Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sonny Weems story

Started by Swino, April 09, 2008, 10:30:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Swino

If you watched the slam dunk contest, you might have seen Sonny take his jersey off after winning the contest... here is the rest of the story.

Before the slam dunk contest, Sonny was talking to a guy in the stands that is from Arkansas and is a HUGE Hog fan.  As the conversation went on, Sonny found out that the guy was wounded in Afghanistan and is now based in San Antonio for rehab.  Sonny won the contest and then walked strait over the the soldier, took off his jersey and gave it to him.   
:razorback:

crowe6_1

Class act...Hate to loose him.

fu-man-soo

he put on a great show that night.  good for sonny

DoggtownHog

That is a really cool thing for him to do. Just the fact that he took the time to get to know a stranger, then was able to give him something that the guy will cherish forever. This is the type of behavior and character that all representitives of any university should display. I don't think that alot of athletes in college really understand that they are representing their school both on and off the court. Good job Sonny, way to represent! WPS!
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

grayhawg

Sonny you showed yourself to be a class act, and a great example of what it means to be a Razorback Basketball Player.WPS

Buff

too bad that didnt get caught on camera

HogBaptist

Quote from: Buffinator on April 09, 2008, 11:10:51 am
too bad that didnt get caught on camera

i don't think he is worried about that.  but it is too bad that not everyone knows this story.

Buff

Quote from: HogBaptist on April 09, 2008, 11:23:03 am
i don't think he is worried about that.  but it is too bad that not everyone knows this story.

i was just saying that b/c i want to see it

hillhog

Sounds like Sonny Weems is a good person in addition to being a great player. Good to hear of these type things. Congratulations to Sonny and his parents.
Here's wishing the best of the best to come for Sonny.

OKhogfan1959

Wow!! Great job Sonny!! Good things happen to good people and I hope Sonny makes it in the NBA..I am betting he will..

booogaga

that is pretty cool. heck now that they are no longer ncaa athletes they can sell that stuff, LOL. all kidding aside though thats pretty cool.
GO HOGS!

booogaga

Quote from: LawnHog48 on April 09, 2008, 12:09:35 pm
Wow!! Great job Sonny!! Good things happen to good people and I hope Sonny makes it in the NBA..I am betting he will..
he will at least get a shot. anyone who has the leaping ability that he does will get a look, plus the nba always needs jump shooters.
GO HOGS!

pitbull1

Way to go, Sonny!!!!  Arkansas is proud of you!!!

J.A.Y.

Man I like him even more...It's good to know that some people are raising their kids right now a days.

Congrats to Sonny's Family they have raised a great young man.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

jsdaugh

I totally agree.   I was glad that Sonny was given the chance to play for us, coming from a Junior College and being able to rise to the expectations this year.  I wish we had him for a couple more, but I hope he will have better luck in the pros.  Good luck Sonny!  Thanks for being a Razorback!

BradyHolzhauer

Sonny Weems=my favorite Razorback basketball player ever.  Being 18, I haven't seen as many as you guys, but of the guys I've seen (and had the chance to talk to) Sonny is by far my favorite.

Garden Hog

Cool story.  Wish we had him for all 4 yrs

farmhawg

thanks, that is a great story. He sounds like a class act.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Rocky Mountain Living

Thanks Sonny....will be rooting for you at the next level...You have been by far one of the best to ever don a jersey! 

cosmodrum

Good job, Sonny. Gonna miss ya.

Go away, batin'

BrooklynRoss

Class act. West Memphis represent.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

firemanhogfan

Thanks for the great story.  Sadly, to often we hear way to many negative stories.  There still are some good folks out there.  GHG & Sonny.

secfan30

I am proud he is an Arkansan.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Swino on April 09, 2008, 10:30:28 am
If you watched the slam dunk contest, you might have seen Sonny take his jersey off after winning the contest... here is the rest of the story.

Before the slam dunk contest, Sonny was talking to a guy in the stands that is from Arkansas and is a HUGE Hog fan.  As the conversation went on, Sonny found out that the guy was wounded in Afghanistan and is now based in San Antonio for rehab.  Sonny won the contest and then walked strait over the the soldier, took off his jersey and gave it to him.   

Guess you didn't hear rest of the story. The guy lied about being in Afghanistan. He was injured in a car accident there in San Antonio. Weems got used.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Swino

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 17, 2008, 01:24:51 pm
Guess you didn't hear rest of the story. The guy lied about being in Afghanistan. He was injured in a car accident there in San Antonio. Weems got used.

You should have added that the guy sold the jersey and bought meth with the proceeds.  That would have been funny.

cosmodrum

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 17, 2008, 01:24:51 pm

Seriously?
Go away, batin'

HogBaptist

Quote from: Swino on April 17, 2008, 04:19:24 pm
You should have added that the guy sold the jersey and bought meth with the proceeds.  That would have been funny.

That would have made it too believable being from Arkansas.

cosmodrum

Quote from: HogBaptist on April 17, 2008, 04:30:01 pm
That would have made it too believable being from Arkansas.

lol
Go away, batin'

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Swino on April 17, 2008, 04:19:24 pm

Damn it...wish I'd thought of that.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.