or a town, or a fleet of jets, etc.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

NuttinItUp

If thats what they want to spend their money on, let them do it. Actually, they probably give a lot of money to that stuff too. (Bill Gates has his foundation set up and Warren Buffett is giving all his money to that foundation when he dies; Those are the 2 richest dudes in the US, so thats always a good thing.) Everyone has the right to do whatever they want with the money they earn, though.

idiotghos

Gosh guys, you think kansas will come after pel?

Smithian

PorkerOinker

Self is not going anywhere. His win Monday night just laid the concrete for a program the likes of which college basketball has not seen since UCLA. Self has made Kansas a Top 3 program IMO, and he knows it. Just wait with the new NBA age limit he will be able to keep players another year longer. He will never be able to do at OSU what he has done at Kansas, OSU is not, never has been, nor will it ever be the Program that Kansas is, and Self knows this. Alma Mater or not it is all about winning, because Kansas will give him plenty of money. Sorry T Boone even you do not have enough money to get Billy out of Lawrence.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Hoggish1

Quote from: PorkerOinker on April 10, 2008, 12:02:49 am
Self is not going anywhere. His win Monday night just laid the concrete for a program the likes of which college basketball has not seen since UCLA. Self has made Kansas a Top 3 program IMO, and he knows it. Just wait with the new NBA age limit he will be able to keep players another year longer. He will never be able to do at OSU what he has done at Kansas, OSU is not, never has been, nor will it ever be the Program that Kansas is, and Self knows this. Alma Mater or not it is all about winning, because Kansas will give him plenty of money. Sorry T Boone even you do not have enough money to get Billy out of Lawrence.

For someone like Self, getting there and the challenges presented in doing so is what it's about.  I do not think Kansas wins a title next year.  So, why not take the big check and start building?

You get to have your cake and eat it...

oldfart

would be hard to look my family in the eye and turn down a 6 mill check just for signing, plus what i would be paid when i got there. 

opineonswine

he should take the money and run.  no where to go at KU but DOWN.

tbhogfan

I think that the OSU job is going to be the equivalent of the Arkansas Football job last year:  Lots of coaches (and agents) making sure their name is attached as having some interest, so they can get a nice pay raise. 

Self is going to be offered multiple years and a nice salary to stay.  The question he will have to answer is "Would I rather be a millionaire in Lawrence or Stillwater?"
Go Hogs!

farmhawg

After all the grief the Kansas fans gave Self over the last few years, I think he will leave for OSU.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Gas Can

Quote from: idiotghos on April 09, 2008, 11:00:01 pm
Gosh guys, you think kansas will come after pel?

Pel is not a proven coach...yet.

HogNuttz

The job in Stillwater is the same job he has now...  He would just have a different office.

Umm.....no.  And on another note.....no.

Quote from: farmhawg on April 10, 2008, 10:06:44 am
After all the grief the Kansas fans gave Self over the last few years, I think he will leave for OSU.

I have ties to KU and follow the Kansas program very closely as they are my number 2 team.  Self didn't get much grief from Kansas fans.  The majority of the grief was caused by national media and people outside the program.  The big "complaint" was that his teams don't perform well in the tourney.  Well, they made the elite 8 last year and won it all this year so those people don't really have a leg to stand on.  I'm not saying he didn't catch any grief over the Bucknell loss and such, but the perception outside the KU fanbase is somewhat different than the preception inside the fan base, much like our hiring of Petrino.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

The Boar War

Quote from: PorkerOinker on April 10, 2008, 12:02:49 am

Kansas is a good program to be sure but without a missed shot by Davidson they wouldn't have made it to the final four.  If Memphis had made one more freethrow in regulation they wouldn't have won a national championship.  The UCLA run was amazing and we will never see the likes of it again.  I see Kansas putting up more of a run like Kentucky under Pitino.

I'm not exactly sure what Kansas has coming back next year.  Some have said there's a talent drop off.  I'm sure it's good quality (they are Kansas) but is it as good as what UNC is bringing together?  I doubt it.

I agree with you about OSU.  It will never be as good a job as Kansas no matter the amount of money put into the program.  It comes down to whether or not Bill Self is ready to settle down or whether he wants to stay in contention for national champioships.   

PorkerOinker

Quote from: The Boar War on April 10, 2008, 02:56:25 pm
Kansas is a good program to be sure but without a missed shot by Davidson they wouldn't have made it to the final four.  If Memphis had made one more freethrow in regulation they wouldn't have won a national championship.  The UCLA run was amazing and we will never see the likes of it again.  I see Kansas putting up more of a run like Kentucky under Pitino.

I'm not exactly sure what Kansas has coming back next year.  Some have said there's a talent drop off.  I'm sure it's good quality (they are Kansas) but is it as good as what UNC is bringing together?  I doubt it.

I agree with you about OSU.  It will never be as good a job as Kansas no matter the amount of money put into the program.  It comes down to whether or not Bill Self is ready to settle down or whether he wants to stay in contention for national champioships.   

No offense, but thanks for stating the obvious about the missed shot by Davidson and the missed free throws by Memphis. So I guess because Davidson missed the shot and Memphis missed the FT, that KU is not deserving of the National Champioship. That is like saying well UNC would have been the National Champion if Kansas had not made there big run and got up early on them 40 to 12.

The point is not that one team missed a FT or one team missed a Shot. The point is that Kansas hit there shots and FT's when they needed to, bottom line they won the game they are the National Champions. And by winning that game that has put Self in a position to take an already storied Program to a higher level.

For those of you that say there is nowhere to go at Kansas but down, you are wrong. That is like saying when John Wooden won his first NC at UCLA he had nowhere to go but down I don't think so. Self has every opourtunity to take Ku even higher how about more National Championships. Take my word for it Bill Self will win another NC within 5 years at KU. It doesn't matter who he has leaving after this year being at a school like KU and winning his first NC will only bring more and more big time recruits to Lawrence. And as I stated earlier, especially with the new NBA age requirement this will only help Self more forcing big time players to stay in college longer.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: KJL on April 10, 2008, 05:31:15 pm
I am sure KU will lose plenty of those guys. I guess its not shocking he stayed. I wonder where OSU goes now?

Guy's it does not matter where OSU goes and gets a coach they will still consistently be the fourth or fifth best team in the Big 12 occasionally maybe making a run and coming out on top of the Big 12. OSU will never become a consistantly dominant team in the Big 12 if either football or basketball in the Big 12. They will never be able to top Texas or OU or even Nebraska or aTm in football. And will always fall short of Texas, Kansas, and possbily aTm now in basketball.