Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

lsu job - Trent Johnson

Started by fu-man-soo, April 09, 2008, 10:08:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

April 09, 2008, 10:08:47 am Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 12:02:22 pm by fu-man-soo
http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1207725619294850.xml&coll=1

i dont know why they just dont hire grant. if he was good enough to replace billy donovan they ought to snatch him up. 

trent johnson

RedSatinHog

My guess is that they'll hire Pierre on a full-time basis, but this whole thing strikes me as wierd with all the whisperings about Gillispie possibly leaving UK.  Ford would jump at that opportunity, and I really believe it is the only job he'd leave UMass for. 
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

grayhawg

April 09, 2008, 10:45:35 am #2 Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:53:49 am by grayhawg
 this whole thing strikes me as wierd with all the whisperings about Gillispie possibly leaving UK.  Ford would jump at that opportunity, and I really believe it is the only job he'd leave UMass for. 

Travis Ford may have already been approached about UK job. I don't think Self will go to OSU but if the money is right Billy Clyde will.

idiotghos

Quote from: fu-man-soo on April 09, 2008, 10:08:47 am

i dont know why they just dont hire grant.

I can't for the life of me remember where, but I could've sworn I saw somewhere that he said he wanted to stay at VCU, at least for the time being.

Razorod

Quote from: idiotghos on April 09, 2008, 10:50:31 am
I can't for the life of me remember where, but I could've sworn I saw somewhere that he said he wanted to stay at VCU, at least for the time being.
The rumor that I've seen/read is that the job he really wants is the Fla. St job. It's in his native Florida and he wouldn't have to compete in the same division of the same conference with Donovan. So apparently he's willing to wait it out at VCU if this rumor is true.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

rhog1

Looks like LSU may have hired Trent Johnson. it is all over tiger droppings. 

darth sooie

April 09, 2008, 01:15:02 pm #7 Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:17:09 pm by darth sooie
I thought they were getting the umass coach but maybe he said no and  is waiting for the UK job if all these crazy ok state rumors pan out. Yet, who knows what UK would do if billy G bolted. As for lsu, not a bad hire, wonder if the newly hired cal coach will pull an altman and head back to stanford. 

akgjsg

NOLA.com is reporting that Johnson is the new coach also!!

The Boar War

Not a bad hire at all.  The Travis Ford deal makes it seem more and more like Gillespie is going to leave.   

Tammany Tom

Quote from: darth sooie on April 09, 2008, 01:15:02 pm
I thought they were getting the umass coach but maybe he said no and  is waiting for the UK job if all these crazy ok state rumors pan out. Yet, who knows what UK would do if billy G bolted. As for lsu, not a bad hire, wonder if the newly hired cal coach will pull an altman and head back to stanford. 

LSU was all set to hire Travis Ford and he wanted the job, but there was one major glitch. The BOS wanted a new AD hired first. So.........LSU hired Joe Alleva, Duke's AD as our new AD last Thursday. One of the conditions of the AD hire was that Alleva would have a major say in the new basketball coach. Alleva nixed the Ford hire and put together his own top three, which included Clemson's Oliver Purnell, Notre Dame's Mike Brey, and Trent Johnson. Purnell was offered the job yesterday with a 10 hour deadline. He turned down the job and it was offered to Johnson who accepted.

BTW, Anthony Grant was LSU's number one target from day one. He turned LSU down, LSU did not turn him down. 

RedSatinHog

Quote from: darth sooie on April 09, 2008, 01:15:02 pm

Yeah, in other words, Ford is waiting to see if the UK job opens up in much the same way as Gillispie did last season.

I can honestly see BCG jumping to OSU for no other reason than to get himself out of the Lexington Fishbowl.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

AnthroHog

hawgsav1

Wow...Trent Johnson.  This is a big hire.  He's done well at Stanford...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Kevin

joe alleva destroyed every program at duke.  travis ford would have been better for lsu
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

NuttinItUp

UCARazorback

Wow, that's a really good pick up for LSU right there.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Kevin on April 09, 2008, 04:31:37 pm
joe alleva destroyed every program at duke.  travis ford would have been better for lsu

Well...............for a school that is really only known, athletically, for basketball and lacrosse, they are currently in 21st place in the Sears Cup Standings. That is ahead of schools such as Georgia, Kentucky, Auburn, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Arkansas.

Not too bad for a small private school with extremely high academic standards. 

igotdatwood

how did they get trent johnson to leave stanford for lsu?  must have been a nice lump of cash. 

Hoggy Bear

Quote from: igotdatwood on April 09, 2008, 07:53:59 pm
how did they get trent johnson to leave stanford for lsu?  must have been a nice lump of cash. 

Well, the twins are declaring for the draft...will be a different team for him next year.  He may as well been on the hot seat next year at Stanford.

NuttinItUp

He is going to be the first permanent black head coach in LSU school history in any sport. That's pretty amazing.

Bigfoot

I guess Travis Ford is holding out for Kentucky? Johnson does seem to be a good pickup for LSU though.

rljjr

Well this will make my UK friends much happier. They love Ford and didn't want him "dating the ugly girl who talks funny."